Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Goddamn, gently caress those jerks.

I'd have been tempted to reverse over them first.

[post removed for posting violence] [thread locked]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...
AITA for wearing jeans and a top at my sister's wedding?

quote:

I (19f) have a more masculine style. I'm a straight cis woman btw so before anyone brings up my sexuality or gender let's get this out of the way. I simply dress more masculine and casual. I never liked doing my hair or my makeup and I was never into that feminine stuff.

My sister got married last week and ever since her wedding planning started taking place I've been told that I should dress appropriately for the wedding. They expected me to make my hair or makeup but this is just not for me. I'm not like that at all and I don't think I should change the way I am for a wedding. My mom kept telling me to at least wear something nice even if it's not a dress but honestly I didn't feel comfortable in anything. I tried on some suits etc and while they looked nice this is not my style at all. I mostly wear jeans and sweats so I decided to simply wear a more expensive and "stylish" pair of jeans that I own with a blue top that is not casual but not formal either. But it's the best I could do so I'd not be 100% casual but also feel comfortable. At first I was denied entrance at the venue because the venue is black tie only but my sister tried to convince the owner to let this go this once because I'm her sister.

My sister barely spoke to me or acknowledged me all night. After the wedding my parents kept telling me how immature I was about the whole thing and that I owe my sister an apology. I thought it was going to the extremes making such a big deal out of some outfits. I called my sister trying to talk it out and I said that we should really let this go, it's just clothes. My sister then started ranting about how on her wedding day she had to stress about convincing the owner of the venue to let me in because I couldn't follow one simple and common rule. She said that me proving how different I am was more important than making a small compromise and wearing a suit at least. I explained how its such a stupid argument because why would I have to wear a suit and how shalow she is for caring so much about appearances and outfits and that her wedding should be special to her beyond the sparkles and the expensive hair and makeup. She told me I'm an AH because just because something isn't important to me doesn't mean that it can't be important to her and she said she regrets wasting her time trying to talk to the venue owner because I clearly did not deserve it and I want to seem like I'm better and more different than her.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
Ready for some purestrain :stonk:?

AITA for telling my friend the cashier is only nice to him because it’s her job?

quote:

So there’s a new cashier at a local grocery store, and she’s admittedly good looking and nice. I (m23) was shopping there with my (m24) friend a while ago and ever since then he’s been ecstatic about going there. He’s obviously into her, and he’s going on and on about how she’s into him too.

The thing is, she’s just being nice to him. She’s nice to me too. It’s her job, right?

My friend has been saying things like, he’s learning her schedule and that she always makes his day. He also wants to ask for her number. I tell him that the only reason she’s being nice to him is because it’s her job. He’s a customer. She’s nice to everyone. He needs to get over his obsession. He got really upset, called me an ah, said I’m jealous etc.

And so, I work at an adult shop, right? We get a looot of weird customers. I’ve experienced harassment at work and even more so has my female coworkers. So I know what it feels like, and I’ve seen real stalker behaviour. We can’t have our girls closing alone because some people wait outside just to be creeps. I tell this to my friend to explain my reasoning. He needs to respect this girls workplace.

He still doesn’t get it. Says he’d never be one of those and that he knows she’s into him too and I’m trying to steal her by being a “nice guy”. He basically stopped talking to me just because I told him to be respectful. I mean SURE, she could very well be into him. But let her take the lead then.

Am I an ah for saying all that? I really don’t think I am, but a couple of our friends said it’s none of my business and I should let him figure it out himself.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Evil Willow posted:

YTA. You will not shrivel away and die wearing a suit for one godbedamned day.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Even slacks and a blouse! Anything would have been better than jeans and a top "that's not casual but not formal either." Your least-cheeto-stained garfield shirt isn't gonna cut the mustard!

run on sentience
Mar 22, 2022
Verdict for trailer assholes: on their next mud run the mud puddles are replaced with acid vats

Also the bride would not be wrong to sever from jeans sister. "Just don't dress like a slob" is a pretty drat lenient dress code but she disrespected it anyway.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I was ready for a "my sister said I had to wear a dress" and the jeans to be a retaliation for that but no, she just refuses to dress remotely formally.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Yeah I thought this was gonna be "I wanted to wear a tux, but she said I had to wear a dress," not "I showed up looking so lovely they wouldn't even let me in the venue."

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Evil Willow posted:

"More masculine style" and "suits don't fit my style" are so wildly contradictory I cannot even understand why they bothered to invite her.

Seems like she thought that just not wearing an unwashed hoody is somehow classy dress appropriate.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Showing up dressed like Fun Shaundi and then being surprised they won't let her into a formal event

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

"it's just clothes" exactly so put them the gently caress on

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Hughlander posted:

AITA for leaving my best friend and his friends stranded in an unfamiliar city?

Give us your bed!

Should have told your friend you’d drive back and get him and then not show up.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

pentyne posted:

"More masculine style" and "suits don't fit my style" are so wildly contradictory I cannot even understand why they bothered to invite her.

Seems like she thought that just not wearing an unwashed hoody is somehow classy dress appropriate.

She's lovely in the comments.

quote:

Jeans and a top are not inappropriate. I go to college every day with that kind of style. I work at a corporate law office as a part time secretary at the same time and while everyone dresses up I am more casual and I've never got in trouble.

quote:

I tried many options but they just didn't feel like... Me... If you know what I mean

quote:

Why? Because I have a different non conventionally "stylish" style?

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

college: just like a wedding

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Mx. posted:

college: just like a wedding

In that if you are doing it in America it can cost you tens of thousands of dollars and might ruin your life, they are pretty similar.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Getting very

vibes from this lass.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Beachcomber posted:

quote:

I tried many options but they just didn't feel like... Me... If you know what I mean
Great news! The wedding isn't about you!

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Beachcomber posted:

She says she wasn't seeking attention because she's not wearing any "sparkle". Not like her sister who LOVES the spotlight (by wearing things that aren't jeans, I guess.)

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...
AITA for “forcing” my husband to miss his daughters 18th birthday party

quote:

So i (34F) my husband Derrick(36M) our twins Jolene and Jessica(2 weeksF) his daughter Claire(18F) Claire’s mom Ashley(36F).

Derrick’s daughter Claire absolutely hates me for getting in between her mom and dad(they were never dating so no affair happened. Claire just really wanted her parents to get back together and i guess i got in between that despite Derrick telling Us he was never gonna get back with Ashley).

Ashley has full custody of Claire because Claire was at a age where she can decide who she wants to live with and she chose mom.

Derrick tries to mend the relationship between us but Claire isn’t having any of it and keeps saying i ruined everything.

Claire’s 18th birthday is coming up and she is super excited because Derrick is buying her dream car.

I obviously am not invited to her birthday and i am not mad about that but Derrick on the other hand is a bit bothered by it because Me and the twins aren’t invited and he really wants us to go.

I told Derrick he should just go and to not be worried about us but he isn’t budging he says he doesn’t want to be away from us for a whole two weeks(that is how long her birthday party is in a different city).

Derrick told Claire that he would only be there for 3 to 4 days as he doesn’t want to leave me alone with newborn twins for two whole weeks.

Claire was mad at his response and said that i would be fine with them for two weeks. She also said that i am trying to ruin her birthday party.

Derrick told her that this is his decision and not mine. He said he wasn’t comfortable being away for two weeks in a different city while he has two newborns at home.

Claire and Ashley called me and told me that i am a bitter and jealous woman for trying to force Derrick away from his daughter. Derrick heard everything they said and said that he was no longer attending because they have absolutely no reason to hate me as much as they do and that they need to understand why he doesn’t feel comfortable going away for two weeks while he has two newborns.

They called me a jealous hypocrite and Claire said i and my twins would never be allowed to attend anything of hers anymore for forcing her dad to not attend her birthday party anymore.

I don’t think i am TA because i’m not forcing Derrick to do anything. This is Derrick’s choice alone and he doesn’t feel comfortable going so why should he attend.

So reddit AITA for “forcing” my husband to not attend his daughter’s 18th birthday?

I'm sorry, but who the gently caress has an 18th birthday party that lasts for two weeks?????

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Evil Willow posted:

I'm sorry, but who the gently caress has an 18th birthday party that lasts for two weeks?????

"My wife has nothing to do with this."
"HOW DARE YOUR WIFE"
"no, this is my decision, she has nothing to do with-"
"HOW DARE YOUR WIFE"

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

Chemo-kitties can have “accidents” too!

run on sentience posted:

Also the bride would not be wrong to sever from jeans sister. "Just don't dress like a slob" is a pretty drat lenient dress code but she disrespected it anyway.

I was also a little confused by this part of the OP

quote:

At first I was denied entrance at the venue because the venue is black tie only but my sister tried to convince the owner to let this go this once because I'm her sister.

Was it actually black tie? Is she just confusing "fancy dress" with black tie?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I think "black tie" is pretty often used informally to just mean "suit or a nice dress, anything semi-formal really;" nobody will actually bounce you for wearing less than a tuxedo or a ballroom gown at most events labeled as black tie.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Yeah, she thinks "black tie only" means "expected to wear a tie."

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

She probably has not had many occasions to dress expensively and showy/attractive as possible and I know myself at 19, anything outside of what I had done before unless it was baby steps I would be anxious as gently caress. Maybe her fight or flight response is that she has doubled down over what her "style" is to the point of causing more drama than if she had risked the judgment of her taste in a nice suit pants, blouse and accessories.

E) although saying that, if had been 19 old me, I would have likely chucked a sad and found some reasons that I could not attend if that much pressure was put on to push ourselves out there.

Electric Wrigglies fucked around with this message at 12:12 on May 15, 2022

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Baron von Eevl posted:

I think the dude's husband just really dislikes the guy, and maybe is jealous that they're so close.

"Addict who hangs out at your house a lot" is an easy category of person to dislike. My guess would be he's seen this guy do some " I never want this person interacting with my child" level stuff and is chickening out about saying so.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Malachite_Dragon posted:

YTA. You will not shrivel away and die wearing a suit for one godbedamned day.

who cares, weddings are stupid pageantry. If you never need to dress up anyways and money is tight at 19yo why should she have to splurge on a new outfit

Not going would have been better but that probably would have led to drama anyways so it's whatevs. After all the wedding insanity posted itt someone coming in business casual is a non-issue

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Yeah I’m suprised so many people are talking about the wedding thing. I just can’t see a reason to care

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Evil Willow posted:

More importantly, who has a two week long 18th birthday and wants their parents to be there for all of it?

My guess, daughter was trying to set up some kind of parent-trap-style scheme to get mom and dad to “fall in love again” and the birthday is mostly a ruse to keep mom and dad together for two weeks.

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

There’s no mention of money being tight or, as suggested somewhere else, big anxiety feelings. It’s a 19 year old being a rebellious kid and not wanting to conform to anything that isn’t them, even for a day.

She’ll regret doing it in 2 maybe 5 years when her stupid brain matures and isn’t so stupid anymore.

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost

CharlestheHammer posted:

Yeah I’m suprised so many people are talking about the wedding thing. I just can’t see a reason to care

Because it was a simple request from a close family member for something that was important to most of the family and the OP refuses to understand why not at least attempting it hurt her sister.

As for why anyone cares: why does anyone care about any of the stories?

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

who cares, weddings are stupid pageantry. If you never need to dress up anyways and money is tight at 19yo why should she have to splurge on a new outfit

“I never need to dress up, which is why I’m not going to get clothes for this event which requires me to dress up”

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

DreamingofRoses posted:

Because it was a simple request from a close family member for something that was important to most of the family and the OP refuses to understand why not at least attempting it hurt her sister.

As for why anyone cares: why does anyone care about any of the stories?

There are plenty of stories that pass by without comment, that story seems like one of those

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

"trash bag suspenders are just my styyyyyle, man."

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Armitag3 posted:

There’s no mention of money being tight or, as suggested somewhere else, big anxiety feelings. It’s a 19 year old being a rebellious kid and not wanting to conform to anything that isn’t them, even for a day.

She’ll regret doing it in 2 maybe 5 years when her stupid brain matures and isn’t so stupid anymore.

you are correct, her finances are technically unknown. But since she's in college and works part time as secretary, I assume she's not flush w discretionary income.

Coca Koala posted:

“I never need to dress up, which is why I’m not going to get clothes for this event which requires me to dress up”

pretty much, how often is her sister gonna get married.

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost

you are correct, her finances are technically unknown. But since she's in college and works part time as secretary, I assume she's not flush w discretionary income.

pretty much, how often is her sister gonna get married.

If she had worn a button down and slacks she would have good clothes to wear to interviews or to work.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I don't understand how someone can show up to a wedding, nevertheless their sister's wedding, and not only being the most under-dressed person there but being so profoundly under-dressed that the venue tried to refuse you entry, and not feel like a big sack of poo poo. I went to my wife's cousin's wedding (a summery wedding!) wearing slacks and a guayabera and a blazer and I felt like an rear end in a top hat because I was under-dressed relative to most of the bride's side. Half the groom's side were wearing their nice hoodies.

edit I guess the real reason is because I have self esteem issues among a lot of other things and this lady is the opposite

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Full disclosure: my friend is getting married and he expects us to buy black suits for it. I haven't worn a suit in years and I don't plan on wearing one after this, I'm a carpenter so I have zero need for interviews or whatever. So this strikes close to home for me :D

that 19 year old isn't "right" and the pragmatic thing to do would be to just suck it up for a day but really in the grand scheme wearing business casual to a wedding is insignificant. Certainly not close to ruining it or whatever, and The sister is more of an AH for holding a grudge over it.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

In Florida wearing a pair of Cheeto stained sweats and an unwashed hoodie to your sisters wedding is very normal

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
You're probably going to have other weddings and probably a few funerals to go to over the next decade or so, a simple suit is a good thing to have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Full disclosure: my friend is getting married and he expects us to buy black suits for it. I haven't worn a suit in years and I don't plan on wearing one after this, I'm a carpenter so I have zero need for interviews or whatever. So this strikes close to home for me :D

that 19 year old isn't "right" and the pragmatic thing to do would be to just suck it up for a day but really in the grand scheme wearing business casual to a wedding is insignificant. Certainly not close to ruining it or whatever, and The sister is more of an AH for holding a grudge over it.

Also for wherever goons are I guess lol