Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

That’s why I watched it. And I loved more than any MCU thing in the past few years that didn’t have Bruce Campbell in it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

It's "Dark Reign: Zodiac" it's probably in there but its only like 4-5 issues long

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I have to confess that if I was not a Moon Knight fan for literally 30+ years the only thing that might have got me to watch the show was Oscar Isaac.

I’m also a longtime Moon Knight fan who bought a month of Disney Plus to watch this show.... man it was bad. At least Oscar and Ethan got to meet and are friends now

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Infinity War was the last MCU thing I watched and the idea of getting back into the MCU at this point feels absolutely daunting.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Mordiceius posted:

Infinity War was the last MCU thing I watched and the idea of getting back into the MCU at this point feels absolutely daunting.

Being told that I need to have seen WandaVision to follow the plot of the new Dr. Strange movie killed any enthusiasm I had for it from Raimi directing.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Being told that I need to have seen WandaVision to follow the plot of the new Dr. Strange movie killed any enthusiasm I had for it from Raimi directing.

You really don't. If you want to know more then watching it afterwards works fine.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
You don't have to watch Wandavision, just read a wiki summary if you don't have 4 hours to spare.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

sebmojo posted:

You really don't. If you want to know more then watching it afterwards works fine.

If anything, I want to know less.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
If comic book films have taught me anything - it is that I guess I don’t like comic books.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

You don't need to have seen WandaVision to understand Dr. Strange. Everything you need to know is in the movie.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Sam Raimi didn’t even watch wandavision

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Mordiceius posted:

If comic book films have taught me anything - it is that I guess I don’t like comic books.

True story - I watched some superhero movie with my father, and he just couldn't stop complaining about everything. I told him the reason he was complaining was that he didn't like superhero stories. He paused and said "you know what? You're right."

In a related familial story, my mother wanted to see Doctor Strange (1) until I told her it was a superhero movie. That changed her mind.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I’m also a longtime Moon Knight fan who bought a month of Disney Plus to watch this show.... man it was bad. At least Oscar and Ethan got to meet and are friends now

Uncle B that genuinely surprises me that you're a Moon Knight guy as well, because you seem to have very high and particular standards and there's a lot of water in Moon Knight's beer, as it were. Sorry you didn't enjoy it - I felt it only rarely rose to its potential but also that the truly weird and wacky Moon Knight stuff had zero chance of ever being in a Disney show, so I had already adjusted my expectations.

Sandwolf posted:

It's "Dark Reign: Zodiac" it's probably in there but its only like 4-5 issues long

Very good! Thank you.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Edward Mass posted:

True story - I watched some superhero movie with my father, and he just couldn't stop complaining about everything. I told him the reason he was complaining was that he didn't like superhero stories. He paused and said "you know what? You're right."

In a related familial story, my mother wanted to see Doctor Strange (1) until I told her it was a superhero movie. That changed her mind.

I find myself in a weird place. I like individual superheroes or the idea of a superhero story. But I think I hate a lot of trappings of the genre. I hate the constant cinematic/comic universe filled with references and crossovers making everything feel like mandatory reading/watching, even if it actually isn’t. I hate superhero time travel and multiverse stuff because it is usually just used as a cheap way to bring back/replace a character that was killed off or something.

But I’m also a total hypocrite because over the last couple years, I got into Brandon Sanderson and committed myself to reading his entire collection of novels.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I wish Moon Knight didn’t even have a plot. I wish it was just Oscar Isaac dealing with his mental issues with some weird visuals and stuff.

I’d watch 8 hour long episodes of that

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

I wish Moon Knight didn’t even have a plot. I wish it was just Oscar Isaac dealing with his mental issues with some weird visuals and stuff.

I’d watch 8 hour long episodes of that

This is basically what the fifth episode was and it was the one good episode so I’m inclined to agree.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

That was my favorite episode too yeah. I won’t rewatch it, nor do I want more, but I enjoyed the ride for the most part due to Issac.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I imagine going into Strange 2 without having seen Wandavision will make you ask "Wait, Wanda had kids?" but I guess you can just excuse that since it's a comic book movie and who gives a poo poo?

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

I very much disagree with the idea that all you need to know is that she had kids, but the people saying that were also talking about how her heel turn was stupid and she was as a flat character with no motivation so maybe this is explaining things.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Dietrich posted:

I very much disagree with the idea that all you need to know is that she had kids, but the people saying that were also talking about how her heel turn was stupid and she was as a flat character with no motivation so maybe this is explaining things.

You're confused. I'm on the side of informing context of a movie by having to watch TV shows is dumb btw. There being a burden of knowledge for something as passive as watching movies is hilarious to me.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Let's say for sake of argument that Dr. Strange's dropoff is superhero exhaustion - what else can they do? Billon dollar cape flicks are apparently the only thing that keeps the studios going at this point.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Mordiceius posted:

I find myself in a weird place. I like individual superheroes or the idea of a superhero story. But I think I hate a lot of trappings of the genre. I hate the constant cinematic/comic universe filled with references and crossovers making everything feel like mandatory reading/watching, even if it actually isn’t. I hate superhero time travel and multiverse stuff because it is usually just used as a cheap way to bring back/replace a character that was killed off or something.

But I’m also a total hypocrite because over the last couple years, I got into Brandon Sanderson and committed myself to reading his entire collection of novels.

I don't like slashers (mostly, unless they're playing with the formula like the first Scream or Cabin in the Woods). I just hate the trappings of the genre, whatever. I just don't watch it!

Or er post about it

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Shageletic posted:

I don't like slashers (mostly, unless they're playing with the formula like the first Scream or Cabin in the Woods). I just hate the trappings of the genre, whatever. I just don't watch it!

Or er post about it

It’s not that I just flat hate superhero films. And maybe cape films are getting my undue ire. I think it is more that I dislike expanded/connected universes in media.

It was the same when BioWare and Blizzard started doing trans-media storytelling by doing companion novels and comic books for their games.

I hate it! It sucks so much!!!

Just give me self-contained stories!!!!

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

I'm perfectly ok with companion media like comics and shows or whatever if they're made in service to embellish a main story. The Clone Wars animated series is one of the best examples of this imo. Wandavision presents major plot points present in Strange 2, which while the show isn't required viewing, it certainly helps inform a lot of context in the film that's ehhhh, not ideal. Not for me anyways.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It’s like the x files movie. You get what’s happening without knowing but it’s better.

In fact everything MOM did made that boring rear end wandavision better lol. I can’t believe they let her off the hook.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

CelticPredator posted:

It’s like the x files movie. You get what’s happening without knowing but it’s better.

In fact everything MOM did made that boring rear end wandavision better lol. I can’t believe they let her off the hook.
Here's a thought: there's literally no one in the disney marvel universe who is even capable of holding her accountable in the first place. She's an omega level threat.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Yeah but the writers don’t have too.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Crackbone posted:

Let's say for sake of argument that Dr. Strange's dropoff is superhero exhaustion - what else can they do? Billon dollar cape flicks are apparently the only thing that keeps the studios going at this point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pn0WdJx-Wkw

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk
To the increasing anxiety towards the ever-growing pure volume of the MCU:

We should take a lesson from Hegel here, in that there's no such thing as entering something from the beginning, as we are always entering discourse in medias res. There is no guarantee that going in order from the beginning to the end of the MCU engenders a fully complete experience/understanding of it as such; however interstitial one's encounter, there nevertheless exists the substance of the experience to be judged.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
My assumption is that the drop-off with Strange 2 is because instead of a psychadelic romp through alternates universes it was one-quarter exposition, one-quarter barely-distinguished alternate universes, and one-half corny shlock horror film.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

CelticPredator posted:

Yeah but the writers don’t have too.

They didn't

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

The Doctor Strange week 2 drop-off was a similar % as Spider-man and Black Widow (in fact they're very close! All in the 67% range). I think it's just that most people who wanna watch a MCU movie in theaters wanna see it asap.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
Doctor Strange 2 pretty plainly states everything you need to know. These complaints should've been lobbed at No Way Home, which did require a ton of homework if you actually wanted to give a poo poo about half of the movie.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Wanda’s characterization makes the same amount of sense whether or not you’ve seen Wandavision, the difference is only that MoM has to restart her character arc from Wandavision so it can put her through it all over again, a pretty common thing for the franchise.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Pirate Jet posted:

Wanda’s characterization makes the same amount of sense whether or not you’ve seen Wandavision, the difference is only that MoM has to restart her character arc from Wandavision so it can put her through it all over again, a pretty common thing for the franchise.

wanda is a very sad witch who found a scary book and wants her children

bam done you're caught up

wandavision is a fun thing to watch though, i recommend it, watched it with my daughter after she saw MoM. Speaking of, when is electric lady next slated to make an appearance, do we know?

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

sebmojo posted:

Speaking of, when is electric lady next slated to make an appearance, do we know?
Captain Marvel 2 aka “The Marvels,” directed by Nia DaCosta who also did the most recent Candyman, slated for next year.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
WandaVision overall was pretty good and a lot of the humor worked because of Paul Bettany, it was cool that they get Kat Dennings back, fun stuff. Plus it was great to have Wanda get, like ANY CHARACTERIZATION AT ALL compared to the movies. In general Paul Bettany carries it and makes it worth watching imo. Olsen is really good in it at some points also.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 03:30 on May 17, 2022

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Paul robot was absolutely doing Rik from the young ones in places and it owned

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Srice posted:

The Doctor Strange week 2 drop-off was a similar % as Spider-man and Black Widow (in fact they're very close! All in the 67% range). I think it's just that most people who wanna watch a MCU movie in theaters wanna see it asap.

The second these movies get out everything online becomes Spoilers for them. Literally my Twitter, my Instagram, and my Facebook didn't get checked until I could see it two days after it came out. When I opened them? The first posts I saw were all unmarked Spoilers.

There's definitely a culture of going to see it quick unless you wanna have it ruined.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rapid 99
Jan 30, 2015

Hero will never give up,
never hide,
never be defeated,
never accept evil.

Mordiceius posted:

It’s not that I just flat hate superhero films. And maybe cape films are getting my undue ire. I think it is more that I dislike expanded/connected universes in media.

It was the same when BioWare and Blizzard started doing trans-media storytelling by doing companion novels and comic books for their games.

I hate it! It sucks so much!!!

Just give me self-contained stories!!!!

So is the Nier avatar ironic then or