Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

mattfl posted:

Someone please take Patrick Reeds wife’s phone away. Like, how does he not say, honey, please for the love of god loving stop.

"This information is impossible to get!"

Also:

https://puttviewbooks.com/products/southern-hills-country-club

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

:siren: PGA Championship thread is up! https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4002166 :siren:

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Played my first 18 in almost a year yesterday. Shot a true 105. Lost seven balls, didn't really find my groove until the last few holes.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

lmao Gary McCord rules. Excerpt from the upcoming Alan Shipnuck book about Phil:

quote:

“When I was in the TV tower,” says former CBS announcer Gary McCord, “every time Phil got to my hole, Bones [his caddie] would look up at me and I would flash the odds. If Phil had a 15-footer, I’d flash three fingers, which meant the odds were 3-1. If he was 60 feet, I’d give him 2-1 on a two-putt. Bones would go down and whisper in his ear and Phil would look up at me and shake his head, yes or no.

“I can’t tell you how many wadded-up twenties I threw out of the tower, until the Tour found out about it and I got word through CBS I was no longer allowed to gamble with Phil while up in the tower.”

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...
I dunno if anyone here still watches Mark Crossfield but over the last couple of years he's gone from hitting 262 yard drives to carrying 295 now.

His most recent swing changes are pretty fascinating, there have been a couple of videos in the past two weeks where he's trying some new positions in his backswing to get less wasted energy in his overall swing.

https://youtu.be/X3rzpMzJqOY

https://youtu.be/kmlWQMJymoM

They're a little technical but it's kind of fascinating to watch how different his swing/results are now, and the ideas that seem really different to anything I've seen before.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

spamman posted:

I dunno if anyone here still watches Mark Crossfield but over the last couple of years he's gone from hitting 262 yard drives to carrying 295 now.

His most recent swing changes are pretty fascinating, there have been a couple of videos in the past two weeks where he's trying some new positions in his backswing to get less wasted energy in his overall swing.

https://youtu.be/X3rzpMzJqOY

https://youtu.be/kmlWQMJymoM

They're a little technical but it's kind of fascinating to watch how different his swing/results are now, and the ideas that seem really different to anything I've seen before.

He's gone back to his mostly dead YouTube channel (askgolfguru) for a new set of videos, too. His instructional stuff was good, and he's moving back that way, looks like.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

torgeaux posted:

He's gone back to his mostly dead YouTube channel (askgolfguru) for a new set of videos, too. His instructional stuff was good, and he's moving back that way, looks like.

Interesting. I still pretty regularly watch his course vlogs and had no idea he was posting again on his other channel.

Coach Lockey has his own channel now too if you're into that flavor of content.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

SquirrelGrip posted:

I have opted to take many a drop because I didn’t want to try to hit a shot around/over/through a mob of kangaroos. They just don’t care, will not move for you and sit there watching and judging you.

same but flocks of geese

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

We have arrived!

First tee time is at 2:30 on No. 7. Tomorrow is #2.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

insanely jealous of you and you better take a ton of pictures

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

mattfl posted:

We have arrived!

First tee time is at 2:30 on No. 7. Tomorrow is #2.

Is 7 one of the "off campus" courses? I think 8 is, for sure.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

torgeaux posted:

Is 7 one of the "off campus" courses? I think 8 is, for sure.

Kinda yeah, it was like a 10 minute drive from where we are staying to get here. It’s also currently kicking my rear end.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

mattfl posted:

Kinda yeah, it was like a 10 minute drive from where we are staying to get here. It’s also currently kicking my rear end.

Number two is an rear end kicker, but none of the courses are easy. 3 meanders through a housing division, but still not easy.

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug
Man I'm so loving hyped for my Pinehurst + presidents cup trip later this year. September seems like forever from now. :(

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Dr. Capco posted:

Man I'm so loving hyped for my Pinehurst + presidents cup trip later this year. September seems like forever from now. :(

September is ideal at Pinehurst. I am so envious of anyone playing there in the early fall.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
Pines Dunes was awesome as usual but there was 36 of us and then another group of 24 roughly 50 year old dudes doing a Calcutta with $20k in the pot. They had the tee times before us on Saturday and Sunday (and the times in between our first and second rounds on Saturday). They played so incredibly slow it was exhausting. Their first group off, so the first group of the whole day with a wide open course in front of them, took 5:30 to finish. We ended up having to wait 5-10 minutes on every shot with at least 2 groups waiting on every tee box. The marshal was useless.

But! One of my buddies and I got called out months ago for a grudge match by a couple of guys on the Austin/San Antonio team so we played them in alt shot Saturday afternoon. They were both 8-9 handicaps, my buddy and I sitting comfortably at 12s, so they were supposed to give us 3 strokes over the course of the round. We didn't need them. Closed them out 6&5 and we could have realistically finished them off sooner than that if we hadn't started taking the worst drive of the two on the back 9. Overall a great weekend but conditions were tough.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
New NLU video which should be a real treat is releasing soon; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OBKeA0fOXA

NLU is easily the best Golf content on youtube, possibly some of the best content period, and they still have really small viewership/subscriber numbers, it's kinda insane. The group dynamic really makes a huge difference to avoid that air of smugness all the other golf channels get infected by after a while.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Yeah new NLU videos are always a treat. Strapped, especially. DJ and whoever else does the editing is so drat good at making golf and the things surrounding it feel good.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Sweet, I am always on the lookout for good golf content as a newbie, thanks for the rec

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

abigserve posted:

New NLU video which should be a real treat is releasing soon; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OBKeA0fOXA

NLU is easily the best Golf content on youtube, possibly some of the best content period, and they still have really small viewership/subscriber numbers, it's kinda insane. The group dynamic really makes a huge difference to avoid that air of smugness all the other golf channels get infected by after a while.

Strapped could be on any sports TV channel as-is. It's incredible.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

abigserve posted:

I don't enjoy most of their stuff. I subscribe, but skip most of them. To each his own.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Well that course just destroyed me and I may give up golf now. Lol holy gently caress that course was tough. Shot 92, at least I had 2 birdies. Got in trouble in the trees a few times and tried for hero shots instead of just playing out. Also the greens, holy gently caress the greens. So fast, so undulated so hard lol The only saving grace is that in our group of 8 who are all mostly single handicaps everyone shot in the mid to upper 80s. So, let’s how we do on #2 tomorrow lol

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug
I'm an 11 and expect to throw up a couple 110s when I play 2 and 4 later this year. I'll probably break my putting record of 41 putts (chambers bay) too, lol.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

mattfl posted:

Well that course just destroyed me and I may give up golf now. Lol holy gently caress that course was tough. Shot 92, at least I had 2 birdies. Got in trouble in the trees a few times and tried for hero shots instead of just playing out. Also the greens, holy gently caress the greens. So fast, so undulated so hard lol The only saving grace is that in our group of 8 who are all mostly single handicaps everyone shot in the mid to upper 80s. So, let’s how we do on #2 tomorrow lol

The greens on #2 are going to make you look back on today with nostalgia. I swear, every green plays like it's crowned and keeping approaches (and sometimes putts) on the green is impossible.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

torgeaux posted:

The greens on #2 are going to make you look back on today with nostalgia. I swear, every green plays like it's crowned and keeping approaches (and sometimes putts) on the green is impossible.

Can’t wait lol

My roommate is hungover/didn’t drink enough water yesterday and today is a walking day, he’s probably going to struggle lol

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:

Anno posted:

Yeah new NLU videos are always a treat. Strapped, especially. DJ and whoever else does the editing is so drat good at making golf and the things surrounding it feel good.

DJ's a good guy too. We have a bi-weekly Zoom call on Tuesday nights where we watch a movie or an episode of a TV show and then jump on a call to talk about it. Randy is awesome. I've met Neil once and he was nice but clearly very competitive. Tron and Soly I can't stand and Cody was cool the one time I've met him but I've heard from people whose opinions I trust that he can be a little much as well.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION

Daric posted:

DJ's a good guy too. We have a bi-weekly Zoom call on Tuesday nights where we watch a movie or an episode of a TV show and then jump on a call to talk about it. Randy is awesome. I've met Neil once and he was nice but clearly very competitive. Tron and Soly I can't stand and Cody was cool the one time I've met him but I've heard from people whose opinions I trust that he can be a little much as well.

The Pine Dunes meet up is an NLU meet up, then?

I'm all in on the Strapped boys.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:

Kameh posted:

The Pine Dunes meet up is an NLU meet up, then?

I'm all in on the Strapped boys.

Yeah, Tron and Cody both backed out at the last minute, they were supposed to play for Houston and Dallas respectively. But it's something we do every year. We're already working on planning for next year and trying to figure out how to not have to deal with such slow play from whatever other group they let in.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Went to get some balls for the season, checked lostgolfballs.com, even though they've been hit or miss for me. They were a lot more expensive than golfballsdirect.com for the same quality balls.

I've had two batches of lostgolfballs.com 5A balls be obvious refurbished balls, which I have no interest in, and paid way too much for refurbs. Hopefully a better experience at golfballsdirect.com

Weedle
May 31, 2006

torgeaux posted:

Went to get some balls for the season, checked lostgolfballs.com, even though they've been hit or miss for me

have you tried adjusting your swing

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

torgeaux posted:

Went to get some balls for the season, checked lostgolfballs.com, even though they've been hit or miss for me. They were a lot more expensive than golfballsdirect.com for the same quality balls.

I've had two batches of lostgolfballs.com 5A balls be obvious refurbished balls, which I have no interest in, and paid way too much for refurbs. Hopefully a better experience at golfballsdirect.com

That's weird, the 5A Titleist ProV1x has been a killer deal for me. My only complaint is the occasional "Doug Pritchard eats rear end" or "69" labeling or whatever dumb poo poo people mark their ball with.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

ElGroucho posted:

That's weird, the 5A Titleist ProV1x has been a killer deal for me. My only complaint is the occasional "Doug Pritchard eats rear end" or "69" labeling or whatever dumb poo poo people mark their ball with.

Two out of three buckets I got were obviously painted. You could find identical flaws in the paint job on more than half the balls.

Their 4A is spot on, never had an issue.

Edit: if they've got markings or logos, those are 4a. 5A are like new balls, unmarked.

torgeaux fucked around with this message at 21:11 on May 19, 2022

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

#2 trip report.

What an amazing experience. Course was absolutely amazing. I played from the blues which was 6950 yards and it played every bit of it. I had trouble with my driver on the front nine but was able to make some recovery pars. Having a caddie was a huge advantage. Walking was, wow, I haven’t walked a course in probably 15 years, Apple Watch said 9.5 miles and by the last 2 holes I was really feeling it. Wound up shooting 87 with a birdie and some pars sprinkled in. I stayed away from the many double bogeys I had yesterday which I was glad for. All in all, an amazing experience to be able to play it and not shoot horribly. We’ve got 2 rounds scheduled tomorrow, either 6 and 4 or 9 and 6 depending on how our team breakouts go, also, it’s supposed to be 98 degrees tomorrow so 2 ones is gonna loving rock lol

I’ll do a pic dump in a few days, haven’t taken a whole lot but the ones I have I’ll post here soon.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

Daric posted:

Thank you for confirming my Soly headcannon

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
I played 9holes after work today...it was my first ever time playing solo. It was pretty freaking great. I definitely rushed too much in the first few holes (reflected in the score too haha) but I think next time I'll be more relaxed to start similar to how I finished this round. I'm still really bad, but I actually felt like I saw a path to improvement which is a fun way to head into the summer.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

I feel like my game is really comfy right now. I'm not scoring great (averaging +3 over my handicap of 8) but I just never am not in a position to score. If I miss, I'm missing by a few metres, if I have a chip I never duff them and I have a few options like lobs, low spinners etc

Golf is fun!

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

#6 trip report. Probably my favorite course so far. Nice elevation changes, actual rough if you run off the fairway and greens that rolled true. Shot a 76 net -2, the slope rating on #6 is actually harder than #2 if you can believe it. Played from the blues at 6630 yards. Had 2 eagle putts that both of them I left 2” short. Very score-able course and not a lot of trouble. We have a short break now and then head to #4 where I expect to be humbled again lol

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
DJ is rocking a 9 wood that carries 245 yards.

https://golf.com/gear/fairway-woods/dustin-johnson-taylormade-stealth-9-wood/

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Son of a bitch, put up a 46 this morning. In six rounds on the 9 hole course, every score ranges from 45-48. Today the big issue was tee shots and my chipping on the first few holes (looking at you, 7 on the first hole). Best day of putting by far though, 1.89 compared to 2.56 from my first round

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Just played a soaking wet golf course in 90 degree heat with some of the most penal rough I've ever played out of.

Missing a fairway by a foot was like just adding a stroke to your score on the hole automatically. Everything came out of the rough stone dead.