Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Yeah that would be great.

I play as Loba almost exclusively - when I move to another character, the movement feels off, for example Caustic feels like a bit fat poo poo to me. Is that just the sound of his movement or does he actually move more slowly?
When I first started playing Caustic I was like "omg move you fat piece of poo poo!" and I didn't know that the run speed was the same - it just felt incredibly slow. Now I love my farty chonky boi. Also he has Fortified, so that little bit of DR can let you survive a fight that would down you with a petite character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?
So I got heirloom shards earlier today, guess I must've hit the pity counter after playing since launch.

Anyone know if you have to actually spend the shards before the counter starts going again? I feel like I heard or read that somewhere but it might be complete bullshit. Don't want any of the current heirlooms but I like to open packs when I get them, even though it's usually just two voice lines and a rare Gibraltar skin.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Knight2m posted:

If you play even semi-regularly, you should have plenty of red tokens to buy new characters each season. They literally throw the things at you.

My problem is I only play with Loba, I take it that limits the red tokens?

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

WattsvilleBlues posted:

My problem is I only play with Loba, I take it that limits the red tokens?

No? Why would it? They mostly come from level ups

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Yeah, red tokens come from account level. You get 600 for every level after level 4 and if you would have gained a level after you hit level 500.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

ZeusCannon posted:

No? Why would it? They mostly come from level ups

From Ranked matches or what? Sorry to be thick as pig poo poo, I honestly just jump in without paying attention to any currency stuff.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

WattsvilleBlues posted:

From Ranked matches or what? Sorry to be thick as pig poo poo, I honestly just jump in without paying attention to any currency stuff.

Nope, just any match you play gives you experience for your account level outside of private lobbies.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

I must be doing something wrong, I play the poo poo out of the game and my red tokens are a real grind.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I must be doing something wrong, I play the poo poo out of the game and my red tokens are a real grind.

are you rerolling challenges a lot? that's the other thing they're used for, that and store recolours

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

the XP you get is somewhat tied to performance so the rate you accumulate it will depend

https://apexlegends.fandom.com/wiki/Experience#Gaining_Experience

you also get extra XP for playing in a party, and extra extra XP if you or your party members have the battlepass

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

The majority of XP is also from match time (which is also the part that benefits from XP boosts) so if you’re just hotdropping and spending all your time in the menus then it’s much, much slower

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008

WattsvilleBlues posted:

if your account level is above like 200 you should have thousands and thousands of red tokens.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Keito posted:

So I got heirloom shards earlier today, guess I must've hit the pity counter after playing since launch.

Anyone know if you have to actually spend the shards before the counter starts going again? I feel like I heard or read that somewhere but it might be complete bullshit. Don't want any of the current heirlooms but I like to open packs when I get them, even though it's usually just two voice lines and a rare Gibraltar skin.

Believe it or not you didn't quite hit the pity counter unless you've gotten literally every single free pack from events and giveaways, and I think you'd still be a bit away from it? So you just finally hit it.

I do believe you need to spend the shards if you want a chance at new ones, but tbh I don't think it matters that much. Especially if none of the current ones really call out to you.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

You probably aren't missing anything. I think people are a little optimistic about red currency around these parts. I remember it taking a pretty long time to unlock all the characters, and I started a year or so before you, glancing at your post history. Not, like, League of Legends long (I think I was playing on and off for 6 years before I caught up to current releases), but it definitely took a while.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Evil Kit posted:

Believe it or not you didn't quite hit the pity counter unless you've gotten literally every single free pack from events and giveaways, and I think you'd still be a bit away from it? So you just finally hit it.

i plugged all the biggest numbers into the calculator

https://mike.zarandona.com/coded/apex-packs-calc/

and got 504 packs, so you are guaranteed an heirloom now, barely, if you've done everything since launch including this seasons battlepass

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

You can get more shards even if you have a bunch of unused ones already. Until you run out of things to get

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

Evil Kit posted:

I do believe you need to spend the shards if you want a chance at new ones, but tbh I don't think it matters that much. Especially if none of the current ones really call out to you.

If so I think I'll wait with opening packs until the Valk heirloom drops (probably late this month), and if it's not cool then I'll just have to decide on something else. I main Pathfinder and Bangalore but think both their heirlooms are pretty bad, so I'm maybe leaning towards Caustic's cool hammer, but don't really use him all that much. Difficult choices.

repiv posted:

i plugged all the biggest numbers into the calculator

https://mike.zarandona.com/coded/apex-packs-calc/

and got 504 packs, so you are guaranteed an heirloom now, barely, if you've done everything since launch including this seasons battlepass

If it's technically possible to have gotten enough packs from BP/events/treasure then I've probably done it. I've played a lot of Apex. :cry:

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough

Boxman posted:

You probably aren't missing anything. I think people are a little optimistic about red currency around these parts. I remember it taking a pretty long time to unlock all the characters, and I started a year or so before you, glancing at your post history. Not, like, League of Legends long (I think I was playing on and off for 6 years before I caught up to current releases), but it definitely took a while.

I think its also one of those things where most of the ppl here haven't actually cared or paid attention to their red token in a very long time. I basically didn't play for a year (last time was dec 2020?) so I missed pretty much every new char from starting with seer. I was still able to buy them all save 2 (new castle and fuse if you're curious). Still had a couple thou left over. Once you've got a decent chunk of the roster unlocked its just completely out of sight/mind since those alternate colorways for skins tend to pop rarely.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Boxman posted:

I didn't start playing until late season 8 (like 2 weeks before 9 dropped) and I've unlocked every character :shrug: At the beginning of a season I click on the new one and buy it.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer
I played a fuckload at release to season 3. Then I quit because I realized my quest to get better was having adverse effects on my blood pressure. I had enough points banked to purchase every character up until valk released.

I'm trying to get back in now after a mini hiatus though.

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

Speaking of spending red tokens, there’s extra legend recolors in the store right now. 15 more hours for this set, then I think there should be another set or two after.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

SubponticatePoster posted:

I didn't start playing until late season 8 (like 2 weeks before 9 dropped) and I've unlocked every character :shrug: At the beginning of a season I click on the new one and buy it.

Some specific data for the pile: I have 530-ish hours (oh god) logged in. My account level is 325, I have everyone unlocked, and 13,200 red tokens sitting around. Obviously I'm not struggling to unlock legends each season but its not like I'm in a position to spend down red material on cosmetics just yet.

Boxman fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Jun 4, 2022

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

i routinely burn red tokens on daily challenges i dont feel like doing

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough
So I wasn't around for mad maggies release and just got her recently; how do I use her ultimate? I get the speed boost and that the ball does some damage and knockback if it hits but is there any agreed ideal circumstance to use it etc?

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Boxman posted:

Some specific data for the pile: I have 530-ish hours (oh god) logged in. My account level is 325, I have everyone unlocked, and 13,200 red tokens sitting around. Obviously I'm not struggling to unlock legends each season but its not like I'm in a position to spend down red material on cosmetics just yet.
Oh, true. I don't generally buy cosmetics - 99% of the weapon skins are just awful and I seem to get enough unlocks from packs and stuff like Prime to give me some choices. I did buy the silver Valkyrie skin since she's my main and I wanted her to have something nice

Bumper Stickup posted:

I played a fuckload at release to season 3. Then I quit because I realized my quest to get better was having adverse effects on my blood pressure. I had enough points banked to purchase every character up until valk released.

I'm trying to get back in now after a mini hiatus though.
I saw you on recently, hmu if you want. I'm way better at Apex than I ever was at CoD :v:

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
It takes a few hundred hours of playing to get enough red tokens from scratch to buy every character out now. They don't rain down like candy by any means, until you have nothing to spend them on and they start piling up and it seems that way.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.
You get about enough for two champs per season, so I buy the new one and an old one basically as I catch up. I have all the ones I care for now

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Do you mean by filling up the battle pass? Because that is dozens of hours of playing and not casual by any measure.

Actually, does the BP even give red? What do you even mean you get enough each season? Like yeah, you can grind out 100k red points in a week if you do nothing else but play Apex 16 hours a day.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Jun 4, 2022

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
i think he just means playing the game like a normal person, which will, over the 90 day term of a season, generate a particular number of tokens as your account levels up

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Tokubetsu posted:

So I wasn't around for mad maggies release and just got her recently; how do I use her ultimate? I get the speed boost and that the ball does some damage and knockback if it hits but is there any agreed ideal circumstance to use it etc?

You want to use it in enclosed arenas so it bounces around wildly. A good Maggie bowling ball can completely incapacitate a team that's turtling in a shed and make them easy cleanups.

Ironically her ultimate and Fuse's ultimate work great together even out in open space.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Yeah, the ball breaks doors and bounces, but the real meat of it imo is the stun that keeps people from moving/aiming so you can rush in and shoot em from the side/back.

It's also handy if you get caught out of zone and need the speed boost, since it's one of the fastest charging ults too.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

Up Circle posted:

i think he just means playing the game like a normal person, which will, over the 90 day term of a season, generate a particular number of tokens as your account levels up

This. The amount of time it takes to generally fill the BP will get you about two characters.

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough
Thanks guys. Right after I posted that question I had a win with her that was at least 70% because of the ult haha. 2 squads left, ring closing on one of the fragments (west?). We decided to third party and right as we're pushing the building they're all poking and fighting in they try to run out to be met with the ball hitting them in the door way. Fun times.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Boxman posted:

https://imgur.com/a/BDOynpt

It really does throw a lot at you after a while, though. After you max out your actual levels you'll legitimately never run out ever again.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

MJBuddy posted:

This. The amount of time it takes to generally fill the BP will get you about two characters.

The vast majority of players do not fill the BP.

According to Respawn players take about 1.3 hours of play time per level (in game, not lobby time). So that’s 26 hours per unlock on average.

26 hours of play is a lot. Dogstiles cache of 500k is over 1200 hours of play by Respawns stats.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Just play for 500 hours, it's easy :)

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
You really only want to unlock Valk if you want to be "competitive" and maybe horizon.

Everything else is dumb flavour characters.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Bottom Liner posted:

The vast majority of players do not fill the BP.

According to Respawn players take about 1.3 hours of play time per level (in game, not lobby time). So that’s 26 hours per unlock on average.

26 hours of play is a lot. Dogstiles cache of 500k is over 1200 hours of play by Respawns stats.

Who said they did? I just said what a good, typical estimate would be.

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

dogstile posted:

You really only want to unlock Valk if you want to be "competitive" and maybe horizon.

Everything else is dumb flavour characters.

Blech, this is such an unpleasant way to look at things to me. Everybody is fun, play them all.

Sometimes I feel like multiplayer games would be way better if everyone who was good enough that the “meta” actually mattered wasn’t allowed to play (I do not think this would actually be a good idea, but a mediocre player can dream).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

MJBuddy posted:

Who said they did?

You did. Lol.

“You get about enough for two champs per season” is a statement of fact. I was just saying that’s not a static allotment that’s just given out without 50ish hours of play.