Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

christmas boots posted:

Yeah, the fix was in but it was actually two different fixes happening simultaneously.

That's what I assume was the goal. Two different masters and all.

Also, there was no guarantee Ken was going to be as good as he was behind the host lectern so he wasn't the anointed one even if Alex thought so on his deathbed. Buzzy I thought was better but fate (or desperate methods) said otherwise

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

I'm okay with Buzzy not being host because my partner has a giant crush on him and I don't need to compete with yet another tall nerd with glasses.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Yeah, between the anti-vax stuff and literally donating money to the IDF I'm not going to pretend I would be remotely sad if something bad happened to Bialik. She is not a good person.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

MokBa posted:

I'm okay with Buzzy not being host because my partner has a giant crush on him and I don't need to compete with yet another tall nerd with glasses.

Buzzy is now on The Chase, AKA "The Stunner"
Which can be confusing, since Brad Rutter is nicknamed "The Buzzsaw"

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

The Mighty Moltres posted:

Mr. Hookshot said Buzzy should have gone with "The Bradsaw" and I 100% agree with that.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Even with those Blossom and Big Bang residual checks what could she possibly donate that would do anything when the US already gives Isreal roughly $4billion a year? Congrats Mayim you funded 1/20th of a rocket used to kill children.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Yeah we tried to watch that once and turned it off about 4 minutes in.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i hadn't seen any of the new episodes so i'm guessing they're still pacing it like they always have.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Yeah, we record it and watch it on the DVR later so we can skip through a solid 80% of it. I absolutely do not recommend even trying it if you don't have that feature.

banned from Starbucks posted:

Even with those Blossom and Big Bang residual checks what could she possibly donate that would do anything when the US already gives Isreal roughly $4billion a year? Congrats Mayim you funded 1/20th of a rocket used to kill children.

Every little bit helps when you're committing genocide!

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy
I enjoy The Chase enough to watch it most weeks. I will concede that you can get 90% of the enjoyment from it by just skipping to the last ten minutes and watching the final chase, though.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Holy poo poo, Megan has to be the luckiest person on Earth

Isn't this the third time she's won by $2?

Double Jeopardy almost made up for how dire that first round was. But not quite.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I think so, yeah! (regarding the spoiler above)

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
In tonight's episode, do you think the judges would have accepted just "Got milk?" without a "what is" in front?

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CPColin posted:

In tonight's episode, do you think the judges would have accepted just "Got milk?" without a "what is" in front?

well, the phrase itself is in the form of a question so i wouldn't see why not in general.

with the writing here lately i genuinely don't know.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

CPColin posted:

Mayim would not have been able to handle it / know what to do.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Lmao at Mayim accepting "Tweedledee and Tweedledum" by clarifying just "Tweedledee." Can't remember the last time it was so clearly obvious that a judge's correction was coming up after the next commercial

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
She had a couple pretty reasonable weeks as host but this week has been atrocious, lol

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Poque posted:

She had a couple pretty reasonable weeks as host

Stockholm Syndrome comes for us all in the end.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Every time she adds in completely irrelevant additional information after someone's answer I want to punch her in the teeth.

"Who is Washington?"
"Yes, George Washington."

OH GEE THANKS I WAS THINKING OF THE OTHER FIRST PRESIDENT OF THE USA, JEREMY WASHINGTON.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

ninjahedgehog posted:

Lmao at Mayim accepting "Tweedledee and Tweedledum" by clarifying just "Tweedledee." Can't remember the last time it was so clearly obvious that a judge's correction was coming up after the next commercial

That question was horrendously worded; it sounded like they were asking for a pair of characters. It wasn't until I sat down and diagrammed the actual sentence that I figured out what they meant.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

HookShot posted:

Stockholm Syndrome comes for us all in the end.

Hahaha you're not wrong. Maybe a couple reasonable...episodes? Rounds??? CLUES?????

One thing I noticed from Alex is that if a contestant went into the break between rounds with a negative score, he would rarely call it out - he'd simply say that the contestant would choose first in Double Jeopardy. As far as I noticed, Ken picked up on that and also did not call it out. Mayim just reads the scores like a robot.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

HookShot posted:

Every time she adds in completely irrelevant additional information after someone's answer I want to punch her in the teeth.

"Who is Washington?"
"Yes, George Washington."

OH GEE THANKS I WAS THINKING OF THE OTHER FIRST PRESIDENT OF THE USA, JEREMY WASHINGTON.

What gets me is there will be other situations where they give ambiguous answers, or even more relevant a contestant will be incorrect then someone will be correct....and NOTHING. NOT A SINGLE WORD TO CLARIFY WHAT HAPPENED.

But sure, we all need to know we meant the president THOMAS Jefferson, not GEORGE Jefferson, or what the Boston Tea Party was :jerkbag:

Even then, when it's poo poo any 2nd grader knows, she has those long, very obvious pauses where she's checking her little cards, sometimes pausing after the first name to double check the last name because she seems incapable of remembering a single simple thing for 1.3 seconds.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Most of her additions would be fine if she didn't talk like a robot. I don't know why she does that. She has a normal voice outside of the show.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

BaronVonVaderham posted:

she has those long, very obvious pauses where she's checking her little cards, sometimes pausing after the first name to double check the last name because she seems incapable of remembering a single simple thing for 1.3 seconds.

A doctor of neuroscience (?) but can't remember simple information on cue cards.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Poque posted:

Hahaha you're not wrong. Maybe a couple reasonable...episodes? Rounds??? CLUES?????

One thing I noticed from Alex is that if a contestant went into the break between rounds with a negative score, he would rarely call it out - he'd simply say that the contestant would choose first in Double Jeopardy. As far as I noticed, Ken picked up on that and also did not call it out. Mayim just reads the scores like a robot.

Counterpoint: They should be shamed. :hehe:

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

wa27 posted:

Counterpoint: They should be shamed. :hehe:

By a host you know beyond any doubt could mop the floor with you, though, not this idiot :colbert:

Ken gets in some good jabs, but it doesn't feel mean-spirited since it feels earned.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF
The other night she kept announcing that someone now has the highest score, but it was a competitive game so she said it over and over and it was driving me up the wall. It's great she's adding new ways to be obnoxious as gently caress to her repertoire.

It also seems like the producers are tying to steer her to be better, like encouraging her to not just stare at the judges for seconds after every answer and make the call herself, but then she does and they need to do a correction.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

1glitch0 posted:

The other night she kept announcing that someone now has the highest score, but it was a competitive game so she said it over and over and it was driving me up the wall. It's great she's adding new ways to be obnoxious as gently caress to her repertoire.

That was the worst. Good job destroying the flow of the game when everyone can just see the scores already displayed.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I felt like she did it in one episode when it was late in a tight game and a producer told her, "That was good!" and that made her constantly do it in the following episode.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

With the Tweedle Dee thing my main complaint is that the contestant added extra words but Dr. Bialik shortened the answer from what the contestant said to what the answer is. I paused at this point and said to my partner, "she's just using her power to help contestants she likes." Specifically because a few moments earlier the guy on the right said "saturday night" but didn't accept it because there was an extra word. I can't remember an situations specifically but I felt like she helped out Mattea at least once, too.

I was happy that she was told that she had to correct it.

Calling it Single Jeopardy defense: "I just say what they put on the card. There are 50 people that work there that I can blame it on."
Contestant's answer isn't what's on the card: "I'll fix that for you!"

The Sean fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jun 23, 2022

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Why did she take the job in the first place? It can’t pay well compared to probably hoarded millions from the later years of Big Bang Theory.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I AM GRANDO posted:

Why did she take the job in the first place? It can’t pay well compared to probably hoarded millions from the later years of Big Bang Theory.

For the prestige. Jeopardy hosts are expected to be smart people themselves.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

There's a certain amount of subjectivity that's allowed with answers, and she just isn't good enough at hosting to be consistent. There's no way she's intentionally cheating (which is, like, illegal) because she favors certain contestants.

Ken has watched and studied the game for most of his life as a contestant (and a couple years as a consultant on the show) so obviously he is more in-tune with the judges.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
She's an actor. She knows how to follow a script and put on a persona. She doesn't know how to be genuine in front of a camera or improvise/think on her feet...which is 100% of game show hosting outside of reading the clues.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I don't think she's cheating to help people on purpose, I think it's more inexperience/her being loving awful at this whole job, but she definitely obviously has favorite contestants in some episodes which is really off-putting because absolutely the gently caress not. Like, even if Alex or Ken favor some people for whatever reason, neither one of them ever let it show.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

For the prestige. Jeopardy hosts are expected to be smart people themselves.

Well the gambit to make herself appear smarter by hosting Jeopardy has not gone well.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

HookShot posted:

I don't think she's cheating to help people on purpose, I think it's more inexperience/her being loving awful at this whole job, but she definitely obviously has favorite contestants in some episodes which is really off-putting because absolutely the gently caress not. Like, even if Alex or Ken favor some people for whatever reason, neither one of them ever let it show.

Remember during her guest run and they had the question on the state of Israel and she instantly had a smarmy look to her ?

Folks, she sucks , she’s only on the show because we live in hell time line.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Also after her sitcom is done it's a steady paycheck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

wa27 posted:

There's no way she's intentionally cheating (which is, like, illegal) because she favors certain contestants.

I am attacking the law concept, not you.

"Prove that she intentionally favors certain contestants."

"Deedle Dee and Deedle Dumb"

"She's constantly stupid. Try to prove that she favors certain people!* **"

*aside that she literally in the same episode, a few questions apart, said someone was wrong for adding an extra word and then accepted that person's answer with an extra name/two words.
** but prove she had intent!

HookShot posted:

but she definitely obviously has favorite contestants in some episodes which is really off-putting because absolutely the gently caress not.

Yeah, exactly. One thing I try to internalize in life is "don't attribute to malice what you could instead attribute to stupidity." But that only applies to intent. Bad results are still bad results.

The Sean fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Jun 23, 2022