Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

Heath posted:

This makes me wonder if a large percentage of the population being dyslexic to some degree or another accounts for the baffling popularity of Comic Sans since I've heard it's very dyslexia friendly

I've read this is in fact the case in a lot of its uses, as it's the most widely known dyslexia-friendly font.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
this isn't my field at all, but the idea that comic sans is helpful for people with dyslexia seems to be based on rumor, mostly.

this seems to cover it pretty well:

https://www.tes.com/magazine/teaching-learning/general/does-comic-sans-really-help-dyslexic-learners

at best, there's no evidence that it helps (but if it does for you or someone you know, all the better).

as long as we're derailing, here's a story: I was in Facebook group to make fun of bad graphic design. it was a very lefty tag-your-pomegranates group in general.

one day, the admins announced that because comic sans had been designed as a dyslexia-friendly font (this is not true), nobody could mention it ever again, on penalty of a ban. a couple people questioned this decision and the admins said that any discussion would only be carried out by members with dyslexia (and also the admins, none of whom did). someone did get them to add a disclaimer that the design thing might not be true, but they wouldn't accept quoted experts' takes that cs isn't really an especially dyslexia-friendly typeface. it finally came out that someone had anonymously messaged an admin that statement and they immediately made a blanket ban without fact-checking.

anywho, the on-topic point is that the left will always devour itself. have a blessed day.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
The left huh?

Lot of support for seizing the means of production and instituting a dictatorship of the proletariat in that group or were they just snooty liberals?

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Orange Devil posted:

The left huh?

Lot of support for seizing the means of production and instituting a dictatorship of the proletariat in that group or were they just snooty liberals?

I bet nobody even once said "impale all people with over 25 reál in their pocket"

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service

Empty Sandwich posted:

anywho, the on-topic point is that the left will always devour itself. have a blessed day.

Disco Elysium 2: Escape from Vampire Castle

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Entorwellian posted:

I had major shock this morning. Disco Elysium had an update to add a dyslexia-friendly font to the game. I thought "Huh I wonder what that looks like?" and played through the first part of the Whirling In Rags.

I found out today that I have dyslexia.

Entorwellian posted:

I can speed read. Holy gently caress!!!

Samovar posted:

And people claim this game isn't life-changing!

Honestly the first time I've ever heard of discovering it via a game, but probably the best game for practicing speed reading as you rack up the playthroughs!

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
I am curious what people here think of Bionic Reading, which went viral a few months ago:

https://twitter.com/WhatTheADHD/status/1527617004336820228

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Man, I got this game a couple days ago and i'm playing through as a PHY/PSY monster who just punches his way through everything, loves drugs and thinks he's a sexual god.

This was really funny until he wasn't around anyone to impress and started having a mental breakdown over what a fuckup he was. Then as soon as he's near people again he's just back trying to prove how awesome he is.

I wasn't really expecting that.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

SimonChris posted:

I am curious what people here think of Bionic Reading, which went viral a few months ago:

drat this lets me read poo poo without having my glasses on

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I just finished a 2/4/4/2 playthrough and it was great, so much I didn't see the first time around. However, I clicked some bad choices and locked myself out of the communism quest. I'm seriously tempted to find a let's play that covers it, because I'd really like to do different wacky stuff if I play this again.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Communism mostly wants high Int stats IIRC? Especially Rhetoric? So might feel different unless you did Sherlock Holmes on your first run.

2/2/2/6 was my first play through. It's interesting to see the detective as basically competent. But the writers clearly didn't have the same love of freaky Interfacing as some of the other spooky stats.

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

SimonChris posted:

I've never seen this, but this seems kind of like how I already read with extra guideposts. Neat.

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

SimonChris posted:

This works even better!

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Powerful :unsmith: energy itt

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

I beat this game twice in a row and tried to move onto something else and now I'm starting a third playthrough as a musclehead cop (who so far has completely failed to pass any fys checks). It's a good game.

Tiger Millionaire
Jan 25, 2014

He'll eat your kids and fire your parents!

Tylana posted:

Communism mostly wants high Int stats IIRC? Especially Rhetoric? So might feel different unless you did Sherlock Holmes on your first run.

2/2/2/6 was my first play through. It's interesting to see the detective as basically competent. But the writers clearly didn't have the same love of freaky Interfacing as some of the other spooky stats.

This was pretty much my first run and I was really pleasantly surprised at how much Perception (Smell) steals the show as the comedy skill

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011
My shirt order shipped, hell yeah.

I ordered the Stars&Antlers and the RCM's finest with Kim and Harry.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

https://twitter.com/velvetChaika/status/1544766694370992130

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Finally started playing this. Definitely the first time I've ever thought "this has good writing" without adding "for a game" after it. Currently at the end of the first day and I haven't even tried to talk to the union yet; I spent the whole time just chatting with random locals and the West Pines rep on the boat. I don't even have the body down yet! Am I bad at this? I did savescum just once, when I was trying to use boltcutters on a padlock and failed so hard twice in a row that I almost died(?).

I'm leaning hard into communist rhetoric and doomsaying (we always play ourselves the first time around, right?). Should I be adding more spaces for the random obtrusive thoughts on level up, focusing on a certain stat, or just winging it?

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Wolfsheim posted:

Finally started playing this. Definitely the first time I've ever thought "this has good writing" without adding "for a game" after it. Currently at the end of the first day and I haven't even tried to talk to the union yet; I spent the whole time just chatting with random locals and the West Pines rep on the boat. I don't even have the body down yet! Am I bad at this? I did savescum just once, when I was trying to use boltcutters on a padlock and failed so hard twice in a row that I almost died(?).

I'm leaning hard into communist rhetoric and doomsaying (we always play ourselves the first time around, right?). Should I be adding more spaces for the random obtrusive thoughts on level up, focusing on a certain stat, or just winging it?

Just make sure you've got a place to stay the first few nights and roll with it, and accept any pheromones people may offer you and don't shower them off, you can't gently caress it up like you're worried about and you're 100%, absolutely, for sure gonna want to replay it for other paths once you're done.

Click the buttons doe health or morale in the bottom right to save yourself from death if you have an item to do so, and press tab to highlight stuff you can interact with.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service
no wrong answers in this game, failing is part of the experience

also despite what it may feel like there are no real time limits either, feel free to take your time

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

Wolfsheim posted:

You're doing great, no wrong answers as has been said (there's even an achievement for completing the game without interacting with the body, to give you an idea of the range of possibilities). I'd avoid savescumming on your first playthrough just for the experience (a lot of the best writing comes from failed rolls).

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Oh save often tho, don't save scum though if you do it's not going to really ruin anything, it's just a good habit in general because the autosave is strange in unreliable. It's just that losing a roll is of sometimes the best outcome and it's not a game where a binary of "pass to save the child" and "fail and the child dies" exists.

Definitely share your thoughts on stuff as you progress here though, God what I would do to be able to go through this again for the first time.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
I'm pretty sure I posted this elsewhere on here, but the game will make it abundantly clear if loving up will lead to a game over precisely because of your action. It's fine to fail otherwise.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Idk if it's that clear, but mostly if someone dies it is a game over, and that's not normally a surprise

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Epic High Five posted:

Oh save often tho, don't save scum though if you do it's not going to really ruin anything, it's just a good habit in general because the autosave is strange in unreliable. It's just that losing a roll is of sometimes the best outcome and it's not a game where a binary of "pass to save the child" and "fail and the child dies" exists.

Yeah, I've failed a couple other things (generally with interesting results), I only savescummed the deadbolt thing because I just failed in the exact same way twice (the second time at around 70% even) and took 2 damage from it when I had like one healing item on hand.

quote:

Definitely share your thoughts on stuff as you progress here though, God what I would do to be able to go through this again for the first time.

So far I really love the whole straight cop/amnesiac communist prophet cop thing me and Kim have going on. His palpable frustration when I just start interrogating random people who clearly have absolutely nothing to do with the case is extremely enjoyable. I particularly enjoyed (accidentally) bringing the bookseller's daughter in from the cold and getting a fedora out of it, and trying to impress the two old men playing a game by hurling their ball as far away as I could like a shot-put at the urgings of my mind (Drama, I think?).

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Wolfsheim posted:

Yeah, I've failed a couple other things (generally with interesting results), I only savescummed the deadbolt thing because I just failed in the exact same way twice (the second time at around 70% even) and took 2 damage from it when I had like one healing item on hand.

So far I really love the whole straight cop/amnesiac communist prophet cop thing me and Kim have going on. His palpable frustration when I just start interrogating random people who clearly have absolutely nothing to do with the case is extremely enjoyable. I particularly enjoyed (accidentally) bringing the bookseller's daughter in from the cold and getting a fedora out of it, and trying to impress the two old men playing a game by hurling their ball as far away as I could like a shot-put at the urgings of my mind (Drama, I think?).

That would be Coach Physical Instrument, which is funny you bring up because if you hucked it into the sea much to their dismay it's because you successfully failed the task at hand because your lovable detective had no actual idea what was going on, and one of my favorite examples of just how differently the pass/fail dynamic is in the game. Sounds like you're on good footing though, you're in for a treat!

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Problem

So you were minding your own business -- trying to get some detective work done -- when suddenly a voice emerged from within you and told you you're a wuss, a namby-pamby, a sissy and a limp jellyfish. This voice has *zero* gender-sensitivity and even less empathy for underwhelming athletic performance. Try to purposefully piss it off, see if it teaches you something. Pretend you don't know the difference between a double and a single support phase in the discipline of hammer throw. It hates that.

Solution

Wait! How *did* you know all those hammer throw techniques? How do you know how to hold a discus? Or the world youth record *in* discus? Something doesn't add up here. This mushy thing between your ears didn't know the name of the *city* you're in, but it comes *loaded* with trivia about the correct “chin-position” of a shot put ball. Could it be that... SHUT UP NAMBY-PAMBY! This train of thought ends abruptly. It’s *leg day*! Straighten your rhombus muscle! It’s shirts vs. skins -- take your shirt off Namby, you're skins!

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

I got a reply back from one of the team members at ZA/UM about the dyslexia update:

He has dyslexia himself and found the font helped a lot with reading comprehension and was happy to hear that it helped someone else. He also said that he will support it for other titles and will research into it more.

Entorwellian fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Jul 7, 2022

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Hey now. Ruud might be a monster, but Trant is a friend.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

sebzilla posted:

Hey now. Ruud might be a monster, but Trant is a friend.

I value Trant for giving me the idea that turns trivia into unlimited personal growth (the biggest power fantasy in DE) and I respect him for involving a small child in a police operation under the pretense of the world's most depressing single dad outing.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

:siren: Fill that Horrific Tie shaped hole in your life with a Horrific Tie. :siren:

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Snuffman posted:

:siren: Fill that Horrific Tie shaped hole in your life with a Horrific Tie. :siren:

I wear this to work fairly often and *routinely* get compliments on it

Not horrible enough

I think the color variety and contrast means it goes well with a lot of outfits

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Jul 8, 2022

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

PROBLEM

A few days ago you made an irritated radio call in response to one of the latest happenings on the increasingly heated *culture war* front. In response to the decision of an actress (actor) named Ellen (Elliot) Page. You are employing this awkward and impossible naming style because it is now apparently mandatory and you're probably doing it wrong. Nonetheless, as *you're doing it wrong* is the whole point of what has been made mandatory. But also, you're trying to make a point. You've essentially been banned from Speedfreaks.FM as a consequence. You say *banned* although technically you've been *suspended*. But the suspension will not be lifted unless you retract the hateful statement in question, and you would rather die than do that. And hopefully it will not come to that, although who the hell knows in these increasingly strange days.

SOLUTION

Up yours, woke moralists! We'll see who cancels who!

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I wear this to work fairly often and *routinely* get compliments on it

Not horrible enough

I think the color variety and contrast means it goes well with a lot of outfits

I've worn it to a couple casual functions and been unironically complimented on it, too.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Are you sure it was unironic, or did you fail a rhetoric check?

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

EorayMel posted:

Problem

So you were minding your own business -- trying to get some detective work done -- when suddenly a voice emerged from within you and told you you're a wuss, a namby-pamby, a sissy and a limp jellyfish. This voice has *zero* gender-sensitivity and even less empathy for underwhelming athletic performance. Try to purposefully piss it off, see if it teaches you something. Pretend you don't know the difference between a double and a single support phase in the discipline of hammer throw. It hates that.

Solution

Wait! How *did* you know all those hammer throw techniques? How do you know how to hold a discus? Or the world youth record *in* discus? Something doesn't add up here. This mushy thing between your ears didn't know the name of the *city* you're in, but it comes *loaded* with trivia about the correct “chin-position” of a shot put ball. Could it be that... SHUT UP NAMBY-PAMBY! This train of thought ends abruptly. It’s *leg day*! Straighten your rhombus muscle! It’s shirts vs. skins -- take your shirt off Namby, you're skins!

i don't know nothing about any of that so let me instead tell you about contact mike

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Fister Roboto posted:

PROBLEM

A few days ago you made an irritated radio call in response to one of the latest happenings on the increasingly heated *culture war* front. In response to the decision of an actress (actor) named Ellen (Elliot) Page. You are employing this awkward and impossible naming style because it is now apparently mandatory and you're probably doing it wrong. Nonetheless, as *you're doing it wrong* is the whole point of what has been made mandatory. But also, you're trying to make a point. You've essentially been banned from Speedfreaks.FM as a consequence. You say *banned* although technically you've been *suspended*. But the suspension will not be lifted unless you retract the hateful statement in question, and you would rather die than do that. And hopefully it will not come to that, although who the hell knows in these increasingly strange days.

SOLUTION

Up yours, woke moralists! We'll see who cancels who!

Volition [Trivial] : Failure