Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

josh04 posted:

It does kinda sound like they want to drop HBO MAX entirely.

That's my takeaway from this which is kind of dismaying because it is the only streaming service where I feel like I get my money's worth in terms of a deep content library and lots of decent to good original content. The UI is a disaster but I can live with that.

If they're just going to fold all of that content into Discovery Plus I guess that's fine but then the concern is how much they pare back in order to push increasingly lovely and vapid reality shows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Maxwell Lord posted:

Strictly speaking I feel like Superman III is on the Salkinds- they got worried by the first Superman going over budget, fired Donner and replaced him with Lester, and thought "Okay, let's try and do something smaller, maybe with some comedy" but still spent over $30 million. Then Supergirl flopped and they just threw up their hands and sold the license to Golan Globus.

And that resulted in one of the most enjoyable superhero movies ever. It's just so dumb...

The supervillain can be defeated with a blanket. A BLANKET.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
All I know is that Michael Keaton got paid to play Batman and that owns. The rest? Eh it's a huge mess, who care.

Although I am loling at "lol how do these companies that pull in 500+ million a month in subscriber fees make money?" questions.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
So disappointing we're not getting another season of Peacemaker. Really one of the best and consistent Cape shows

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Thundercracker posted:

So disappointing we're not getting another season of Peacemaker. Really one of the best and consistent Cape shows

What? Why wouldn’t we? Wasn’t that on HBO proper?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Thundercracker posted:

James Gunn said today that he has been told that season 2 of Peacemaker is safe. But, no info on his other HBOMax projects or Peacemaker after season 2.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
So do I have this right that the Batgirl movie is shot already but they're just not gonna release it? I don't quite get how that makes any sense, but I guess maybe there's still a big chunk of money to be spent on finishing the special effects and then marketing it, which they save if they shelve the film?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Basebf555 posted:

So do I have this right that the Batgirl movie is shot already but they're just not gonna release it? I don't quite get how that makes any sense, but I guess maybe there's still a big chunk of money to be spent on finishing the special effects and then marketing it, which they save if they shelve the film?

You have it right. And if they take a tax write-off on it they literally cannot ever sell it for money.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

You have it right. And if they take a tax write-off on it they literally cannot ever sell it for money.

Oh poo poo that's the part I wasn't thinking about. If they never release it they can recoup the money with a tax write-off, or maybe even an insurance payout.

It's pretty crazy that Michael Keaton spent decades staying away from Batman because he was so disillusioned with the whole superhero blockbuster thing and then like 30 years later when he finally decides to dip his toe back in some corporate stooge comes along and locks his performance up in a vault.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

josh04 posted:

It does kinda sound like they want to drop HBO MAX entirely.

There's some reports coming out now that when the current CEO took over he went on an apology tour with the studios to back in their good graces after the companie's day and date decision during the pandemic.

One of the promises he made was killing first run movies on the streaming service.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

On the upside that means it will inevitably end up readily available online at some point like stuff like Foodfight!, the unaired Justice League pilot for the 90s, etc.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Basebf555 posted:

They were originally going to release it on HBOMax, but apparently, they decided that:

A) It wouldn't attract enough new subscribers to make any real money.

B) It was so bad that it would damage the brand if they released it or they would have to invest even more than the~$90 million they already put in for reshoots and rewrites.

C) A theatrical release was out of the question.

So, they are going to write the whole thing off as a loss on their taxes because they feel like that is the way they could recoup most money from the project.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

There's some reports coming out now that when the current CEO took over he went on an apology tour with the studios to back in their good graces after the companie's day and date decision during the pandemic.

One of the promises he made was killing first run movies on the streaming service.

This is also a big reason too.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Can someone who understands tax law explain how the tax write off is worth anywhere near the $70 million sunk cost?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Sandwolf posted:

Can someone who understands tax law explain how the tax write off is worth anywhere near the $70 million sunk cost?

It's not. But, the costs to reshoot and give it a theatrical release will bloat the budget another $75 million at least.

They don't think it will make them much money as an HBOMax streaming exclusive.

So, taking the loss on it is likely the best financial option out of three bad options.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Nanjiani was definitely on trenbolone. He had tren jaw and everything.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

It's not. But, the costs to reshoot and give it a theatrical release will bloat the budget another $75 million at least.

They don't think it will make them much money as an HBOMax streaming exclusive.

So, taking the loss on it is likely the best financial option out of three bad options.

I feel like the whole "damage to the brand" thing is really doing a lot of the heavy lifting here though, because there's nothing stopping them from releasing the movie other than that. They don't have to spend money on reshoots, a Batgirl movie with Keaton returning as Batman would definitely bring in a few hundred million at the box office, regardless of how bad the movie is.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Basebf555 posted:

I feel like the whole "damage to the brand" thing is really doing a lot of the heavy lifting here though, because there's nothing stopping them from releasing the movie other than that. They don't have to spend money on reshoots, a Batgirl movie with Keaton returning as Batman would definitely bring in a few hundred million at the box office, regardless of how bad the movie is.

Damaging the brand is something I've only seen fans run with and not from any credible sources. I doubt that is a real reason considering you can watch Batwoman or Titans on HBO Max. I refuse to believe Batgirl could be worse than those shows.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Spacebump posted:

Damaging the brand is something I've only seen fans run with and not from any credible sources. I doubt that is a real reason considering you can watch Batwoman or Titans on HBO Max. I refuse to believe Batgirl could be worse than those shows.

Without that this decision doesn't make sense though. Do they really think they're gonna release a movie with Keaton Batman in it and it's gonna make less than $100 mil at the box office? I don't care how bad it is, it would still bring in something in the range of 250-500 mil if they released it.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Basebf555 posted:

Without that this decision doesn't make sense though. Do they really think they're gonna release a movie with Keaton Batman in it and it's gonna make less than $100 mil at the box office? I don't care how bad it is, it would still bring in something in the range of 250-500 mil if they released it.

$500 million seems really optimistic.

You also have to factor in another $75 to $90 million in costs for advertisement and post-production work.

Plus, the studio only gets about 40% to 50% of the actual box office.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Basebf555 posted:

I think they are erasing Keaton Bat and reversing to Batfleck. In the past two weeks Keaton has been removed from Aquaman 2 and this movie was canceled.

I don't know what they are going to do with the Flash, they spent way too much to not release it.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Spacebump posted:

I think they are erasing Keaton Bat and reversing to Batfleck. In the past two weeks Keaton has been removed from Aquaman 2 and this movie was canceled.

I don't know what they are going to do with the Flash, they spent way too much to not release it.

lol the twists and turns of this franchise or universe or whatever we're calling it have been truly absurd. Hopefully one day someone will write a good book about it all.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

The tax write-off argument could make sense for Batgirl which cost $90 million and could potentially cost more to make possible changes to it, but it's wild that they're also doing that with a completely finished animated Scooby-doo movie that cost less than half that.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Srice posted:

The tax write-off argument could make sense for Batgirl which cost $90 million and could potentially cost more to make possible changes to it, but it's wild that they're also doing that with a completely finished animated Scooby-doo movie that cost less than half that.

It was also supposed to be an HBOMax streaming exclusive. Seems like they are killing the entire idea of HBOMax exclusive movies.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Sandwolf posted:

It's not. At best it's worth around 25%, plus whatever accounting tricks they can use for depreciation of assets (for instance, it was shot on a common greenscreen backlot, so you can take some depreciation on that, etc.). It's a sign that they think the movie is an absolute turd that is at least 75% garbage.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

It was also supposed to be an HBOMax streaming exclusive. Seems like they are killing the entire idea of HBOMax exclusive movies.

Yea. Definitely doesn't bode well!

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Spacebump posted:

Wait, Keaton was supposed to be in Aquaman 2 also?

Also, didn't the studio end up cutting almost all of Amber Heard from the movie to appease the insane Johnny Depp mob?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Chairman Capone posted:

Also, didn't the studio end up cutting almost all of Amber Heard from the movie to appease the insane Johnny Depp mob?

If I remember correctly they're claiming that they just didn't think she had much chemistry with Momoa in the first movie so her role was always planned to be scaled back in Aquaman 2. Most people don't buy that though.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Aquaman 2 is going to be 24 minutes long and cut like the episode of Itchy and Scratchy where Poochy went back to his home planet.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Chairman Capone posted:

Wait, Keaton was supposed to be in Aquaman 2 also?

Keaton was supposed to have an appearance, but Aquaman 2 was also supposed to come out AFTER the flash, so it was assumed that the reshoot for Affleck was to accommodate that, but now with the news of Batgirl it seems they're just reversing course on having Flashpoint remove batfleck.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
If they actually got Affleck back they must've offered him an absurd amount of money for what probably amounted to like a week of work.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

MacheteZombie posted:

Keaton was supposed to have an appearance, but Aquaman 2 was also supposed to come out AFTER the flash, so it was assumed that the reshoot for Affleck was to accommodate that, but now with the news of Batgirl it seems they're just reversing course on having Flashpoint remove batfleck.

At this point the only thing that changes after The Flashpoint event is The Flash himself.

Probably the best outcome, to be honest.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

I am excited to read WarnerWar.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

If they actually got Affleck back they must've offered him an absurd amount of money for what probably amounted to like a week of work.

So I think right now the deal was a few cameo spots but rumor is they are backing a brinks truck up to his house full of cash to do another full movie.

Jimbot posted:

At this point the only thing that changes after The Flashpoint event is The Flash himself.

Probably the best outcome, to be honest.

It'll be nuts if they release the movie mostly as is with like a 5 minute ending reshoot where Ezra is replaced by some other person. They could do the justice league joke where lex is in flashes body and unmasks him only to realize he doesn't know who he's looking at in the mirror, except it's just Barry not recognizing nuBarry.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Basebf555 posted:

lol the twists and turns of this franchise or universe or whatever we're calling it have been truly absurd. Hopefully one day someone will write a good book about it all.

More interesting than the average cape flick honestly.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Basebf555 posted:

Oh poo poo that's the part I wasn't thinking about. If they never release it they can recoup the money with a tax write-off, or maybe even an insurance payout.

It's pretty crazy that Michael Keaton spent decades staying away from Batman because he was so disillusioned with the whole superhero blockbuster thing and then like 30 years later when he finally decides to dip his toe back in some corporate stooge comes along and locks his performance up in a vault.

He's probably doesn't care much since he got paid, but also because:

https://twitter.com/IndieWire/status/1554165564850941952

Keaton owns.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Arist posted:

https://www.indiewire.com/2022/08/hbo-max-removed-6-streaming-movies-1234747761/

This article suggests that even more stuff is going to be pulled off HBO Max soon.

tl;dr version:

- New management was getting heat from all sides about streaming and wanted a clean break from streaming commitments as a show of good faith to actors, theaters, and production companies.

- They are cancelling or removing all TV shows and movies that they possibly can that qualify for a tax write-off to try and stem the financial bleeding and help find $3 billion in cost savings after the merger left the new company heavily leveraged and in debt.

- They still plan to focus on making "vertically integrated" products with in-house IPs (especially Batman, Superman, Mortal Kombat, Looney Toons, etc.) that are cheap and profitable. Video games and other tie-in products still planned, but scripted streaming shows don't produce money unless they are megahits like Stranger Things/Marvel/Star Wars shows that drive millions of subscriptions. They don't want to gamble on dozens of shows in the hopes that they can get a megahit and think it is safer to get out of scripted streaming entirely.

- WB is having a public media and earnings call to explain their new business plan, calm investors and production partners, and outline the future of the company tomorrow morning.

They are also basically folding most of HBOMax since they are done with scripted streaming shows and streaming exclusive movies.

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1554898759196315648

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

MacheteZombie posted:

It'll be nuts if they release the movie mostly as is with like a 5 minute ending reshoot where Ezra is replaced by some other person. They could do the justice league joke where lex is in flashes body and unmasks him only to realize he doesn't know who he's looking at in the mirror, except it's just Barry not recognizing nuBarry.

They could probably get away with it if they hired Grant Gustin, fans would probably feel pretty good about him getting a crack at it.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

MacheteZombie posted:

It'll end with the Flash standing there and the entire rest of the Justice League behind him played by all the original actors. Superman will step forward and say "Welcome, Flash. Welcome... to the Snyderverse" and Flash will turn around and it'll be Zack Snyder.

Shortly after all the telecommunication companies take down the internet because the Snyder sickos and antis collectively lose their poo poo, frothing at the mouth in excitement/anger and begin to choke the internet with billions of hot takes per second.

Jimbot fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Aug 3, 2022

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

They could probably get away with it if they hired Grant Gustin, fans would probably feel pretty good about him getting a crack at it.

NO!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

The last season's finale of The Flash had about half a million viewers. There's not enough fans remaining to make a difference at the scale of a blockbuster film.