Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol
3 has mary elizabeth winstead in maybe the most 2006 outfit/hair/makeup possible. that's a point in its favor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Which is the one where the gymnast gets got because goddamn is that a brutal one.

This one :

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

I think that’s the last one

And the scene was so tense getting to that point too, I remember

gently caress I may have to do this rewatch soon lol

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS
Every weekend I check to see if Nope is available for rent and the answer has been nope what seems like a ridiculous number of times now. Whyyyyyyyyuyuyyy

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I watched the whole series recently, and yeah, I really think most of them are pretty poo poo outside of the first one, the closest to being an actual film...I thought like, 2, 3, and 5 were all just about equal shlocky stupid films, more or less living and dying based on whether or not they had actually entertaining setpieces.
I think this series goes 1 > 2 > 5 > 3 > 4, but I might be higher on 5 (which is definitely bad movie territory) just cuz it's a breath of fresh air after how bad The Final Destination (the fourth one) was. The series reached this nadir with the fourth where it hit new levels (even for the Final Destination series) of barely pretending to have characters, actors who act, a story, actual dialogue, etc but even the kills weren't really that memorable (just throwing CGI meat at the screen). At least the earlier ones had decent openings, that racetrack poo poo was garbage.
Can you imagine a series hitting the sort of rock bottom where you're like, drat I miss the charismatic and emotive acting of Ali Larter and Devon Sawa. ALI LARTER AND DEVON SAWA.

Really I'd like a return to "trying to make these an actual movie kind of" or at the very least get actors with even an iota of ability/charisma (the cast of the fourth one is really rough, bottom barrel tier), but it's fine to toe the line there as long as you have interesting kills that aren't too Bush era horror cruel (which you got a lot of in like 3), or just don't look like absolute poo poo like a lot of the later CGI.

Hollismason posted:

Which is the one where the gymnast gets got because goddamn is that a brutal one.

This one :

Yeah 5 at least had some decent tense deaths like this one. Eye surgery too. Overall it's kind of a return to form in that the last film in the series before it with more than just one memorable death was Final Destination 2.

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Sep 24, 2022

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS
i always appreciated penismightier’s take that Final Destination was the culmination of the slasher genre, with the killer finally becoming death itself (or something like that)

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Right, it's a slasher movie distilled down with anything extraneous like "actually having a villain" removed.

XIII posted:

I saw the first Final Destination when I was like 11-12 and was sneak-watching any horror movie I could. I distinctly remember it really freaking me out because of how hopeless I felt for all the characters. No matter what they did to try and survive, fate's fate, baby. It ruled.

I'm totally with this, I want to see them play it totally straight. Just "all of you hosed with fate and now the concept of destiny itself wants its pound of flesh". Get loving bleak with it.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

Every weekend I check to see if Nope is available for rent and the answer has been nope what seems like a ridiculous number of times now. Whyyyyyyyyuyuyyy

It is you just have to pay 20 for it.

It’s out on Blu ray October 18th

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

davidspackage posted:

loving love Bautista and this trailer is really good. Can't wait for Shyamalan to put outer space alien dialogue in the mouths of these gaydads and their daughter.

Reminds me that Bautista was supposed to be involved in a film adaptation of the comic series Body Bags, and he's the perfect choice to play Mack Delgado/Clownface as that character is basically what you get when you put a Slasher and a Action Movie "Hero" in a blender and get a murderous hate smoothie as the result

flashy_mcflash posted:

I've thought that for the last few years, even the peak pandemic ones. The output from such a vast variety of creators has been so, so good from big budget stuff all the way down to indie YouTube projects like The Backrooms.

Watching this goopy nonsense tonight! (NSFW)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6p59C0EJ_U

Well that certainly is something

happyhippy posted:

It was poo poo when every 2nd movie made was a ghost girl with black hair covering her face who made stop motion jerk movements.

Agreed, especially the overreliance on jump scares which are the cheapest and lowest form of horror aside from maybe using actual footage of people or animals dying

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Chris James 2 posted:

It's a franchise I definitely wanna rewatch before I commit to anything more than "2 still has one of the best opening scenes ever", the only thing I really feel sure about

I'm paranoid about having water bottles in my car to this day :rice:

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Takes No Damage posted:

I'm paranoid about having water bottles in my car to this day :rice:

It totally CAN happen. drat the odds.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Gejimayu posted:

The wife and I only get a babysitter once every month or so, and we're trying to decide if we want to see barbarian or pearl in theaters. We saw X and really like Ti West but but I feel like maybe barbarian would be better in theaters and pearl would be fine at home? Any recommendations without spoiling much?

Just leave the kid some instant noodles and an I-Pad. They'll be fine.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

ADDED incentive to join the Munsters stream: find out how I actually pronounce my username :o

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

It's obviously [kʰauːœːɛtːl̥tʰjɛː].

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Where is The Stuff on posters horror list?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

MariusLecter posted:

Personally I think it's a hidden classic of 80's horror and one that deserves a remake of some sort, if mostly so Chocolate Chip Charlie won't be done so dirty

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

MariusLecter posted:

It’s a weird one but I can’t deny how much stuff there is in The Stuff. Gotta love that Stuff

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Kvlt! posted:

ADDED incentive to join the Munsters stream: find out how I actually pronounce my username :o

Should make that some kind of stretch goal for donations, otherwise it will remain forever unknowable, like that Blood Duster album that they intentionally destroyed before releasing it:

discogs posted:

This LP is basically unplayable. As an artistic endeavour, the album was cut and the lacquer was destroyed by scratching the album's title and a pentagram into each side. Each copy of the album has these scratches, making it an edition only for collectors.

55 copies were made for fans, plus 5 copies for the band, making a total of 60 pressed. (Source. FB)
The band claimed that even the recordings were destroyed, so that nobody could have a functional copy.

e:
I cannot suffer a typo to live.

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Sep 24, 2022

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

2022 has been a fun year but seriously in 2018 we were blessed with Hereditary, Mandy, Suspiria, Halloween, The Nightingale, Annihilation, Upgrade, A Quiet Place, like loads of great poo poo

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

https://twitter.com/anthony/status/1573501908702085129?s=46&t=O3hL9ca9Pz_4KWfEX-cjSQ
https://twitter.com/bjornon/status/1573504493580259328?s=46&t=IOyMFc4GfcZOsQi8Ssuu5A
https://twitter.com/indianajet/status/1573507485880750080?s=46&t=IOyMFc4GfcZOsQi8Ssuu5A

Love this sorta marketing

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Takes No Damage posted:

Should make that some kind of stretch goal for donations, otherwise it will remain forever unknowable, like that Blood Duster album that the intentionally destroyed before releasing it:

Lord that is so loving pretentious

Xander B Coolridge
Sep 2, 2011

dorium posted:

Love this sorta marketing

Wish it looked like a good movie at all

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Hollismason posted:

Which is the one with the logs on a freeway is that 2? Because that's one of the best openings of a horror movie ever.

I think about that and the opening of The Descent literally every single time I see boards and poo poo strapped to people's cars.

It's like that bit in The Omen but at freeway speeds.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
The best death from Final Destination will forever be the tanning bed death from 3. The best is the smash cut from the pair of burning tanning beds to coffins at the funeral. Just, holy poo poo, the black humor of this series when done right is chef's kiss as the kids say.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Justin Godscock posted:

The best death from Final Destination will forever be the tanning bed death from 3. The best is the smash cut from the pair of burning tanning beds to coffins at the funeral. Just, holy poo poo, the black humor of this series when done right is chef's kiss as the kids say.

Rollercoaster of Love slaps too

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Justin Godscock posted:

Yeah...it's up there...It's just so loving cruel though, I get that's part of why the scene works but it's so typical of its era of horror to basically have the most absolutely brutal death in the entire series be given to the "shallow blondes".

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

The Final Destination (#4, IIRC) filmed like half an hour away from me at a country club and the death set there involves one of the main guys getting his insides sucked out by a pool drain :getin:

That series is so ridiculous and I love it.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Rageaholic posted:

The Final Destination (#4, IIRC) filmed like half an hour away from me at a country club and the death set there involves one of the main guys getting his insides sucked out by a pool drain :getin:

That series is so ridiculous and I love it.

No that really happened, I read about it on the internet. GUTS

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
the best deaths in final destination are the ones where they survive and start cheering about beating death and then get pwned right afterwards

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Lol yah. Don’t do that!

It reminds me of this scene

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6e1LRGrvFNg

2:03

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

CelticPredator posted:

Lol yah. Don’t do that!

It reminds me of this scene

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6e1LRGrvFNg

2:03

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxyKbR3GmsY

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

That movie has some of the dumbest poo poo I've ever seen and also some of the most brilliant and which are which changes constantly and might be the same.

That movie is fascinating.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Hollismason posted:

Which is the one with the logs on a freeway is that 2? Because that's one of the best openings of a horror movie ever.

That scene's made my fiance nervous any time we're driving behind a log truck.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

XIII posted:

I saw the first Final Destination when I was like 11-12 and was sneak-watching any horror movie I could. I distinctly remember it really freaking me out because of how hopeless I felt for all the characters. No matter what they did to try and survive, fate's fate, baby. It ruled.

Devon Sawa trying to escape Death by staying in a lonely cabin gave me strong NoES vibes where teenagers think they can just stay awake indefinitely by chugging cola and instant coffee. It is a charmingly naive approach, like a child immitating grown-ups in the hope that will help avoiding the inevitable.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Welp! I ignored the warnings that Don't Worry Darling was a bad movie and went to see it anyway. This was a mistake, I should not have done that.

It's bad! It starts out so well, but then it gets so stupid! But not stupid in a way that's fun and interesting, stupid in a way that's poorly paced and sucks!

It's got a decent amount of tension between Pugh and Pine. For a while I thought the twist was going to be the women Stepfording the men into being capable human beings, but nope.

I think they could have gotten more from it without the electroshock flashbacks? Maybe? It just collapsed at the end as they the through the exposition flashback of hubs cranking hog to image boards and weirdo podcasts. That plus Alice braining him to death in a cut away shot was... lazy. much like everything else after that point

Good points: It was nice to see Nick Kroll get run over by a car. And Pugh's ability to goggle uncomprehendingly at her circumstances was very convincing. The audio work was genuinely great at amping up the tension and the stage craft was incredible. All the houses felt real and well lived in.

Hard to recommend, but given what I thought it was going to be? 75% decent movie by runtime.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Grendels Dad posted:

Devon Sawa trying to escape Death by staying in a lonely cabin gave me strong NoES vibes where teenagers think they can just stay awake indefinitely by chugging cola and instant coffee. It is a charmingly naive approach, like a child immitating grown-ups in the hope that will help avoiding the inevitable.
It's funny cuz with the kinda poo poo his cabin had he'd have been safer in some random apartment

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

M_Sinistrari posted:

That scene's made my fiance nervous any time we're driving behind a log truck.

No judgement, one drat near killed Stevie Wonder in '73 :ohdear:

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

There's an appropriately brutal lumber truck related death in the novel Blackwater, which I still think is one of those books that deserves to be adapted as a TV show or mini series some day

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

Takes No Damage posted:

No judgement, one drat near killed Stevie Wonder in '73 :ohdear:

The gently caress was he doing driving...?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

MariusLecter posted:

Favorite Larry Cohen movie no question, and that’s high praise