Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!

green kingfisher posted:

I miss having a bike so bad.

I get overwhelmed when trying to decide on what I want now and living in Los Angeles makes me feel like such a scared rabbit about the prospect of riding in the city proper.

If I just wanted to do some trails(concrete and dirt) what would be my best option?

Explain it to me like I'm as stupid as I sound please :/

Check out the bicycle megathread op, that answers a lot of questions about bikes: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3933899

I'm not a professional or anything, but my advice would be to find a coop that sells used bikes and see what they recommend or got on hand if you want cheap, but probably good shape. Craigslist has a lot of options and you can post listings that you're considering in one of the various threads. If you're ok spending a bit of money, a bike shop will help you out.

For city riding and locking up, you can check out the commuter thread https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3933970

For city riding/commuting an old beat up bike is great because it's easy to replace and you're not going to cry about it if it gets ruined or stolen. My city is filled with drivers that are not good at driving and have very poor attitudes, so starting out it was a bit of a contact sport for me and my friend. Starting out for you, it's a good idea to be very careful about routes, use bike lanes, be careful in intersections to not be going through them next to cars, and if you feel the need to ride on a sidewalk: understand that you need to slow down to pedestrian speeds while crossing alleys or streets.

Edit: Oh yeah, and final thought about city riding is treat pedestrians like they're children and treat children like they're going to dive in front of you at every opportunity. Slow down and give them all a lot of room. Bikes are really fast and very silent, so you can surprise people.

Mauser fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Sep 16, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Development
Jun 2, 2016

where my dong hydro squad at

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
I think the best version of this bike so far

Not the lightest it's been, not the grippiest tires I've had. But still pretty light and fast uphill, and a little more capable overall. Like the tires, the new seatpost, really like the new digressive valving in the shock. Maybe all it needs now is axs.

jamal fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Sep 17, 2022

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
mama mia

klezmer life yo
Jan 7, 2011

Went to Whistler last week, my first trip since 2011. I did a full rebuild over the few weekends before, but this is my 2005 Brodie from before I stopped cycling, with the (long-shocked, flipped link, dual-crown) setup I had wanted but couldn't afford when I originally built it.

Ignore the Sunrace derailleur, I exploded my original Shimano on the first day of the weekend, and this was the best the bike shops could immediately sell me for 8spd.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

what am i lookin at here

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I too would like to know what's happening there.

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires
BMX Formula 1. It was a thing for a little while

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Lmao someone cut up a ninja 250 for that

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Cyclocross season

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.

Dog Case posted:

BMX Formula 1. It was a thing for a little while

My buddy has a BMX F1 bike he converted to pull a trailer that he uses to haul his track bike to the velodrome to race on. It's a pretty amazing combo.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

tylertfb posted:

My buddy has a BMX F1 bike he converted to pull a trailer that he uses to haul his track bike to the velodrome to race on. It's a pretty amazing combo.

The photo you meant to post didn't upload.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

Went biking around the Eastern Shore of MD. Hit up Chincoteague (didn't see any horses) and Assateague (saw some horses). The horses were in the bike lane :mad:

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Those ponies give no fucks

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

New bar bike let's gooo

spf3million fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Oct 1, 2022

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

spf3million posted:

New bar bike let's gooo
I don't think you have have self control to not bling that out.

A month from now we're going to see this bike with rene herse tires, paul brakes, and SON lighting.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
New shoes from Singapore:

69mm depth
23mm internal
35mm external (31mm at the edge)
hooked
DT Swiss 180 hubs, Sapim CX Ray spokes
1549g ... The owner of the company offered to go through their stock and find their lightest rims for me.

Overall impressions... very, very good.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

CopperHound posted:

I don't think you have have self control to not bling that out.

A month year from now we're going to see this bike with rene herse tires, paul brakes, and SON lighting.
ftfy

Otherwise, I feel very seen

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

TobinHatesYou posted:

New shoes from Singapore:

69mm depth
23mm internal
35mm external (31mm at the edge)
hooked
DT Swiss 180 hubs, Sapim CX Ray spokes
1549g ... The owner of the company offered to go through their stock and find their lightest rims for me.

Overall impressions... very, very good.

this bike looks so sick

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...

Time posted:

this bike looks so sick

I love those paintjobs that still look wet, that's a cool bike.

a loathsome bird
Aug 15, 2004

1990 Bridgestone RB-2 - forgive the bad photo, only one I got. Broke it in with a 70 mile ride this morning and it rides like a cloud. Perfect weather, new old bike, good times.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Finally upgraded from my ~2009 Specialized Sirrus to a 2022 Kona Libre and my god I should've done it sooner. I was concerned about adapting to drop bars but it was a complete non-issue. I am in love with this bike, I've already gone further and faster than I ever did on the Sirrus and the ergonomics are night and day. I can finally keep up with my fiancee on her Scott Addict in the second picture. On the most recent ride it developed some front brake shudder but I'll figure it out.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Fifty Three posted:

On the most recent ride it developed some front brake shudder but I'll figure it out.

Did you bed in the pads?

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Fifty Three posted:

Finally upgraded from my ~2009 Specialized Sirrus to a 2022 Kona Libre and my god I should've done it sooner. I was concerned about adapting to drop bars but it was a complete non-issue. I am in love with this bike, I've already gone further and faster than I ever did on the Sirrus and the ergonomics are night and day. I can finally keep up with my fiancee on her Scott Addict in the second picture. On the most recent ride it developed some front brake shudder but I'll figure it out.

Good bike.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Did you bed in the pads?

also double check in case the headset is loose

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Did you bed in the pads?
Sure didn't. :( Embarrassing, I'm comfortable with car and motorcycle maintenance and never even considered bedding in bicycle brakes. Not sure where I'd go around here for a good spot to bed them in, I'll have to look around for solid hills. Appreciate the guidance. According to SRAM it sounds like I might be in for new rotors and pads, ah well.

Levitate posted:

also double check in case the headset is loose
Noted and thanks, I'll check that too.

bicievino posted:

Good bike.
Thanks! I love the way the paint shifts from blue to green depending on sunlight, and I'm glad the LBS upsold me on dope pedals for the performance as much as the color.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Fifty Three posted:

Sure didn't. :( Embarrassing, I'm comfortable with car and motorcycle maintenance and never even considered bedding in bicycle brakes. Not sure where I'd go around here for a good spot to bed them in, I'll have to look around for solid hills. Appreciate the guidance. According to SRAM it sounds like I might be in for new rotors and pads, ah well.

Noted and thanks, I'll check that too.

Thanks! I love the way the paint shifts from blue to green depending on sunlight, and I'm glad the LBS upsold me on dope pedals for the performance as much as the color.

Nah, doubt you’ll need new anything. I’d pull the pads and look at them, at worst you might need to sand them a bit and clean the rotors.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

My crappy road bike went for a ride yesterday :sun:

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Nah, doubt you’ll need new anything. I’d pull the pads and look at them, at worst you might need to sand them a bit and clean the rotors.

My one time improperly bedding in my rotors meant they were toast. There was a pulse once per revolution that I couldn't completely get rid of with careful sanding (of the rotor's surface.)

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

Well, I put this thing together and the rain finally cleared so I waited for some dryness to bed in the brakes thanks to this thread.

I gotta put on the racks for an upcoming camping trip and make some adjustments after the first ride.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Good bike. I like the paint!

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Mauser posted:

Well, I put this thing together and the rain finally cleared so I waited for some dryness to bed in the brakes thanks to this thread.

I gotta put on the racks for an upcoming camping trip and make some adjustments after the first ride.

i don't love where the pump is but everything else is ace. what's the max width you could fit on the tires?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Mauser posted:

This is a very pleasing bike, I particularly like the large jump between the chain rings. Does it mean you have several unviable combinations?

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Mauser posted:

oohh la la

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...

Slavvy posted:

My crappy road bike went for a ride yesterday :sun:

Looks nice! My first grown up bike was an old Avanti with the same colour paint. Lots of good times.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

Bottom Liner posted:

i don't love where the pump is but everything else is ace. what's the max width you could fit on the tires?

Me neither, actually. I wish they had put the pump bump on the inside. The recommended max is tire width is 48mm with fenders and 2.2" without and mine are 47mm

Slavvy posted:

This is a very pleasing bike, I particularly like the large jump between the chain rings. Does it mean you have several unviable combinations?

I was kinda worried about this, but surprisingly not an issue. The only combination that doesn't work is largest to largest because the chain isn't long enough, but that's not a combo I would ever use.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Mauser posted:

. The recommended max is tire width is 2.2"

oh baby :pervert:

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

I almost spit out my drink because I thought rivendell was doing disc brake and thru axle.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

What a great day with the new bike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Nice! Where is that at? Looks similar to a few places on Lookout Rd, but not quite.