Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Do a thread! I'd like to see it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

sebmojo posted:

Do a thread! I'd like to see it.

Perhaps this time I will, since my poetry idea thing flamed out quicker than expected and the collage one seems to have some legs behind it. Just gotta get through the rest of the workday first. I'm sure I'm not the only one who gets art ideas at the day job where you're unable to do anything about them.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Collage owns; please post a thread

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Jesus, I got waylaid tonight but the thread is made:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3986030

Hopefully I didn't overthink the OP, my art history degree started spilling out there. Had to use it for something.

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

Just doing a check to see if it'd be alright/a good idea to have a friendly "post something you wrote" thread in the vein of the chill art thread. The Fiction Writing Thread and Thunderdome are great, but maybe some people would just like a place to throw up something that they wrote, whether it's fiction, non-fiction, a blog post, fanfic, etc. without necessarily needing to receive immediate critique.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Go for it, and feel free to pimp it around the high traffic pages.

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
Hey guys! There is now a very comprehensive and effortful youtuber thread!

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
some innovative thread-making happening in this subforum, dang. There's also now a screenwriting (and plays and podcasts and) thread!

Mr.Chill
Aug 29, 2006
My friends on the Charteuse Noir Discord wanted some advice on coloring. Which do you think is the better choice?

Or

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

They look the same to me?

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Mr.Chill posted:

My friends on the Charteuse Noir Discord wanted some advice on coloring. Which do you think is the better choice?

Or

The top one

Mr.Chill
Aug 29, 2006

dupersaurus posted:

The top one

Why's that?

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
I like the top one more except for the detail on the mountain. I think it looks better with no texture (or at least something more vague and painterly)

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

The mountain looks better in the first one but otherwise the second one, no question. The linework is simple (as in it's thin and consistent) so it lets a more complex colouring style stand out; the first one would work well with more complex linework, but as it is it looks a lot flatter and lacking in depth to me.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Mr.Chill posted:

Why's that?

Pillow shading plus extremely half-assed hatching is a cursed combination

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
Does anyone else ever feel like the work they're producing isn't like an accurate representation of the feelings or ideas you want to evoke?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I have no idea where to post this so I'm just gonna shoot my question here: I've been doing 3d modeling and sculpting for many years, but I never learned how to draw and I want to!

My main area in 3d has always been character modeling and sculpting so naturally I'm most interested in figure drawing. It just feels like I'm in a weird spot since I have some skill in drawing and obviously a good grasp of shapes and dimensions but I struggle with the "getting my hands to do what I want" part.

Based on my previous experience, is there somewhere y'all would suggest I begin? I've tried to find stuff on my own but just using google results in a mess of books, online courses and hundreds of pages of "7000 TOP tips to draw ANIME" and I'd love to have some guidance.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

FunkyAl posted:

Does anyone else ever feel like the work they're producing isn't like an accurate representation of the feelings or ideas you want to evoke?

That's making art dot txt. I don't know your specifics, but it sounds like a cue to work on details and technique, make the problem space smaller.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Your Computer posted:

I have no idea where to post this so I'm just gonna shoot my question here: I've been doing 3d modeling and sculpting for many years, but I never learned how to draw and I want to!

My main area in 3d has always been character modeling and sculpting so naturally I'm most interested in figure drawing. It just feels like I'm in a weird spot since I have some skill in drawing and obviously a good grasp of shapes and dimensions but I struggle with the "getting my hands to do what I want" part.

Based on my previous experience, is there somewhere y'all would suggest I begin? I've tried to find stuff on my own but just using google results in a mess of books, online courses and hundreds of pages of "7000 TOP tips to draw ANIME" and I'd love to have some guidance.

Maybe drop a query in the daily drawing thread? There's a population of very good artists in there who might have some pointers.

Claeaus
Mar 29, 2010

Your Computer posted:

I'm no professional but following this really helped me get going: https://drawabox.com/

It gets you through the fundamentals techniques of actually drawing (holding pen and making lines) and will then move on to teaching you construction so you can draw things that look 3D. And since you've already familiar with 3D I'm guessing you will have an easier time taking those lessons in. Although you will not be getting any pretty drawings from the lessons for the first weeks/months and many of the lessons are not what I would call "fun" so you should not do Drawabox 100% of your drawing time. The course even tells you to split your time 50/50 between the lessons and drawing for fun to not get burned out. I've finished 5 of the 7 lessons and it took a looong time but it really improved my skills.

Proko also has great tutorials on figure drawing and a bunch of the lessons are free: https://www.proko.com/course/figure-drawing-fundamentals/overview

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Anyone have a cheaper printing service they'd recommend that gives you some decent flexibility? I designed a board game for fun and want to make my own personal copy, which would consist of two gameboards, a bunch of cards, and some place markers. My standards aren't super high for the quality since it's just for fun, but I'd like to be able to have some control around paper/cardstock and be able to print double-sided. I'm happy to get uncut card sheets that I can just cut and trim on my own and such assume that saves a ton of money and logistical coordination.

I haven't used a printing service in over a decade, and most of my googling brings up services that seemed tailor-made to very stock products.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Jan 14, 2022

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

Claeaus posted:

Proko also has great tutorials on figure drawing and a bunch of the lessons are free: https://www.proko.com/course/figure-drawing-fundamentals/overview

Gonna second Proko. When I was vaguely interested in learning to draw, his lessons on figure drawing got me closer to approximating the human form than anything I ever did. That said, I was still just doing the absolute most basic of poo poo but it was recognizable as a human form :v:

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

So I want to give a shoutout to a local org near and dear to my heart and their online workshops if anybody might be interested.

ATX Book Arts Center is a makerspace devoted to all things involved in the book making and printing process along with some other tangentially related crafts like papermaking and leatherworking. I've taken several workshops both in person and online and had a lot of fun and learned cool stuff. You don't have to be in Austin since they also have online workshops. I've done one and it went very well and we had people from all over the US in the class. They send you a box with all the supplies needed for the specific projects beforehand and I found the class surprisingly easy to follow along. For someone like me who has zero crafting experience having a teacher to watch perform the work while being able to ask questions and interact was much more helpful than just watching a youtube video.

https://atxbookarts.org/workshops/

The workshops are 10% off until the 14th and they have some neat ones if you are interested in learning any of this. If you are in Austin their in-person letterpress workshop is awesome as they have some really cool presses and you get to do several types of printing projects. Also, if you are in Austin you can join as a member for $50/year and use the space whenever you want.

Anyway, I hope it's ok to post this but they are a non-profit here in town I am involved in and figured there might be some goons who would be interested.

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
Hey, it was brought up to me that people might like a place to dump assorted encouraging art/writing memes. That's a little bit more PYF's territory, but since it came up, I decided to see if that's something people would like

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Sitting Here posted:

Hey, it was brought up to me that people might like a place to dump assorted encouraging art/writing memes. That's a little bit more PYF's territory, but since it came up, I decided to see if that's something people would like

Yeah, I think it could be useful/interesting and it's nbd if it doesn't see use.

smashmyradio
May 1, 2021
Hey, I've been posting my paintings on instagram for years and I'm wondering what hashtags other people use for their art, and if there are any good accounts for featuring artwork that people have experience with. Is this a good place to chat about that?
I paint mostly cats and skeletons in space and stuff, and I think some of it would be appropriate for beautifulbizzare, so I sometimes put that hashtag "for a chance to be featured." Otherwise I'm not really sure anymore lol

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Is there a thread to discuss AI generated or procedural art generation? I've heard that AI generated art is getting "scarrily good" and I figure it might help cut down my time spent crawling through pinterest (shudder) for references if I'm just able to specify a prompt and get something "kinda good enough" to present to an artist as a reference. But I dunno what apps are actually good, the two I randomly googled seem to take a while to output an image and still got something that looks like a biblical accurate representation of an angel. I.e something horrific to look at.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Pyf procgen is good

I think there is one in gbs too. Ask for a midjourney invite.

for fucks sake
Jan 23, 2016

There's a good mostly text-based one in BYOB too which has its own lore now.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Cross posting here. Heads up that the link is a PDF and might seem sketchy. (I aught to convert it to a picture to share, but the template I worked from was a powerpoint so it became a PDF.)

---

Hey all, never ventured over here as a hopeless STEMlord with no strong natural creative talents - except, I guess, being a tabletop gamemaster.

I was hunting for an artist because we're nearing the end of a decent sized campaign and had a super cool moment that I'd love to capture - someone from Trad Games pointed me to this thread. I'm very not familiar with how 'getting art made' works - I could definitely provide either a description or super rough sketch of what I'm envisioning. I just would love to immortalize the moment in a way that would hopefully enrich the game and make some of the quieter players want to try more extreme and awesome stuff. I'd love to be able to work it into one of my in-universe newspapers that I make to report on the character's exploits. Have the picture be part of the headline story! For example: https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/951708354772877352/989269608496246874/The_Doskvol_Echo_-_Kalivet_56_847.pdf

If anyone is interested, I guess let me know? I googled this but didn't get really satisfactory results and prices were all over the place and I have no reference point for this sort of thing. I am absolutely willing to pay.

----

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
There's a freelancer thread I think as well you could try hitting up; also I've gotten plenty of artists via reddit, r/hungryartists and r/artcommissions!

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
I knew I forgot one! That is here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3527487

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme
Didn't know where else to post this other than here. The artist Kim Jung Gi passed away Monday at 47 from a sudden heart attack.

He was an amazing artist, and I just finished buying the last two sketch books I could find from him last week. He was a real inspiration for any artist and especially anyone who has drawn anything.

If you didn't know about him, or haven't checked his stuff out I would suggest you do. It will make your life that much richer.

https://twitter.com/StanProkopenko/status/1577666558779793409

https://twitter.com/KimJungGiUS/status/1575155237593108481?s=20&t=Kt7UrbCERgMDvWzB-kTAdg

https://twitter.com/MAIScnhyo/status/1577592107006451712?s=20&t=Kt7UrbCERgMDvWzB-kTAdg

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Hamelekim posted:

Didn't know where else to post this other than here. The artist Kim Jung Gi passed away Monday at 47 from a sudden heart attack.

He was an amazing artist, and I just finished buying the last two sketch books I could find from him last week. He was a real inspiration for any artist and especially anyone who has drawn anything.

If you didn't know about him, or haven't checked his stuff out I would suggest you do. It will make your life that much richer.

Incredibly sad. The way he drew was truly magical and inspiring. I'm grateful I got to see as much of it as I did.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Does anyone have some advice for well, I guess getting back on the creative train? I used to draw a lot but it's slowly dropped off through the years and I haven't done much other than the occasional ttrpg character portrait or something. I want to start drawing again but tbh I pick up a pencil and its like "man what do I even draw" lol.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Fanart or some sort of comic, or a prompt generator?

Or maybe see if there's like a online Drawful prompt generator and draw those but without the annoyance of the phone screen. :)

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Or order some Chinese and use the fortune cookie slip as a prompt (I can't stand one/two word prompt personally, I need an esoteric sentence). I'd pull one out of my pile for you but I'm at work.

Sorta related I'm having problems trying to get myself to stop fixating on the commercial viability of my work, any tips to mitigate this? It's getting in the way of my creativity because I am worrying about reproducibility, sturdiness, and feasibility and keep hopping from idea to idea instead of trying them and just having fun with it/seeing where they lead in actuality.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

Funny wildlife photos. Also, pictures of pro wrestling. You get practice drawing from life and the poses are more interesting than stock pose references.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

Another thing you could try to kick your creativity in gear is pick a media you have no experience in so there are no stakes. Just start from scratch trying it out. Give yourself slack and just learn a new way of making. I am trying this myself with digital art to break out of a creative slump.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Apparently bitching about it on the internet also works to some degree: I've decided to stop worrying about commercially sustainable sculpture and have been happily plotting out cross stitch patterns in photoshop for the past few hours instead, which also counts as a medium change. Off to find the pixel art megathread and eventually resurrect the embroidery thread once I have something to show.