Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
1.4.8.8 is in china apparently

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

exmachina posted:

Can you imagine somebody trying to patch the eldritch magic written by Carmack.

Carmack can't even imagine patching it I suspect.

"The Necronomicon posted:

code:

float Q_rsqrt( float number )
{
	long i;
	float x2, y;
	const float threehalfs = 1.5F;

x2 = number * 0.5F;
	y  = number;
	i  = * ( long * ) &y;						// evil floating point bit level hacking
	i  = 0x5f3759df - ( i >> 1 );               // what the gently caress?
	y  = * ( float * ) &i;
	y  = y * ( threehalfs - ( x2 * y * y ) );   // 1st iteration
//	y  = y * ( threehalfs - ( x2 * y * y ) );   // 2nd iteration, this can be removed

#ifndef Q3_VM
#ifdef __linux__
	assert( !isnan(y) ); // bk010122 - FPE?
#endif
#endif
	return y;
}

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

infernal machines posted:

that is a hell of a score. those laserjet 4s and 5s are still running to this day

e: getting pwned by leaving a postscript interpreter open to the internet is a funny thought though

I read an early 21st century internet folklore about a northeast liberal arts college student who wrote a postscript resident program on the college printers to blackbar censor commonly used academic jargon (‘hegemony’, ‘liminal’, etc) during finals week

I haven’t been able to find it again.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

in a well actually posted:

I read an early 21st century internet folklore about a northeast liberal arts college student who wrote a postscript resident program on the college printers to blackbar censor commonly used academic jargon (‘hegemony’, ‘liminal’, etc) during finals week

I haven’t been able to find it again.

:stonk:

This sounds like someone who would turn into weev

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
ipv5 should have just added a single bit to ipv4. ipv6 should have added 2 bits. etc etc

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
bytes, maybe. would go well with MAC

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

redleader posted:

ipv5 should have just added a single bit to ipv4. ipv6 should have added 2 bits. etc etc

The "gently caress we're out of space again aren't we" leading bits. The UTF-8 of IP.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
these "light duty" addresses are gettin outta hand

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

brains posted:

when no one was looking, ipv6 took 128 bits. it took 128 bits. that's as many as four ipv4s. and that's terrible.

Security Fuckup 18.17: IPv6 took 128 bits. That's as many as four IPv4s, and that's terrible.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

infernal machines posted:

that is a hell of a score. those laserjet 4s and 5s are still running to this day

they're not, because nobody ever replaced the rollers or belts and they've all perished

the whole SHSC laserjet thing was just the last few years of their useful lives

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
it's all just getting a brother laser now either a $99 b&w which is 100% perfect or maybe a color mfc laser the choice is yours

tho im glad epson finally started doing tank systems OEM that was unexpected. Thanks Shaq.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

~Coxy posted:

they're not, because nobody ever replaced the rollers or belts and they've all perished

the whole SHSC laserjet thing was just the last few years of their useful lives

i mean, i have a client where there are still laserjet 4p in use, but okay.

and yes, the main wear part is the rollers and just keeping them clean is basically all the maintenance they need

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Zamujasa posted:

bytes, maybe. would go well with MAC

i said bits and by god i meant bits

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

start removing bits from ipv4 to force the internet to be less clogged up with morons

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden
me, a software developer: lets test this installer I made and try to run the installed application
you, a “security professional”: no let’s have this loving tool remove the .exe and put it into “quarantine” and not leave a sign of what has happened other than the void left by the .exe

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

zokie posted:

me, a software developer: lets test this installer I made and try to run the installed application
you, a “security professional”: no let’s have this loving tool remove the .exe and put it into “quarantine” and not leave a sign of what has happened other than the void left by the .exe

i guess your installer failed the test of not looking like a super suspicious binary

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

4lokos basilisk posted:

i guess your installer failed the test of not looking like a super suspicious binary

security software: everything not in my allowlist and therefor suspicious!

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Kazinsal posted:

start removing bits from ipv4 to force the internet to be less clogged up with morons

feel free to log off

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

quick question re yubikeys: if i've hooked up a bunch of poo poo to a yubikey with an unset FIDO2 PIN and then set a PIN will that break the existing associations?

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006

Pile Of Garbage posted:

quick question re yubikeys: if i've hooked up a bunch of poo poo to a yubikey with an unset FIDO2 PIN and then set a PIN will that break the existing associations?

it's complicated, I will set it for you and then Skype it securely to your Inbox.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Pile Of Garbage posted:

idk but please report the answer back to the class when you find out

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

the pin verify requirement is dictated by the webauthn sp so suddenly im beholden to this and yet i am the dingus!?

i mean i am the dingus

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006
we are going to have to do the dns sec ceremony of the keys

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006

Chris Knight posted:

1.4.8.8 is in china apparently

:grin:

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

crime on a dime i'm going to gently caress you up by getting you transferred to my team and make you do this insane IRAP assessment stuff with me can you handle 800 security controls!?!?

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006

Pile Of Garbage posted:

crime on a dime i'm going to gently caress you up by getting you transferred to my team and make you do this insane IRAP assessment stuff with me can you handle 800 security controls!?!?

:coolfish:

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006
Neo: Mom?

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

I know its impossible because its too ubiquitous but they should have just revoked 192.168.0.0/16 and 172.16.0.0/12 as private address space and left 10.0.0.0/8 as the only option since you can just subnet it down to whatever minuscule size you need

then claw back anything larger than like a /30 from basically everyone (who the gently caress needs more than 1 public ip per physical location, you should be running all your poo poo through a reverse proxy anyways), that would have made a big difference

tack on 2 bits per octet and boom you got 1024.1024.1024.1024 IP addresses at the cost of only one more byte per packet. yeah it'll break every embedded device ever that relies on hyper specific ASICs that expect the frame to have 4 byte addresses but guess what so did ipv6

this post is only like 50% ironic

mystes
May 31, 2006

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG posted:

I know its impossible because its too ubiquitous but they should have just revoked 192.168.0.0/16 and 172.16.0.0/12 as private address space and left 10.0.0.0/8 as the only option since you can just subnet it down to whatever minuscule size you need

then claw back anything larger than like a /30 from basically everyone (who the gently caress needs more than 1 public ip per physical location, you should be running all your poo poo through a reverse proxy anyways), that would have made a big difference

tack on 2 bits per octet and boom you got 1024.1024.1024.1024 IP addresses at the cost of only one more byte per packet. yeah it'll break every embedded device ever that relies on hyper specific ASICs that expect the frame to have 4 byte addresses but guess what so did ipv6

this post is only like 50% ironic
If they're going to break everything anyway, how about if they just tacked on a whole bunch more bytes so we don't have to worry about running out?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

mystes posted:

If they're going to break everything anyway, how about if they just tacked on a whole bunch more bytes so we don't have to worry about running out?

Yeah. you ever get mad in factorio/dsp/whatever and throw down a giant layout for one little component so you never have to worry about that little thing again?

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

thats sorta the joke but really ipv6 is just absolute massive massive overkill. its what happens when you let engineers run amok, they could have made a sensible, easy to read/understand solution but instead we get b00b:dead:beef and enough ip addresses so every atom on the planet is globally routable

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

like do the 1024.1024.1024.1024 thing and its perfectly readable and you still get 1e12 addresses and hell throw an extra header in the packet for a unique internal identifier set/maintained by the router so you can also kill NAT at the same time

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.

fun fact: every single PC in a PC cafe in Korea has a public IP address.

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

certainly seems reasonable and necessary

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

zokie posted:

when Vista came out we had a hell of a time because one of our executables has "updater" in the name (and trickier, the metadata) so it wouldn't run without elevating

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

thats sorta the joke but really ipv6 is just absolute massive massive overkill. its what happens when you let engineers run amok, they could have made a sensible, easy to read/understand solution but instead we get b00b:dead:beef and enough ip addresses so every atom on the planet is globally routable

there’s only 1038 ipv6 addresses but 1050 atoms on earth. so it’s not even a planetary unique id! there are roughly 1080 protons in the observable universe.

really if you think about it ipv6 addresses can’t be universally unique so they should be extended. 256bits gets us to 1077 but there’s roughly 1085 particles in the observable universe and that means that there’s no room for any parallel universes.

let’s just jump to using 1024 bit certificates for routing

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
The big upside to having extra bits is that you can do structural routing instead of having a big routing table with individual mappings for every address.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

hobbesmaster posted:

let’s just jump to using 1024 bit certificates for routing

buddy let me tell you about blockchain

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

if we're gonna break everything, we might as well get rid of tcp and udp

add addressing to sctp and move it to the same layer as ip

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

git apologist