Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

fritz posted:

who's his fragmaster

we'll have to see who speaks on his behalf after he bores a hole into the great unknown

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Ariong posted:

So, what’s the thought process here? Has he fully given up on the company ever being profitable and is now settling for the applause right-wing nutjobs are giving him as he burns it down?

every part of his plan to make Twitter profitable again has fallen apart. fixing any of it would require changing his behavior, something he is absolutely not going to do no matter what

so instead he's going to take a ton of drugs and post through it while internet weirdos and his weirdo acquaintances bombard him with praise

advertisers are jumping ship en masse because he won't shut the gently caress up. paid checkmarks and other subscription stuff are on hold indefinitely. he tried slashing payroll, and now Twitter is desperately trying to hire everyone back even as Elon wrecks working conditions for those who remain

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Kafouille posted:

My current mental state right now is :

I have no idea if I'm disappearing up my own rear end, but the more I look the more I'm sure he's at the center of that thing and I have to yell into the void about it.
<...>
It's even simpler than that: In the early days of the Trumq admin, Thiel and his accelerationist friends tried to worm their way in and the rest of the Republican establishment went "nah that's too extreme even for us". I'd have to go back and listen to the QAA episode to give you names, but that's quite a high bar for insanity.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

https://twitter.com/MichaelEHayden/status/1599188801011998721

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

:goatsecx:
:metis:

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
lol sounds like they're disappointed in the reveal being completely nothing and need someone else to shitsmith

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !

Shumagorath posted:

It's even simpler than that: In the early days of the Trumq admin, Thiel and his accelerationist friends tried to worm their way in and the rest of the Republican establishment went "nah that's too extreme even for us". I'd have to go back and listen to the QAA episode to give you names, but that's quite a high bar for insanity.

I mean yeah that's in line with him supporting people that are trying to outflank Trump and all and eat the old GOP.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Twitter is going in and out of service for me right now. :allears:

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

FlapYoJacks posted:

Twitter is going in and out of service for me right now. :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dRG5X3vyxg

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
I hope Musk swallows a razor blade by accident

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1599205091294052352

lol sure they did

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
thank you giant hog

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

all my advertisers are laughing with me, just out of frame

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Beeftweeter posted:

thank you giant hog
30-50 fictional advertisers

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I'm assuming he's thanking himself for advertising SpaceX

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

Improbable Lobster posted:

I hope Musk swallows a razor blade by accident

i hope all his hair plugs spontaneously pop out of his head

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

DuckConference posted:

elon is the dickless guy from ghostbusters
Stantz: Everything was fine until our social network was bought by fuckless here.

Elon: They're infected with the woke mind virus!

SEC Chair: Is this true?

Venkman: Yes, it's true. This man can't gently caress.

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

starting to think the amazon corporation might not always act in a moral manner

https://twitter.com/ZoeSchiffer/status/1599222526689046528

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

boo, i was hoping for a slowly bleeding twitter to just peter out and die.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Eeyo posted:

He has to make at least a billion in liquid cash a year to cover interest on the loans

Chill Monster
Apr 23, 2014
Amazon’s lovely contribution helps pay about 1 month of the estimated debt service payments per year. Unless Muskyshits liquidates a bunch of his Tesla stock to cover the debt, Twitter is just going to sink deeper and deeper.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Shifty Pony posted:

isn't that pretty drat low considering there won't be any stock grants?

according to levels.fyi staff was $550k and senior staff was $680k before musk took over

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Looking for that "passion" discount while the new car smell is still there I guess

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

Jose Valasquez posted:

according to levels.fyi staff was $550k and senior staff was $680k before musk took over

lmao what a stingy little poo poo

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Roosevelt posted:

lmao what a stingy little poo poo

he's used to getting away with poo poo compensation because he's built Tesla into a cult and people are willing to work at SpaceX for cheap to be part of cool space poo poo.

also he's convinced he is the smartest bestest boy and having the privilege of working for him is payment enough.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Eeyo posted:

it's unlikely that Twitter can fully restore its previous revenue this way. among other things, Twitter is selling these ads at a massive discount

https://twitter.com/ZoeSchiffer/status/1598371913364959233

amazon is getting twice as many ads for their money as they would have pre-Musk

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Main Paineframe posted:

amazon is getting twice as many ads for their money as they would have pre-Musk

I didn't even realize amazon stocked nazi "desk ornaments"

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

come on down to the bogo boer and emporium buy an ad get an ad free please buy an ad even just one I'll view it myself for you

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Trump-rear end 100% matching bullshit.

ELON HAS PERSONALLY SELECTED YOU AS AN ULTRAMAGA PATRIOT MemeLordBonerWizard69! ACT NOW FOR YOUR 600% AD BONUS

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

lol

https://twitter.com/igb/status/1599259797404389382

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

the replies “well he found better engineers to make spaces clearly :smug:

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Luigi Thirty posted:

the replies “well he found better engineers to make spaces clearly :smug:
seriously, there is still just zero comprehension about the value of engineers like this, especially with proven track records

like, it's absolutely the case that if this team were a startup looking for an aqui-hire they'd be easily scooped up for 1 mil per at the very least under "normal circumstances", and that Elon just threw all that away

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

infernal machines posted:

you live in england. they don't even pay you with dollars

yeah that makes it worse with the current exchange rate tbh

Shumagorath posted:

30-50 fictional advertisers

lol

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

from the cspam thread

:jerkbag:

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
i feel like Lonny is edging and it makes me feel dirty to watch

and can't look away

mars shot incoming

DominoKitten
Aug 7, 2012

good god he could not be any more divorced, “ugh what is my ex wife on about NOW”

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

Kafouille posted:

I don't think Elon himself has much of a plan anymore, but I'm more and more convinced that this whole thing is Thiel's idea.
I mean look at what Yarvin aka Mencius Moldbug, who is long term Thiel associate and an a big architect of the New Right was writing back in April :

https://compactmag.com/article/elon-musk-s-twitter-revolution

And tell me that's not a loving blueprint of what Elon's been spouting.

I mean I like to laff at Elon and poo poo but all of this is deeply concerning.

unfortunately (for me), i read all of that yarvin article and i have to say its a load of hn level naive bullshit (at best) or just throwing some nice words out there to help carry water for lovely politics (at worst).

galaxy brain ideas like "well twitter as a monopoly should just start it's own fact checking service" and "we could allow people to toggle on/off in settings whether they want to see hate speech or not" next to pearls like "speech is not action" and "twitter is not obliged to do any moderation on their platform at all". this guy appears to exist in some alternative reality where we 100% accurate objective content tagging is a solved problem and beep boop we can just have twitter decide what's true or not and people will be free to just click "remove" on any objectonable material themselves, so everyone has an experience they like

he's either stupid or willfully ignorant of the problems twitter and social media content moderation in general has. im going with willfully ignorant, considering that his other stuff is basically trying to sell some neo-feudalism where everyone has to suck up to their favorite tech fascist billionaire and well this is just the best possible political system, just look at how well elon is doing

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !
To be clear, I am not concerned because I thought the article as described would actually work, I'm concerned because it shows who Elon is listening to.

I'm fairly sure Yarvin knows perfectly well how trying to implement that poo poo would go, fash using the cover of free speech to spread their message predates the Nazis, poo poo the leading antisemitic French newspaper during the Dreyfus affair was literally named La Libre Parole. The goal is chaos and controversy, not debate me bro.

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

yeah

i do think the point of people like yarvin is to flesh out at least some semblance of philosophy to convince and attract followers but yeah this is quite dumb

and hey wasnt yarvin behind urbit which is a super fart huffing crypto project?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

cousin has a friend who's wife works at twitter. got to speak with this woman in person yesterday and asked what was up and why she stayed. the gist of it for her staying was she has no kids and is willing to risk it and maybe get rewarded. also doesn't want to look for a job in this market, and she thinks elon is smart. she's in ads and has already closed a 19M deal for next year with a fashion brand which i was genuinely surprised about.

her manager took the severance. i told her if she had a good relationship with them to talk about why they left.