Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

well why not posted:

That was the superbowl! I'm not even American and I knew that!

I don't watch or care for football. I only watch the NBA every now and then, and any major tennis event. I guess I'm weird. Lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

CelticPredator posted:

He did a kickass haunted house at universal this past Halloween

Yeah it was surprisingly good. In the top 3 of this year, definitely.

Anyway, I'm a pop culture goober who doesn't know Taylor Swift from a Swiffer duster and yet, I know the guy, so that's pretty interesting teagone doesn't. Weird experiences, like how I didn't see the Godfather until my mid-30s.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Dec 5, 2022

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
I'm An Old, don't watch TV and only listen to a 70s-90s radio station, so I also couldn't pick The Weeknd or Taylor Swift out of a lineup. I do, however, know who James Cameron is, so there's that, at least.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I would recommend trying to find new music because it's still out there being made and still very good. Don't become trapped in the past like that.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Grendels Dad posted:

Strongly reminded of goons from the wrestling threads losing their minds over other goons not knowing who Bad Bunny is.

lmfao aint no way

E: anyway The Weeknd rules, and I'm excited to hear the song at the end credits.

The REAL Goobusters fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Dec 5, 2022

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

teagone posted:

My only knowledge of him before yesterday was seeing memes of him looking lost during a performance from around last year I think? Or maybe the year before? I dunno, and then the one twitter account that only posts the video of Daniel Craig saying it's "the weekend" lmao.

Wait a minute. You haven't seen Uncut Gems? He had a pretty big part in that movie.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I would recommend trying to find new music because it's still out there being made and still very good. Don't become trapped in the past like that.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Darko posted:

Wait a minute. You haven't seen Uncut Gems? He had a pretty big part in that movie.

OH poo poo, I just remembered lol. I thought he was just a character for the movie, lmao.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

teagone posted:

OH poo poo, I just remembered lol. I thought he was just a character for the movie, lmao.

drat it's 'The Gronk' all over again.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

teagone posted:

I'm glad we're getting to the bottom of this.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Snowman_McK posted:

drat it's 'The Gronk' all over again.

I'm revealing just how out of touch I am with mainstream pop culture I guess, because I also don't know what 'The Gronk' is lol. I'm just in my own little pop culture bubble seems like.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

teagone posted:

I'm revealing just how out of touch I am with mainstream pop culture I guess, because I also don't know what 'The Gronk' is lol. I'm just in my own little pop culture bubble seems like.

https://twitter.com/Grosdoriane/status/1235359816236838912?s=20&t=W1XyMYDyF-YPK8ENRNGfGA

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Tom Guycot posted:

I looked into this a ton and this is what seems to be basically the case:

1) IMAX single laser - full image, largest screen, 4k HFR (the high frame rate), bright (IMAX dual laser apparently doesn't support HFR? The dual laser ones though are really only found at the legacy like, 100' screen IMAXes). They are a lot more rare to find and most IMAX are still standard IMAX digital.

2) Dolby 3d - Brighter than imax laser, better seats and audio, HFR, 4k, better contrast than IMAX laser, but cropped image and smaller screen.

3) IMAX digital 3D- these are the older IMAX that are only 2k and less bright than the lasers, and i believe don't' support the HFR. Still a large screen, but not the brightness or quality of the dolby and IMAX laser systems.

4) Your standard RealD 3D or whatever at that point.

Laser IMAX should be specifically marked as "IMAX Laser" if it doesn't say laser anywhere its most likely the older and more common IMAX digital. For reference this is how AMC theaters label them:

All dolby cinemas are the good dual laser systems so if you see dolby its guaranteed to be a good one, no guesswork.

Also if you are extremely lucky you may be near one of the incredibly few (only 2 in the whole US) Samsung LED theaters, that are literally just a giant theater screen sized LED wall, no projection, that are supposed to just have phenomenal image quality, contrast, HDR, and great bright 3D.

Thanks for the info! I completely forgot to compare formats before buying tickets. Looks like I can choose between RealD 3D or IMAX 3D HFR. I chose the realD 3D theater…but wondering how the HFR stuff will look.

Everyone hated it with the Hobbit movie, right? Is Cameron pushing for the same 42fps, or going full video game 60fps?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Nuts and Gum posted:

Thanks for the info! I completely forgot to compare formats before buying tickets. Looks like I can choose between RealD 3D or IMAX 3D HFR. I chose the realD 3D theater…but wondering how the HFR stuff will look.

Everyone hated it with the Hobbit movie, right? Is Cameron pushing for the same 42fps, or going full video game 60fps?

Only certain scenes (I believe mostly underwater sequences, maybe some flying stuff too) were shot in HFR, and Cameron went with 48 FPS. The rest of the film will be 24 FPS. You should definitely see it in IMAX 3D HFR, though.

[edit] From what I read/heard on some twitch streams I watch (unrelated to flim, they're just gamers who were talking about the movie after seeing some preview footage in a Dolby theater), an example of the film shifting from 24 to 48 FPS and vice versa happened when a na'vi character/characters are on land and jump into the water. Once they're underwater, it becomes 48 FPS. When they swam back up and came out of the water, the film shifted back to 24 FPS. Their reaction was largely positive to the effect during the sequences they saw.

teagone fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Dec 6, 2022

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Nuts and Gum posted:

I would personally choose the IMAX, as even with the older digital IMAX theaters you get the full uncropped image and a better experience than the RealD theaters. Also Cameron is doing something different for avatar compared to the hobbit. The film was shot in 48fps, but they're just doubling frames for most of it so its at a normal 24fps, and only keeping the full 48fps during action scenes so it mitigates some of the choppiness in 3d but doesn't make everything look weird.

I have no idea how that will look in practice but thats the idea anyways.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

I forget which interview it was, but Cameron had said he's a huge proponent of HFR being viewed as a tool, not a medium (i.e., whole features shouldn't be shot in HFR akin to The Hobbit or Gemini Man), for filmmakers to use when directing action in stereo 3D.

[edit Found it, it was in an interview from 2016

James Cameron posted:

I think [high frame rates] is a tool, not a format. I think it’s something you want to weave in and out and use it when it soothes the eye, especially in 3D during panning, movements that [create] artifacts that I find very bothersome. I want to get rid of that stuff, and you can do it through high frame rates.

In terms of that kind of hyper clarity, there may be some films that benefit from it. But I feel you still have to have a little bit of that veil of unreality that comes with [today’s commonly used] 24 frames per second. This is my conclusion now. I don’t think you do it wall-to-wall, I think you do it where you need it.

From here: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/james-cameron-promises-innovation-avatar-sequels-as-hes-feted-by-engineers-942305/

Cameron is a pioneer when it comes to the modern take on filming in stereo 3D, so I'd consider his philosophy on when/where to apply HFR in a feature film as gospel tbh, lmao.

teagone fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Dec 6, 2022

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
first impressions seem to be hitting the net from the world premiere. appears to be incredibly positive.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

:sickos:

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

https://twitter.com/davidehrlich/status/1600263865882722304

https://twitter.com/davidehrlich/status/1600265313412476928

Legit sources are going bonkers.

dammit.

Son of a bitch.

Now I have to go see goddam Avatar. James Cameron I just can't quit you.

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

I, too, want to vicariously butcher the colonizers.
https://twitter.com/davidlsims/status/1600270249319976977

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
there's still time for all you fence-sitters to put it all on blue and bet on jim

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
I can tell which theaters will have the HFR or not. Or maybe none around me will. Though I did see Gemini Man in HFR here, so why not Jim.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Let’s loving goooo.

I see you, James Cameron.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

kiimo posted:

James Cameron I just can't quit you.

:getin::sickos:

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

checkplease posted:

I can tell which theaters will have the HFR or not. Or maybe none around me will. Though I did see Gemini Man in HFR here, so why not Jim.

Any AMC equipped with a Dolby Cinema should be able to display HFR. Or any IMAX single laser theater. [edit] As an aside, there are no single laser IMAX theaters in Illinois.

teagone fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Dec 7, 2022

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Horizon Burning posted:

there's still time for all you fence-sitters to put it all on blue and bet on jim

TRUE!

There is still time

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

When you bet on Jim

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

The REAL Goobusters posted:

TRUE!

There is still time

NO

https://twitter.com/fellawhomstdve/status/1600316299527102464

Doubters must be shamed forever.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Sure, the people tweeting from the premiere said it was great, but did anyone stop to think maybe Jim just rescued all of their parents from kidnappers as well?

Food for thought.

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

checkplease posted:

AMC theaters don't seem to list HFR in their description, but Regal theaters do.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

pyrotek posted:

AMC theaters don't seem to list HFR in their description, but Regal theaters do.

The fandango iOS app has been showing me which theaters have what. Hoping it’s accurate!

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

pyrotek posted:

Its really hard to figure all this out with all the formats now. I went back to check some of it, and the only one you can say for certain without any qualifier as having HFR guaranteed are the dolby cinemas. So any Dolby one at AMC will support HFR too. Most likely any IMAX at an AMC will also support HFR, as looking into it again, the IMAX laser (single) and the legacy IMAX digital both do HFR, its only the Dual laser systems that don't (well technically they can, but only at a reduced 2k resolution which they won't run it at i guess?), but the Dual laser systems are very rare.

You can have a look here for IMAX theaters, and see just how rare the laser, let alone dual laser ones: https://lfexaminer.com/theaters/

RealD 3D, your standard multiplex 3D, is the tough one to figure out and I wasn't able to find a definitive answer for if they all not only support HFR, will show it in HFR, or if there are different types of RealD systems that won't.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Tom Guycot posted:

the legacy IMAX digital both do HFR

Oh boy, the IMAX I'm going to has a 70 ft screen and if it's indeed capable of displaying HFR... :gizz:

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019

the launch window has closed. we depart for pandora. heresy has weighed down the feet of the heretics and they have been left behind. praise jim.

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

whales subtitled in papyrus . . .?

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

I wonder where the ponytail USB port is on a Pandoran whale.

Kart Barfunkel fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Dec 7, 2022

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Stored safely in the 2nd blowhole

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Papyrus is the name of the Avatar font, didn’t you guys see that amazing SNL sketch about it?

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
My avatar story: I forgot that the Navi were twelve feet tall when we spent so much time with them and no humans for scale, so when they have the big fight scene I was like "what the hell are they going to do against human machines and vehicles"

And then the arrow flew through the helicopter canopy and I was like "oh riiiight"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Gresh posted:

whales subtitled in papyrus . . .?