Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Fumble posted:

First they came for the everest thread and i did nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005
Hey do you want that motherboard?

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
“Ugh but the US is bad too!” is such a weiner defense

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
forget the US its the unamed nation that we should worry about.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
the line these days is that obviously tiananmen did happen but they didn't even run the guy over :rolleyes:

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯
Autosinophilia

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Herstory Begins Now posted:

the line these days is that obviously tiananmen did happen but they didn't even run the guy over :rolleyes:

"The unarmed students were counterrevolutionaries and thus had it coming."

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

I’ve seen this a dozen times and still makes me angry every time

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
some peeps use liquor to dissociate, some peeps weeb about foreign countries

default country to weeb about is japan itself but some peeps miss by a few hundred miles

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

bob dobbs is dead posted:

some peeps use liquor to dissociate, some peeps weeb about foreign countries

default country to weeb about is japan itself but some peeps miss by a few hundred miles
too bad they don’t land in the sea like a DPRK missile test

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

thetoughestbean posted:

“Ugh but the US is bad too!” is such a weiner defense

I see you read the CSPAM China thread as well.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.
Late to the party, but some general info:

If you need to bail on China without documents, your best bet is to go west until you hit Kunming, then south until you hit Jinghong in Xishuangbanna, then switch to transport that doesn't need ID (small buses, taxis) until you get near the Laos border.
Then you need to find a way to follow the huge numbers of migrant workers who sneak across the border all the time. On the bright side, a lot less attention is paid to China->Laos travel than the reverse.
Once in Laos, no-one gives a poo poo about anything. Use Yuan or dollars or whatever to get to an embassy, or try to get into Thailand or something.
Obviously if you try to do that with children people are going to assume the worst though.

About house ownership:
It is legit difficult to get foreigners on the title of houses in China. Possible, sure, since I did it, but it involved me getting a notarised Chinese name and some other stuff that probably varies by region. In a happy marriage, nbd. In an unhappy marriage, don't buy a house in China. And either way, don't rely on it as an asset, because even without marital betrayal, hilarious things happen with property (markets) in China.

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012
i guess i have a hard time believing “help im somewhere within 3 hours driving distance of changsha” and literally not being able to pinpoint it more than that lol. on your 3rd visit to this place too. does the dude really have that little interest in the world around him that hes never bothered checking where hes been going all those times? it makes no sense at all to me

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Wonton posted:

i guess i have a hard time believing “help im somewhere within 3 hours driving distance of changsha” and literally not being able to pinpoint it more than that lol. on your 3rd visit to this place too. does the dude really have that little interest in the world around him that hes never bothered checking where hes been going all those times? it makes no sense at all to me

from my knowledge of the 5 or 6 other cases ive encountered and or dealt with, i could and did believe it instantly

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012
Charcoal burning is a very fun Chinese experience. Just ignore the warning signs when you buy a bag of charcoal. Please close your windows and doors, and burn a bag of charcoal when you fall asleep! It helps you relax and sleep forever and is a very time honored tradition

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012
usually it's incense burning to ward bad spirits and mosquitoes

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

Things to do in Changsha When You're Emotionally Dead

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

bob dobbs is dead posted:

from my knowledge of the 5 or 6 other cases ive encountered and or dealt with, i could and did believe it instantly

In the words of some expat bar dude that initially offended me but later surprised me with their near-universal truth:

"What's up with you, then? Normal people don't come to China."

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk

Wonton posted:

Third time in the country. First time in that town and apartment.

And he is mentally incapable of breaking rules (which means he feels it is not an option to use a VPN since that is against the rules in China).
Like, I'm fairly certain he'd be severely tempted to retake his driver's license if he ever got a parking ticket.

Emotionally dead is sort of correct and sort of not.
Dude definitely has waves of emotions. But his father and his father's father basically taught him that emotions can only be handled by putting a lid on them and analyzing them clinically after the moment has passed.

SerthVarnee fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Feb 27, 2023

enigma74
Aug 5, 2005
a lean lobster who probably doesn't even taste good.

SerthVarnee posted:

Third time in the country. First time in that town and apartment.

And he is mentally incapable of breaking rules.
Like, I'm fairly certain he'd be severely tempted to retake his driver's license if he ever got a parking ticket.

Emotionally dead is sort of correct and sort of not.
Dude definitely has waves of emotions. But his father and his father's father basically taught him that emotions can only be handled by putting a lid on them and analyzing them clinically after the moment has passed.

Read the situation about your brother and I'm sorry to hear this is happening. Can't imagine the stress levels, but I'm sure the stress ruins your ability to function. It's not looking good, and you might have to make peace with the fact that one or both of your nephew(nieces?) are not going to be a part of your family anymore. Your sister in law pulled a fait accompli kidnapping and your brother's head is still spinning, I think. The best outcome is that they all come home after a month anyways, and your brother was worried for nothing.

By the way, how does your sister in law plan to support herself and her children without your brother's income, even if the house is already paid for? I assume he's the main breadwinner since he was complaining about access to work.

Mr. Sunshine
May 15, 2008

This is a scrunt that has been in space too long and become a Lunt (Long Scrunt)

Fun Shoe
Stuck in a foreign country with an abusive spouse and young children? You know who can help with this?
The Pig Balls Website.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

Big Super Slapstick Hunk
I'm fairly certain her thinking and planning ended at "get back to China, back to the parents, all will be as it was a decade ago when she left the country".

She is having a little bit of a mental breakdown due to coming home to reality and knowing her biggest rock of support is a dude with terminal engineer brain.
Well, physicist/chemist brain. Super smart at what he does, loving USELESS at everything else.

On the plus side, the help I've managed to provide him with the aid of you fine folks, seems to have gotten him stabilized enough to be able to deal with the crisis.
He went from fearing for his own life a few times per day to feeling that this crisis has blown over and the next one will be when its time to choose to either stay or board the plane on time.
So thank you guys once again for all you've done for me and my stupid, emotionally crippled family.

The father in law has been bedridden for the last two years and according to the doctors, he should expect it to stay that way for the remainder of his likely short life.
Yesterday my brother send us a message telling us that his kids have been such a positive influence on the in-laws that the father in-law has managed to get out of bed, get out of the apartment to go for a walk supported by his cane and the kids, and then managed to prop himself up against a wall so he could play ball with the kids.

This is obviously wonderful news and I'm dead loving certain its going to be used as a reason for why the wife cannot allow herself or the kids to leave the parents in law behind at this time.
But whatever, not my life to live and I'll take the good news as I can get it.
I lost 7 people in 14 months in 2021-2022. I'm not adding my brother to that list if I can help it.
But past that point? Dude made his own choices and gets to live with his own consequences.

BrassRoots
Jan 9, 2012

You can play a shoestring if you're sincere - John Coltrane
Let me play devils advocate here:

Maybe his wife is pissed because he is useless and not a great communicator.

He should now tell her that yes, the whole family should move back to china. He can quit his job and they can all live there. He can then proceed to drink baiju amd sleep on the couch.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

Big Super Slapstick Hunk

BrassRoots posted:

Maybe his wife is pissed because he is useless and not a great communicator.

This part is spot on.

He is great at earning money.
His solution to any emotional crisis is to earn enough money for her to be able to deal with this crisis on behalf of the whole family.
Somehow, and I am dead certain it isn't his accomplishment here, the kids have turned out to be the most wonderful, joy filled and loving kids I've ever seen.

The in-laws are also very friendly people who are currently really confused and frustrated by the cold war going on between my brother and his wife.

She has a lot of very legit grievances with my brother and he is just not built to deal with them.
I expect them to get a divorce or at the very least to end up living separately.
I just don't want to see any of them physically hurt, I want them to get through this or get done with this in as amicable a way as possible and then I want to be able to tell my brother to his face that he never gets to call me a waste of society's resources ever again.

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012
Him fearing his own life?

Man no wonder his wife is pissed off. Not only is he not fixing problems, his ineptitude is creating new ones.

Talk about marrying the wrong person. How loving emotionally stunted do you have to be?

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

Someone who has difficulty processing emotions / emotional outbursts plus a worshipful regard for rules and procedure is the absolute worst candidate for visiting China. It was never going to end well, the only question was exactly what would happen.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Wonton posted:

Charcoal burning is a very fun Chinese experience. Just ignore the warning signs when you buy a bag of charcoal. Please close your windows and doors, and burn a bag of charcoal when you fall asleep! It helps you relax and sleep forever and is a very time honored tradition

This literally just happened, I think it was my wife's cousin? But I don't remember exactly. What I remember is being like "well that's sad but....you know..."

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012

SerthVarnee posted:

I lost 7 people in 14 months in 2021-2022. I'm not adding my brother to that list if I can help it.
But past that point? Dude made his own choices and gets to live with his own consequences.

8 is a very good auspicious number in Chinese culture. Maybe 2023 can make #8 happen?

If your sister in laws and their kids stay in China forever and your brother “takes a rest” does that mean you are the sole beneficiary of his estate?

You can spend his life savings for his sake. Instead of an expensive rare wood coffin, card board boxes is the environmentally friendly option!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012

Atopian posted:

Late to the party, but some general info:

If you need to bail on China without documents, your best bet is to go west until you hit Kunming, then south until you hit Jinghong in Xishuangbanna, then switch to transport that doesn't need ID (small buses, taxis) until you get near the Laos border.
Then you need to find a way to follow the huge numbers of migrant workers who sneak across the border all the time. On the bright side, a lot less attention is paid to China->Laos travel than the reverse.
Once in Laos, no-one gives a poo poo about anything. Use Yuan or dollars or whatever to get to an embassy, or try to get into Thailand or something.
Obviously if you try to do that with children people are going to assume the worst though.

About house ownership:
It is legit difficult to get foreigners on the title of houses in China. Possible, sure, since I did it, but it involved me getting a notarised Chinese name and some other stuff that probably varies by region. In a happy marriage, nbd. In an unhappy marriage, don't buy a house in China. And either way, don't rely on it as an asset, because even without marital betrayal, hilarious things happen with property (markets) in China.

Sage advice

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
I hope once the divorce dust settles your brother is able to get some therapy and crack open the egg of his mind and pull a whole-rear end person out of there. Bc right now he just sounds like a machine designed to destroy relationships.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

Big Super Slapstick Hunk

Wonton posted:

8 is a very good auspicious number in Chinese culture. Maybe 2023 can make #8 happen?

If your sister in laws and their kids stay in China forever and your brother “takes a rest” does that mean you are the sole beneficiary of his estate?

You can spend his life savings for his sake. Instead of an expensive rare wood coffin, card board boxes is the environmentally friendly option!

At what point during this conversation, did it feel like a good idea to joke about the potential death of my brother after I told you that I've had 7 people die during the last two years?
I recognize you were joking, I just felt the need to point out that you failed to read the room entirely and your joke fell flat.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

SerthVarnee posted:

I want to be able to tell my brother to his face that he never gets to call me a waste of society's resources ever again.

:stare:

Yeah, I sure hope he fuckin' appreciates what you're doing for him after he's told you that, apparently repeatedly.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

Big Super Slapstick Hunk
Siblings can be a source of infinite strife when kids grow up.
I'm quite certain I was being a dick to him in general as a kid too.

But yeah...His wife has improved his personality a LOT over the years.

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012
gweilo of all time

leave brother in china, bring wife and kids back, everything will be better

you should let him know that vpns are perfectly legal in china for "foreign business" use, that many companies use vpns to do business internationally

in fact the rules in china both exist and do not exist at the same time

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

Big Super Slapstick Hunk
Oh that is very good to know, Thanks a bunch!

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012
Get a global roaming plan, that way he won’t need a vpn.

to be a rules stickler, foreign businesses or domestic need a license for a VPN, and VPNs can’t be used for regular web traffic.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Booty Pageant posted:

gweilo of all time

leave brother in china, bring wife and kids back, everything will be better

:sushiyes:

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
just saw a video about china building pig farm towers....

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

If Warcraft 2 taught me anything, you need to build pig farms and towers separately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

busalover
Sep 12, 2020

Ups_rail posted:

just saw a video about china building pig farm towers....

I doubt the treatment can get much worse than it already is