Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

I played the A-Train game on the Switch ( https://www.nintendo.com/store/products/a-train-all-aboard-tourism-switch/ ) and it's pretty fun if you like those kind of games.

EDIT: Train snipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

So I never actually played A-Train back in the day and now all I can think when I see it is that it looks like Transport Tycoon Deluxe minus all the other modes of transport..

I still fire up OpenTTD every now and then; One of my favourite games.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

NyetscapeNavigator posted:

I played the A-Train game on the Switch ( https://www.nintendo.com/store/products/a-train-all-aboard-tourism-switch/ ) and it's pretty fun if you like those kind of games.

EDIT: Train snipe

I think I bought this on Steam but what I really wanted was the classic PC US release of A-Train.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

They don't make it easy getting to the powersupply on the FM Towns but it was worth the work, found a swelling cap that I will need to replace.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

in a well actually posted:

I think I bought this on Steam but what I really wanted was the classic PC US release of A-Train.

Yeah, the US version is A-Train III. There were plans to bring IV to the States in a bigger way but not through Maxis who were having trouble at the time.

I just got my own Towns II HR20 desktop, it is reported as not powering on... but it's pretty. Need to build a keyboard and mouse adapter.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Oh gently caress yes:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2307520/Krakout_C64CPCSpectrum/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQZtK-pRk88

e: Oh gently caress no I'd forgotten about the BEES.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Tangentially related to retro gaming. LGR is on CNN, but not related to his usual content.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZeuR1eyIgfo

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

lobsterminator posted:

Tangentially related to retro gaming. LGR is on CNN, but not related to his usual content.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZeuR1eyIgfo

Sad to hear he's dumb enough to have a smart home.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
X10 would never have led you astray like this Clint

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I rigged up enough X10 that I can turn the lights on and off in my bedroom from my PS/2.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Luigi Thirty posted:

I rigged up enough X10 that I can turn the lights on and off in my bedroom from my PS/2.

The Soviets used a clapper.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

MSX is my first love but Towns always had a strange allure. I ended up with a PC-9801DA mostly because the entry cost for 386/non-Touhou PC-98s was way lower. I've sunk too much into it now to justify another big PC, but my heart still skips a beat every time I see listings for the all-in-ones.

I do like tinkering and expansion boards though so PC-98 is kinda great in that respect, especially because the DA has a really annoying keyed HDD system.

Nancy fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Mar 2, 2023

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

My NABU arrived last night. I still need to order an adapter and haven’t even bothered to power it on, but man is it neat to get an NOS machine. It’s so pristine.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Same. Even the box from the 80s is in pristine condition. I’m so conflicted recycling it, even though I don’t have room for a box lying around doing nothing :lol:

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Got this in the mail today. I think it is one of the best video/computer game cover designs ever, at least an icon from the 80s

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I thought that was a vinyl at first

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.

You Am I posted:

Got this in the mail today. I think it is one of the best video/computer game cover designs ever, at least an icon from the 80s

Yessss, oh that's awesome - also I saw Jason Scott tweet about a Mac port that he hadn't seen before: https://archive.org/details/moofaday_Pinball_Construction_Set

(I've only ever played it on the C64)

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I thought that was a vinyl at first
I had Marble Madness for Amiga and it had a similar box (flat and square), I guess that was an Electronic Arts thing back then!

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Minidust posted:

I had Marble Madness for Amiga and it had a similar box (flat and square), I guess that was an Electronic Arts thing back then!

Lmao you kids.

e: :corsair:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

You Am I posted:

I think we can all agree that the first sign of EA going to poo poo was when they stopped using the album packaging.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Random Stranger posted:

I think we can all agree that the first sign of EA going to poo poo was when they stopped using the album packaging.

It was actually when they went public, OP. (In 1989 so I think it tracks?)

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Yeah I had someone want to buy all my vinyl game boxes off me a few years back and I realized I just could not part with ALL of them (I did sell most of them though)

I owned Pinball Construction Set for my Atari 800XL but I was so young that I treated the boxes like disposable packaging :smith:

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

Well dang, recapping the FM Towns power supply resolved all of the previously mentioned issues. Mouse works perfectly and the floppy disks read and write now. I'm surprised it worked as well as it did, three of the capacitors were hanging on for dear life and probably only had hours left before they failed completely.

In addition to that I replaced the CMOS batteries so it will boot from SCSI without having to go into the settings on every cold boot. I also installed two 8MB SIMMS, bringing the total to 18MB, which is absurd for a 386DX.

EDIT: lol one day later and the Towns isn’t turning on. Looks like a resistor blew on the power supply.

NyetscapeNavigator fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Mar 9, 2023

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Anyone know anything about PocketPCs? That's retro computer gaming kind of, I mean they're a type of PC.
Honestly I just cant find a better thread for this question, I don't think we have a PDA thread. Nothing about stuff this old in IYG, nothing about retro hardware in SHSC
I want to buy some PDAs for playing some old PDA games and just general nostalgia. I had a Palm pro back in the day and an ipaq that had a really garbage hardware flaw where you couldnt press 2 buttons down at the same time.

Both PalmOS devices and PocketPCs are really cheap now too so I figured I'd grab one of each to have around. But now that they're all dead I want to get one of the last ones of each, I figure there's probably a late release or a few of each that are going to be the best all around PDAs we'll ever have . Any suggestions for what would be the best PocketPC with the last versions of Windows Mobile that is an actual pocket pc? most of the late windows mobile devices, like the ipaq glimmer, were more blackberry style phones and not pdas from what I can see and I guess by the late 2000s the whole PDA concept was on its way out with the iphone making them all obsolete.

Same thing with Palm, what's the last, most powerful actual PalmOS device that still feels like a Palm Pilot?

PalmOS/Windows Mobile stuff is really poorly preserved too. A lot of it was shareware with "send check with money order to" readmes that obviously don't work anymore, so I've spent a lot of time archiving it as best I can since not many other people are. There weren't many good games for either, but it's still a part of gaming history and I archive junk because that's what disappears first. There are things like Kyle's Quest, which is really what I'm nostalgic for.

Kyle's Quest was an RPG engine, sort of like RPG Maker, but scaled down for PDAs. The original versions could get you Game Boy quality RPG, and there were dozens. All just made by fans (which made these especially hard to archive, since they'd often be in just random places) It was the only way to play some variation of Pokemon on an early palm pilot which wasn't actually capable of emulating a real GB

(I only had this poorly photoshopped for an inside joke with a friend version and I'm too lazy to bust out the palm emulator to get a better one)

There is an Android version of Kyle's Quest but it's not really the same. Playing these old PDA games on an emulator is annoying since they mostly used touchscreen controls and that's why I want to get original hardware to play them.

Since this is pretty close to off topic for the thread I guess I'll talk about something related that's more about Retro PC stuff, Windows 95 RPG Maker games. RPG Maker 95 is the least well preserved of all the RPG Maker games. It barely runs on modern Windows, no ones taken the time to rewrite the engine, and it never got an official Western release. No one in the West used it seriously so it was a wasteland of shovelware RPGs made by 12 year olds. I played them all.

One of those games was "Evan's Adventure."
https://cz0.au/AipEhs.zip
This is the actual game, it took me forever to track down.

You play Evan, a young teen living in the world of Pokemon long after the events of Pokemon Red/Blue, when things have gotten much edgier. Ash is dead, killed by his own charizard, and a bunch of other poorly spelled cool to a 13 year old things have changed. You set out to find your girlfriend or something until eventually capturing a Missingno/ghastly that turns out to be the ghost of your mom who is now evil for some reason and you have to defeat her with the power of Jesus

It's bad, but I'm glad I have it archived. There was a huge explosion of stuff like this in the late 90s when the Internet became mainstream, but since the Internet was far more decentralized and fragile so much of its pretty much disappeared.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

I don't have anything of value to contribute to your questions unfortunately but I just wanted to say that entire post loving owns and I'm glad you're archiving this stuff.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I played a ton of hyperspace delivery boy on my old windows pocket Pc.

A John Romero pocket pc game!!!

I see it’s been ported to windows and Linux so maybe it also works on modern stuff?

Either way I agree that I don’t have a ton of knowledge here but I’m glad you’re doing this.

E: a bunch of stuff from the man himself. Romero leak the GBA build https://romero.smugmug.com/Video-Games/Hyperspace-Delivery-Boy/

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Mar 11, 2023

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

I'm hoping eventually I can make a thread here about Retro PDA gaming. Just want to get back into playing around with it so it's not just "here are my 20 year old memories."

There are even interesting third PDAs that don't have a lot of information archived anywhere about them. Like, a friend and I also got the VTech Helio. I would pay decent money to get another one of these. It didn't have much for it but it did have a few games. (this website doesn't seem to be completely working? But it's archived on archive.org) The crazy thing about it was, compared to the Palm Pilots at the time it was really capable, I am pretty sure it could outperform any Palm when it was released, but it's vtech so no one was going to take it seriously and they probably never intended for it to be serious anyway.

We did manage to get Linux working on it though, https://tldp.org/LDP/Mobile-Guide/html/mobile-guide-p3c2s2-helio.html

But, now that's all dead links and the device doesn't even have its own wikipedia page.

What is the SA policy on abandonware? Like, really completely abandoned abandonware? Kyle's Quest cant be bought anymore and the company behind it doesn't exist anymore either. And if I made a thread it seems better if I had links to where people can actually play these ancient games in emulators now.

BrainDance fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Mar 12, 2023

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

BrainDance posted:

I'm hoping eventually I can make a thread here about Retro PDA gaming. Just want to get back into playing around with it so it's not just "here are my 20 year old memories."

There are even interesting third PDAs that don't have a lot of information archived anywhere about them. Like, a friend and I also got the VTech Helio. I would pay decent money to get another one of these. It didn't have much for it but it did have a few games. (this website doesn't seem to be completely working? But it's archived on archive.org) The crazy thing about it was, compared to the Palm Pilots at the time it was really capable, I am pretty sure it could outperform any Palm when it was released, but it's vtech so no one was going to take it seriously and they probably never intended for it to be serious anyway.

We did manage to get Linux working on it though, https://tldp.org/LDP/Mobile-Guide/html/mobile-guide-p3c2s2-helio.html

But, now that's all dead links and the device doesn't even have its own wikipedia page.

Sounds like a fun thread. I had the Palm Pilot III back then and I really liked it. There was a time when I noticed myself using some of the Palm Pilot letters when writing normally on paper.

I later also had the Compaq iPaq. That was less fun. I didn't like the Windows OS compared to the Palm OS.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

for the last palm pilot that feels like a palm pilot ur gonna want the sony clie peg-sl10, it ran palm os 4 or something so it still looked and felt like a palm pilot + can run space trader + kyle's quest 1 and 2 but it was probably the last one to use disposable batteries

being able to toss a couple AAA batteries in there and run it is very important because you're unlikely to find a palm pilot with a rechargeable battery that still works, and good luck finding a source for a replacement battery that doesn't also die immediately

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

BrainDance posted:

What is the SA policy on abandonware? Like, really completely abandoned abandonware?

I don't think you can link it directly, but you can point out "I put it on Archive.org". That site is DMCA-exempt for old software and would be the better steward for this sort of thing.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

BrainDance posted:

What is the SA policy on abandonware? Like, really completely abandoned abandonware? Kyle's Quest cant be bought anymore and the company behind it doesn't exist anymore either. And if I made a thread it seems better if I had links to where people can actually play these ancient games in emulators now.

Saoshyant posted:

I don't think you can link it directly, but you can point out "I put it on Archive.org". That site is DMCA-exempt for old software and would be the better steward for this sort of thing.

This would be my preference both from a preservation perspective and a 'forum rules for :filez:' perspective.
Obviously I know nobody is going to kick in Jeffrey's door over Kyle's Quest, it's just a consistency thing so IKs/mods etc aren't having to weigh the copyright status of every single game link.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Also while I'm here I don't know how many people browse the Retro Games forum rather than just going straight here via bookmarks but Calabi-Yau posted a thread about the NABU network/computer that posters in this thread might be interested in checking out.

BrainDance when you make that PDA thread I'll sticky it for a bit to give it some visibility as that's cool as hell. Just flick me a PM or prod me here if I forget.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

blatman posted:

for the last palm pilot that feels like a palm pilot ur gonna want the sony clie peg-sl10, it ran palm os 4 or something so it still looked and felt like a palm pilot + can run space trader + kyle's quest 1 and 2 but it was probably the last one to use disposable batteries

being able to toss a couple AAA batteries in there and run it is very important because you're unlikely to find a palm pilot with a rechargeable battery that still works, and good luck finding a source for a replacement battery that doesn't also die immediately

Thanks for this, I didn't even consider how old the batteries would be even though that's probably the first thing to think about when buying old hardware that runs on batteries.

I wonder if any use somewhat generic lithium batteries that are still being made for one thing or another. I can buy hardware from Shenzhen pretty easily, been doing that for another project building a retro pc, and there are a lot of misc parts straight from the factory (or just ancient but never used, not that that would help for batteries I'd imagine) like that.

It will be a while before I get a thread together because I want to do it right. But I've been on a nostalgia kick lately so it's a good time for me to dive back into it. I went and checked how many Kyle's Quest maps there are on archive.org, right now there are about 4. In my archive I have almost 70 (which may be the entire collection) lol so I'll get something up specifically for that. I'm surprised that hasn't been more well archived because most of the games on PalmOS are really simple, just ports of classic games, but Some of the Kyle's Quest maps though aren't actually that bad. You don't need much hardware for a decent 2d rpg I guess.

lobsterminator posted:

There was a time when I noticed myself using some of the Palm Pilot letters when writing normally on paper.

Being able to write in graffiti has to be one of the rarest skills. Just an incredibly niche written language that was only relevant for the absolute shortest time ever.
It still exists for Android but I cant imagine wanting to use it now.

BrainDance fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Mar 14, 2023

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

A computer console in the last episode of Mandalorian looks like a modified C64. Those F-keys are pretty recognizeable.

JB Lars
Nov 25, 2005

BrainDance posted:

Same thing with Palm, what's the last, most powerful actual PalmOS device that still feels like a Palm Pilot?

Tapwave Zodiac? Man, I loved that thing.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

iirc a lot of the physical computer console props like that are video editing or video mixing controllers, since they tend to have a lot of colored buttons, weird controls, and lights everywhere. The Death Star laser controls, for example.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".

Luigi Thirty posted:

iirc a lot of the physical computer console props like that are video editing or video mixing controllers, since they tend to have a lot of colored buttons, weird controls, and lights everywhere. The Death Star laser controls, for example.

I can’t think about this without hearing that sound when the Death Star is ready to fire and the guy moves the T-bar

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Luigi Thirty posted:

namlosh posted:

I can’t think about this without hearing that sound when the Death Star is ready to fire and the guy moves the T-bar

Imagining that video of Rick Rubin and Paul McCartney but they accidentally destroy Alderaan

kynikos
Aug 15, 2001
Does anyone have a tutorial for getting WHDLoad up and running on an Amiga 500? I'm old but very new to Amiga stuff as I grew up with 486/DOS computers and do not live in PAL-land. I have an Amiga 500 rev6a (ECS Agnus) with a 512K trapdoor expansion that I've been using a Gotek with that works ok but is kind of annoying to have to get eye-level with it to see anything. I recently picked up an ACA500plus accelerator and installed WB 3.1 but don't really get what I need to do next as, again, I am very new to Amiga. Lots of the WHDLoad tutorials I've seen talk about the Amiga 500 Mini and WINUAE but I'd like of like to do it all on my actual Amiga. The ACA500plus has a hot-swappable AUX CF card that reads PC formats so I should be able to just copy files over in Workbench but am feeling a bit lost and overwhelmed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

kynikos posted:

Does anyone have a tutorial for getting WHDLoad up and running on an Amiga 500? I'm old but very new to Amiga stuff as I grew up with 486/DOS computers and do not live in PAL-land. I have an Amiga 500 rev6a (ECS Agnus) with a 512K trapdoor expansion that I've been using a Gotek with that works ok but is kind of annoying to have to get eye-level with it to see anything. I recently picked up an ACA500plus accelerator and installed WB 3.1 but don't really get what I need to do next as, again, I am very new to Amiga. Lots of the WHDLoad tutorials I've seen talk about the Amiga 500 Mini and WINUAE but I'd like of like to do it all on my actual Amiga. The ACA500plus has a hot-swappable AUX CF card that reads PC formats so I should be able to just copy files over in Workbench but am feeling a bit lost and overwhelmed.

I use Amigas a lot, so I'll try to help.

The instructions for WinUAE etc should apply, but you may need to replace some steps to use your CF card.

This tutorial looks very good and doesn't have any extra crap and should work for you as is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3mSawy6How

You need to install a few things like LHA and Installer, which makes the initial setup a bit more complex than just installing only the WHDLoad.

That video also shows how to install WHDLoad games the "legal way" i.e. using the game floppy. But normal people just download a full WHDLoad :filez: pack.

If you have any questions I'll be happy to help!