Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I got pmed to come in here about an IK for mafia games. I am sorry to say I do not read the mafia thread, but if you all come up with someone you want as IK for it, I will gladly add them.

Got no problem there doing this - I just cannot tell you who would make a good IK because I have not played mafia or joined in here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Hal Insandenza posted:

S’up bromore. Every time I have to suffer through another game with hambeet I always wonder what happened to the good Australians

Those are a thing?

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Someone run Clip Show Mafia, with all of these people past (and some new unrelated characters) popping in this definitely feels like a clip show

Squiggly
Jan 25, 2006

I'm Your Huckleberry

Jen X posted:

I think the big thing that happens somewhat regularly (or did when I was regularly playing here, mostly 2-5 years back) is that people will press others too hard and it will prompt an emotional rejoinder, especially when the person pressing is doing so in a way that seems unfair or rude

this is usually sorted out by someone leaving the game or conversation cooling off and people taking a break, which is an explicit option under every ruleset and never needs to be justified, but sometimes the person pressing the other is the one being a dick (rather than he person attacked needing to opt out of an emotionally affecting situation) and things can get tricky

this is a tone issue for the most part and I like to think people being warned for being too rude is a thing that happens, but it's worth mentioning because many game runners may be hesitant to interject when things are borderline

I think this is pretty spot on. I know I was pretty regularly guilty of this when I started playing again.

I started playing mafia as a teen in high school. Now I'm older but how I used to post and play still comes out. But most of the time a simple reproach from the community makes me feel like a pretty lovely person in real life and rightfully so. I like to think it was something I got better at but I think that's more how the community handled it.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I started playing when the community (and forums at large) was a bit more hostile, but I’ll say that I feel like usually people were very good at keeping a level of separation from the games and reality. I think to me that’s more important than everybody being nice to me in the game: understanding that players in the game are not going be talking to you in the most sincere way since the game is afoot.

But this also means that when I talk about being rude in games I’m thinking more along the lines of like people calling my case a dipshit argument and not stuff like mocking somebody’s dead cat.

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

VideoGames posted:

I got pmed to come in here about an IK for mafia games. I am sorry to say I do not read the mafia thread, but if you all come up with someone you want as IK for it, I will gladly add them.

Got no problem there doing this - I just cannot tell you who would make a good IK because I have not played mafia or joined in here.

We'll get back to you after 5-7 days of voting out potential candidates.

Paranoid Dude
Jul 6, 2014

chaoslord posted:

Also yeah I was going to comment on this yesterday but forgot, but page start dates

Page 1: 3/17/22
Page 2: 3/17/22
Page 3: 3/18/22
Page 4: 3/18/22 (new thread bump dies)
Page 5: 4/26/22
Page 6: 5/23/22
Page 7: 7/14/22
Page 8: 9/7/22
Page 9: 10/8/22
Page 10: 12/1/22
Page 11: 12/18/22
Page 12: 12/30/22 (here is where the secret santa bump dies out)
Page 13: 2/27/23
Page 14: 3/20/23
Page 15: 3/20/23
Page 16: 3/21/23

And no sign of slowing down!!!!!

Oh also we missed the threads birthday, happy belated birthday thread

Long live Mafia!

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

chaoslord posted:

Someone run Clip Show Mafia, with all of these people past (and some new unrelated characters) popping in this definitely feels like a clip show

That only means one thing…BRING IT IN FOLKS!
*every poster from every mafia game ever come in with everything for a HUGE party*

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

chaoslord posted:

Also yeah I was going to comment on this yesterday but forgot, but page start dates

Page 1: 3/17/22
Page 2: 3/17/22
Page 3: 3/18/22
Page 4: 3/18/22 (new thread bump dies)
Page 5: 4/26/22
Page 6: 5/23/22
Page 7: 7/14/22
Page 8: 9/7/22
Page 9: 10/8/22
Page 10: 12/1/22
Page 11: 12/18/22
Page 12: 12/30/22 (here is where the secret santa bump dies out)
Page 13: 2/27/23
Page 14: 3/20/23
Page 15: 3/20/23
Page 16: 3/21/23

And no sign of slowing down!!!!!

Oh also we missed the threads birthday, happy belated birthday thread

Now do the previous thread

DGK2000
May 3, 2007

Hotel Soap is super proud of his little perfumed balls that never get dirty or stinky

chaoslord posted:

clip shoooooowwwwwwwww

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Dropping by to say that I vote Ecco as Mafia IK.

Hope everybody's good.

Squiggly posted:

I think this is pretty spot on. I know I was pretty regularly guilty of this when I started playing again.

I started playing mafia as a teen in high school. Now I'm older but how I used to post and play still comes out. But most of the time a simple reproach from the community makes me feel like a pretty lovely person in real life and rightfully so. I like to think it was something I got better at but I think that's more how the community handled it.

Also, this. It's why I don't play any more.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Mr. Humalong posted:

We'll get back to you after 5-7 days of voting out potential candidates.

Best post in the thread

DGK2000
May 3, 2007

Hotel Soap is super proud of his little perfumed balls that never get dirty or stinky

Opopanax posted:

Honestly if someone is being a weirdo and/or sex pest

The gently caress have I missed

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

Jump King posted:

not stuff like mocking somebody’s dead cat.

Ugh THAT game

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Jump King posted:

I started playing when the community (and forums at large) was a bit more hostile, but I’ll say that I feel like usually people were very good at keeping a level of separation from the games and reality. I think to me that’s more important than everybody being nice to me in the game: understanding that players in the game are not going be talking to you in the most sincere way since the game is afoot.

But this also means that when I talk about being rude in games I’m thinking more along the lines of like people calling my case a dipshit argument and not stuff like mocking somebody’s dead cat.

Wait are you still mad about the time I gave someone poo poo for subbing out lol, I didn’t make fun of a dead cat, cats are cool

E: actually did Lumpen do that? Brain hazy

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I have no clue what you’re talking about or why you think this song is about you

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Diqnol posted:

E: actually did Lumpen do that? Brain hazy

That’s the story but I’m pretty sure winvirus did it way worse than lumpen but somehow got lumpen to take the fall (or maybe I’m thinking of another thing but that definitely happened at least once with those two because people already hated lumpen)

EchoRaven
Jan 12, 2017

I don't think Ecco should be IK.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Maybe we should have a poll setup or some kind of voting thread for ik

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

If you guys offer us one or a couple or three candidates I would like to then chat with them via PMs just to make sure we're clear on roles and responsibilities etc. Also I'll just say it out loud, we're gonna look at rap sheets and a little posting history and make sure the mod team feels like it's a good fit. That's not some kind of grueling test, just like a two minute conversation where me and antivehicular go "hmm they seem fine" at each other.

It is a volunteer position so it is OK to say "I volunteer" here. If you're thinking about it but have reservations, I can chat about them with you, too.

Moatillata
Dec 13, 2006

Maintain.

got some chores tonight posted:

taste graciously invited me back to the mafia community but im sad to report that im incredibly normal now and get paid a lot of money to be an important person who materially improves lives and is universally beloved in my irl life so i may not have enough time to pretend im a misanthropic moron who doesnt use capital letters

glad to know that yall got rid of some of the racists and sex pests (i.e. my posting enemies) from before, solid work.

also give ecco the star even though its a completely meaningless title and will only inevitably lead to corrupting power it would make them happy and they deserve it for being way too into mafia and also theyre a good person (i am detecting this with my really strong detecting skills)

Congrats man

Moatillata
Dec 13, 2006

Maintain.
I vote give IK to Ecco because it will be like that scene in LOTR when Galadriel is offered the ring and I am here for that

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Jump King posted:

Now do the previous thread

No

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

forums poster kingcobweb got a piece in Jacobin written about him :unsmith:

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

kcw started the first game of forums Mafia, but he has also done a lot of good work with unions. A complex figure for sure

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

An SA Mafia success story. You rule kcw if you still read these forums at all.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Can we move away from saying lunch too? Like I don't really know if we can pat ourselves on the back for moving away from using lynch if we are just changing one letter and saying the same thing but coded.

Idle Amalgam
Mar 7, 2008

said I'm never lackin'
always pistol packin'
with them automatics
we gon' send 'em to Heaven
What about launch?

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
i know that is a joke but i would prefer to avoid cutesy hehe we are not saying lynch stuff in all forms, yes

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

I use execute.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

bowmore posted:

New Zealand

I visited new zealand last year, it was great. I might be visiting australia this year for the women's world cup to watch the US team win again (neo-imperialism).

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

Snooze Cruise posted:

i know that is a joke but i would prefer to avoid cutesy hehe we are not saying lynch stuff in all forms, yes

Grandicap posted:

I use execute.

I agree with Snooze and this is why I, like Grandicap, use execute.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Snooze Cruise posted:

Grandicap posted:

I use execute.

CCKeane posted:

I agree with Snooze and this is why I, like Grandicap, use execute.

I agree with Keane and Snooze, and this is why I, like Grandicap and Keane, use execute.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
To toot my own horn, one may remember I was the first in the community to suggest we move away from "lynch." The nay-sayers said nay, but history has been on my side.

I've been using "execute" and derivations (e.g. "EXLO") and while a bit clunky at times it's fine.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I use "smooch to death" - wait what are we talking about again?

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

EccoRaven posted:

To toot my own horn, one may remember I was the first in the community to suggest we move away from "lynch." The nay-sayers said nay, but history has been on my side.

I've been using "execute" and derivations (e.g. "EXLO") and while a bit clunky at times it's fine.

This is correct, Ecco pointed this out.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
another reason why ecco makes since for the ik, wow

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

I've moved to using execute, but I've got some bad news about the history of executions in the US

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

I use “eliminate” or “elimination” because it feels the most removed from mob violence

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

how about "comfortably retire," or "ascended to a higher plane of existence," or "win the game early by not having to play any more"