Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

VictualSquid posted:

It is like salt. It is also like salt in that there are a lot of ingredients that already contain enough of it so adding extra is over-flavouring. Otherwise you are fine.

I cook most of my stuff from scratch so I definitely know my diet has zero MSG since I don't buy processed stuff or ready mixes or whatever. I'll treat it exactly like salt then, cheers.

Also, Turkish sudjuk sausage, how do you properly eat it? I used to eat it with the outer skin on, but then someone told me you're meant to take the skin off as it's dangerous. So then I started eating it without the skin, and then someone said I should heat it up before eating it. Any Turkish cuisine aficionado able to shed some light on how to properly eat this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Qubee posted:

I cook most of my stuff from scratch so I definitely know my diet has zero MSG since I don't buy processed stuff or ready mixes or whatever. I'll treat it exactly like salt then, cheers.

Also, Turkish sudjuk sausage, how do you properly eat it? I used to eat it with the outer skin on, but then someone told me you're meant to take the skin off as it's dangerous. So then I started eating it without the skin, and then someone said I should heat it up before eating it. Any Turkish cuisine aficionado able to shed some light on how to properly eat this?

The best way to eat Sucuk is grilled or shallow fried, I would say. The casing thing is a regional variation depending on region/brand. I prefer taking the cases off.

There are natural MSG equivalents naturally occurring in lots of food. Especially fermented foods. But if adding MSG makes it taste better, you don't have reached the critical point obviously.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Qubee posted:

Any Turkish cuisine aficionado able to shed some light on how to properly eat this?

Cook with it like you would chorizo. Most turks use it with eggs at breakfast, or in cheese and sucuk toasties.

Edit: google sucuklu yumurta to see how they mostly use it, or anything that autocompletes after you write 'sucuklu' (which means with sucuk). Frying it with eggs sunny side up and then eating it straight from the pan with crusty white bread (a baguette would work) is the OG preparation but I also like making menemen with it, which is a more scrambled egg dish with tomato and green peppers.

Butterfly Valley fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Mar 25, 2023

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Qubee posted:

my diet has zero MSG since I don't buy processed stuff or ready mixes or whatever

Glutamic acid is in absolutely loads of food, MSG isnt some mystical addiction powder only found in ready meals and fast food.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Tomatoes, for example, are filled with glutamates. Adding MSG is probably a good hack to improve store-bought tomatoes out of season, though.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I made chicken katsu curry, it's delicious. Just a bit frustrated because recipes online said to fry at 350f for 3-4 minutes on each side for the chicken cutlets. I did that for the first one and it was leaning towards burnt, it came out very deep brown. Still edible, but not great. The second cutlet, I let it fry gently at 250-300f (I was trying to maintain the temp but it kept yoyo-ing). It came out way nicer. A golden brown and no hint of burnt flavour.

Was I doing something wrong? Were my cutlets too thin? The panko is what started tasting burnt, the chicken itself was still juicy and tender.

Edit: jesus christ S&B curry cubes have an insane amount of sodium.

Qubee fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Mar 25, 2023

mystes
May 31, 2006

Deep frying should normally be at around 350. If the chicken isn't cooked through by the time the outside is done maybe you should change something else (either make the chicken thinner or partially precook it or something) rather than lowering the temperature.

If you lower the temperature it will absorb too much oil and be soggy.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
I would say if the first one was a little burnt (and you had plenty of oil in the pan) and the second one came out perfect then your initial temperature was too high and it got to the ideal temperature once your first cutlet cooled it down a little bit. Cooking is a results-based enterprise and if a recipe says X but Y yields superior results I say go with Y.

350° is the ideal frying temperature but if you're burning stuff at that temp go down 25° to 50° and see where that gets you.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Qubee posted:

I made chicken katsu curry, it's delicious. Just a bit frustrated because recipes online said to fry at 350f for 3-4 minutes on each side for the chicken cutlets. I did that for the first one and it was leaning towards burnt, it came out very deep brown. Still edible, but not great. The second cutlet, I let it fry gently at 250-300f (I was trying to maintain the temp but it kept yoyo-ing). It came out way nicer. A golden brown and no hint of burnt flavour.

Was I doing something wrong? Were my cutlets too thin? The panko is what started tasting burnt, the chicken itself was still juicy and tender.

Edit: jesus christ S&B curry cubes have an insane amount of sodium.

Yeah, curry block is just craaaazy high in sodium. Its just one of those things you have to just eat occasionally, unless you have big sodium problems, then you just don't eat it at all.

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
I've been doing Kenji's pan pizza recipe(https://www.seriouseats.com/foolproof-pan-pizza-recipe) for a few months now, and it's come out consistently good enough that I have the confidence to start thinking about other kinds of pizza.

Is the dough recipe prescribed in the pan pizza recipe similar to what you would want for a more new york style pizza, or does it require something totally different? I usually make the dough one night ahead and let it hang out on a countertop, if I could split half of that same dough to make one pan pizza like normal and experiment with shaping the other half to slide onto a pizza steel, that would be easy, but I suspect it's not so simple.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Dont try to precook the chicken. Whenever youre frying chicken, have the oven going at 400 with a rack in a pan. You can fry until the breading is perfect (dont worry about the time or the interior, only concerned about the breading). Then if the chicken isnt done, just throw it on the rack until it is. Perfect results every time, and less greasy

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Scoss posted:

I've been doing Kenji's pan pizza recipe(https://www.seriouseats.com/foolproof-pan-pizza-recipe) for a few months now, and it's come out consistently good enough that I have the confidence to start thinking about other kinds of pizza.

Is the dough recipe prescribed in the pan pizza recipe similar to what you would want for a more new york style pizza, or does it require something totally different? I usually make the dough one night ahead and let it hang out on a countertop, if I could split half of that same dough to make one pan pizza like normal and experiment with shaping the other half to slide onto a pizza steel, that would be easy, but I suspect it's not so simple.

It's been awhile since I've made pizza from scratch (I generally use Kenji's French bread pizza recipe because I'm lazy), but here is the KA pizza dough recipe.

The ingredients are exactly the same, and while the amounts are different - the ratios are very similar. Most of the difference is in the technique and equipment - to make a NY style pizza, you'll want a stone/steel to cook it on, and you'll want a peel to get it on/off said stone/steel. The technique differences are laid out in the recipes.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Anyone make cultured butter at home? Is there a brand of yogurt thats best for providing the bugs to make stanky rear end funk butter

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Kirkland Signature Greek Yogurt created a sauerkraut that lasted two years in my fridge

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
I've made it, used some random yogurt from the store and it turned out great. Don't over think it, if it ends badly it's not like you wasted much money or time.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Ive been making it for a while but sometimes its more funky and sometimes less funky so Im wondering if its the brand or maybe I just need to put more yogurt in

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I have a local cultured yogurt and they also do a non stabilized cream and oh man its nice.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Anyone else use the Mio water flavor "enhancers"?

I swear they halved the concentration of their solutions recently.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Im looking at a Strawberry Pineapple Splash Mio Energy here.

18 servings/1.62 fl oz
Sodium 15mg
1 squeeze per 8oz water

Not sure thats enough to find an answer short of PPM measurement.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
In college my dorm mates and I used to just add Mio Energy straight to cheap vodka and drink that. Hope that helps.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

It's just that it used to be the same taste and sweetness level as another brand of the same flavor (I buy whichever's on sale) but now it's noticeably weaker in the last few months.

All I want is a concentrate that's cheaper than the SodaStream ones, because they're a huge waste of plastic for what they offer. 8 or 9 bottles for $7, vs 12 bottles for $2.50-$3. and the "water enhancer" bottles are considerably smaller, too, so even less plastic.

I mean poo poo, I'd make my own drat concentrates if there was a way to get the flavor compounds as a consumer, and a YouTube tutorial.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Mar 27, 2023

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Mister Facetious posted:

I mean poo poo, I'd make my own drat concentrates if there was a way to get the flavor compounds as a consumer, and a YouTube tutorial.

Check out the Flavorer's Apprentice website, they sell artificial flavoring. You'll still need to figure out proportions and how much sweetener to add, though.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I would kill to be able to make my own Cola drinks

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Mister Facetious posted:

Anyone else use the Mio water flavor "enhancers"?

I swear they halved the concentration of their solutions recently.

I wouldnt be surprised if it was happening everywhere in food right now

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003
Help me with my dinner party plans. Fill in a blank in the main course. Critique my idea for dessert. And recommend some beer wine and cocktails.

Saturday dinner party. 2 couples. Here's the menu:

Drinks:
I have a bottle of Chianti ,a bottle of an Italian white whose name I can't remember, Coronas, and a well-stocked liquor cabinet. Suggestions for interesting cocktails? Or a good wine to go with the menu below?

Appetizers:
- Bacon wrapped dates. From homemade bacon
- Toasted garbanzo beans with salt, cumin, and lime. Tastes kind of like Corn Nuts, but less crunchy. Good for snacking while drinking wine and waiting for dinner to finish.

Main course:
- Pork tenderloin with date and cilantro relish.
- Baked rice and chickpeas with raisins. I'm going to mod this recipe with far less chorizo and double the raisins.
- ????? I need a vegetable dish. Something light and brightly flavored. The date sauce for the pork, and the heavily spiced rice, have many different flavors and a heavy feel. Something bright would balance them out.

Dessert:
- Olive oil cake. The linked recipe calls for tons of lemon juice and zest. I'm thinking of leaving the lemon out of the cake, and instead topping it with lemon curd. Would those go well together?

Bagheera fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Mar 28, 2023

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
I know it's a but basic, but why not a salad with some care and interesting vegetables? Or spring - grilled lightly marinated asparagus?

zone
Dec 6, 2016

The lemon curd idea is nice, though maybe cutting the cake in half and putting some down the middle would be good too. As for a vegetarian side dish, maybe a greek salad? I'd suggest drinks if I could, but I'm not much for alcohol and anything I know about that's armchair knowledge.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
The chianti will work for the pork best, and depending on the white you could do either for the rice. I'd choose the rice so there isn't dates in everything you eat

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

My wife was going to make the chocolate cake recipe from The Bear as found here for my birthday but got sick so I decided to give it a go at least making the mousse which had to chill overnight in the fridge.

I was heating the egg yolk and sugar mixture over a double boiler without realizing that the stand mixer bowl sat too low above the simmering water (in the smallest saucepan we have) and was contacting the water directly, leading to perfectly cooked sweet scrambled eggs despite whisking the entire time. Not ideal.

I could try it again in a different vessel that wouldn't directly touch the water, but would it be possible to just cook it straight in a saucepan over heat instead of a double boiler? Assuming I kept the heat low enough to avoid cooking the yolks like I did previously, just to bring it up to temp. The recipe says to bring the yolk/sugar mixture up to 160, which seems kind of high, no? I'd imagine the yolk would start setting at that temperature rather than staying liquid enough to beat and aerate with the whisk attachment.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”
I have an extra corned beed because it was on sale, but everyone I live with is sick to death of simmered corn beef and cabbage (plus I don't feel like tending to a dutch oven for 10 hours again). Every time I've had/made oven corned beef however, it's been super tough and kind of bland. Any ideas on what else I can do with it?

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
Slow cook in a smoker/indirect heat on the grill. Fat melts into the meat, it's heavenly.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

The Midniter posted:

My wife was going to make the chocolate cake recipe from The Bear as found here for my birthday but got sick so I decided to give it a go at least making the mousse which had to chill overnight in the fridge.

I was heating the egg yolk and sugar mixture over a double boiler without realizing that the stand mixer bowl sat too low above the simmering water (in the smallest saucepan we have) and was contacting the water directly, leading to perfectly cooked sweet scrambled eggs despite whisking the entire time. Not ideal.

I could try it again in a different vessel that wouldn't directly touch the water, but would it be possible to just cook it straight in a saucepan over heat instead of a double boiler? Assuming I kept the heat low enough to avoid cooking the yolks like I did previously, just to bring it up to temp. The recipe says to bring the yolk/sugar mixture up to 160, which seems kind of high, no? I'd imagine the yolk would start setting at that temperature rather than staying liquid enough to beat and aerate with the whisk attachment.

It is possible, it requires a steady hand and a steady nerve. It's not too different from how I was taught to make zabaglione.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

Bagheera posted:

Help me with my dinner party plans. Fill in a blank in the main course. Critique my idea for dessert. And recommend some beer wine and cocktails.

Unless you're positive everyone likes Corona I would pick up at least one more kind of beer because lots of people can't stand it.

For the side this kale apple walnut tabouli with sumac marinated onions is really good and comes together super quick and fits with your other vaguely Middle Eastern dishes. I don't like pomegranate seeds so I use blueberries instead.

Human Tornada fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Mar 28, 2023

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

How do I make regular chocolate chip cookies chewier rather than crunchy? More eggs, more butter?

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

The Moon Monster posted:

How do I make regular chocolate chip cookies chewier rather than crunchy? More eggs, more butter?

I think you just cook them less or in a slightly cooler oven maybe?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

The Moon Monster posted:

https://www.seriouseats.com/food-lab-best-chocolate-chip-cookie-step-by-step-slideshow

In my opinion, this is a good guide to walk through different features. I found that a small bit of corn syrup added into the sugar made a really nice texture difference with a little more chewy without being mushy.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Bagheera posted:

Saturday dinner party. 2 couples. Here's the menu:

Main course:
- Pork tenderloin with date and cilantro relish.
- Baked rice and chickpeas with raisins. I'm going to mod this recipe with far less chorizo and double the raisins.
- ????? I need a vegetable dish. Something light and brightly flavored. The date sauce for the pork, and the heavily spiced rice, have many different flavors and a heavy feel. Something bright would balance them out.
Julienne daikon, toss with the citrus-based vinaigrette of your choice (I'd use lime), chill in fridge until ready to serve. If you want some color, add carrots cut to the same size.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

The Moon Monster posted:

The main factors bringing crispness to your cookies are butter, white sugar, and temp/time.

Replace a portion of butter with oil for a chewier cookie.

Replace a portion of white sugar with brown sugar (or a little corn syrup if you dont wont the molasses flavor)

Cook a little less.

Id try dead middle, equal parts butter/oil, white/brown, as a start and adjust from there.

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003
Cocktail books? I need The Joy Of Cooking, but for booze.

I want to get another cocktail book, but I don't need just a straight recipe book. I'm looking for something that has: techniques (zesting without pithing; homemade grenadine; etc.), ingredient deep dives (styles of gin; tequila vs mezcal; etc), and maybe a bit of pop history.

Can you recommend a good broad overview of mixology?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
https://shop.americastestkitchen.com/how-to-cocktail.html ?