Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
In my experience, the solution is to wear them for approximately 1 (one) mile and they won’t be white anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup

Strife posted:

I have a white Rev'It jacket. It's a mesh jacket for summer riding, and buying one in black seemed counter intuitive, so I decided to go with like a white and black aesthetic for my gear. I got a white RF-1400 for Christmas, and needed some gloves, so I found a pair of white Rev'It gloves that actually fit my hands. And since they're the same manufacturer, I assumed they're basically meant to go together.

Problem is, they're a slightly different shade of white. My jacket is closer to an off-white, but the gloves are like a pure white.

This is awful. My disappointment is immeasurable and my day is ruined.

This is just due to the different fabric types. I have a different brand of white mesh jacket also with two pairs of different white/black gloves and the white leather of the gloves are more of a true white than the mesh.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Do not listen to these apologists. That is definitely the worst thing to happen to anybody ever. My Dainese jacket/gloves had the same problem. Luckily the gloves were absolute rubbish, and I sold them to some poor unstylish sap.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Geekboy posted:

In my experience, the solution is to wear them for approximately 1 (one) mile and they won’t be white anymore.

How do you manage to keep them clean for so long??

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
Half of my gear has white plastic bits that are now yellow. Only matters if you’re stopped :brap:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Slavvy posted:

How do you manage to keep them clean for so long??

It was raining.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

White gear is absolutely lovely when the sun is beating down on you. I have a white Rev'it mesh jacket too and it allows me to ride around at 35 degree weather for multiple hours without dieing - as long as i don't stop.
But just accept the fact that white fabric will never remain white for very long. White leathers can be cleaned fairly well, but even those will eventually end up with grime that won't come off.

Rev'it stupidly doesn't have matching white mesh trousers for their white/fluo yellow/black jackets, so i just got some Dane that's vaguely beige. Idgaf, it just has to let air through and be safe. For being pretty i already have that whole matching Dainese set.

LimaBiker fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Jul 7, 2023

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

LimaBiker posted:

Rev'it stupidly doesn't have matching white mesh trousers for their white/fluo yellow/black jackets, so i just got some Dane that's vaguely beige. Idgaf, it just has to let air through and be safe. For being pretty i already have that whole matching Dainese set.
Airwave 3 comes in "silver" which is light enough imo. I'm pretty happy with mine so far
https://www.revitsport.com/en/motorcycle-pants-airwave-3-silver

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Chris Knight posted:

Airwave 3 comes in "silver" which is light enough imo. I'm pretty happy with mine so far
https://www.revitsport.com/en/motorcycle-pants-airwave-3-silver

I have the same set, super pleased with them as well.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Hey dudes, after trying on a bunch of stuff at my local cycle gear, I bought a Dainese airframe D1 in a size 40 US/50 euro. Any idea what back protector size I should buy? None of the dianese stuff at the shop seemed to fit snugly into the protector pocket and I didnt like the amount of play in it.

Im thinking this one in G2? - https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/dainese-pro-armor-g-back-protector?sku_id=1149405

Any other suggestions?

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

PaintVagrant posted:

Hey dudes, after trying on a bunch of stuff at my local cycle gear, I bought a Dainese airframe D1 in a size 40 US/50 euro. Any idea what back protector size I should buy? None of the dianese stuff at the shop seemed to fit snugly into the protector pocket and I didnt like the amount of play in it.

Im thinking this one in G2? - https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/dainese-pro-armor-g-back-protector?sku_id=1149405

Any other suggestions?

I can't remember exactly which one I have but looking at their website yes get a Dainese G2 size. Mine fit pretty well in the pocket.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

I have exactly that in my Dainese HF 3 size 40 US/50 Euro.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

knox_harrington posted:

I can't remember exactly which one I have but looking at their website yes get a Dainese G2 size. Mine fit pretty well in the pocket.

Toe Rag posted:

I have exactly that in my Dainese HF 3 size 40 US/50 Euro.

Much obliged.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I bought an Alpinestars Tech-Air 10 airbag system and the loving thing doesn't work at all, straight out of the box. I can fleetingly get it to connect to the app, showing 0% charge despite being on the charger overnight.

Annoyingly I bought it from Germany as it's like half the price there, always a huge pain to return stuff internationally. I'm going to contact A* directly instead of the vendor. loving thing.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
Replacing some old d3o armor in my summer gear, d3o with manufacture dates around 2015.

Testing a little stuff. Bering Protect Flex Alpha level 2 back protector.

The old one had a gotten a aging crack.

The limb protectors are are revit seesmart level 1 (the blue ones) + a sas-tec tripleflex level 1.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Someone drew a penis on your kneepad.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

The blue pads look like the Dainese proshape armor that I got with a pair of their jeans, seems like the same concept. They are ridiculously thin and light, to the point I hope never to field test them, but I did buy the hip armor set as well since it only came with knee armor. I was trying to find some reviews or stress tests other than hitting myself in the knee while wearing them (results weren't super encouraging but I'd rather have them than nothing :v: ), but haven't had any luck.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Yeah Alpinestars has some as well, but don’t look quite as thin. I tried on a jacket with them, and I could barely even feel them. I want to try swapping out the armor that came with my suit, but last time I looked at them it seemed like the shape was slightly different so it might not work very well. They don’t make a hip version, though, so I wonder what conclusions you can draw from that.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I have those Dainese ones in some jeans, fortunately I haven't crash tested them but yeah they are very thin. I guess the Italians don't want to look like they have child bearing hips.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
I use those thin pads in my Kevlar jeans because proper knee armor is just too much for me to wear all day around the city, so it’s the thins or nothing.

They don’t look like they’d do much but it sure helps when I’m kneeling down fixing some strap or adjusting the idle or whatever. Even as useless as they probably are I’m glad to have them day to day.

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

Regardless of how they look or feel, all that matters is what the pads are rated for; the Dainese Pro-shape hip and back appear to both be CE level 1, while their Pro-armor line is mostly level 2.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
Yap, this is silly testing for limited use gear Vs old failing protectors. Get level 2++ The only thing of that will get extended hour/year use is the back protector that I ended up swapping into my main badlands touring suit. Due to the local climate and predisposition to rain showers every day in the late summer my mesh/air gear is sadly limited use.

Supradog fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Jul 12, 2023

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
Early on in my riding career (so like three years ago) I was told by more experienced people that it was safer to wear a separate back protector under the jacket rather than relying on a pad that will fit in the jacket pocket since you can use a longer pad that covers more spine that way, so that's what I've been doing. The argument makes a certain amount of sense to me and my pad goes from the seat to the helmet base (they actually touch if I look upward which I only do when I see interesting birds or aircraft and I I really shouldn't be looking at those when riding anyways) so fitting a longer pad would be impossible, but it's not hassle free and I've forgotten to wear it at all more than once.
A few days ago I zipped my mesh jacket/pants together along the waist for the first time ever as an experiment, and I had to tuck the back pad into the pants to make it work. It felt very nice and snug when sitting in the saddle but not so nice when standing up. 3/5 will try again maybe.

moxieman
Jul 30, 2013

I'd rather die than go to heaven.
Which back protector do you have?

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Invalido posted:

Early on in my riding career (so like three years ago) I was told by more experienced people that it was safer to wear a separate back protector under the jacket rather than relying on a pad that will fit in the jacket pocket since you can use a longer pad that covers more spine that way, so that's what I've been doing. The argument makes a certain amount of sense to me and my pad goes from the seat to the helmet base (they actually touch if I look upward which I only do when I see interesting birds or aircraft and I I really shouldn't be looking at those when riding anyways) so fitting a longer pad would be impossible, but it's not hassle free and I've forgotten to wear it at all more than once.
A few days ago I zipped my mesh jacket/pants together along the waist for the first time ever as an experiment, and I had to tuck the back pad into the pants to make it work. It felt very nice and snug when sitting in the saddle but not so nice when standing up. 3/5 will try again maybe.

Yes that is in general what you should do when zipping jacket to pants. If you look at 2-piece suits the built-in back protector is longer than one in a standalone jacket.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

moxieman posted:

Which back protector do you have?

Held Nagato

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

I got an AGV K6 on the most recent clearance for $350. I really like it, its very light and fits well.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Picked up an RPHA 70 ST for $250 on clearance that arrives today. I like my Arai, but after putting in a Cardo I get some pressure on my left ear, even though I've messed with the speaker positioning a bunch and am not bothered on the right side. If this RPHA fits my big dumb XXL head, I'll move the speakers over to that and use it for my long distance rides. It'll be nice to have an internal sunshade as well, even though my choice of Honeywell/Uvex impact-rated sunglasses with anti-fog work well.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

whoopsie. Well we had a good run there, 6 years isn't too shabby for gloves that get used about 9 months per year, but it's definitely time to go looking for a new pair.

Any recommendations for the lightest, most ventilated gloves possible (it's 33°C outside right now at 9am, will be 39°C at midday :tif: ) that still afford some decent protection? I don't need carbon fiber sliders, joined fingers or track stuff, I mostly ride in town or secondary roads in the countryside in a pretty relaxed way, I just want to feel safe that my hands won't become minced meat if I go down for any reason. Those in the pics were Rev'It Sand 3 gloves with rubber(?) protectors that felt very nice, probably not as safe as hard plastic inserts but more comfy on the hand especially in summer when hands can swell quite a bit.

Or I could just try going for the latest version of those (Sand 4), but there's no one that has them available to try on in the vicinity, while I have an Alpinestars dealer nearby, also a Dainese one but I never managed to find a Dainese glove comfortable enough for my hands, while their pants and jackets are great for me.

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Jul 21, 2023

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

TorakFade posted:

Any recommendations for the lightest, most ventilated gloves possible (it's 33°C outside right now at 9am, will be 39°C at midday :tif: ) that still afford some decent protection?

https://www.alpinestars.com/products/smx-1-air-v2-gloves

The backs of these are mostly mesh where they're not armour, they're super breathable and what I wear when it's hot.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

knox_harrington posted:

The backs of these are mostly mesh where they're not armour, they're super breathable and what I wear when it's hot.

If you want something like this but with a bit more leather, I have the SPX Air Carbon gloves.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

knox_harrington posted:

+1 these are excellent hot weather gloves and the Velcro on them hasn't gone to poo poo unlike my much more expensive held gauntlets

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

TorakFade posted:

whoopsie. Well we had a good run there, 6 years isn't too shabby for gloves that get used about 9 months per year, but it's definitely time to go looking for a new pair.

Any recommendations for the lightest, most ventilated gloves possible (it's 33°C outside right now at 9am, will be 39°C at midday :tif: ) that still afford some decent protection? I don't need carbon fiber sliders, joined fingers or track stuff, I mostly ride in town or secondary roads in the countryside in a pretty relaxed way, I just want to feel safe that my hands won't become minced meat if I go down for any reason. Those in the pics were Rev'It Sand 3 gloves with rubber(?) protectors that felt very nice, probably not as safe as hard plastic inserts but more comfy on the hand especially in summer when hands can swell quite a bit.

Or I could just try going for the latest version of those (Sand 4), but there's no one that has them available to try on in the vicinity, while I have an Alpinestars dealer nearby, also a Dainese one but I never managed to find a Dainese glove comfortable enough for my hands, while their pants and jackets are great for me.

Please please don’t wait this long to replace gloves again.

Is that scaphoid slider rubbery or hard plastic?

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Russian Bear posted:

Please please don’t wait this long to replace gloves again.

Is that scaphoid slider rubbery or hard plastic?

Rubbery. Probably the worst thing about those gloves, seen as it won't really slide... I guess it's more thought to handle falls on dirt than asphalt being adventure gloves.

Anyway, at the A* shop they didn't have the Air gloves, and the Air Carbon was too heavy and bulky for my taste, ended up getting Alpinestars Halo gloves - again a more dirt/adventure-oriented glove, probably it's not the safest (even though I ride a 300cc scooter, not a Hayabusa...) but there was nothing as light and comfortable for my hands by a wide margin in the shop.

they're nicely perforated (not as much as others but hands don't get immediately sweaty wearing them in the shop) and there's plenty of stretchy textile panels, and they're certified so should be fine for basic safety hopefully. I promise I won't wait until these are destroyed before getting a new pair :v:

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

I had a Nelson Rigg tail bag I got for free. I was going to use it tomorrow, but apparently someone stole it from the garage where I park. It was OK, but I want to buy a different replacement. I was looking at a Kriega Drypack, not sure exactly which size. I want something that attaches without any special hardware. Any others to consider?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

TorakFade posted:

It's been 46 degrees every day for weeks and I know it's bad advice, but sometimes I ride around town without a jacket. Just too much.

Last year I tried an undershirt with water channels all through it that you would put in the freezer. It was good for about 15 minutes.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Yeah it sucks to commute home in the afternoon anytime it's above 90 here in the Portland area.
I've got a fairly light jacket but I still feel rivers of sweat running down my back at stop lights.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Mr. Wiggles posted:

It's been 46 degrees every day for weeks and I know it's bad advice, but sometimes I ride around town without a jacket. Just too much.

Last year I tried an undershirt with water channels all through it that you would put in the freezer. It was good for about 15 minutes.

I guess you could always wear something like this if you're not worried about looking like a giant nerd.

That'll at least give you some impact protection.

2Fast2Nutricious
Oct 4, 2020

I've got an evaporative vest, Hyperkewl, that holds a bunch of water that you wears underneath a jacket and with a little airflow that thing really cools you down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I've got a perforated leather jacket from Dainese and it works for me other than being cooked a little at lights. But I don't mind the heat that much so it's whatever 🤷🏼‍♂️