Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

More like Direwolf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

I continue to be impressed how there is absolutely no good news about Dreadwolf over this many years, unless you squint your eyes hard enough to make them bleed and count the vague teaser they put out two years ago followed by an even more deafening silence. It really does make it feel like they have nothing to actually show and have gone back to the drawing board for the 4th/5th time.

Like, when was the last time that someone working for Bioware actually talked about the game in any other way that wasn't just an assortment of "it's going fine, don't worry" assurances?

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Mr. Neutron posted:

Also, barring some missteps (the MMOification, mainly), DA:I was an actual good game, with a memorable villain (Solas, not Cory-dude, although I thought he was allright, too) and an actual, honest to god, decent ending that neatly concluded the story (shame you had to pay extra for it cause I obviously mean Trespasser).

Agreed. DA:I's core non collection stuff is pretty good. Trespasser is also the best dlc in the series.

I don't see any way DA4 isn't a disaster after all the chaos with its development though.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Someone needs to open up a gallery with all this game dev twitter apologia. It's my favorite new genre of art.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Generic American posted:

I continue to be impressed how there is absolutely no good news about Dreadwolf over this many years, unless you squint your eyes hard enough to make them bleed and count the vague teaser they put out two years ago followed by an even more deafening silence. It really does make it feel like they have nothing to actually show and have gone back to the drawing board for the 4th/5th time.

Like, when was the last time that someone working for Bioware actually talked about the game in any other way that wasn't just an assortment of "it's going fine, don't worry" assurances?

morale over there has to be in the toilet -- BG3 comes out which probably makes what you're working on look years out of date, and 50 of your friends get got

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Pattonesque posted:

morale over there has to be in the toilet -- BG3 comes out which probably makes what you're working on look years out of date, and 50 of your friends get got

Yep, there will be no gigglesquee tonight.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

At this same point 9 years ago Larian got $10 mil in Kickstarter money just to keep the lights on and Bioware released Dragon Age: Inquisition to critical and commercial success. Life comes at u fast.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

exquisite tea posted:

Someone needs to open up a gallery with all this game dev twitter apologia. It's my favorite new genre of art.

I loved the temporary zeitgeist of big, AAA publishers and devs going “look guys, we only have 10x Larian’s budget and employees: you cannot except us to make a game with this much content, even on a longer timescale.”
:sweatdrop:

…and then a bunch of Larian devs got on social media and went “oh man, with BG3’s success we can make a ~really~ ambitious game next…”
:smugdog:

exquisite tea posted:

At this same point 9 years ago Larian got $10 mil in Kickstarter money just to keep the lights on and Bioware released Dragon Age: Inquisition to critical and commercial success. Life comes at u fast.

There is a bitter irony in BioWare getting their second wind in the 2000s on making a spiritual successor to BG2 and now the real BG3 has seemingly murdered its adopted twin after returning like the Prodigal Son.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
What a disaster. Very sad right now, I was still looking forward to Dreadwolf and ME4.

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

My one and only hope at this point is that Larian really takes note of just how much buzz they were able to get from the companions in Baldur's Gate 3 compared to their previous games. It really feels like this is the first time that they truly managed to capture that peak Bioware energy of having instantly memorable characters who get so much time to shine. You had some fun ones in Divinity, but none of them really felt like they were treated the same way by the story that Bioware would focus on their party members.

It's such an essential part of the appeal for me, and for the longest time, Bioware seemed like one of the only companies out there that would consistently scratch that itch.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice
Bioware:Dreadwolf::Rothfuss:Doors of Stone

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

AngryBooch posted:

What a disaster. Very sad right now, I was still looking forward to Dreadwolf and ME4.

I was looking forward to DA 4 as well but that stopped like 3 years ago.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Dienes posted:

Bioware:Dreadwolf::Rothfuss:Doors of Stone

No

NO!

Shut the gently caress up, this is not the same!

I admit there are like zero good news, but I will never let go of my hope that Dreadwolf somehow comes out withing the next... 5 years, and that it will not be a disaster.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Generic American posted:

My one and only hope at this point is that Larian really takes note of just how much buzz they were able to get from the companions in Baldur's Gate 3 compared to their previous games. It really feels like this is the first time that they truly managed to capture that peak Bioware energy of having instantly memorable characters who get so much time to shine. You had some fun ones in Divinity, but none of them really felt like they were treated the same way by the story that Bioware would focus on their party members.

It's such an essential part of the appeal for me, and for the longest time, Bioware seemed like one of the only companies out there that would consistently scratch that itch.

yeah this is exactly it. gimme some aliens/monsters to kill with the bros and let me go back to my spaceship/camp and ask them how they *feel* about it and you've got me

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I just don't see how it can ever be good when it started as live service and got pivoted into an RPG.

How can any project survive such total incoherence?

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Strategic Tea posted:

I just don't see how it can ever be good when it started as live service and got pivoted into an RPG.

I have no loving idea but I´m morbidly curious to see the result once Bioware decides to let it shamble out into the world.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
BioWare loves chasing trends so five years from now Dreadwolf will come out and they'll have perfectly recreated Baldur's Gate 3's ... inventory system

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Strategic Tea posted:

I mean, you can just do more work. Forget what you were doing before and start from scratch. It would be the same project in name only but that's fine

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

It's all sadly ironic because if Bioware had just stayed in one place they could have gotten the BG3 license themselves and/or continued to put out critically acclaimed RPGs with the scope of Origins. We wouldn't be looking at BG3 as some transcendent generational experience because they themselves would have been making games like it for over a decade. Every single decision Bioware made was actively worse than nothing.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Apparently among the people they fired was the technical director for Dreadwolf. lol. also lmao.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Generic American posted:

I think the non-video game media that is/was supposed to bridge the gap between Inquisition and Dreadwolf is decent. But the funniest bit about that stuff is it's clear there's been a bunch of false starts, where they put out Tevinter Nights or the anime or whatever, to set up a soon to release game... that never comes out because Bioware can't make games anymore.

Pattonesque posted:

yeah this is exactly it. gimme some aliens/monsters to kill with the bros and let me go back to my spaceship/camp and ask them how they *feel* about it and you've got me

I'm not saying game development is simple by any means, but the core formula of these games is extremely cut and dry. It's crazy how botched this development is.

Strategic Tea posted:

It's already been a long time since live-service Dragon Age 4 was cancelled and pivoted to an actual game. I am willing to bet it's been cancelled and restarted like eight times since.

Nichael fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Aug 23, 2023

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

if your game be BG, doing fine by me
if your game be Dread Wolf, oh buddy oof

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Dreadwolf will be lovely, Bioware will be destroyed, and from the ashes Jade Empire 2 will finally be made.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Buschmaki posted:

Dreadwolf will be lovely, Bioware will be destroyed, and from the ashes Jade Empire 2 will finally be made.

You crush my dreams and yet rekindle them all in one sentence.

Why can't ME just fuckin' die already so JE2 can happen.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
https://twitter.com/elloyisanerd/status/1694454388603982042

https://twitter.com/davidgaider/status/1694489657009115415

https://twitter.com/JeffGrubb/status/1694399037598785872

Pattonesque fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Aug 24, 2023

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

It's loving over

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

both dreadfully and direly over

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Bloodlines 2 might still be happening, though.....

Ah gently caress it, all my RPG dreams are deader than dead.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy
Dragon Age: Deadwolf

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Admiral Ray posted:

Dragon Age: Deadwolf

Paul Revere 3000
Dec 8, 2007

So like a pimp I'm pimpin'
I got a boat to eat shrimp in
Nothing wrong with my leg
I'm just B-boy limpin'

:fork:

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Wow, laying off Mary Kirby? Can't tell if stupid or desperate at this point.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
any info on this? https://twitter.com/KrisWolfheart/status/1694412840134746216

FuriousGeorge
Jan 23, 2006

Ah, the simple joys of a monkey knife-fight.
Grimey Drawer
Don't worry, the Mass Effect and Dragon Age IPs will rise again as branded slot machines someday.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Man gently caress Bioware. Didn't they also sell the swtor ip to the Houston company?

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Sad to say it’s officially dead, but it’s not like Mass Effect wasn’t just generic sci-fi, and Dragon Age wasn’t generic fantasy. So it isn’t like another company can’t just rip them off in a few years

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

I mean the problem was that until BG3, no one else did. There was just a massive gap in terms of crpgs from then to now, especially in that particular Bioware style where ti focuses on the companions and your interaction with them.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Eimi posted:

I mean the problem was that until BG3, no one else did. There was just a massive gap in terms of crpgs from then to now, especially in that particular Bioware style where ti focuses on the companions and your interaction with them.

Well you see friend, that’s because while that stuff may sell well, it doesn’t generate an infinite upwards return curve quarter by quarter for the shareholders so I’m gonna need you to get back in the code mines and bring me some of that GaaS poo poo so I can melt whales down into glue

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Has there been any games been in development hell this long and with so many setbacks and actually turn out good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

ApplesandOranges posted:

Has there been any games been in development hell this long and with so many setbacks and actually turn out good?

They almost finished resident evil 2 then threw it in the trash and started from scratch and that game rules. But that only took 2 years lol