Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

post hole digger posted:

"surprised" isnt really the right word, because im not surprised guys still do it (and its almost always guys) , but i really thought that whole tim ferriss type cult of optimization type thing sorta peaked around like 2015-2016. it seems almost quaint now

Stupid ideas never die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grum
May 7, 2007
chickenfeed 2 hours ago | root | parent | next [–]

There's foods that trigger GERD for me, and I used to roll around the floor every night in agony, not knowing quite what was going on, as it was my norm.
To fix late night issues, I just have to eat before 6pm.

Chew properly. Soups kill me. And anything tomato sauced based is out.

Also weirdly oatmeal can trigger issues for me. But I can get away with it in the morning. I think it's also a chewing issue.

A huge amount of digestion happens in the mouth. So now I get my partner to pre-chew most of my foods for me.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
:eyepop:

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

that post took a swerve in the last sentence :catstare:

mystes
May 31, 2006

don't knock the baby bird diet until you look up how much protein worms have

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Grum posted:

There's foods that trigger GERD for me, and I used to roll around the floor every night in agony, not knowing quite what was going on, as it was my norm.

Also weirdly oatmeal can trigger issues for me. But I can get away with it in the morning. I think it's also a chewing issue.

A huge amount of digestion happens in the mouth. So now I get my partner to pre-chew most of my foods for me.

oh my gerd

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
wyager 11 minutes ago | prev | next [–]

The implication (that this many people are murdered specifically for environmental activism) sounds prima facie unrealistic. How many people are included in their definition of "environmental activist", and what is the risk-adjusted base rate for murders in that population? It sounds like they're including a lot of people from very high-risk populations. The fact that 88% of killings are apparently in Latin America (especially Colombia) is suggestive - this has to be picking up a significant amount of cartel conflict and trying to pass it off as environmentalism-related.

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

Yes, but no! Technically, horcruxes were backups, but the emotional weight of the concept came from splitting your soul, lessening your essence as you hedge against danger.
Partial backups follow the spirit of the idea better.
As an aside, I read the concept as an attack on promiscuity. "Whore crux". Contrast to Lord of the Rings' assault on marriage, where wearing the ring makes you invisible and slowly fade into nothingness, "like butter being scraped over too much bread".

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Grum posted:

my sibling in christ, prilosec exists.

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

Qwertycoatl posted:

that post took a swerve in the last sentence :catstare:

holy poo poo yeah, it started out as mildly weird, but relatable food issues, but drat

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Grum posted:

So now I get my partner to pre-chew most of my foods for me.

post/username combo

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."
chickens don't regurgitate food for their young

a few hours after hatching, baby chicks are open-eyed, skittering about, and eating solid food

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

yeah and janitors don't usually poo poo all over things but *gestures at joke*

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Achmed Jones posted:

yeah and janitors don't usually poo poo all over things but *gestures at joke*

the pointing at the mirror pose is considered passe these days

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
gabereiser 23 hours ago | parent | context | flag | favorite | on: Java 21 makes me like Java again

Outside of the enterprise there is no reason to recommend Java to anyone starting a project in 2023. I’m sorry. You can use it at work, with your gradle and maven builds, and your nexus/Artifactory repos of interfaces and impls. I don’t care that you cut your hair to try to be cool. That you dyed your grays to say “Hey me too”. You’re old. You’re not a fun experience. You focus on switch matching for 10 years and still force us to use Lombok. You introduce virtual threads but you still have threadpools and os threads. You are the current C++. No one wants to learn you, they are forced to. No one wants to program with you, they must to get paid. No one really enjoys debugging your call stacks and having to jmx into the vm host to determine if your catheter is leaking.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Mr.Radar posted:

gabereiser 23 hours ago | parent | context | flag | favorite | on: Java 21 makes me like Java again

Outside of the enterprise there is no reason to recommend Java to anyone starting a project in 2023. I’m sorry. You can use it at work, with your gradle and maven builds, and your nexus/Artifactory repos of interfaces and impls. I don’t care that you cut your hair to try to be cool. That you dyed your grays to say “Hey me too”. You’re old. You’re not a fun experience. You focus on switch matching for 10 years and still force us to use Lombok. You introduce virtual threads but you still have threadpools and os threads. You are the current C++. No one wants to learn you, they are forced to. No one wants to program with you, they must to get paid. No one really enjoys debugging your call stacks and having to jmx into the vm host to determine if your catheter is leaking.

and of course they appear to be a go user

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
all reference types are nullable and all value types are non-nullable. positional arguments don't exist so even the new-fangled record classes are constructed using some possibly huge number of positional constructor args.

ngl those two aspects of java really do suck.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

mystes posted:

and of course they appear to be a go user

Hey, Go is now firmly Java 1.5, it's improving

Sapozhnik posted:

all reference types are nullable and all value types are non-nullable. positional arguments don't exist so even the new-fangled record classes are constructed using some possibly huge number of positional constructor args.

ngl those two aspects of java really do suck.

the first one does, the second, enh. You should be using Kotlin probably, which is way smarter about it, but in practice escape analysis in the JVM is literal loving space magic and your perf issues are unlikely to come from boxed ints.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Grim Up North posted:

Yes, but no! Technically, horcruxes were backups, but the emotional weight of the concept came from splitting your soul, lessening your essence as you hedge against danger.
Partial backups follow the spirit of the idea better.
As an aside, I read the concept as an attack on promiscuity. "Whore crux". Contrast to Lord of the Rings' assault on marriage, where wearing the ring makes you invisible and slowly fade into nothingness, "like butter being scraped over too much bread".

lmao

e: I am going to straight face say that to my wife lol

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

lmao

e: I am going to straight face say that to my wife lol

save it for your eleventy-one anniversary

Accubitus
Nov 7, 2020
noman-land 8 hours ago | prev | next [–]

This may sound like a dumb question but can anyone explain to me why our senses are not all just considered touch? Molecules touch your tongue and you taste things. Molecules touch your nose and you smell things. Air vibrates your inner ear hairs and you hear things. Photons hit your eyes and you see things (not sure if this counts but it seems like it could).

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
somenameforme 1 hour ago | next [–]

So has the internet completely done away with innocent until proven guilty?

The primary benefit of things like MeToo was supposed to be people being able to take action against individuals who otherwise would have been expected to squash things due to undue influence on law enforcement, the media, and politics - like Harvey Weinstein.

But in cases like this, it seems quite dystopic that a D-list celeb, likely with little to no major influence, is suddenly getting completely cancelled across an entire swath of avenues and platforms, based solely on accusations.

woooooo 1 hour ago | parent | next [–]

Matt Taibbi brought up a case of a guy who put up montages of Trump saying the 2020 election was rigged cut up with clips of liberal media figures saying the Russians stole 2016.

Pure trolling, kind of funny, 100% clips of public figures with no commentary. Demonetized.

SmarsJerry 1 hour ago | parent | next [–]

It’s not even an allegation, it’s a news story. It’s pretty crazy that they would do this because of a story, not even criminal charges being brought. Apparently you don’t even have to get formally accused anymore. People say “it’s bad for advertising” but these acts of extreme abuse of moderation on YouTube have hugely contributed to other websites springing up. I have no doubt their market share overall is slipping despite their revenue growing, it will only be a matter of time before advertisers realize they can get more eyes more cheaply elsewhere. We’re long beyond the days where people believe a random advertisement on the same page as some random guy they don’t like matters. Somehow companies are stuck in the idea of the days of television where you sponsored a specific show. Now everyone knows if your advertising on google it doesn’t mean the advertisement agrees with every action of every person who appears in a search result.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

RapistTube springing up so that rapists don't get deplatformed is am existential threat to YouTube

mystes
May 31, 2006

Jose Valasquez posted:

RapistTube springing up so that rapists don't get deplatformed is am existential threat to YouTube
Call it MeToob

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

mystes posted:

Call it MeToob

lol

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

beebmam 3 hours ago | root | parent | prev | next [–]

The less money that creators get from YouTube, the better. Content becomes a swamp when content gets monetized for the creator. The internet was so much better before everything was monetized. The platform should always be pocketing all the money.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

by “the platform” they of course mean “I”

vvv also speeding. and almost every other crime

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Sep 20, 2023

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

judge2020 3 hours ago | root | parent | prev | next [–]

The letter of the law allows anyone to be guilty of rape, in the U.S. at least (as opposed to the UK).

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

how about some context, or is the funny bit that the thread is hellworld that also makes us actually read hn?

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

Jose Valasquez posted:

[url=][/url]
judge2020 3 hours ago | root | parent | prev | next [–]

The letter of the law allows anyone to be guilty of rape, in the U.S. at least (as opposed to the UK).

hahahahaha as someone who is very familiar with the letter of the law in us jurisdictions this is absolutely false lmbo

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

how about some context, or is the funny bit that the thread is hellworld that also makes us actually read hn?

it's all about youtube demonetizing russell brand

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

SamReidHughes 2 hours ago | prev | next [–]

No, if you're the kind of guy like Brand having sex with 100s of women, a handful of them being the kind that make false rape accusations is a certainty.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

randmeerkat 22 minutes ago | root | parent | prev | next [–]

> I was raised to consider ordering takeout in truly awful weather as pretty rude.
What’s more rude? Ordering takeout in bad weather, or not ordering takeout and indirectly punishing the delivery driver’s livelihood whenever the weather is bad..?

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

What do you think is worse: I get a treat, or I do not get that treat? The choice should be clear to any rational thinking individual,

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

So what is the SA approved correct answer to this question? There are a lot of delivery drivers using cars. And when delivering you only have to step outside for a moment usually? The drivers are still waiting for deliveries during that time.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

the correct approved answer is that using food delivery services is a moral failing and a sign of spiritual weakness. and also the food will be bad when it shows up anyways.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
on top of all delivery services being objectively evil, a lot of them add a complimentary evil to the mix by making it impossible to order directly from your favourite places to give everyone as big a slice of the pie as possible. places like grubhub will literally impersonate them in seo to proxy all calls through their services so they can charge everyone involved more money

if you think you actually care about a place you order food from, just ... order your food from them, instead of through some dumb middleperson

takeout at least used to imply that one of the employees had to do a delivery run back in my day

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

when you die you are brought before osiris, who places your heart on one side of the scale and the receipts from food delivery services on the other,

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

i would like a service where i order through a generic app and then its me who has to show up at the place at the given time to show the code and pick up my food

instead the takeout story is that i walk to a place, explain what i want and pay for it and wait for it and then walk back to my place. the process takes more time and is more work for the restaurant worker too.

i still personally go and pick up my stuff because gently caress uber et al

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

uber eats lets you choose “pick up” as an option for some restaurants, but I assume they still take a generous cut