Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lonelylikezoidberg
Dec 19, 2007

Annath posted:

So the smoker/BBQ thread looks less than active, and I've got a question:

I put a 20lb turkey on the smoker at 225F around 3 hours ago. The probe in the breast is reading 136F already.

I'd assumed around 30min/lb, for a target time of 10 hours.

This is the first year using this smoker (a Traeger pellet grill, but whatever).

Does this sound normal-ish?

Edit: redundant

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Turned out pretty good!

Last time I smoked one, it was a deeper red/brown, but that may have been the wood (apple last time, cherry this time).

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”
What should I do with 1lb of Jumbo Lump Crab meat?

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

DildenAnders posted:

Crabcakes.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

DildenAnders posted:

Crab gumbo or crabcakes

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Pookah posted:

On the wild off-chance any of you come across a cheap 2nd hand Hostess trolley, and you have the space, I'd seriously recommend getting it, even if you only use it once a year.
I'm talking about something like this:
https://www.adverts.ie/small-kitchen-appliances/hostess-trolley-price-reduced/32090883

I inherited my Grandma's one from the 1970's so I've never had to do a Christmas dinner, or other big event without one, and I have no clue how anyone manages to get everything ready at the same time, still hot and without stuff getting overcooked.
First year I did a spatchcocked bird, it hit the right temperature about 2 hours earlier than I expected, but because of the magic trolley, it was still perfect even after resting for all that time.
Yeah I know it's ugly af.

It's beautiful if you have nostalgia brain worms (I do)

I've found my air fryer "keep warm" setting is an MVP. If I was hosting a huge Thanksgiving feast it might make sense to get a dedicated warm box, but we also have a warming table we use for birthday party spreads. Cover tightly with foil and it lasts hours. Takes up less room stored in the garage.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

DildenAnders posted:

West indies salad.

It's a dip you eat with crackers not really a salad but it's good af and the hardest part is paying $texas/lb for lump crab meat, which you have already done. Don't try to make it better by using olive oil, just use the lightest vegetable oil you have or very light olive oil if you must.

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

Well, gently caress. I put some garlic in duck fat to confit, that went upstairs to put the kids to bed. Half an hour later I come down to find that my smallest burner on low can still put out plenty of heat.

God drat it, I was really looking forward to having that garlic in my mashed potatoes, plus the garlic infused duck fat for later.

I think it goes without saying that the oil is completely trashed, right? It's going to be bitter and acrid because of the burned garlic?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Well now you have black garlic

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Serious post: the oil from that might actually be good as a ramen topping

https://www.seriouseats.com/mayu-black-garlic-oil-for-ramen-recipe

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

Well now you have black garlic

That is not how you make black garlic, Steve :mad:

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

DildenAnders posted:

Crab rolls. Like lobster rolls, but with crab. Hot buttered for me, with just a smidge of lemon zest and Old Bay

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
No question, I just want to share my pain

I've never had issues with burnt crusts before, so I've never bothered doing the aluminum foil trick. Sure shows me. :smith: They're like 95% edible, but man, what a disappointment.

(they're both apple, done entirely from scratch, and I'm pretty proud of that lattice)

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Ok goon poll

Aluminum foil,
aluminum crust protectors,
silicone crust protectors
or other

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I'm pretty proud of that lattice

Dang right you are.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Steve Yun posted:

Ok goon poll

Aluminum foil,
or other
Aluminum foil late in the baking if it looks like they're burning.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Maybe we should normalize rimless pies

Like, what does the rum even do other than create headaches

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

It's all crumbly?

lonelylikezoidberg
Dec 19, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

Like, what does the rum even do other than create headaches

It makes you dance real good after 3 or 4 of 'em.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I swear iOS autocorrect keeps getting worse and worse

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Arsenic Lupin posted:

It's all crumbly?

:emptyquote:

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Steve Yun posted:

Ok goon poll

Aluminum foil,
or other

I bought some cheapo silicone ones and its a nice quality of life upgrade for cheap, fussing around with foil for this always felt tedious

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
I have a recipe for stuffing that calls for "1 8in square baked and cooled cornbread".

My mom and stepdad, bless their hearts, bought a bag of cornbread stuffing mix.

I'm not particularly concerned that it's already seasoned, but I'm not sure how much of that dried stuff translates into what you'd get from an 8in pan.

Any ideas?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Annath posted:

I have a recipe for stuffing that calls for "1 8in square baked and cooled cornbread".

I'm not particularly concerned that it's already seasoned, but I'm not sure how much of that dried stuff translates into what you'd get from an 8in pan.

Any ideas?

Check your original recipe to see if it says "serves X number of people" or gives an approximate serving size, and then check the bag of stuffing mix for the same. You might be able to figure out some rough proportion that way?

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
Alright spoon goons, save Thanksgiving for me. I put a 13lb turkey into the fridge Saturday night, and while it feels mostly pretty thawed, it's definitely not there 100 percent (still some ice chunks in the cavity, which I removed this morning). I wouldn't be super concerned with its current state if I was cooking it, but I'm smoking it. This is too frozen to safely smoke at low temps, right? Cold water for a couple of hours? (I know half hour per pound for cold water, but it's reasonably close to thawed).

No clue why it took 4 days to thaw a 13lb turkey. The fridge isn't that cold.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

That Works posted:

Check your original recipe to see if it says "serves X number of people" or gives an approximate serving size, and then check the bag of stuffing mix for the same. You might be able to figure out some rough proportion that way?

Ended up eyeballing it, but it turned out great!

(it's oyster stuffing)

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Slugworth posted:

If it was me, and I was throwing food safety to the wind, I would leave it in lukewarm water for 90 minutes, take it out and dry it off, and see where it was.

Edit: oh, change out the cold water every 30 minutes or so, and check to see how frozen it still is, each time!

null_pointer fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Nov 23, 2023

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Warm salted water, pretend you're micro brining (a term I just invented).

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Slugworth posted:

Alright spoon goons, save Thanksgiving for me. I put a 13lb turkey into the fridge Saturday night, and while it feels mostly pretty thawed, it's definitely not there 100 percent (still some ice chunks in the cavity, which I removed this morning). I wouldn't be super concerned with its current state if I was cooking it, but I'm smoking it. This is too frozen to safely smoke at low temps, right? Cold water for a couple of hours? (I know half hour per pound for cold water, but it's reasonably close to thawed).

If its just some ice chunks in the cavity and not like hard freeze around most of the meat I wouldn't worry much about it. If you want to really ensure that it doesn't stay in any danger zone temps for long then cut it in half or split out the leg quarters and split the breast in half and smoke it that way. It will cook through to temp faster and minimize any risk.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Cold running water will get it thawed quickly. Toss it in a bucket and put it under a slowly running faucet.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Annath posted:

Any ideas?

Ok I love guessing problems like this, so even though you've already solved it I'll take a shot.

So let's assume that the cornbread is 2 inches thick. That gives us a volume of 128 in3 of cornbread. Now stuffing mix is dried and will shrink during drying. I'd estimate it will shrink by 1/3 in dimension (as in a cube of dried cornbread will be 2/3 the width of a cube of fresh cornbread), so (1-1/3)^3 in volume, or about 30% of the original volume. so 38 in3 of dried cornbread. The mix is cut up into cubes and shards. Random packing efficiency of cubes is fairly high (78%), but the shards tend to reduce this (tetrahedrons are 68%). However, the stuffing mix will typically be a range of sizes, which will tend to increase the packing efficiency. So let's say 75%, that will bring us to about 50 in3 of stuffing mix we'll need, or about 3.5 cups?

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Americans will do anything to avoid the metric system

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Eeyo posted:

Ok I love guessing problems like this, so even though you've already solved it I'll take a shot.

So let's assume that the cornbread is 2 inches thick. That gives us a volume of 128 in3 of cornbread. Now stuffing mix is dried and will shrink during drying. I'd estimate it will shrink by 1/3 in dimension (as in a cube of dried cornbread will be 2/3 the width of a cube of fresh cornbread), so (1-1/3)^3 in volume, or about 30% of the original volume. so 38 in3 of dried cornbread. The mix is cut up into cubes and shards. Random packing efficiency of cubes is fairly high (78%), but the shards tend to reduce this (tetrahedrons are 68%). However, the stuffing mix will typically be a range of sizes, which will tend to increase the packing efficiency. So let's say 75%, that will bring us to about 50 in3 of stuffing mix we'll need, or about 3.5 cups?

The funny thing is that came out almost exactly the same as what I did.

Also, you estimated the shrinkage/rehydration of the cornbread perfectly - the package states that 2/3c dried makes 1c hydrated/cooked.

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003
Confit question.
I've made garlic confit and shallot confit. I really want to try some kind of poultry confit. There will be loads of turkeys available, so turkey confit it is.

1. Are turkey legs the best (or only) part that works well in confit? Can I breakdown a turkey and confit the wings and/or breast?
2. Do you dry brine the turkey beforehand, like you would with a baked or smoked bird? Or is this not necessary for confit?
3. Is the technique the same? Place in a fresh dish with garlic and rosemary. Put in enough oil to cover by about half an inch. Bake at 225 for 2 hours or until it reaches 165 degrees.
4. Will olive oil work? Would it be better with duck fat, chicken fat (schmaltz), tallow, or lard?
5. I imagine the skin will be floppy, even slimy, after cooking. Can you pull the turkey form the oil and broil it for a minute to crispy up the skin?

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

Is it ok to let pan drippings rest a while? I'd like to knock out the poultry early and let the pan sit, then do the gravy process.

Could that screw stuff up or is it just a matter of reheating the pan and doing the deed?

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

pro starcraft loser posted:

Is it ok to let pan drippings rest a while? I'd like to knock out the poultry early and let the pan sit, then do the gravy process.

Could that screw stuff up or is it just a matter of reheating the pan and doing the deed?

My great grandmother used to leave the sunday roast pan on the side in her kitchen for a week until the dripping was used up in sandwiches. It's fine.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Bagheera posted:

1. Are turkey legs the best (or only) part that works well in confit? Can I breakdown a turkey and confit the wings and/or breast?

I'd just do the legs myself.

2. Do you dry brine the turkey beforehand, like you would with a baked or smoked bird? Or is this not necessary for confit?

Salt is part of the preservation process, your recipe will tell you how much salt you need.

3. Is the technique the same? Place in a fresh dish with garlic and rosemary. Put in enough oil to cover by about half an inch. Bake at 225 for 2 hours or until it reaches 165 degrees.

Pretty much. Confit is basically poaching in fat,

4. Will olive oil work? Would it be better with duck fat, chicken fat (schmaltz), tallow, or lard?

Lard is traditional, but duck or goose fat will work well. Tallow and chicken fat might get in the way, flavour wise. Olive oil, I don't know.

5. I imagine the skin will be floppy, even slimy, after cooking. Can you pull the turkey form the oil and broil it for a minute to crispy up the skin?

It'll take longer than a minute, but yes. Get the excess fat off, and roast in a very hot oven for 5-10 minutes (keep a close eye on it).

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
Thanks for the advice, folks, turkey is in the smoker. Fingers crossed, and happy Thanksgiving!

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
I'm going to a thanksgiving potluck this weekend. I thought about making pigs in blankets (sausages wrapped in bacon), but I don't have an oven. Is it a bad idea to do them in a frying pan?

I thought about frying the sausages first and then wrapping them, but I feel like the bacon won't stick if I do this. And if I wrap them before frying I'm concerned the sausages won't be good as they won't brown/the bacon might burn before the sausages are properly cooked.

what do you reckon?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

Paperhouse posted:

I'm going to a thanksgiving potluck this weekend. I thought about making pigs in blankets (sausages wrapped in bacon), but I don't have an oven. Is it a bad idea to do them in a frying pan?

I thought about frying the sausages first and then wrapping them, but I feel like the bacon won't stick if I do this. And if I wrap them before frying I'm concerned the sausages won't be good as they won't brown/the bacon might burn before the sausages are properly cooked.

what do you reckon?

Are the sausages precooked? If not, cook them up and precook the bacon a bit just to make it malleable. Then wrap and finish the bacon off.