Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Tarnop posted:

I have a friend who is into D2:R and I'd like to introduce her to PoE. Her favourite class is sorc. Wtf do I recommend as a starter? Maxroll has one starter in the caster category and it's cold dot :rip:

Eye of Winter is I think supposed to be the Frozen Orb equivalent in this game. I don't think you can go wrong rolling Witch, there's going to be so many new spell options.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
are they attached specifically to being sorceress-y and blasting things with fire/cold/lighting? in that case, i think i'd suggest arc ignite elementalist. it feels real good (i started it last league) and its weaknesses (no damage endgame) aren't as likely to come up for someone just starting out.

if it's just being a spellcaster, the poison blade skills look pretty solid. bf/bb occultist, blade vortex pathfinder, etc.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Good suggestions, thanks. She definitely likes the elementalist side of sorceress which was why I was avoiding the stuff that feels closer to rogue with blades and all that

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

Divine ire could be an option? Or maybe whispering ice. (No idea if that is still good though.)

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

There are plenty of spells that are very similar to D2 ones (Arc, Spark, Eye of Winter to name a few), but I think the important thing is experimenting and finding a skill that feels good to use.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.
imo best part of watching people from diablo and alike is seeing the sudden realisation of "what do you mean I can equip a giant doublehanded battleaxe on my witch?? what do you mean it can be as effective?!?!?!" :yaycloud:
enki's witch guide is still a thing i hope? this could be of use. or let your friend try out the game without a fixed build, for the exploration and novelty sake

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

Erulisse posted:

enki's witch guide is still a thing i hope? this could be of use.

The update he had for TotA league was "don't play this build".

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Noper Q posted:

Cyclone of Tumult having a smaller movespeed penalty is probably enough for it to largely replace the base version. Sure, the base attack speed is half as much, but at full charge it more than makes up for that. Just never stop spinning, easy.

Your movespeed gets lower with stages. You absolutely need Stampede or maybe Jugg node jf you like going slow to make it feel good, unlike the regular version, which only has a 20% penalty now. Assuming you still get a 7th stage at 21 it might be worth it to go for tumult but it's less powerful than it appears at first blush thanks to the reduced MS and base attack speed modifier. The only question to me is if it has the old or new base radius, as you still have .1 radius per stage. Could we get screen wide cyclone without dubious levels of investment again? Probably not but imma live in hope.

wodin
Jul 12, 2001

What do you do with a drunken Viking?

Tarnop posted:

I have a friend who is into D2:R and I'd like to introduce her to PoE. Her favourite class is sorc. Wtf do I recommend as a starter? Maxroll has one starter in the caster category and it's cold dot :rip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUP1rMkVIWg

I'd probably recommend the Frostblink Ignite build, only thing that really changed is the Vortex nerfs and it's designed to be an SSF league starter.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Cynic Jester posted:

Your movespeed gets lower with stages. You absolutely need Stampede or maybe Jugg node jf you like going slow to make it feel good, unlike the regular version, which only has a 20% penalty now. Assuming you still get a 7th stage at 21 it might be worth it to go for tumult but it's less powerful than it appears at first blush thanks to the reduced MS and base attack speed modifier. The only question to me is if it has the old or new base radius, as you still have .1 radius per stage. Could we get screen wide cyclone without dubious levels of investment again? Probably not but imma live in hope.

Stampede is very underrated; it removes the penalty to Cyclone, allows you to use a cooldown-accelerated Frostblink while Cyclonining to traverse even faster, gives you immunity to Hinder/Maim/Tar, lets you skip Quicksilver flasks and all tree/item movespeed, and gets an Anoint.

Replica Stampede loses the travel cooldown bonus but makes the boots into a Cyclone 6-link if that's what you're DPSing with: https://www.poewiki.net/wiki/Replica_Stampede

I do wish Cyclone could have the omega-range from days past.

LeninVS
Nov 8, 2011

totalnewbie posted:

Divine altars, with boss rushing, show up about once every 400 maps from my experience.

I'll be starting LA Deadeye this league and I had the thought to keep people updated on how I'm progressing and gearing my character as I go. Someone in discord gave me the idea to keep stuff in a google doc so I could update in real time and also people could follow along if they want and that seems like a good idea if I were to actually do this.

I can't guarantee the quality but I'll try to include my upgrades and thought process.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ROOgwYon75iEBOKbcJBrHbgGfnYmU2-tQUg88UxED_Q/edit?usp=sharing

I believe this is the post in question

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Ultima66 posted:

I think PoE is particularly bad about the people who are most successful at the game tending to be whiny manchildren. Look at every single person who has ever been known for having a large hand in the overall game economy.

Hell Snap recently posted the plans for his group (more well known as Empy's group), and even describing their plans for how to get rich it was the most whiny passive aggressive poo poo. He explained that they were going to go with a Spectre build as a main DPS so that they are able to freeze enemies without killing them (Speaker's Wreath), which enables a Windripper character to cull giving more MF than the typical setups they used to go where the DPS wears the gloves that disable killing if you don't freeze. Throughout the video he constantly talks about how dogshit spectres are, how the build does no damage at all (400 million dps), how it's a terrible build that they don't want to play, etc. He justifies it because GGG changed up MF in a way where delirium mirrors are optimal that the best way to MF doesn't involve doing hard content any more so a "terrible 400 million DPS" number is good enough. Just absolute misery in everything he was saying.

snap is one of the most like, idk how to even describe it, just monumentally unselfaware people I've ever seen around any game. his hate videos over kalandra league were just dripping with venom to the extent that you'd think ggg had strangled his kitten and not that his preferred farming strat was no longer the strongest thing in the game. dude was scrunching up his face in like raw hate over a loving balance patch

imo every game people play for well into 4 figure hours is mostly played at the top level by people who are kind of significantly missing some part of their personality and poe very much is no exception to that.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

DangerDongs posted:

And sustaining the power charges to cast that at .6 speed is gonna be more than doable. It works with spell echo.

Spell Echo rolls crit once for both hits. I don't think the power charge on crit chance from the gem and PCoC stacks additively either so you'll have gaps in the power charge generation from those (maybe Doedre's Elixir is enough to cover that?)

You could go Occultist for Forbidden Power and push the mana cost up to 200 (Archmage? Fevered Mind?) for a guaranteed power charge on every hit but then you have to invest into enough mana regen to keep up with a 200 cost 0.6s base cast spell.

What I'm saying is: You can't handle my Cold Snaps. They are too Powerful for you, traveler

Bagpuss_UK
May 22, 2001

(NOT BAGPUSS)
Am I about to be successfully Jungroan baited into league starting Vaal Flameblast? :sigh:

It does look tempting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owmCBZN9jjU

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

Ignite Ele is like the most solved archetype and all the builds are only ever marginally different from each other, I'd be impressed if anyone could actually get stuck so bad they couldn't just switch to WoC.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Arzachel posted:

Spell Echo rolls crit once for both hits. I don't think the power charge on crit chance from the gem and PCoC stacks additively either so you'll have gaps in the power charge generation from those (maybe Doedre's Elixir is enough to cover that?)

You could go Occultist for Forbidden Power and push the mana cost up to 200 (Archmage? Fevered Mind?) for a guaranteed power charge on every hit but then you have to invest into enough mana regen to keep up with a 200 cost 0.6s base cast spell.

What I'm saying is: You can't handle my Cold Snaps. They are too Powerful for you, traveler

It rolls crit once, but does two crits. And power charge on kill stacks from different sources, why wouldn't on critical strike? Does for assassin.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Nothingtoseehere posted:

It rolls crit once, but does two crits. And power charge on kill stacks from different sources, why wouldn't on critical strike? Does for assassin.

poewiki posted:

Critical strikes are rolled once for both casts. Effects that trigger on an outgoing critical strike will only trigger once per activation of the spell, even though both casts will critically strike.

But looking it up, you're right - PCoC and the gem chance should stack additively for a guaranteed power charge every hit.

WTF BEES
Feb 26, 2004

I think I just hit a creature?
So why does the SRS change kill popcorn? I was always under the impression that you scaled minion life for that anyways instead of damage. I was also un-aware that anything scaled the damage on infernal legion as well.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

WTF BEES posted:

So why does the SRS change kill popcorn? I was always under the impression that you scaled minion life for that anyways instead of damage. I was also un-aware that anything scaled the damage on infernal legion as well.

You wanted life and damage, the pops and infernal legion both scale with minion damage, aoe and fire. The popcorn build lost the 38% more damage on the gem, but doesn't benefit from the buffer base minion damage that compensated so that why it being called dead

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Ultima66 posted:

Hell Snap recently posted the plans for his group (more well known as Empy's group), and even describing their plans for how to get rich it was the most whiny passive aggressive poo poo. He explained that they were going to go with a Spectre build as a main DPS so that they are able to freeze enemies without killing them (Speaker's Wreath), which enables a Windripper character to cull giving more MF than the typical setups they used to go where the DPS wears the gloves that disable killing if you don't freeze. Throughout the video he constantly talks about how dogshit spectres are, how the build does no damage at all (400 million dps), how it's a terrible build that they don't want to play, etc. He justifies it because GGG changed up MF in a way where delirium mirrors are optimal that the best way to MF doesn't involve doing hard content any more so a "terrible 400 million DPS" number is good enough. Just absolute misery in everything he was saying.

Oh yeah I posted that vid. I don't know anything about the guy besides watching a couple of those Party Composition guides (which are insightful), and that he parties with Empy who has a face for radio and some Gamer Opinions. "Entitled" would be a good word for how they strike me, but I salute them for publicly noping out of the Kalandra drop rates, those were dark days.

I think I got what he was saying about Specters though, not that they were dogshit in general but dogshit in the context of these Serious Business 6-person parties. 400m from PoB Warrioring (which I looked, and it assumes lots of bullshit like Vaal Haste always up) is not stellar when you're in a 6-person party (effectively it's 66/80 million against rares/bosses because of the More Life with More Players, which is plenty for most content but then 100% Delirium and you're down to 2-3 million from the 96% enemy DR), and Spectres even made aggressive just... still have Minion AI, sometimes durdle around or aim at invincible enemies, the Zombies/Sentinels body-block each other, they're just never as effective as advertised and you wind up micro-managing with Convocation or Deathmark which isn't going to feel great when you have 5 other people and a trader all waiting on you, I'd imagine.

He also didn't bring it up, but I know that his build with 20 Dom Blow + 11 Zombies and Spectres in a party, all 6 players will be viewing a slideshow due to the mass of minion entities (all with auras tracked on them) causing unavoidable server-side latency, much worse than say piles of Sparks. So they're giving up QoL (in their own niche context of... whatever it is they're tryharding) for more loot over time, and are likely bitter about having to do so.

GGG brings a lot of this on themselves. The way they talk about Aspirational Content and prop up these streamers, then wage war on QoL while these nerds spend 120 hours a week getting more and more demented. CWilson standing over the loot valves like Immortan Joe: "Do not, my friends, become addicted to gear, I will nerf it and you will resent the grinding"

I guess what I'm saying is, make CWDT trigger on any amount of damage, make spells auto-cast on a toggle while you run around freely, and make Squires and Magebloods cost 1 alc. Or at least have a private league option for that, cowards.

WTF BEES
Feb 26, 2004

I think I just hit a creature?

MMF Freeway posted:

You wanted life and damage, the pops and infernal legion both scale with minion damage, aoe and fire. The popcorn build lost the 38% more damage on the gem, but doesn't benefit from the buffer base minion damage that compensated so that why it being called dead

Ahhhh I never knew the pops/IL scaled with those. Huh, that blows. I used a 4l srs popcorn setup as my "damage spell" in my dumb all-elements pet build. Looks like this will be the league I really hunker down and try chaos pets then.....

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Bagpuss_UK posted:

Am I about to be successfully Jungroan baited into league starting Vaal Flameblast? :sigh:

It does look tempting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owmCBZN9jjU

Paak has done vfb ignite many times over the last several leagues. It’s good.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Tarnop posted:

You could try finding videos showcasing what the witchy skills look like/feel like to play and see if she goes "oh I like that one" to any of them, maybe she wants some flavor of elements, maybe minion horde, maybe a ranger with elemental weapon skills, maybe some kind of purpley chaos stuff.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
once ziz has the playlist of good builds to play for the new season put together i'd suggest she pick one out of that since they'll be good skills, have a brief showcase of how it works, and then usually a bunch of really good info about how to build it out into endgame

the other tried and true new player option is to just pick a skill and run with it blind until you start hitting walls. imo neither option is better, some people just prefer one or the other. in the current state of poe the latter is probably the least frustrating that it has ever been

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Dec 5, 2023

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Erulisse posted:

or let your friend try out the game without a fixed build, for the exploration and novelty sake

This is definitely the plan, I just want a fallback in case she gets frustrated or feels lost

Thanks for the suggestions everyone

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Yeah if they're mainly sticking to acts/campaign, let them experiment with all the different spells. I wouldn't worry too much about a build guide for a first playthrough unless they want to push hard into maps.

I think it's more important to learn general mechanics like socketing/linking gems, how to path in the skill tree, increased vs more, etc.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
The best thing you can do for a friend besides advice is offer up some uniques if they're struggling in campaign (*cough* Aurumvorax *cough*), and especially Regret orbs; the refund points from the campaign aren't really enough for someone to afford more than a minor correction.

This game can definitely information-overload casual players, so let them go at their own pace.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Cold Snap of Power may have effectively no cooldown when you put PCoC Support on it, but it doesn't have the Damage over Time Chilled Ground that the base gem has. It looks vaguely similar to Fireball in its raw DPS considering that. The high base crit chance is what makes it good, then?

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Someone asked about Whispering Ice, which is a build I love probably more than it deserves. I have only really been casually following the new stuff for this league (I got other poo poo to play, plus they killed mah boy Tane) but I think it's probably still approximately as good as ever (which is to say it's, you know, okay). Vortex not being an instant-cast any more is a bit of an inconvenience though since you can't just drop them for basically free extra damage while cycloning around.

It was traditionally a Scion build but I think the Occultist and Trickster variants are now better in every way. Expect it to be pretty good at mapping and just kind of okay at single-target (though rising to the high ranks of "really really okay" if you run two Whispering Ices specced differently). It runs Purity of Elements and CI and being immune to elemental ailments and chaos damage trivializes a surprising amount of otherwise-lethal stuff (it's basically what made the Archnemesis age tolerable for me), and its other main defensive layer is a poo poo-ton of energy shield leech and (depending on how you build it) everything in a three-mile radius being frozen and/or exploded.

It's an int-stacking build so expect to hit a gearing wall fairly quick unless you're either really good at farming currency or Frank Frank levels of lucky.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

McFrugal posted:

Cold Snap of Power may have effectively no cooldown when you put PCoC Support on it, but it doesn't have the Damage over Time Chilled Ground that the base gem has. It looks vaguely similar to Fireball in its raw DPS considering that. The high base crit chance is what makes it good, then?

AOE overlap mechanics + base crit + relatively short cast time for QOL

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

If you are brand new I can’t recommend enough guardian. Just get some minion damage and life nodes and sentinel of radiance will carry you

to get through the first lab you cam use absolution which is a level 12 skill

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Help me decide between SRS Guardian and Boneshatter Sentinel. I played Cold DoT last league and that kind of "wade through monsters and do aoe damage" style appeals to me. But so does summoning an army of flaming skulls to chew my enemies to death.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
I’d say go Boneshatter just to try an attack build and be on the lower half of the tree for variety

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

AOE overlap mechanics + base crit + relatively short cast time for QOL

Not as significant, but being a base cold spell for big chills/freezes is also huge for defense. A cherry on top for a skill that looks numerically insane.

Since it already encourages power charge stacking, idk what they’re thinking with setting base crit at 10%. It’ll be trivial to crit cap relative to other spells.

What ascendancy are y’all thinking? Occultist and Assassin instantly come to mind just for more Power Charge scaling. I could see Inquis, Ele, or Hiero being possibilities as well though. Outside shot even Raider or PF could make it work. Could run Badge of the Brotherhood for frenzy or maybe Inner Conviction to juice up the power charges even more. Tons of possibilities.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
It's that time before league where I'm second guessing myself and just randomly clicking things in PoE Planner to see if I accidentally stumble into a genius interaction*

*I did not

shazbot
Sep 20, 2004
Ah, hon, ya got arby's all over my acoustic wave machine.
Is there any reason EAB elementalist isn’t a straight up boost? Thinkin about maybe doing that for the next 30 seconds til I change my mind

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

i really wanna do some kind of discharge of misery wild strike coc build

somebody stop me

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

euphronius posted:

If you are brand new I can’t recommend enough guardian. Just get some minion damage and life nodes and sentinel of radiance will carry you

to get through the first lab you cam use absolution which is a level 12 skill

Is this a good guide for what you are suggesting?

https://www.reddit.com/r/PathOfExileBuilds/comments/18agxtp/subtractems_srs_guardian_league_start_guide/

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Traitorous Leopard posted:

Not as significant, but being a base cold spell for big chills/freezes is also huge for defense. A cherry on top for a skill that looks numerically insane.

Since it already encourages power charge stacking, idk what they’re thinking with setting base crit at 10%. It’ll be trivial to crit cap relative to other spells.

What ascendancy are y’all thinking? Occultist and Assassin instantly come to mind just for more Power Charge scaling. I could see Inquis, Ele, or Hiero being possibilities as well though. Outside shot even Raider or PF could make it work. Could run Badge of the Brotherhood for frenzy or maybe Inner Conviction to juice up the power charges even more. Tons of possibilities.

I think the classic Occultist power charge stacker is the default setup, but it also probably has the damage to go with a more defensive ascendancy/build. Heiro/trickster/pf. Inq and rear end seem a bit overkill for how easy it should be to crit cap, unless you're trying to COC it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I'm eyeballing this one but also thinking about poison SRS, which I haven't found a build guide for yet