Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

Silver Alicorn posted:

not even like on a PlayStation or whatever. Im an SDF user :smug:

goondolances

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
hey, it’s a Unix shell I can access from anywhere that has ssh or telex. what more do you want

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

big sexy dick

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

Silver Alicorn posted:

what more do you want

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I guess you could ask for faster email. I forget why it’s so slow

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Silver Alicorn posted:

not even like on a PlayStation or whatever. Im an SDF user :smug:

sam dankman fried?

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

bad software decision

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
brick some devices

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

buncha sad dorks

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

wow

Rooney McNibnug
Sep 2, 2008

"Life always hopes. When a definite object cannot be outlined, the indomitable spirit of hope still impels the living mass to move toward something--something that shall somehow be better."
blessed by the blowfish

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I'm logged in to SDF right this very moment

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

berkeley systems development

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

busted poo poo distribution

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
ball suckin' dilfs

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

ball suckin' dilfs

:hmmyes:

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

basic systems dweebs

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

ball suckin' dilfs

relatable content

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
i use bsd every day!!!

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

boner shocking device

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Silver Alicorn posted:

I use NetBSD on a regular basis!

:same:

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Silver Alicorn posted:

hey, it’s a Unix shell I can access from anywhere that has ssh or telex. what more do you want

you could use SDF’s TOPS-20 system which runs on real PDP-10 compatible hardware

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I don’t know what that means

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
baffling system design

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

my bsd system has been running fine and has needed no troubleshooting in a long time

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

why do you have a big swinging dick system bloody?

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

freenas

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Silver Alicorn posted:

I don’t know what that means

It's a big computer from the 70s covered in switches and blinkenlights running one of the proprietary operating systems that got bulldozed by unix in the 80s

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

neat

Rooney McNibnug
Sep 2, 2008

"Life always hopes. When a definite object cannot be outlined, the indomitable spirit of hope still impels the living mass to move toward something--something that shall somehow be better."
did a sysupgrade today and it reminded me that install/upgrade is still the least painless on OpenBSD compared to all the other operating systems i have to janitor

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
im a basic bitch, if i wanted to mess with some bsd in 2024 is there dece compatibility with proton

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
yeah freebsd will work

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
open and free bsd makes me assume there must also be a libre bsd by now because the thing the open source community is best at is forking existing projects to be more pure and the thing it's second best at is reusing the same embarrassing epithets of every other open source project

Neslepaks
Sep 3, 2003

Rooney McNibnug posted:

did a sysupgrade today and it reminded me that install/upgrade is still the least painless on OpenBSD compared to all the other operating systems i have to janitor

i have the exact opposite opinion and i built a whole ansible bootstrap thing to install openbsd vms so i can just replace them and never have to upgrade an openbsd ever again

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

gabensraum posted:

open and free bsd makes me assume there must also be a libre bsd by now because the thing the open source community is best at is forking existing projects to be more pure and the thing it's second best at is reusing the same embarrassing epithets of every other open source project
linux is very forkophilic, yes - and this has had a somewhat oursized effect on other parts of the opensource community, but the bsds are kinda the exception

they don't tend to fork unless there's a serious ideological schism and some people really don't get along as a result; see deraadt creating openbsd after his commit bit got taken away for netbsd, and dillon creating dragonflybsd after his commit bit got taken away for freebsd

most of the rest are basically just consuming one of the bsds and treating it like linux distributions treat linux - but they're kinda rare and usually have a very small committer count

Neslepaks posted:

i have the exact opposite opinion and i built a whole ansible bootstrap thing to install openbsd vms so i can just replace them and never have to upgrade an openbsd ever again
my install process for freebsd consists of ipxe booting an image, partitioning the disk, creating a zpool, and grabbing a zfs replication stream with the entire os as well as boot environments for updates plus whatever custom software i included in the image when i built it.
after that, i just set which boot environment i want to boot into (typically the newest one), and reboot once.

once it comes time to upgrade, i grab the newest replication stream, and reboot once.

if any install or upgrade fails, the system will usually bring itself back up into a working state (or back to the installer) thanks to watchdogd(8) or an IPMI watchdog

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Feb 24, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rooney McNibnug
Sep 2, 2008

Neslepaks posted:

I mean, this is cool to