Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Gavok posted:

I checked the last few pages, but didn't see anyone bring up the Specialest Edition of the Star Wars OT.

https://twitter.com/heyitswindy/status/1764052027800211493

I thought this was an internet comedy sketch at first, but nope! Apparently very real. There are more examples on YouTube.

tacodaemon posted:

Posted by @owainanderson on twitter today:

https://i.imgur.com/yWN98Dn.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp
https://twitter.com/lukeisamazing/status/1764839018355720630?t=7HG74yK1wW2A3BjBxh8qKQ&s=19

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Mace swapped out the Skywalker orphans with palpatines clones before Kenobi arrived to watch over them. They lead uneventful normal lives

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
Mace would have survived the fall if he'd taken the time to enjoy the refreshing taste of

CERVEZA CRISTAL

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
The Mace Windu Mace Windiscussion highlights a tendency to see characterization almost-purely in terms of performance and costuming. It's something I noted with the ST fandom, where people would be a fan of "Rey" or "FN" but they actually mean "Daisy Ridley looking conflicted" or "John Boyega acting dorky in a leather jacket" - largely ignoring what the characters actually say or do. (This tendency is what makes shipping super-duper easy: Rey is attracted to FN because he's dorky, and she's conflicted, but he sees the truth about her feelings for him, etc. poo poo writes itself.)

In the Star Wars movies, Mace Windu is the voice of the Jedi Council, and consequently de facto leader of the prequel-era Jedi Order (though dialogue and context imply that all the council members are speaking 'through' him, to some extent, as a collective). So, Windu is the personification of the Jedi Order, in the same way Padme "is" Republican idealism. And, as with Padme, Windu's death marks the point where the Order ends and the exiled versions of Yoda and Obiwan emerge. Muppet Yoda and Alec Guinness.

So, any story of Mace Windu's survival is automatically the story of the Jedi Order's survival - unless you do more of a Booka Boba character study thing. Like, you examine who Mace Windu is, as a person, without the Jedi Order that previously defined him. Even then, Booka Boba is largely about this inner conflict between Boba Fett as bounty hunter and Boba Fett as Tusken. It's not a Darth Vader situation where you have the emergence of a radical new self from the death of the old self; it's Boba's bungled attempts at reconciling these two aspects of his identity (e.g. his disastrous attempt at turning the Tuskens into a gang and shaking down an interplanetary criminal empire). So, what are you trying to say there?

As it happens, this is why the "I am all the Jedi!!!" moment in Episode 9 doesn't land. Mace Windu's one of the voices, but what the hell does that mean?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
By my count, upwards of 20 Jedi survived the entirety of the Emperor’s 20-odd year reign, and over half of them fought Darth Vader to a stalemate or better at some point during that time.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Jehde posted:

I think most fans of Star Wars would be fine with dead characters staying dead. Disney has purple lightsabers to sell though :capitalism:

The only person this is probably true for is Palpatine. And maybe for Star Wars fans every sequel trilogy character (I don’t agree).

But bring back idk plo koon? Nerds would lick that slop up

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
Mace goes through a convoluted plot involving Kid Lando or whoever, ending up back against Palpatine and Vader and they reenact their confrontation in its entirety.

He's thrown through a window again.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

But then flies back up.

“Yes, I fly now. Mother fucker”

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

So, any story of Mace Windu's survival is automatically the story of the Jedi Order's survival

Yeah about that lol

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

The Tales of the Jedi cartoon nicely deals with Mace as the personification of the Jedi Order's flaws. There's an episode where Mace and Dooku are both up for a seat on the Jedi Council, and over the course of the episode, Dooku begins to realize that the Jedi are basically glorified enforcers for the rich and powerful. Mace just says "yeah, but if you just do as you're told and don't think about that stuff, there's no problem", and ends up getting the Council seat.

Since that's a Filoni show, hopefully he knows that it's thematically important for Mace to get absolutely eliminated by Palpatine and wouldn't be the guy to spearhead an effort to bring him back.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Bring on Tarantino for the Windu show. He’s done making movies after this next film but he’s down to make tv shows

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The Jedi are extinct; their fire has gone out of the universe. Darth Vader (Tarkin's friend) is all that remains of their religion.

So what you do with the story of Mace Windu is make it the story of all the Jedi who survived Order 66 but not the subsequent purges. Every episode, another Jedi is murdered by Darth Vader, as they try to rally to their leader who is rumored to have survived. The twist: it was a honeypot operation all along, with one of Palpatine's other little weirdo hangers-on doing mad science to his actual mostly-corpse in order to fabricate bait for Jedi loyalists.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Bongo Bill posted:

The Jedi are extinct; their fire has gone out of the universe. Darth Vader (Tarkin's friend) is all that remains of their religion.

So what you do with the story of Mace Windu is make it the story of all the Jedi who survived Order 66 but not the subsequent purges. Every episode, another Jedi is murdered by Darth Vader, as they try to rally to their leader who is rumored to have survived. The twist: it was a honeypot operation all along, with one of Palpatine's other little weirdo hangers-on doing mad science to his actual mostly-corpse in order to fabricate bait for Jedi loyalists.

I remember Rebels doing something like this with a stasis chamber and a Jedi for bait.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

he cant be tossed out a window if he wears one under his robe

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

So, any story of Mace Windu's survival is automatically the story of the Jedi Order's survival - unless you do more of a Booka Boba character study thing.

Imagine they do this but instead of doing the Boba thing where they make a story about the most feared bounty hunter in the galaxy being a very friendly and upstanding business owner they go hard in the opposite direction and its about Mace being a total psychopath, just doing war crimes and executing surrendering stormtroopers and the like

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Hey wait if they're both still alive they can finally resolve him killing Boba's dad in AOTC

It could be the most sedate Disney+ event since the last Disney+ series that happened

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

jisforjosh posted:

I remember Rebels doing something like this with a stasis chamber and a Jedi for bait.

Yeah they did it with Luminara (whose outlook on the Jedi was fairly similar to Mace').

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

The Mace Windu Mace Windiscussion highlights a tendency to see characterization almost-purely in terms of performance and costuming. It's something I noted with the ST fandom, where people would be a fan of "Rey" or "FN" but they actually mean "Daisy Ridley looking conflicted" or "John Boyega acting dorky in a leather jacket" - largely ignoring what the characters actually say or do. (This tendency is what makes shipping super-duper easy: Rey is attracted to FN because he's dorky, and she's conflicted, but he sees the truth about her feelings for him, etc. poo poo writes itself.)

In the Star Wars movies, Mace Windu is the voice of the Jedi Council, and consequently de facto leader of the prequel-era Jedi Order (though dialogue and context imply that all the council members are speaking 'through' him, to some extent, as a collective). So, Windu is the personification of the Jedi Order, in the same way Padme "is" Republican idealism. And, as with Padme, Windu's death marks the point where the Order ends and the exiled versions of Yoda and Obiwan emerge. Muppet Yoda and Alec Guinness.

So, any story of Mace Windu's survival is automatically the story of the Jedi Order's survival - unless you do more of a Booka Boba character study thing. Like, you examine who Mace Windu is, as a person, without the Jedi Order that previously defined him. Even then, Booka Boba is largely about this inner conflict between Boba Fett as bounty hunter and Boba Fett as Tusken. It's not a Darth Vader situation where you have the emergence of a radical new self from the death of the old self; it's Boba's bungled attempts at reconciling these two aspects of his identity (e.g. his disastrous attempt at turning the Tuskens into a gang and shaking down an interplanetary criminal empire). So, what are you trying to say there?

As it happens, this is why the "I am all the Jedi!!!" moment in Episode 9 doesn't land. Mace Windu's one of the voices, but what the hell does that mean?

To this end, a movie about Mace Windu doing Darth Vader's job before the clone wars would be neat.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Robot Style posted:

The Tales of the Jedi cartoon nicely deals with Mace as the personification of the Jedi Order's flaws. There's an episode where Mace and Dooku are both up for a seat on the Jedi Council, and over the course of the episode, Dooku begins to realize that the Jedi are basically glorified enforcers for the rich and powerful. Mace just says "yeah, but if you just do as you're told and don't think about that stuff, there's no problem", and ends up getting the Council seat.

Since that's a Filoni show, hopefully he knows that it's thematically important for Mace to get absolutely eliminated by Palpatine and wouldn't be the guy to spearhead an effort to bring him back.

The specific circumstances of Windu’s death are important, though, since the very basic reason he went to confront Palpatine is that he realized (to some extent) that his “Political Pragmatism” had failed - ultimately aligning himself with the “Political Idealism” of Count Dooku. Windu's failure is double: the change in his ideology precedes his physical death, and it's in death that he joins Dooku. This concept recurs in the ST, where Leia’s neofeudal Resistance / messianic cult is kinda fundamentally Dookuist (or even further to the right of him) - persisting for some time after the more openly dysfunctional New Republic.

(It's why the Lizzo episode of Manderlorian is in the top three for the show, as it happens. Dooku’s vision of Jedi rule haunts everything.)

So, Windu does return - as the character played by Mark Hamill in Episode 8: The Last Jedi. If the one-armed man Rey meets is an elderly Sam Jackson, everything about the character immediately makes a ton of sense:

-His clinging to the last vestiges of the Jedi Order while insisting it must die with him.
-The great sin that led to his self-exile despite a heroic reputation.
-His withdrawl from any form of politics, and rejection of the New Republic.
-His role in the creation/empowerment of the baddies (in a botched preemptive strike, even).
-The missing arm!

Somebody deep-fake Samuel L. Jackson into Last Jedi, is what I’m saying.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Mar 6, 2024

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

jisforjosh posted:

Yeah, pretty sure there's a few EU things about the Empire having a pretty active operation to hunt the remaining Jedi. I'm also pretty sure the Inquisitors were themselves purged once they were no longer considered needed.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Yeah, pretty sure there's a few EU things about the Empire having a pretty active operation to hunt the remaining Jedi. I'm also pretty sure the Inquisitors were themselves purged once they were no longer considered needed.

I think they just stopped replacing them / getting new ones. Most of the ones we know about got killed by Jedi (or Maul).

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Understandable, they really sucked.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

General Dog posted:

What if Mace Windu could just be dead? Like, I don't think I need more from that character than "he was by all accounts a hell of a fighter who wasn't quite sharp enough to play chess with Palpatine, and so he died."

As long as something happened to him that is more serious than being thrown into a battleship's reactor or being chopped in half, demonstrably survivable events, I'm on board

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Wolfsheim posted:

Imagine they do this but instead of doing the Boba thing where they make a story about the most feared bounty hunter in the galaxy being a very friendly and upstanding business owner they go hard in the opposite direction and its about Mace being a total psychopath, just doing war crimes and executing surrendering stormtroopers and the like

This is what I'd like to see. I thought his whole thing was that he wasn't pure Jedi but part Sith as well so an old and bitter Mace that's kinda been Vader'd and had a lot of his body replaced just giving in to the dark side while pursuing revenge would be refreshing. Maybe not the cheery story everyone would like but it would be interesting to see the former Jedi leader succumb to the dark side and get really close to killing Sheev & Vader before inevitably losing, ideally in a very brutal way where he's gone full Sith before he gets hacked to pieces :twisted: Whoever mentioned Tarantino was a good pick, even if Disney would never approve it. Would need a good cast of inquisitors or whatever for him to slaughter and torture on his way as well, like Takeshi Kitano, Nic Cage & Charlie Sheen :hmmyes:

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

SUNKOS posted:

I thought his whole thing was that he wasn't pure Jedi but part Sith as well

That's an old fan theory that stems entirely from him having a purple lightsaber (because bad guys have red lightsabers and good guys have blue lightsabers and purple is a mix of both, but also let's just ignore green).

The EU latched onto it after an article in a Star Wars magazine tried to come up with explanations for how the random flailings of the Jedi extras in Episode II were actually all very unique and powerful styles of lightsaber combat. Mace Windu as assigned "Form VII":

Star Wars Insider #62 posted:

Form VII draws upon a deeper well of emotion than even Form V, yet masters it more fully. The outward bearing of a Form VII practitioner is one of calm, but the inner pressure verges on explosion.
[...]
This spiritually dangerous regimen cuts perilously close to the Sith intensity of focus on physical combat ability. Mace Windu is one of the only current practitioners of Form VII.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
"Is it possible to learn the Corkscrew Jump Attack?"

"Not from a Jedi."

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

It's called the Corkscrew Jump poo poo™

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I like "Windu is part good part evil and that's why his lightsaber is purple" because it's extrapolating worldbuilding from visual design and the actor's history, no exposition required

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

SUNKOS posted:

This is what I'd like to see. I thought his whole thing was that he wasn't pure Jedi but part Sith as well

"Part Sith" is not precisely accurate; Windu's whole deal is that he kinda agrees with Palpatine that "the Sith and the Jedi are similar in almost every way, including their quest for greater power" - and, therefore, his goal is to maintain 'reasonable' limits on that great power. There is no light side, per se - only the degree to which one engages with the universal darkness.

In Episode 2, Mace insists that "[Dooku] couldn't assassinate anyone; it's not in his character". But, when the chips are down, he resorts to assassinating Palpatine because "he's too dangerous to be left alive." I've gone over earlier how Palpatine actually feeds on Mace's aggression in that scene, where the ethical choice would've been to throw away the sword (as Luke does later).

This is not a case of "impurity", though, as if Windu fails to be Jedi enough. The basic joke is that Windu - being a "guardian and peace and justice" - attempts to "secure a peaceful transition" to a new Chancellor via an extralegal assassination. He is a pure Jedi, and dies as a result of the contradiction.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Mar 6, 2024

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I’d like to take this moment to quote my single favorite SMG Star Wars take of all time.

*pelted with garbage and bottles*

Yes, yes, I know, but I’m going to do it anyway.

This has probably fallen into archives because it’s from like eight years ago. (yes I’m weird I save poo poo)

Here's the issue: in Force Awakens, nobody gives a poo poo that Rey closes her eyes. It's like "eh, whatever?"

In Phantom Menace, Jar Jar steps on a piece of poo poo and it's insanely popular.

There's an immense amount of debate around Jar Jar getting poo poo on his foot. People have debated this for over a decade. Why does the poo poo-joke fascinate, while Abram's "powerful message of faith(?)" draws shrugs? The simple fact is that the poo poo-joke is extremely well-crafted. Lucas is so slick that people don't realize the full extent of the joke, even though it's burrowed into their psyches:

The part where Jar Jar actually steps on the poo poo is just the setup. The punchline comes at the end of the film, when Jar Jar steps on a corpse and it 'springs to life', beginning to fire randomly. This is precisely how Lucas defines "The Force": it is a piece of poo poo that attaches itself to you, terrifying you, indifferent to your concerns.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

After watching clone wars I admit I'm a jar jar apologist. I think for most people clone wars just cemented their hate for jar jar though.

The other gungans were more egregious IMO

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

What do you mean TFA came out in 2015

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Windu is not a great guy and earned his just deserts

He literally does nothing good ever in the films afaict

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
Mace was a good guy and a great man, but not a great guy or a good man

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo

MrMojok posted:

I’d like to take this moment to quote my single favorite SMG Star Wars take of all time.

This has probably fallen into archives because it’s from like eight years ago. (yes I’m weird I save poo poo)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4P9LX54Yaus

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Robot Style posted:

That's an old fan theory that stems entirely from him having a purple lightsaber (because bad guys have red lightsabers and good guys have blue lightsabers and purple is a mix of both, but also let's just ignore green).

The EU latched onto it after an article in a Star Wars magazine tried to come up with explanations for how the random flailings of the Jedi extras in Episode II were actually all very unique and powerful styles of lightsaber combat. Mace Windu as assigned "Form VII":

I'm not a big enough fan to know about EU stuff (aside from a funny Vader comic panel I saw somewhere) and my appreciation is hollow, I just like the cool/weird things in these films e.g. unironically thought Serkis as Snoke was a fun character and Yoda being a combat frog is amazing and so on. The whole reason I thought Windu was like that (and therefore particularly interesting) stemmed from that whole "Did Windu really have Sheev beat?" debate thingy where Lucas commented that Windu turning Sheev into bacon by frying him with his own lightning was because he studied the dark side too and any other Jedi would have lost. Or something? It's been a long time but I just vaguely recall that and thinking Windu was more interesting because of it. Maybe Lucas didn't say that though and I'm thinking of something else? I know it's a tired debate though and don't intend to open that whole can of worms again.

euphronius posted:

Windu is not a great guy and earned his just deserts

He literally does nothing good ever in the films afaict

That's why he's fun imo and angry mean Windu torturing some clueless inquisitor for Sheev's whereabouts and asking if he looks like a crispy bitch would be high art :hmmyes:

Psyche out Vader for always craving bacon when in the presence of his master. Also need Windu being thrown down a large shaft or blown out into space only to walk on the surface of the destroyer and bang on the window silently mouthing "motherfucker" before cutting his way back in with his lightsaber and leaving Sheev exasperated with how to actually kill the dude. Vader breathing even heavier than usual, "Shiiiiiiiit..."

This isn't ridiculous because Leia already did it.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

MrMojok posted:

That's good, though nothing beats "call Mace Windu the N word" or the time he got probated for a weirdly sexual post about Sonic The Hedgehog eating chili dogs

E: lmao

That's nothing more than the Hedgehog/Prower phenomenon of ostensibly adult characters engaged in prolonged and intense bouts of presexual intimacy.

FN and Poe - despite being twenty- and thirty-somethings, respectively - are several steps behind Matthew Broderick's teen hacker in Wargames, who tentatively explores how it feels to take his shirt off in front of a girl.

For fans, the actual erotic appeal comes from the fact that Sonic The Hedgehog does not gently caress. Ever. He achieves full satisfaction just by staring at you with his massive hypersensitive eyes, and passionately filling his rounded belly with chilidogs. Poe and FN, likewise, will never move beyond hugging and trying on eachothers' clothes. They have no need to.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

quote:

Don't ever post about Sonic again. User loses posting privileges for 3 days.

2house2fly fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Mar 7, 2024

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

There are many things worth reading on the internet

Not sure if that was one of them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kharn_The_Betrayer
Nov 15, 2013

Fun Shoe

Vinylshadow posted:

There are many things worth reading on the internet