Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Video Nasty posted:

cyberbra but it just chops yer tits off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG
in the end this is (again) elon longing back for apartheid south africa.

they gave up nuclear weapons because they didn't want their oppressed black population to get their hands on nukes if they'd ever take over

shackleford
Sep 4, 2006

it's also not really true (unless he's talking about WWII or 1980's south africa style warheads), for instance the U.S. forgot how to make one of the required materials after a mere 11 years of being out of production and had to reverse engineer the process at great expense

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fogbank

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

shackleford posted:

it's also not really true (unless he's talking about WWII or 1980's south africa style warheads), for instance the U.S. forgot how to make one of the required materials after a mere 11 years of being out of production and had to reverse engineer the process at great expense

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fogbank

There is a difference between minimum viable product, so to speak, and the later advanced thermonuclear bombs.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
yeah. Like its not something you do on a whim but making a clone of something like fat man or little boy is not super challenging except for the materials.

if you dont care a lot about minimal size or maximal yield nuclear warheads are fairly straightforward items.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

like everything elon musk says, it is barely true in a deliberately evasive way.

it is true that it's not very difficult to make a little boy-type uranium gun bomb if you have access to "modern materials" (i.e. weapons-grade highly enriched uranium). the bomb itself is simple ballistics that a well equipped terrorist/revolutionary organization, something like aum shinrikyo, could probably pull off. hence why the nations of the world are so concerned about keeping track of HEU.

of course, creating HEU is extraordinarily difficult and it costs billions of dollars to spin up enough for a bomb from scratch. so no, it is not realistic to be concerned that "anyone" could make a nuclear weapon, unless there's an etsy store i don't know about selling dozens of kilograms of artisanal weapons-grade uranium.

creating anything more advanced than a gun-type weapon, including a fat man style implosion bomb (which is required to use plutonium) and any form of thermonuclear weapon, requires a national-scale nuclear science program and extensive engineering ability even beyond getting the nuclear material.

let's guess what he's actually trying to say here, though. i'm guessing it's dogwhistle fearmongering that hamas is going to get the bomb, to eventually be used as justification for israel nuking gaza.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Personally, I would save time & cost by developing a modern fusion weapon directly, and not waste effort on obsolete designs.

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022
is elon talking about little boys again

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

Sagebrush posted:

let's guess what he's actually trying to say here, though. i'm guessing it's dogwhistle fearmongering that hamas is going to get the bomb, to eventually be used as justification for israel nuking gaza.

hes pitching his services to whoever will bite

i cant wait for myanmar or venezuela to get a tesla brand nuke with all of the quality and top notch engineering that name implies

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

@nmaduro Historically nuclear weapons design is multi year process, but can be achieved in under 6 months by leveraging Grok AI + Tesla manufacturing. Creating nuclear fuel is solved problem & not a concern. Venezuela will be nuclear power by end of year

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

he's gonna start on a "we can terraform mars by nuking it" thing just wait

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

yeah, the problem isn’t building a device, it’s weaponizing it.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

I would start by shoving Plutonium down Musk's throat.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

gschmidl posted:

I would start by shoving Plutonium down Musk's throat.

What a fate for some innocent radionuclides.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
a hollow plutonium sphere and some clever application of detcord is probably enough these days

also IIRC modern warheads are neither size- nor weight-optimized in most cases, only constrained; the cleverness is in the safety features as well as maximizing density

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

he's gonna start on a "we can terraform mars by nuking it" thing just wait

might be misremembering a common sense sceptic video but I'm pretty sure he has unironically espoused this plan multiple times in the past

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Sagebrush posted:

almost

we're about two exchanges away from israel nuking iran, or at least strikes on their nuclear facilities

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

It's actually really hard to build a nuke even a lovely one. Weapons grade fissile material is an order of magnitude harder to enrich than reactor fuel. Then you still need physicists skilled enough to understand how explosions work and build a conventional explosive bomb that will implode the material fast enough to trigger the fission event. Even if a supervillain handed you a box of enrich fissile material the average person could not build a nuke with "household items" and YouTube or whatever. At best you'd probably make a dirty bomb and despite the fever dreams of Bush era war criminals, rinkydinky terrorists aren't detonating these regularly nobody is handing suitcases of enriched material.

Elon isn't even "technically correct", he's just wrong and an idiot.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

on the other hand musk has proven himself an expert in accidentally improvised explosives

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

maxwellhill posted:

is elon talking about little boys again

and his compact tubes for them, yes

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

idk he's more of a fat man if you ask me

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

Koesj posted:

the cleverness is in the safety features

this sounds like a classic elon market disruption opportunity

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

how long until tesla earnings are announced?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

the call is apparently 17:30 eastern, so around then I think

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Was wondering about the odometer stuff, and it's not the first time it's come up. Tesla odometers have been fucky in a fun variety of ways for quite a long time now. It just seems like now it's getting more attention.

(These posts go back to 2019.)

lol

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

Fiedler posted:

this sounds like a classic elon market disruption opportunity

bomb guesses detonation conditions

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Plank Walker posted:

bomb guesses detonation conditions

so dark star then:
https://youtu.be/h73PsFKtIck?si=k4o2In-MYFsEHVYV

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

mrmcd posted:

It's actually really hard to build a nuke even a lovely one. Weapons grade fissile material is an order of magnitude harder to enrich than reactor fuel. Then you still need physicists skilled enough to understand how explosions work and build a conventional explosive bomb that will implode the material fast enough to trigger the fission event. Even if a supervillain handed you a box of enrich fissile material the average person could not build a nuke with "household items" and YouTube or whatever. At best you'd probably make a dirty bomb and despite the fever dreams of Bush era war criminals, rinkydinky terrorists aren't detonating these regularly nobody is handing suitcases of enriched material.

the only weapons grade to consider when it comes to Elon, is how much of a weapons grade dickhead he is.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

mrmcd posted:

to me it reads like the classic Silicon Valley idea guy dismissiveness of real world engineering.

it would be right at home in a TedX talk.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Find replace “nuke” with “electric car” and it is still accurate

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

looking very swollen with potential here sir! great job!

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
elon, looking in the mirror, clutching his 'emotional support animal' X: "not so difficult to build fat man and little boy with modern materials"

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

mrmcd posted:

a dirty bomb is exceedingly easy to build. the problem is, as everyone else has pointed out, getting the materials

even the "bad" governments have been pretty good at the whole "keeping nuclear material extremely difficult to get" thing, except maybe in some places like that village in kazakhstan or whatever that the USSR used for nuclear testing and as a result everyone and everything in it is radioactive. but those places are obviously very dangerous to begin with

e: and a dirty bomb would be more than enough to achieve whatever terrorist objectives you might have etc. there's no need for a HEU nuke unless you really want to wipe a place out

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Apr 23, 2024

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless

somebody shop this into the infamous bigfoot shot.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Shifty Pony posted:

to me it reads like the classic Silicon Valley idea guy dismissiveness of real world engineering.

it would be right at home in a TedX talk.

that plus the futurist mindset of treating technological progress like a videogame tech tree, so if it was hard in the 20th century then it must be easy now because we're so much smarter and higher-tech now

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

TerminalRaptor posted:

maybe a cybertruck in the foreground instead of the pile of rocks

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

TerminalRaptor posted:

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
I think something broke on Twitter this morning because all retweets were prefaced with the old Manual way of "RT @handle", and when I went to post it would say something went wrong, and when I hit Retry it would say "you already posted that!" lol