Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
I legit cannot figure out the difficulty curve even on normal in 2, and I beat every single campaign in the first one on very hard. What does the flow of a high elf game look like for those of you who have had any success in one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

NeurosisHead posted:

I legit cannot figure out the difficulty curve even on normal in 2, and I beat every single campaign in the first one on very hard. What does the flow of a high elf game look like for those of you who have had any success in one?

Playing about 60 turns of Tyrion, I seem to be doing quite well forging defensive alliances with all the High Elf nations (I took out Caledor and allowed Yvresse to lay the smackdown on Saphery) and using influence and gifts to make sure things stay friendly. Now I'm in the southlands burning down vampire poo poo. After that I'll probably sail around to Norsca, and then go to Naggaroth.

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!
What was in this mini-patch? It's messing with my mods!

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

By the way, I know a couple people had concerns about Lord Kroak being the next Legendary Lord since we already have a Slann LL, but don't worry, the way he works on the tabletop is totally unique. He's a max level wizard with the absolute lowest combat stats possible who knows only one spell with three levels, which does strong damage to every enemy unit in a small/medium/large radius around him. He's a literal death sphere that you protect with temple guard, which he makes unbreakable in the army. Too expensive to see serious play, but still a fun unique general

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

Gonkish posted:

So Morathi's start is kind of dumb. You can't get any trade agreements because the game doesn't understand how fords work and thus doesn't think anyone has a direct trade route to your capital. So trading is just not a thing that occurs initially, if at all.

On top of that, her options for initial expansion are limited, unless you want to go sailing to Tiranoc on turn 10. Of course, if you do that then you'll be exposed to the inevitable, inexorable, endless Hexoatl Lizardmen hell parade that marches north solely and specifically to gently caress you up.

Meanwhile Quintex is 8 slots, not 10, so you have to be especially picky about what you build and where. (Except it's really 7 because you absolutely want and need the unique building so your territory isn't constantly making GBS threads rebellions.) Oh and the province has multiple trade goods buildings... which are useless to you because you can't loving trade with anyone at all.

It's just a miserable start. I know now why that guy in the pre-release dark elves coop had so many issues with Morathi: it's a confluence of terrible all rolled into one start.

My first campaign was Very Hard Morathi and I felt it was pretty simple. Grab the province to the east and then you can either hellwar dark elves until you unite naggarond (there are tons of good landmarks up there so it's pretty worthwhile. Also you get frenzy on Morathi for beating Malekith! :v: ) or head south and take the mirror pools and then just do whatever because that should be enough to win the race if you gently caress with lothern a bit as well by taking one of the two ritual currency sites on Ulthuan. Starting so close to two different ritual currency settlements is extremely strong. Her public order/corruption building is much better than the regular Dark Elf one imo and that combined with the Quintex unique building makes public order easier to manage than for many other factions in my experience.

And you can trade by grabbing the port in the province just to the south of you.

e; if you take the mirror pool province then you can pretty much just keep a single stack in a walled up settlement there and that will be enough to deter the lizardmen since it's such a small chokepoint.

I'd honestly recommend that people try out a Morathi campaign just because of how dumb she gets later on. Not only because she is a great spellcaster (she definitely is) but because for some reason CA also decided to give her a mini-melee tree that arguably is the best melee tree in the game with huge resistances and passive debuffs. She's pretty much unkillable once you hit a certain point while zipping around at ridiculous speeds and charging down dragons.

Kainser fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Oct 10, 2017

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

By the way, I know a couple people had concerns about Lord Kroak being the next Legendary Lord since we already have a Slann LL, but don't worry, the way he works on the tabletop is totally unique. He's a max level wizard with the absolute lowest combat stats possible who knows only one spell with three levels, which does strong damage to every enemy unit in a small/medium/large radius around him. He's a literal death sphere that you protect with temple guard, which he makes unbreakable in the army. Too expensive to see serious play, but still a fun unique general

I hope they do Kroak and stick with him having one upgradable baller spell, but requiring constant temple guard supervision. Maybe have him buff up temple guard outside of unbreakable as well so they see a bit more use. I find it hard to justify spending two turns to recruit them when I can just summon up 6 stacks of shield lizards that do a similar job and hole the enemy in place while I smash them to powder with spells.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
Sounds like two units of darkshards would wreck his day. Dunno if that implementation would be fun.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

[quote="“Ammanas”" post="“477226291”"]
Sounds like two units of darkshards would wreck his day. Dunno if that implementation would be fun.
[/quote]

He had a big 3+ ward save and an item that reduced the accuracy of everyone trying to hit him, but yes archer spam was a good way to deal with him

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Gonkish posted:

So Morathi's start is kind of dumb. You can't get any trade agreements because the game doesn't understand how fords work and thus doesn't think anyone has a direct trade route to your capital. So trading is just not a thing that occurs initially, if at all.

On top of that, her options for initial expansion are limited, unless you want to go sailing to Tiranoc on turn 10. Of course, if you do that then you'll be exposed to the inevitable, inexorable, endless Hexoatl Lizardmen hell parade that marches north solely and specifically to gently caress you up.

Meanwhile Quintex is 8 slots, not 10, so you have to be especially picky about what you build and where. (Except it's really 7 because you absolutely want and need the unique building so your territory isn't constantly making GBS threads rebellions.) Oh and the province has multiple trade goods buildings... which are useless to you because you can't loving trade with anyone at all.

It's just a miserable start. I know now why that guy in the pre-release dark elves coop had so many issues with Morathi: it's a confluence of terrible all rolled into one start.

Just kill the gently caress out of your dark elf neighbors to the east. You can't trade with them anyway and their four slot province is hugely important as a central base to either expand north or launch off to Ulthuan.

Her initial trade good buildings are actually quite nice because they provide significant bonuses to unit recruitment in that region early on, even if the actual trading is useless. I agree that they need to loving fix it, though, because the inability to trade if there's a little river in the way is the most CA thing possible.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Does Morathi show back up in the Dark Elf Ritual cutscenes? I kind of want to kill her/go rebuild the Shrine of Asuryan as Malekith, just for the fun twist of it. Would be weird if she keeps showing up though.

Truecon420
Jul 11, 2013

I like to tweet and live my life. Thank you.
Just completed Vortex Victory as Tyrion. Can I really still not make peace with the main lizardmen factions? That's really dumb, the ritual is already complete and it only permawarred after the 4th ritual or so.

Does anyone else have this? Can you make peace with opposing factions after vortex victory?

I also noticed that the domination victory requires me to kill the lizardmen factions. This also makes no sense, in TW1 for domination victory you usually just had to destroy both your main thematic faction and opposing order/chaos ones. Why do I need to rid the world of the main lizard dudes?

It's also making GBS threads that winning the vortex victory gives you -100 reputation with literally all factions. This doesn't make sense at all!!! But at least i can buy them off unlike permawarred factions

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

Rookersh posted:

Does Morathi show back up in the Dark Elf Ritual cutscenes? I kind of want to kill her/go rebuild the Shrine of Asuryan as Malekith, just for the fun twist of it. Would be weird if she keeps showing up though.

Morathi and Malekith both only show up at the beginning and the very end of the story. It was a bit weird to have Malekith show up to eat the vortex after Morathi had stabbed him to death on some desolate snowfield 100 turns earlier but I guess them having a complicated relationship is pretty canon vOv

e; also dark elf story spoilers RIP Felicion. I liked how you kept backtalking Morathi in the quests. :smith:

Kainser fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Oct 10, 2017

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

NeurosisHead posted:

Sea guards with shields and skirmisher mode off for your front line, archers behind, and artillery. Make everything run to you and arrow them to death. It works for awhile before the other sides get better units. You should be able to take land and build up to swordmasters, phoenix guards, dragons, and dragon princes.

Sea guards are archers that are also anti large shielded dudes so they are kinda hybrid. If you don't remember to turn off their skirmisher mode then your front line will run like little girls. They are ok in melee and don't shoot as good as archers. Archers stay good the entire time and you can upgrade them to better armor version later on. Starting armies really have a problem fighting you because everything is ranged and you mow them down. You would prob even put in some silver helms and get more out of this line up but that requires its own building while you could work up to the better units.

I missed it the first HE campaign that didn't go well but swordmasters even though they do not have shields they are protected from arrows by their deflection skill to deflect arrows from the front.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Oct 10, 2017

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

NeurosisHead posted:

Buy archers. Faceroll dudes. Buy more archers. Faceroll more dudes. Then buy some more archers. Continue facerolling. In my Teclis game I've only ever bought 2 melee troops, and they're just basic spearmen (okay, and some dragons for a quest fight). HE archers don't get more shooty as they increase in rank, so an army full of archers works pretty well. Seaguard are a nice replacement for your spearmen when you can afford them, but are actually slightly less shooty than basic archers. More importantly you can field two archers for the price of a single seaguard, so just keep buying archers until you have a full stack.

You can even focus fire down dinos with vanilla archers if you mass enough of them.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
Yeah, Dark Elves are just really good. I'm fine with Black Arcs counting as a lord for upkeep purposes because they're also mobile replenishment that you get without having to camp in a certain stance, on anything but the arc at least. Basically means you can just keep moving and sacking forever as long as it's near the coast, replenishing as you run/sail to the next target without losing any time.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
And that's a wrap for my Mazdamundi campaign.

Also, geez Maz really doesn't like Skaven:

I mean, yikes, that's pretty loving direct. :stare:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I mean he's right. They aren't in any of the plans. Some dickbag wizard made them when people were dumb enough to let him put a bell on top of their tower of babel.

Doesn't mean they aren't our perfect strong rat sons, though.

Truecon420
Jul 11, 2013

Magni posted:

And that's a wrap for my Mazdamundi campaign.

Also, geez Maz really doesn't like Skaven:

I mean, yikes, that's pretty loving direct. :stare:

After your vortex victory were you able to make peace with the High elves or any other of the 4 main races?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Truecon420 posted:

After your vortex victory were you able to make peace with the High elves or any other of the 4 main races?

You are in a permawar with them after it.

So do skaven also have to fight a skaven invasion for the last ritual? like the one that appears after 10 turns,

Truecon420
Jul 11, 2013

Tenzarin posted:

That's annoying, I want to make peace with the dino friends. They're an order faction!

Is there any mod to remove this??

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Truecon420 posted:

That's annoying, I want to make peace with the dino friends. They're an order faction!

I think you can make peace with your same race, I didn't try.

Truecon420
Jul 11, 2013

Tenzarin posted:

I think you can make peace with your same race, I didn't try.

That's good at least, thanks.

I did find this mod which only removes the final ritual's -100 diplo to all factions, which helps a bit.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1162896552

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
I finished my Tyrion campaign and have started a Mazdamundi one, because I kind of want to save the southlands until Tomb Kings or Araby are around, and I'm a bit Naggarothed out after my forever war against Malekith and the bloody norse.

Holy crud are saurus strong. The first blessed spawning mission I got was take 500 captives and it gave me the blessed saurus spawning, since Mazda already had a full stack (5 units of saurus, TG, Solar Engine, infinity javelin skinks), I gave them to my Second lord scar vet who had been capping empty settlements with his 2 cudgel and 2 javelin infantry. Went to war with the Orcs south of me and dark elves north got a bit feisty and came to invade.

Scar vet defeated a full stack of speaks and bows with 3 units blessed saurus and a tier one minor settlement garrison. Skinks are great for flanking and runing down archers (surprisingly combat effective for a 160 unit size) and the blessed Saurus are terrifying. 20 odd turns in and I've already won my first heroic victory.

I'm heading south and getting ready to crack open some sea boys with the cold ones.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

NeurosisHead posted:

Teclis is much less boring, play him

incidentally, for him the flow goes destroy your opening adversary using the wonders of archer focus fire, make friends with the spine of sotek dwarfs, send a lovely lord to go make contact with your jock brother via the ocean so you can have a beefy trading partner, take out Blood Hall Coven, then either go south through the desert towards Citadel of Dusk to try to get rid of Skrolk, or go north to try to take out Itza.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Tenzarin posted:

So do skaven also have to fight a skaven invasion for the last ritual? like the one that appears after 10 turns,

Yeah. There's a plot explanation for it though.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Tenzarin posted:

let me put it to you this way

what about the chain of events that leads you up to that point makes you think, for a second, that the plot-relevant elements of this exercise have any affection for the skaven as a whole

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Truecon420 posted:

Is there any mod to remove this??

You stole the vortex from them, etc etc.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador
Finally beat the campaign on hard as Queek. Things definitely picked up towards the end, to the point where I had to send Queek and a backup army north to take a Dark Elven ritual location two turns before they would have completed the final ritual. The surprise attack halfway through the final ritual came as a surprise, and it did a lot of damage. I lost a province and a half, and nearly had my final ritual interrupted by one stack that tried to sneak around my main army by sea. The final battle itself was easy in comparison to any other battle in the last 50 turns. The heal and damage vortex spells you get are absurd

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
If you have trouble with queek, make sure once you take a second capital city you pump that thing up to tier 3 or 4 with all the food you gained even if it puts you into the red because skaven desperately need their ranged firepower if they want to win harder fights and dumping your food into a big capital is saving you a lot of gold and time to get there normally.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

hooman posted:

and the blessed Saurus are terrifying

Now cast Harmonic Convergence on them :getin:.

The Lone Badger fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Oct 10, 2017

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Dumb question, what is the "sweet spot" for melee attack to hit vs melee defense consistently, how much bigger over the other will you want, +20 good or +50?

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

If I recall (I might not) chance to hit is base 40% + melee attack - melee defense. Minimum chance to hit is 10%, max is 90%. So it depends on who you're fighting.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Knobb Manwich posted:

If I recall (I might not) chance to hit is base 40% + melee attack - melee defense. Minimum chance to hit is 10%, max is 90%. So it depends on who you're fighting.

The summary I read from some pretty extensive testing was this. So anything up to +50 is increasing the damage your unit is doing by 1% per MA, and anything over +50 does nothing.

Similarly if your MD is 30+ higher than their MA no point buffing it because you don't get any gains.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
That's assuming hits from the front though, I believe models that get hit from the side or back only get a portion of their melee defence. Also vigor affects at least melee defence, not sure about attack.

NoNotTheMindProbe
Aug 9, 2010
pony porn was here
Does your house have stairs?

https://clips.twitch.tv/FaithfulWonderfulTroutOneHand

Mightypeon
Oct 10, 2013

Putin apologist- assume all uncited claims are from Russia Today or directly from FSB.

key phrases: Poor plucky little Russia, Spheres of influence, The West is Worse, they was asking for it.

Nephthys posted:

So if a Skink Chief runs out and assassinates one of my dudes is there any reason to reload the autosave or is it already locked in as suceeding every time?

If there is anything that throws an RNG you can savescum. For example, having your to be assasined dude assasin the Skink chief sounds like a pretty rad plan.
My understanding is that the next X or so RNG throws are fixed, since the Skink assasinated your guy, he had a pretty good throw, and you can try to use it. Of course, it is also quite feasible that someone who moves between you and that skink chief faction also uses RNG action, so directly nabbing the succesful Skink action may not be feasible.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Hero assassinations are dogshit. I kind of like the campaign objectives and poo poo but that hero stuff has always annoyed me. Hero actions should all be faction positive (like income, magic, constructions buffs, replenish troops, maybe buff an army in combat while in the region) while affecting the enemy should require battles.

E: except stuff like spread corruption or whatever. I guess you need to be able to kill that hero, but it's less poo poo assassinating a hero like that than an army general on a lucky roll.

JBP fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Oct 10, 2017

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Wonder who's gonna be the High Elf dlc legendary lord. Allariele is the heavy hitter in terms of story, but I dunno what would make her that different from Teclis. Give her only healing/buffs? Also her hair is stupid.

Alith Anar would work as a bow hero, to split the difference between Teclis and Tyrion, but no shadow warriors. Problem for the rest of them is they don't really stand out, and Caradyn is mute, so that seems out of the question.

The other dlc lords are easier, skink for the Lizardmen and a grey seer/warlock engineer for the Skaven.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
started a campaign as spine of sotek dwarves

really looking forward to fighting the elves nearby

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Is faction unlocker working well? I'd love to hit the bricks as dwarfs.