Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

My sled - the best form factor car I've ever owned - massive cargo space, massive sunroof, massive seating. Selling soon and I'm kind of going to miss her :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Geoj posted:

Back from the grave, spent the past three years in this state:

Hit a deer at 65 MPH in Virginia in November of 2009, took out the entire front end plus the windshield, PS door mirror, airbag deployment, took out the radiator, condensor & battery tray.

Got laid off at work at the end of July, spent the past week and a half rebuilding the front end, getting the engine running again and repainting about 60% of the panels.

Now:

Still have a few little things to do...need to source a Euro upper grille, put my not lovely wheels on and replace the HID bulbs (one of them is starting to color shift.) Otherwise ready to drive, just have to get temp tags and insurance.

Black wheels?

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Very nice - how many miles?

blk
Dec 19, 2009

That's the best looking bugeye I've ever seen.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
It's not every day that you see two Saabarus together - NA vs turbo (me), but same color:

blk
Dec 19, 2009

discstickers posted:

Not buying a 9-2X Aero when GM was firesaleing them is one of my biggest automotive regrets.

Mine too. I ended up getting this one for 10,750 at 57750 miles; not terrible, especially considering how much the comparable WRX is in my neck of the woods.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Hashal posted:

Now you guys have me looking at Saabs!

I love the look of that 9-3 and think it was one of the best styled cars of the past 20 years. That said, I appreciate the quirkiness and styling of most of their cars, but I honestly don't think most SAABs are worth the hassle for what you get - if I was going to put that much time and money into a car I'd get something RWD that handles and performs a bit better. The 99 Turbos are kinda cool, though.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

GramCracker posted:

With the world in general, I've found that people either just get teh whole "wagons are awesome" thing or they just totally don't get it and never will; there really isn't an in-between. So Goons, let's hear your reasoning as for why wagons are awesome...go!

Everything everyone has said, plus expanded roof space for racks/boxes/carriers, plus dog friendly (inside, not Mitt style) because dogs are awesome, plus they're easier to sleep in if you absolutely have to.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

DoLittle posted:

The other way round. The Dart has been out for couple of years as Alfa Giulietta. It will get a facelift in 2013 and may come to US also in 2014 along with the 4C?

In the future there will be platform sharing especially in the larger segments. Chrysler brings FIAT the economy of scale to the development of these segments it has ne er had. The plan is to bring out 3 new D segment Alfas and E segment Alfa and Maserati. The rumors talk of RWD. FIAT will concentrate on A, B and C segments along with commercial vehicles.

Do you know where Lancia is going to be slotted in that picture?

blk
Dec 19, 2009

eeenmachine posted:

MMMMM Model S.... Can't wait to dig into it!

Which battery pack?

blk
Dec 19, 2009

KozmoNaut posted:

The Toronado was longitudinal FWD, wasn't it?

It is also the best place to get a beer in San Francisco.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Tanz-Kommandant posted:

Traded my Civic in for this:

2008 Grand Touring Special Edition, 1 out of 750 ever sent to the US and an absolute blast to drive. 29k miles and bought for just about 5k under KBB since the dealership thought it was just a tarted up Grand Touring.

What's different between this and the normal Grand Touring trim?

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Sabmo posted:

'96 Volvo 850R, automatic. This is the first Volvo I've owned after a long string of Saabs, but I love it. I'd like a 5-speed but they're crazy rare. It's a bit more of a cruiser than the 9000, but still plenty quick and it sounds awesome.

I love hot 850s. A couple years after I started lusting for them, a buddy bought one and modded it up to around 450 at the crank (the car obviously ate itself). One of these days I will find a T5R in that jaundice yellow color with a 5 speed. One day.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Voltage posted:

Had a rental Ford Escape Ecoboost (1.6L turbo FWD) when I went to Austin for the F1 race:

When I first got it, I noticed it was getting really poo poo mileage, under 20mpg - which is not right for a 1.6.
Realizing this was a rental, I figured everyone put in regular, so I burned the tank empty and filled it with 93 and it spiked up to about 27. The owners manual said 91 or higher!

Anyways, I normally hate small SUV's like the Rav-4, CRV, etc. since most are extremely numb and boring, especially the new CRV. I must say the Escape completely impressed me! It had excellent power, handled much much better than expected, and had an absolutely incredible interior, nice materials, real leather, great steering wheel with full controls. Ford MYtouch was pretty great as well and paired up with my phone easily and I really had no issues at all.

I really can't say a bad thing about the car, except maybe the 'manual mode' was a bit useless, since it would still shift automatically most of the time and was very slow to respond, but this is a commuter SUV so I wouldn't knock it for that.

I'm driving a Chevrolet Captiva in Hawaii right now and it is absolutely awful.

Fleet only (in the States; I think they may have suckered the Australians into buying them privately), designed by Daewoo using GM Theta. 800 miles on the odometer and various trim pieces are rattling, intense wind noise through the doors, abysmal steering, mediocre drive train. I really want to just park it on the beach and let the ocean take it back to Korea.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

ApathyGifted posted:

It's a 2005 Z51, and best as I can tell it has every option (I can't think of one that I know Corvettes have that's missing, at any rate). 24.5k miles. It is also a manual.

This is also the first manual car I've owned, only the second that I've driven. It's hilarious.

Do you mind if I ask what you payed in what market from which kind of seller?

blk
Dec 19, 2009

_adam posted:

Thanks! Here's a couple more...

drat son :monocle:

(couldn't remember the smily peeking over his shades that I wanted)

blk
Dec 19, 2009

MEsean posted:

Hello. Here is a picture of my car that I took this morning.

300zx by sean.kruse.10, on Flickr

NA or TT?

blk
Dec 19, 2009

BoostCreep posted:

He's wrong. Pictures of guys with their cars is basically #1 on the do-not-do list. Right next to shirtless photos in bathroom mirrors.

Generally yes, but he might be able to get away with this. He and the car are so small, with the emphasis on the landscape and receding road - the shot says to me "hey, I like having adventures"

blk
Dec 19, 2009

cchhrriiss1982 posted:

"I know this isn't gonna end well, but the middle part is gonna be awesome!"

As a Saabaru owner I'm interested in what you think

blk
Dec 19, 2009

drgitlin posted:

I finally got my car back!

Got into a small accident before Christmas that required some bodywork. In the process of getting that done, the place the insurance company used managed to not reconnect the door to the gas cap...

Que me noticing this on one of the rare mornings I drive to work, resulting in an annoyed phone call telling them to come trailer it back and fix it (since the car was basically out of gas). Well, between trailering it off and returning it, they managed to destroy my front subframe, steering rack, and a bunch of other things. As expected, Saaburu parts turn out to be quite hard to come by, with the result being I had no car for the last three months.

And the turbo is still smoking, which is worrying me since it's only got 77k miles.

That paint seems a little lighter and more metallic-y than I see around, is it the stock Deep Blue Mica or a custom color?

Also, nice car - 2005 or 2006?

blk
Dec 19, 2009

I was following a facelifted CC on I-5 in the middle of nowhere last night; the tail lights resemble the new Corvette's and I got really excited for a few seconds

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Do those of you with kids find you need two family cars, or are some of you finding success with one family car and one two-seater?

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Imperador do Brasil posted:

We did, she sold it for a ton of cash and a 6-speed TSX which she has been driving. I just meant in general that she approved of the M3.

Where does one find carwife? I'm getting married in two months and while she's cool in a lot of departments, she doesn't understand the point of fun on four wheels :(

blk
Dec 19, 2009

NitroSpazzz posted:

Yesterday I flew to Connecticut to look at a car. It was better than expected and is now settled in the garage awaiting a full detail after a 800 mile road trip and a quick wash. Sorry for the lovely cell phone shot after a quick wash, better pictures once it's really clean.

1988 BMW M3 with 80k miles. One previous owner, all original everything. It's amazing and I can't stop smiling.

Goddamn, that's beautiful.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

PhoenixWing posted:

My daily driver. I go everywhere in this little guy, shows, work, and vacation. Never let me down so far.

1958, 1776 engine with twin carbs, disc brakes, adjustable front/rear suspension height, perfect interior, and best of all, not a spot of rust (anymore at least).

Love that car :3:

I'm normally not a Beetle guy but this is really nice.

Tell us about your bikes!

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Linux Nazi posted:

If I ever decide to pick up a project car it is going to be a mk3 MR2 like this (except a non-turbo). They are still around and can still be bought fairly unmolested (though always in need of care), hopefully that is still the case when I have the money for fixing one up.

You probably already know, but that's a Mk 2, Mk 3 would be the MR2 Spyder.

BANNED USER - stock suspension on that Mk 2 or ?

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Noise Complaint posted:

Picked up a `05 LGT Wagon, 5MT, bunch of extras. Extremely happy with it right now.

Shot of the stable with the e30 and soon to be gone Z24 beater in the backround. Girlfriend's Elantra driving appliance in the front.

Nice LGT; I'm always passively looking for one. Mind if I ask what you paid/mileage/market?

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Noise Complaint posted:

$11,750, 90k miles, New England.

The car came with quite a few upgrades and extras that I was glad to pay a premium for, but I still feel like I got a decent price considering the 3 ring binder filled to the brim with receipts I got with it.

That's a great price compared to here in the PacNW. Nice work.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

the spyder posted:

1994 Mazda Rx-7 Touring with 99 parts. It's a blast to drive.

i park in that garage sometimes :hfive: sup oregoon

blk
Dec 19, 2009
My high school dream was a Lotus Esprit V8.

Current dream-that-will-stay-a-dream is probably a Singer 911. If I ever magically start making 4x the money I make now, though, I'll pick up an NSX. I'm a sucker for popup headlights.

PLOT TWIST: POST YOUR OTHER RIDE

If you have a boring part of your stable (partner's car, family car, daily driver, work car) post it here. I'm interested to see how everyone balances out the fun stuff.

Wife's 05 Civic LX 4EAT:

94k, nothing wrong with it, dead reliable - SO BORING.

blk fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Sep 4, 2013

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Rhyno posted:

ME CAR GO VROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM

2006 GT with 59K on the clock. Loving the poo poo out of this so far.

Stock suspension?

blk
Dec 19, 2009

afen posted:

It also has cup holders, rare as rocking horse poo poo:

Is that some sort of AWD indicator behind the cupholders?

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Devyl posted:

It's cold out there.

Is that the sedan?

blk
Dec 19, 2009

mulligan posted:

My first RWD car and so far it's been a lot of fun!

It seems to be some sort of M package, it has M badges everywhere (door sills, that cool M 3 spoke steering wheel, pedals, etc), 50K miles, no check engine so far, although I've been staring at the temp gauge furiously over the last couple of days. Ex Owner gave me a set of Pilot Sports A/S 3 which are amazing!

Mods will include:

-Lots of maintenance.

Nice; I like pre-facelift E46's like yours, the front lights look better to me (the corners turn down instead of up). Amazing how low miles you found on it - is this in the US?

It's funny, every BMW owner I've talked to loves the PS AS3s, I really don't like them on my Saabarx.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I'd fly that poo poo into the side of my car within about ten minutes. I don't think I can be trusted with remote control anything.

I just bought this:

'97 (1.8L) Miata with low miles. 1 of only 556 Miatas made for the Canadian market that year. I need to pull the headlight buckets up and fix various small things.

Nice! How many miles?

I like NAs so much more than NBs.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

hunter x az posted:

Despite being cool with it, it looks horrendous -- and that's the way you're car will be remembered. "That piece of poo poo ride with the horrible wheels."

Good legacy.

Homeboy invented Froot Loops; wheels are appropriate and he should get a pass.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Paint looks kinda washed out because it's a lovely Nexus 4 pic and I didn't bother to fix the saturation.

blk fucked around with this message at 11:13 on May 5, 2014

blk
Dec 19, 2009

D C posted:

Yet you desaturated the rest of it?

My artistic attention span lasts about 30 seconds

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Vitamin J posted:

I let off after shifting into 2nd to let him catch up, maybe 45-50mph. Then got back on it, which reminds me...

It's turbocharged now with a T25 at 9psi.

LSD?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blk
Dec 19, 2009

CountOfNowhere posted:

It's weird having two working cars with valid tags and functional air conditioning. Also, I hate my E46's wheels

Oregoon spotted. Is that a ZHP?