Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug
edit: filled

Mierdaan fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Mar 30, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug
We're still anxiously seeking good candidates for our job opening in Ann Arbor, MI. The talent drain out of SE Michigan has been pretty astonishing; with the national unemployment rate what it is I feel like most hiring managers are swimming in CVs, and we're barely getting any.

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug
Final repost for our job opening. The job description has been updated, new version below.

Mierdaan posted:

What we're looking for

job posting posted:

$COMPANY$ is seeking applicants for the position of Application Developer within our IT Department. The position will be responsible for full lifecycle software development, from gathering requirements to implementing software applications to supporting existing applications in a manufacturing environment. This position will maintain and create enterprise applications and web interface for a global audience of internal and external customers. The ability to work well with small groups, interact with end users and rapidly develop high quality software solutions is critical. The candidate must also have the ability and desire for continuous self-improvement through ongoing education and learning.

Experience with the following qualifications preferred:
  • Microsoft Dynamics (preferably Dynamics AX)
  • SQL
  • Microsoft SSRS/SSAS
  • HTML, JavaScript
  • CSS
  • SharePoint
  • Open source web development
  • .NET

Preferred minimum qualifications include a Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or related field plus at least 3 years on the job experience. Must be proficient in .NET or Java and have working experience with an ERP system. Must have the ability to evaluate the Company’s current and future software needs and make recommendations for continuous improvement of systems architecture. Must have advanced verbal and written communication skills and the ability to work independently, prioritize projects and meet deadlines.

Approximate opening date: Immediate

Benefits: Health, dental, vision, 401k matching, generous Paid Time Off policy

Notes: ~175 employee biotech manufacturing company, privately owned so no need to worry about SOX or any of that mess. Email me for more details, questions, etc, or just shoot over a resumé and I'll get it to the right people.

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug

Casull posted:

My public email is evilwang@gmail.com.

No matter how clever you think it is, please tell me you never put that on a résumé.

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug

lol internet. posted:

I did already sign the offer. Ethically, I understand it's frowned upon, but is there any legal obligation here?

Did you, you know... read the offer? Why are you asking the internet?

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug
I might, actually. Sending you a PM.

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug
Who we are: Privately owned ~190 employee biochem manufacturing company.
Where we are: Ann Arbor, MI
What we're looking for: an IT Project Manager
When: ASAP

Send me a PM if you want me to pass on a CV, or I can give you the web application link.

blah blah HR job posting posted:

$company is seeking candidates for the position of Project Manager. The successful candidate will be charged with facilitating and ensuring completion of small to large IT projects per the developed project standards and methodology. The role also facilitates communication between the Information Technology department and Cayman business units/entities to ensure project scope is managed and good customer service is provided. Development and maintenance of project methodology best practices and guidelines will be required. This person is also responsible for the planning and estimation of new projects requested, as well as the control and execution of ongoing project initiatives. The project manager is responsible for resource assignments on IT projects and will also be required to oversee contract employee activities. The project manager will lead the development of technical specifications for new and existing applications and will also be involved with the architecture of future systems. The project manager will be skilled as a strong leader, business analyst, application designer, facilitator, organizer, documenter and communicator. This position also plays a key role on the IT Steering Committee as the facilitator and owner of the IT Project Portfolio.

Preferred minimum qualifications include:

• Bachelor’s Degree in Business or Computer Science.
  • PMI certification required.
  • Minimum 4-5 years managing diverse projects.
  • A demonstrated background in successful project scheduling and delivery.
  • Must have excellent customer service, communication, interpersonal, organizational and planning skills.
  • Ability to conform to shifting priorities, demands and timelines using analytical and problem-solving capabilities.
  • Customer service and business analysis skills required.
  • Experience leading projects in Microsoft Dynamics, SharePoint, Open Source Web development and Network Systems preferable.
  • Must have experience working in and promoting a collaborative work environment through teamwork and respect.
  • ITIL and/or COBIT certification and/or exposure a plus with a broad knowledge of IT practices and technologies.

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug
Really depends on what kind of job you're looking for. Lack of degree can be a total non-issue, or a complete dealbreaker depending on the job you're looking for and the industry/company you're trying to get in to.

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug

psydude posted:

gently caress, this kind of poo poo pisses me off. There's no guarantee that someone with a CS degree is good at being a computer janitor.

Yeah, I've never understood what understanding the computational complexity of bubblesort has to do with unfucking user profiles or print drivers or whatever.

There's definitely some useful lessons you can get out of a CS degree, especially if you start scripting and automating poo poo, or dealing with the simple inheritance model in a nagios config or something, but required? gently caress you, tell me why it's required.

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug
What's the general opinion of contract-to-hire recruiter jobs? This guy wants me to interview with a large well-established group so I have no reason to be suspect, but the 6 month contract-to-hire thing is strange to me.

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug
Thanks guys. Do you think the contract-to-FTE conversion ratio depends a lot on the job? In Kyrosiris's example, I could see that happening more if the purpose of the 6-month contract is to bang out a specific set of tasks, and then they pull the rug after. The one I'm looking at seems like it'd be a stable infrastructure job that they'd need long term, but what do I know :(

Health care is something I just discussed with the recruiter, they said they can bridge that 6-month gap but I'm sure the cost will be ridiculous. COBRA's another (unattractive) option.

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug
Yeah, thanks for the perspective. I'll do the song and dance and see where it goes. The gig is with a large university that I graduated from and worked for previously, so I'd like to think they wouldn't pull the rug after 6 months, but I'll walk into it all with a healthy dose of skepticism.

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug
Still looking for a Project Manager in Ann Arbor, MI - details in the OP's spreadsheet.

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug
About 99% sure we will be posting an entry-level helpdesk position in Ann Arbor, MI in the next week or two. I'll update the spreadsheet if it happens, but if anyone's in the area and looking, let me know.

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug
Helpdesk position available in Ann Arbor, MI.

:edit: filled

Mierdaan fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Jul 3, 2012

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug

Scaramouche posted:

I was going to post a job I found but it's for a company I don't know anything about that I came across while researching something about startups. Is that cool for this thread or should I hold off?

I think anyone who enters into an employment agreement based solely on the recommendation of something they read on SomethingAwful.com deserves what they get, so I say go for it.

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug

Delicious Kittens posted:

Pay: Contact me. Accepting hourly rate requests. $9/hour can start immediately. Additional project completion bonus.

:fuckoff:

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug

Delicious Kittens posted:

Pay: Contact me. Accepting hourly rate requests. $9/hour can start immediately. Additional project completion bonus.

Notes: I think the basic requirements of the job could be completed in just a few hours. Building in additional features to the core product and providing support will provide additional earnings potential.

This guy's totally not cost-conscious. For the :10bux: he just wasted on an account to post his lovely job opportunities, he could have half this job completed. What a waste.

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug
edit: closed

Mierdaan fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Apr 16, 2013

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug
Front-end web developer position in Ann Arbor, MI

We are currently seeking candidates for an experienced front end Web Developer of which the requirements are:
  • Responsible for creating modern, standard-compliant websites for all marketing, ecommerce and internal web/mobile platforms.
  • Perform web design and development across the software development life cycle including turning business requirements into technical specifications, making architectural decisions, development and administration.
  • Work closely with graphic designers, back-end developers and project leads to build custom web sites and applications.
  • Research and incorporate best practices for user interaction design.
  • Publish sales and marketing materials, establish search engine criteria, and implement new web pages and concepts for the Marketing department.
  • Self-directed research and development of new web and mobile technology applications to improve the customer e-commerce experience.
  • Skills/Requirements
  • Bachelor degree in Computer Science or related field.
  • Customer and quality focused with excellent attention to detail.
  • Strong problem-solving, written and verbal communication skills.
  • Available for after-hours support as needed.
Expert skill set in:
  • Java EE/JSP
  • HTML, CSS, JavaScript, jQuery and Ajax
  • Cross-browser compatibility, and client-side optimization
  • Development tools such as NetBeans, Eclipse, Apache Ant
  • Consuming services (XML, XLST, JSON, SOAP) with Ajax
Working knowledge of:
  • Mercurial, or other version control system
  • Image manipulation software (Photoshop, Gimp)
  • HTML5, CSS3 and Twitter Bootstrap
  • Website optimization

Relocation assistance is available.

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug

Citizen Z posted:

Cowboy hats are optional in Texas, but you must put Steer horns on your hood.

Where's the gun rack go again?

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug

Sab669 posted:

Isn't that what literally everyone uses in reference to the nearest big city near them?

I live closest to Detroit and we just call it Detroit. I think "the city" is only used if you actually like the nearest big city.

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Admin@AOL.com might get my attention.

Only if you want to hire the saddest of admins.

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug
edit: whoops, posted too soon.

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug
JOB POSTING

Title: Sr. Systems Administrator
Lcoation: Ann Arbor, MI
When: Now/Soon
Remote? No full-time remote, some part-time ok
Relocation? Maybe, but it'd have to be a great fit

Description :This is my old job. I'm still here, but have moved into a Director role now. We've been without a full-time Systems Admin position for about 2 years, but this isn't a fire-drill scenario. Everything's still running fine, and there's plenty of juicy upgrade projects and things to work on. This would be your infrastructure, from physical cabling and switching to user-facing applications like Exchange, and everything in between. Little-to-no direct end-user support as we have a 2-man Helpdesk team. Rest of the IT staff is great, dress code extremely relaxed, pay is good.

~230 person, privately-owned company in Ann Arbor, MI with several smaller overseas locations. We're in the chemistry/biochemistry/pharmaceutical small-scale manufacturing space, so the user base is lots of scientists. Also very close to the University of Michigan, so there's a fairly collegiate atmosphere here if you're into that kind of thing. Ann Arbor is also a kickass town.

Job Duties
  • Design and maintain the global corporate network. Selects and implement new network components, and monitor their health, security and operation 24/7. Anticipate, diagnose and fix network issues, including scalability of network infrastructure to accommodate future growth. Is an expert in relevant technologies and protocols.
  • Responsible for selection and implementation of new hardware and software server technologies. Maintain vendor relationships with regards to purchase and maintenance.
  • Responsible for maintaining and supporting global corporate telecommunications technologies. Select and implement technologies and maintain relationships with vendors.
  • Responsible for corporate backup technology and data.
  • Assist other IT staff in deployment/maintenance/troubleshooting roles where appropriate.
  • Automate tasks wherever possible through the use of scripting or other automation frameworks.
  • Provides guidance and assistance to local and remote Support Staff where necessary, and is ultimately responsible for escalated support issues from all companies globally.
  • Respond to rare off-hours incidents.

Skills/Qualifications
  • Bachelor’s degree in computer science or related field.
  • 6-8 years of IT experience and at least 5 years of Systems Administration experience or equivalent certifications (e.g. MSCE, VCP, CCNP, etc.)
  • Requires a strong knowledge of all Microsoft technologies (Active Directory, Exchange, SharePoint, SCCM, SQL, PowerShell, etc.)
  • Requires experience selecting, installing and maintaining enterprise storage solutions (SAN/NAS, FC/iSCS/NFS).
  • 3-5 years administering enterprise virtualization technology, e.g. (e.g. VMware, Hyper-V, RHEV, OpenStack)
  • Experience deploying enterprise monitoring systems such as Nagios, Icinga, or SolarWinds.
  • Requires knowledge of telecommunications and networking technologies (e.g. Avaya, Cisco, Lync, SIP/PBX)
  • Is an expert in a wide range of operating system configurations, including all Windows operating systems, mobile operating systems, and Linux distributions.
  • Must be familiar with a wide range of hardware technologies, including switches, routers, firewalls, wireless LAN controllers and access points, PCs, servers, and handhelds.

As with all job postings, this is a wish list. Some of it is fairly flexible. Feel free to PM me with any questions - I'm the hiring manager.

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug
Job Posting

Job title: Service Desk Analyst

quote:

Job Duties
  • Responsible for helpdesk support, including: maintain inventory, quality control and helpdesk ticketing. Document symptoms and capture relevant system and application information for knowledge management purposes.
  • Follow standard helpdesk procedures and help improve the helpdesk process. Monitor and follow up with customers on open issues, ensuring that departmental performance objectives, service level standards and customer satisfaction goals are achieved. Diagnose and resolve technical hardware and software issues across Windows and Mac platforms. Develop and maintain documented standard desktop system build and recovery process through system image technologies.
  • Perform desktop support and day-to-day operations support across various platforms and system technologies.
  • Oversee all end-user support for desktop computers, printers, phone system, software, and hardware with some server maintenance/administration.
  • Maintain the company’s backup procedures and administer telecommunications.
  • Provide 24/7 light technical support for remote company locations, including offices in Estonia, Germany, Australia, and the Czech Republic, or escalate issues when needed.
  • Respond to technical support tickets, emails and calls in a timely manner in person, via phone or electronically.
  • Configure and maintain various lab instrument control suites and instrument hardware, where appropriate.
  • Actively involved with systems backup and disaster recovery planning and testing.
  • Responsible for printer configurations including server print queues, drivers, etc.
  • Create and maintain users in Active Directory, Exchange, and phone system for multiple locations.
  • Perform simple programming to streamline server processes, as required.
  • Perform software installation and maintenance process scripting via Windows Batch Scripts, PowerShell, etc.
  • Develop and maintain documented standards, procedures, protocols and configurations of Desktop systems.
  • Perform basic network maintenance activities including installing network drops, cable labeling, switch port activation, decommissioning/disposal of hardware, etc.
  • Responsible for audio/visual equipment setup, operation and maintenance at all local company buildings, as well as any offsite presentations, as needed.
  • Maintain records of software licensing for all company computers and equipment.

Skills & Requirements
  • Bachelor degree in Computer Science or related area.
  • Basic knowledge of the following protocols: HTTP/HTTPS, FTP, SSH, VPN, TCP, IP, UDP, DNS, DHCP, VLAN, 802.11a/b/g.
  • Basic programming and scripting skills required with particular emphasis on Windows batch scripts.
  • Understanding of system backups and imaging techniques.
  • Basic knowledge of networking, routing solutions and phone system technologies.
  • Knowledge of Microsoft desktop and server technology, including Office 365.
  • Strong problem solving skills, attention to detail and organizational skills.
  • Excellent written and verbal communication to both educate end users and effectively relay the needs of the end users to management.
  • Able to prioritize tasks, work independently and as part of a team.
  • Unix/Linux experience a plus.

Looking for someone with a few years' experience. Company of around 260, IT department of 11 - chill group, work with and for a goon. PM me for details.

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug

Tab8715 posted:

Curious, why are you targeting CompSci degrees?

HR :rolleyes: Half the department doesn't have a CompSci degree; it's clearly not a hard requirement.

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug
JOB POSTING

Entry-level gig in Ann Arbor, MI - working directly for me in an IT department of 12, 30-year-old privately-held company of ~300.. Nice relaxed environment in a cool college town. Great place to get your foot in the door and work your way up.

quote:

Responsibilities and Duties
  • Responsible for helpdesk support such as inventory maintenance, quality control and ticket resolution
  • Respond to technical support tickets in a timely fashion. Diagnose and resolve technical hardware and software issues across Windows and Mac platforms
  • Oversee all end-user support for desktop computers, printers, phone systems, software, and hardware with some server maintenance/administration
  • Create and maintain user accounts
  • Responsible for printer configurations including server print, queues, drivers, etc.
  • Execute software installation and maintenance process scripting via Windows Batch Scripts, PowerShell, etc.
  • Perform basic network maintenance activities including installing network drops, cable labeling, switch port activation, and decommissioning/disposal of hardware
  • Responsible for audio/visual equipment setup, operation, and maintenance
  • Configure and maintain various lab instrument control suites and instrument hardware
  • Develop and maintain documented standards, procedures, protocols, and configurations of Desktop systems
  • Track IT assets while adhering to asset management policies and procedures
  • Maintain records of software licensing for all company computers and equipment
  • Active involvement with systems backup and disaster recovery planning and testing
  • Available to provide 24/7 light technical support for remote locations

Requirements
  • Basic knowledge of the following protocols: HTTP/HTTPS, FTP, SSH, VPN, TCP, IP, UDP, DNS, DHCP, VLAN, 802.11 a/b/g/n
  • Basic programming and scripting skills required with emphasis on PowerShell
  • Knowledge of Microsoft desktop and server technology, including Office 365
  • Basic knowledge of networking, routing solutions and phone system technologies
  • Understanding of system backups and imaging techniques
  • Unix/Linux experience a plus
  • Ability to work independently, as well as being a good teammate
  • Communicate clearly and effectively
  • Ability to prioritize tasks, be organized, and pay attention to detail
  • Strong problem solving and follow up and skills

PM for details if interested.

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug

my buddy Superfly posted:

Is there any other way to contact you without private messaging?

Sure, send an email over to a67f8ccd45e3@protonmail.com

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug

mewse posted:

Very clever encoding ¦ŒÍEã in hexidecimal

You got me.

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug
Job Posting!

Systems Administrator in Ann Arbor, MI.

40+ year privately-held old biochemical manufacturing/R&D company.

Could fill at Senior level depending on experience. No full remote, but generous WFH available for candidates in driving distance. Microsoft / Cisco / VMware shop. Storage, Office365, Azure, Teams experience all desired. Good benefits, very casual environment - think academia, but slightly more for-profit.

PM for details.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug
Want part of my old job? I'm :yotj: and leaving a Director position, where I had had a pretty flat org chart on the infra side and a very competent manager on the software dev side, who will be taking over as Director. The company will be hiring an IT Manager - Infrastructure to fill the void.

Pay: Should be pretty good, actually!
Remote?: Sadly, no. Dev staff is remote, but infra/ops team is on-site and so shall you be. Thankfully Ann Arbor's a cool town and the atmosphere is super relaxed/casual.

Responsibilities:
  • Leads and coordinates Security, System Administration, and Help Desk teams and other computer-related workers.
  • Hire and develop talent, conducts performance evaluations.
  • Develop structure and define processes within IT team.
  • Collaborates with users, vendors, laboratory employees, and managers to understand and assess computing and system needs and requirements.
  • Collaborate with leadership to define project timelines and establish priorities.
  • Communicates the goals, policies, and procedures of the company to the IT team; develops plans to implement these needs.
  • Evaluates current technology needs and recommends software and hardware improvements.
  • Monitor, maintain, and troubleshoot network, servers, phone systems, and software resources to identify and solve complex issues and implement preventative measures.
  • Implement and oversee DR and GRC programs.
  • Prepares and delivers operational or project progress reports.
  • Implements and oversees operational budget and expenditures.
  • Manage team efficiency through cases and tasks through a ticketing system.
  • Maintain an adequate level of knowledge of operating systems and application software being used to provide high levels of support to users.
  • Communicates with all users to understand their needs, provide updates on their requests, and successfully set their expectations.

Desired Education and Skills:
  • Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related field.
  • 5-10 years of relevant experience in IT, including compute, storage, networking, identity and authentication.
  • Experience leading teams of 5 or more employees with diverse skillsets and responsibilities.
  • Experience controlling large IT budgets.
  • Extensive experience with Microsoft products, including Dynamics 365 SaaS ERP/CRM applications, Windows Server, SharePoint, Exchange, Office365, SCCM, Intune, Azure / AzureAD.
  • Strong knowledge of on-premise and cloud-based applications, services, and platforms.
  • Experience working in GxP environments, or similar regulatory frameworks.
  • Exceptional written and verbal communication skills.
  • Exceptional ability to explain complex concepts to senior management.

PM me for details, though I am no longer the/a hiring manager.