Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Kourse
Aug 1, 2006
???
I appologize in advance for the over-used reference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

She sprints up the stairs, the sound of her feet banging on the wood is too clear in the silence. Her mind is not working, she isn't thinking about the way it moved, the face it didn't really have, the sounds it made, the screams and cracking.
No, her mind is not working, she needs to get away, she has come far in the car, as fast as she can and now she's home. It can't have followed her, that is impossible, but she won't slow down until she's in her room.

She bursts through the door and onto the bed, face down and sobbing as the adrenaline rush takes its toll and her mind catches up with her brain. Deep heaving breathes of air, screaming at the thought of it, the way it wailed, god save her, like a child! The way it looked, wrong, a nightmare invading her waking world.

She turns her head to the door and her noises stop with a sharp intake of breath.
Her heart stabs her chest with cold terror. In the corner of her eye, in the shadow behind the wardrobe... its too dark. Oh god she can see its arm!

She sits frozen, staring at the door, the malformed darkness in her peripheral vision, it knows she sees it, it knows there is nothing she can do now, it knows she knows that.
It waits with a malignant curiosity, a man pulling legs off a spider, to see what she does now.

Sedagive
Nov 14, 2007

21stCentury
Jan 4, 2009

by angerbot

Sedagive posted:

That one's exceptionally creepy without needing to resort to tentacle/spider limbs/snaky arms

Doedipus
Nov 21, 2006

Doeder than Doed.

dpack_1 posted:

The Slender Man has many different forms, the closer you are the more human his form, but from a distance he uses his tentacles to travel great distances and scale sheer surfaces.

I really like this idea. It adds a unique element.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Doedipus posted:

^^^
I love the picture and there's something about hearing "the waiting noises just outside" that scares the hell out of me.

I did some digging on the so-called "slender man" and discovered this photo. All it said was that the drawing was found at a day care parking lot.

This is the only thing I could see when I looked at that picture.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Blaster of Justice
Jan 6, 2007

by angerbot

Sedagive posted:

Nope that's peeing man. Not creepy at all.

Phil Collins Vagina
Dec 30, 2008

Click here for the full 1024x683 image.

Acrylic Squirrel
Apr 7, 2007

Sedagive posted:

On my lovely laptop screen I thought it was one of the branch things on the left edge. Then it jumped out at me visually :gonk:. It's less ambiguous as the others and is less real looking, but as a shock picture it works pretty well.

Ronnie
May 13, 2009

Just in case.
Great. Now when my therapist asks why i'm having night terrors I can just point him towards this thread.

Thank you for bringing Slenderman into my life. I didn't enjoy sleeping anyway.

BooDoug187
Apr 8, 2005

Don't you fear the yetis in Rio?

Ronnie posted:

Great. Now when my therapist asks why i'm having night terrors I can just point him towards this thread.

Thank you for bringing Slenderman into my life. I didn't enjoy sleeping anyway.

Sleeping is over rated.

Jarf
Jun 25, 2006

PLATINUM

Sedagive posted:

This is one of the scariest I have seen yet.

As Acrylic Squirrel said, it jumps out at you. Soon as I spotted him I gave a sharp inhale.

Sedagive
Nov 14, 2007

Jarf posted:

This is one of the scariest I have seen yet.

As Acrylic Squirrel said, it jumps out at you. Soon as I spotted him I gave a sharp inhale.

Thanks, the photo was originally in daytime, I drew the figure in Corel Painter. I love the idea of Slenderman, he should have his own thread.

Doedipus
Nov 21, 2006

Doeder than Doed.

Screaming Idiot posted:

This is the only thing I could see when I looked at that picture.

Hah! Yeah, now that you mention it, the mouth kind of ruined it. Oh well.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

Phil Collins Vagina posted:

Click here for the full 1024x683 image.

That's great, I didn't see it until I stopped looking...and it's my own photo! How did slenderman get in there!? :ohdear:

http://dl-client.getdropbox.com/u/81963/sm.zip <---source photos if people want them

pr0digal fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Jun 20, 2009

TrenchMaul
Mar 9, 2009

Ronnie posted:

I am a therapist and this thread has scared the poo poo out of me.

Chocolatebuddha
Oct 15, 2007

Sweet Deity!

Farchanter
Jun 15, 2008
^ that's awesome

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Chocolatebuddha posted:

Is my monitor giving out, because this picture is nearly pitch black. And when I highlight it I can only see a little bit of detail.

Unless that's what's intended.

VR Native American
May 1, 2009
Gun Saliva

Liku posted:

Is my monitor giving out, because this picture is nearly pitch black. And when I highlight it I can only see a little bit of detail.

Unless that's what's intended.

You just have to hit the Enhance key on your computer.

Doktor Per
Feb 26, 2007

Look guys, I'm a lady!
Maybe it's just me, but I kind of prefer the pictures where I can see what the hell the picture is supposed to be of, instead of a big black space :v:

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

Doktor Per posted:

Maybe it's just me, but I kind of prefer the pictures where I can see what the hell the picture is supposed to be of, instead of a big black space :v:

the eyes...the dead eyes. You'll be seeing those in your sleep tonight, staring at you from some impossible angle...waiting.

BooDoug187
Apr 8, 2005

Don't you fear the yetis in Rio?

Ejiehi posted:

You just have to hit the Enhance key on your computer.

Hey, its the cover of Scary Stories to Tell Goons in the Dark!

Doktor Per
Feb 26, 2007

Look guys, I'm a lady!

Soakie
Jun 1, 2008
Has anyone thought about the possibility that we are creating a tulpa? It's a thought form that is realized through the efforts of a group of people. We might be creating the Slender Man, making him real.

The Toronto Society for Psychical Research did this with an entity called "Philip" in the mid-70's. There was a book written about it, called "Conjuring up Philip." "He" was a fictional person, knowingly created by the group. It was all fun and games until "Philip" started to take on a mind of his own. "Philip" became real, as far as any paranormal thing could be said to be real. So take all this with a big grain of salt.

http://www.pararesearchers.org/Ghosts/Article_Five/article_five.html
has a bibliography for those who are interested in looking into this further.

How long until there is agreement about what the Slender Man looks like? When will he have a specific MO? Can the hidden superstitious heart of the SA goons give Slender Man an independent existence? Think about it, a few hundred or maybe even a thousand goons, all looking at the pictures and creating the stories. I find myself looking at the shadows, imagining how they might fall together to show a lurking Slender Man. TSM pulls so many primal strings: his wrongness to our eyes, the hair on the back of the neck rising, the subconscious "Nonononono" that bursts across the imagination. He drags the monsters out of the back of our modern minds. He is a satisfactory booger man, pressing all the right buttons. Even if we don't really believe in the supernatural, even if our rational minds laugh at such an absurdity...we are cutting him out and sewing him together. We're stuffing him with nightmares and unspoken fears.

And what happens when the pictures are no longer photoshops?

Soakie fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Jun 20, 2009

Breakfast Machine
Aug 13, 2003

I certainly hope you don't hook up with Henry Moore. He's actually too big for some women to handle, though most are incredibly satisfied.

Soakie posted:

How long until there is agreement about what the Slender Man looks like? When will he have a specific MO? Can the hidden superstitious heart of the SA goons give Slender Man an independent existence? Think about it, a few hundred or maybe even a thousand goons, all looking at the pictures and creating the stories. I find myself looking at the shadows, imagining how they might fall together to show a lurking Slender Man. TSM pulls so many primal strings: his wrongness to our eyes, the hair on the back of the neck rising, the subconscious "Nonononono" that bursts across the imagination. He drags the monsters out of the back of our modern minds. He is a satisfactory booger man, pressing all the right buttons. Even if we don't really believe in the supernatural, even if our rational minds laugh at such an absurdity...we are cutting him out and sewing him together. We're stuffing him with nightmares and unspoken fears.

And what happens when the pictures are no longer photoshops?

You shut your whore mouth!

:tinfoil:

Chocolatebuddha
Oct 15, 2007

Sweet Deity!
Yeah, on my monitor I can see the outlying rafters without much problem, but the poster a couple posts above did a pretty good job of enhancing it for those of you who don't have your brightness jacked up to all hell.

Blaster of Justice
Jan 6, 2007

by angerbot

Chocolatebuddha posted:

Yeah, on my monitor I can see the outlying rafters without much problem, but the poster a couple posts above did a pretty good job of enhancing it for those of you who don't have your brightness jacked up to all hell.

It doesn't matter much if you see the Slender Man or not. Rest assured that he's out there somewhere and he is watching you.

Mogadishu
Apr 30, 2009

Shakespearean Beef
Jul 12, 2008

Ask me all about how I proudly marched alongside literal NEO-NAZIS to protest against the GOVERNMENT taking away our FREEDOMS because of nothing mote that the common FLU!!! I'm holding aloft the TORCH of FREEDOM!!

Mogadishu posted:

Aaaaah! Jesus loving christ! :gonk:

Doedipus
Nov 21, 2006

Doeder than Doed.
Wow, it took me a minute to get that one, too. Very nice with the trees.

TrenchMaul posted:

I am a therapist and this thread has scared the poo poo out of me.

Success!

21stCentury
Jan 4, 2009

by angerbot

Mogadishu posted:

What's with the two streaks and the big dot?

Doktor Per
Feb 26, 2007

Look guys, I'm a lady!
Enhanced:

Blaster of Justice
Jan 6, 2007

by angerbot
Whois for https://www.slenderman.com

Creation date: 09 Oct 2003 19:36:53
Expiration date: 09 Oct 2009 19:36:53

October 09 will be a great day. Bookmarked.

The Black Nerd
Feb 22, 2009

BLACK IN ACTION
After reading through this thread I decided to throw my hat into the "Slender Man" ring and wrote a short story.

Patient Report by Dr. Stephen Way, Windsor Pines Psychiatric Hospital, February 1998

02/12/98

Patient #015296

Patient was admitted a week ago with complaints of a loud piercing scream. Claims it happens every night, starts as a low mutter and then builds to an ear-shattering scream. No one else seems to hear to this. Consulting medical history on what medication should be given.

02/15/98

Patient still complaining of screams but now they are accompanied by low laughter, a giggle, like from children. Around 2100 patient was heard fearfully yelling to be let out. He was sedated shortly after.

02/17/98

Other patients are now complaining of hearing the same scream. Security has been placed on hallway to assure nothing suspicious is going on. Patient is now claiming that one of the trees outside is coming to get him.

02/18/98

Patient has been clawing at the walls and carved “I NEVER MEANT TO LIE” into the walls with his fingernails. When asked about what lie the patient is referring to he won’t answer.

02/20/98

Security now claiming to hear the scream. The patient now says that one of the trees is a man come to kill him. When asked to describe this man he said “He is very tall… and lanky. H-he wears a business suit, black with a white shirt and black tie. His skin is ash grey and his eyes, his terrible, TERRIBLE eyes.. th-they don’t exist. Horrifying white orbs. He also has tendrils coming from his back and he-he-he’s COMING TO GET ME OH GOD PLEASE FORGIVE ME!” The patient was once again sedated shortly afterward.

02/21/98

Patient #137601 has gone missing, though there was no visible damage done to the room and the door remained locked. #015296 claims the “Slender Man” as he has come to call this mysterious being, took him away.

02/28/98

Patient has been quiet for about a week now, no major disturbances since #137601 went missing.

03/01/98

*click*

“The hallway has gone completely black with a few flickering lights and I am now hearing the same muttering the patient first complained about. Maybe he isn’t crazy. As I walk down the hallway I notice one of the guards slumped on the floor. Upon closer investigation.. my god. H-his chest cavity has been ripped open displaying his organs. There’s a blood streak on the wall from where he must’ve slid down. I am now arriving at #015296 room. The door is wide open and he’s not in here. I am now exiting his room and continuing down the hallway. Peering into the other patients room they-”

*sound of vomiting is heard on the tape*

“Oh god.. from what I can tell they’ve all been impaled on tree branches in the exact same spot with exposed chest cavities. Blood is covering the walls of the rooms and hallways. This.. this is horrible. And now the muttering is getting louder and louder.”

*tape goes silent for a few minutes*

“I can hear whimpering coming from the down the hall way, it must be #015296.”

*silence except faint whimpering and footsteps*

“I’ve found the patient, huddled in the corner of the hallway crying softly. He keeps muttering “I never meant to lie” over and over again. I am now hearing the piercing scream the patient initially complained about and… No. Nononono.. it can’t be true.” “AAAHHHHHH”

“Th-the patient is being lifted into the air by what look to be tentacles and..”

*yells can be heard on the tape for several minutes and then silence*

Patient Report by Dr. Ken McCollough, Springhill Medical Hospital Psychiatric Ward, March 1998

03/05/98

Patient was admitted two days ago after being found in Windsor Pines Psychiatric Hospital surrounded by blood and corpses of patients and staff. Claims everyone was killed by a “Slender Man.” Further investigation is pending.

The Black Nerd fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Jun 21, 2009

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Soakie posted:

Has anyone thought about the possibility that we are creating a tulpa? It's a thought form that is realized through the efforts of a group of people. We might be creating the Slender Man, making him real.
Funny, I was just reading a Terry Pratchett book & he speculates on this very idea. That when there's enough belief in a thing - be it a god, or a demon or an an urban myth- that thing will come into being once the amount of belief hits a specific level. However he does say that to create something very powerful takes a great deal of belief; so as long as this Slender Man myth stays contained to one thread, we should be okay.

ce gars
Dec 31, 2007

Not too much of a response to my previous post. However, I've made a sort of "introduction" video, explaining the circumstances to all non-SA people who may come across it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wmhfn3mgWUI

I've gone through one and half tapes already. Something unusual has already come up. I'm going to finish the tape I'm on to see if there's something else like it then upload what I found.

21stCentury
Jan 4, 2009

by angerbot

Irisi posted:

Funny, I was just reading a Terry Pratchett book & he speculates on this very idea. That when there's enough belief in a thing - be it a god, or a demon or an an urban myth- that thing will come into being once the amount of belief hits a specific level. However he does say that to create something very powerful takes a great deal of belief; so as long as this Slender Man myth stays contained to one thread, we should be okay.

Honestly, unless we got a believable "cryptozoological" book out, a believable paranormal/conspiracy website up AND somehow got named on something that everyone watches (Talkshow? News?), this won't get enough people to believe in it.

So no worry at all.

Unless someone were to combine this with some sort of belief-canalizing tibetan sigil... Please no one use sigils or even attempt any form of magic. Let's just make fun of people who claim to know magic, let's keep the belief level low and the skepticism high.

Chocolatebuddha
Oct 15, 2007

Sweet Deity!
I think it would be kind of fun to create a creature of legend using a private SA forum and using the internet to spread it, if we create a good enough hoax we could potentially get people to still believe in it years and years down the road.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Mogadishu posted:

Just curious: