Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA
I recently got the girlfriend into watching with me, and although she enjoys the current product, I find that a lot of the time I have to explain past angles, characters, etc (like the recent legend appearances). I don't think my explanations really do justice to a lot of this stuff, so I was wondering: is there a DVD of the Attitude Era stuff out? I searched around and found a couple Raw compilations from around the Invasion, but do you guys know if there's any other way to get some old-school programming?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

rotinaj posted:

What the gently caress was up with the trapdoor Warrior used that ruined Davey Boy's back when he took a bump on it? Was there a protruding handle or something?

Apparently it was made of steel, so he probably got slammed full force and landed half on it or something, hard enough to crush a few discs.

(Also that article is really sad in retrospect :smith:)

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA
I have a seven hour series of flights tomorrow and I don't think the book I have on hand is going to cover it all. Do you guys have any recommendations for wrestling-related books available on the Kindle? I'm particularly interested in stuff about the early periods - carnival roots, catch wrestling, the territories, that kind of thing.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

DangerDummy! posted:

he took out X-Pac by god-voicing a Kasey Kasem quote and dropping the ceiling on his head.

It's probably just because I haven't seen the execution, but my mental image of this is hilarious.

To answer the question, in the post-Invasion period there was a storyline where Dawn Marie was trying to seduce Torrie Wilson's elderly father, and then eventually they got married and on the next show it was announced that he'd had a heart attack from boning too much and was dead. This seems kinda like a standard one-off joke from that period, when you put it that way, but it wasn't. That poo poo lasted for months. Literal months of Dawn Marie making out with an old man and terrible, terrible matches with Torrie.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

The reality is much, much less funny than I'd envisioned it.

Also, I say my thanks every day that I wasn't watching during the whole Chavo/Hornswoggle thing. Holy christ, I can barely tolerate Hornswoggle when he shows up for one segment every five or six Raws, I can't imagine having him around every week.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA
Was it ever determined whether Abdullah the Butcher had hep C (and subsequently gave it to people)? I remember watching that documentary and he said he was waiting on his test results, but then nothing recent on google says anything about whether he came up positive.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

VogeGandire posted:

What are generally accepted to be Bruiser Brody's best matches?

Three of my favorites:

2/3 Falls vs Ric Flair, 3/3/83 (Part 2) - There's some great stuff about this one in Brody's official biography. Both guys were over as poo poo and the crowd really wanted to see Flair lose his title, the heat on the last fall is just phenomenal. This was also being taped for broadcast in Japan, since Brody was an AJPW guy, and that had the side effect of giving Flair a surge in popularity with Japanese fans. According to the biography, Brody considered this one his best match.

w/ Jimmy Snuka vs Terry and Dory Funk, Real World Tag League 12/13/81 (Part 2) (Part 3) - Guest starring Stan Hansen and Giant Baba. The work here speaks for itself, and the ending is wild as hell.

vs Abdullah the Butcher, 8/4/86 (Part 2) - I'm not really an Abdullah fan but Brody sold his rear end off and made him look very passable in this one. Pretty much the quintessential old-school brawl, and mostly hard-hitting and violent instead of mindlessly excessive like in the post-Brody years with guys like Abby and King Curtis. The part where they disappear into the back and then there's just a bunch of crashing noises is like something out of a cartoon (in a good way).

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

Thauros posted:

Yeah, women's wrestling and especially joshi seems to be the exception. I know AJWP had a mandatory retirement age(30?).

It was 25, I think, up until the early nineties. Probably not a coincidence that it got lifted shortly after the Crush Gals had to retire.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA
Adding to the list of early table incidents, Akira Hokuto got tombstoned on an announce table in 1993. It didn't break, probably because it was one of those really long Japanese announce tables that puro events always have with like six commentators.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

Puseklepp posted:

Has a title ever changed hands due to a botch or shoot?

Back in 1985, Wendi Richter was the WWF women's champion until she had a dispute with Vince McMahon over her contract (the specifics are sort of a he-said-she-said thing) and ended up getting Montreal'd out of her title. The masked jobber she was supposed to go over that night shoot-pinned her with a small package, and the ref made a fast count and ended the match even though Richter had clearly kicked out at like one and a half. As it turned out seconds later, her opponent was actually a disguised Fabulous Moolah, who would go on to hold the title for another two years or so.

Video footage. The incident is about seven minutes in.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA
Giant Tiger as well.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA
Was there any particular in-character reason Jim Cornette carried a tennis racket? I remember seeing an interview where he said he started bringing it just in case crazy "it's still real to me" fans attacked him, but it just seems like an odd choice of weapons. I mean usually, with manager accessories, it's readily obvious why they're out there in the first place (the megaphone, the urn, Paul Heyman's giant cell phone, etc.).

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA
Ah, that makes a lot of sense, especially down south. Growing up in the Midlands, I remember tennis was always considered sort of an exclusionary upper-class sport. Not super upper-class, like polo or racquetball or something, but it definitely wasn't a big deal on par with basketball or, god forbid, college football.

Thanks!

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

Rarity posted:

CZW Booker: Oh man, we've run out of things to make out of lighttubes. We've done cages, we've done ladders, we've even done a Kennel from Hell. I guess we're just gonna have to close up shop, boys. We're done he-
CZW Road Agent: Hey dude check it out! I just built a lighttube made of lighttubes!
CZW Booker: :aaa:

Been there, done that. At the (I think) 2004 King of the Deathmatch, there was this absolutely stellar fight between Necro Butcher and Mr. Insanity that went all around the arena and had, like, hurracanranas and a plancha off the top to the floor. (It was seriously awesome. Admittedly, I'm the one person on PSP who likes deathmatch antics, but for what little that's worth I enjoyed the hell out of it. The best part, besides Necro's sudden interest in lucha, was CM Punk alternately marking out and laughing in shocked disbelief on commentary.) About 3/4 of the way through, Necro goes digging through the plunder to find a weapon, and he comes up with a giant lighttube made of smaller lighttubes duct taped together.

He gets this huge goofy grin that kinda looks like Luke Harper in all the Wyatt vignettes, it's great.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

astrollinthepork posted:

Are any of these guys notable for any reason at all?

Uh, it says right there that Bryan Castle is the world's most huggable wrestler, I don't know what more you want.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

Halloween Jack posted:

What does it mean when people say that Mexican wrestlers "don't bump?" Do they just roll out of everything? Do they just not do moves that you can't roll through?

For the most part, yeah. Especially in the multi-man tags, they try to maintain a certain pace, which means almost everything gets rolled through in some way. Taking a real bump, like a big slam or something, breaks up that momentum, so it's not done mid-match (or mid-fall, since it's often 2/3 falls). That's why usually, if you see one, that person's about to get pinned.

This is a generalization, of course, but the fast pace is pretty much a defining characteristic of lucha.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

SpaceWolfPurrp posted:

Does anyone know the name of New Japans cool old guy ref? Like the guy who was reffing Okada Vs Devitt? I'm guessing he's the top ref guy or something because he's mostly in the main event from what I've seen. Him and Rick Knox are the coolest refs I've seen and I need to know his name.

The ref from Okada/Devitt is Red Shoes Unno, he's pretty awesome and has been around for pretty much as long as I can remember. (VogeGandire is right that Tiger Hattori is pretty much the go-to "cool old guy ref", though.)

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

Halloween Jack posted:

You've got to tell me what this is, here or in the Carnies thread.

That whole "Mega Powers implode" story where Savage was obsessively paranoid about anyone else coming near Elizabeth was basically a shoot gimmick. During the period when they were married, when she wasn't on the road with him he would lock her in the house and forbid her from leaving it or associating with any of his coworkers.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

NienNunb posted:

Has there ever been a notoriously terrible feud/match from NJPW? All I've seen from them has been consistently good, so I'm curious if they've ever had any especially bad blunders.

Good god, yes, anything involving Kazuyuki Fujita. He had multiple IWGP heavyweight title reigns in the mid-2000's, was part of the worst G1 Climax finals I've ever seen with Masahiro Chono (who was decrepit and incredibly lazy at that point, but still booked the company to revolve around himself), and at the end of his final reign, main evented a show in a ten-minute squash triple threat where he wasn't even pinned - Brock Lesnar hurled him out of the ring and murdered Chono to get the belt.

It was really, really bad.

NienNunb posted:

What exactly happened? I heard Inoki is carny as hell, so this should be pretty bad.

Inoki wanted pro wrestling and MMA to be some kind of terrifying hybrid entity, and obsessively pushed it in his booking - hiring shoot fighters, forcing his wrestlers to go participate in MMA if they wanted a push, booking 'shoot style' matches in his shows, and so on. The problem was threefold:

1) most of the fighters he hired couldn't work a match to save their lives
2) when his wrestlers were in fights they were usually destroyed due to comparative lack of experience/training, making them look embarrassingly bad
3) most importantly, wrestling crowds don't want to watch MMA, they want to watch wrestling

I think a lot of this might've stemmed from personal insecurity on his part. He wasn't taken seriously in MMA due to being a pro wrestler so he wanted to defend wrestling from 'outside incursions' and so on.

Solomonic fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Aug 6, 2013

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

jeffersonlives posted:

Eh this isn't really true and it's even more not true in Japan.

That's fair. Admittedly I don't know poo poo about MMA so I may have been entirely misguided there.

Chortles posted:

From what I recall of the mid-2000s, NOAH tried putting over the young guys during the collaborating days with ROH, the problem being that the fans just wouldn't loving take to whoever the bookers picked. Hell, Kobashi's legendary two-year run at the top with the GHC Heavyweight Championship? It coincided with some of the worst of INOKISM~ yet of all of the people to finally defeat him, it was Takeshi Rikiou. If you have no idea who that is... that's why it was a bad call.

I feel like Rikio could've been a real star - his first shot at Kobashi was good - but after that, they just started booking him as the 'auxiliary tag partner' for a while and it didn't mean anything. If he'd pinned Tenryu in the tag on 1/8/05, for example, that would've been huge and people might have cared more about him, but of course it was about Misawa. So when it came back around to him being the #1 contender again, it felt like his win came entirely out of nowhere because Kobashi had already beaten him once and he hadn't done anything of value since then.

(You may want to disregard all of this, because I also think Akiyama should've gotten the belt in their 2004 match, which I have been told makes me a crazy person.)

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

Valeyard posted:

This might go outside the scope of this thread a little, but how much money would it take you to get into an MMA fight with Brock Lesnar?

Probably not an exorbitant amount. Let's face it, going in and getting knocked out with one punch (which is exactly what would happen to me) sounds pretty easy!

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

oatgan posted:

As for specific examples I don't think I've ever heard of one and I don't remember who said that about Ace to begin with.

I did some searching on Google and the only example I found was that he apparently came up with the ending to Edge and Lance Storm at Summerslam 2001. (It happens at about 13 minutes in)

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

Nick_326 posted:

During the respective time periods of those clips, was Lawler a heel or a face?

He was a heel during the second one - it's weird in light of what his character's like this days, but Lawler was a major heel back in the nineties (especially when he got onto the commentary team). Faces would often compare him unfavorably to the Burger King mascot for cheap pops. Plus this was during Goldust's first face run, I think, when he was feuding with Brian Pillman.

I'm not positive on the first one but I feel like he's almost definitely the face in it, Jimmy Valiant seemed to be cutting a heel promo and Lawler got cheers for shooting him down.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA
I was watching an interview with Davey Boy Smith Jr today and he said that in WWE, you're only allowed to make one save in a tag match, and then if you do it again it's a DQ. Is this true? :stare: I don't think I've ever heard that actually stated on TV, and I thought I'd seen multiple saves in the Shield tags, but thinking back I don't recall clearly enough.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

sticklefifer posted:

hoping Shelton would catch him and reverse it into whatever his finisher was.

And the best part is he loving did it! The stuff that apparently just comes instinctively to wrestlers amazes me sometimes.

e: beaten even worse than jericho with the beeboo crawshanks

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA
Cliff Compton talks a little about him and Luke Gallows getting threatened in Nigeria in his Art of Wrestling interview as well.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

Die Laughing posted:

I think OSW covered it, but what happened with the Undertaker/Ultimate Warrior angle? Warrior getting locked in the casket must have been traumatizing to six year old me because I still remember it vividly.

Warrior did a series of vignettes where Jake the Snake was training him to beat the Undertaker, but then Jake turned on him and revealed that he had been working with the Undertaker all along. They didn't have a blowoff match (which I guess would've then segued into a blowoff with Taker) because Warrior held Vince up for more money and got released.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA
Sting had an eleven or twelve-year face run, didn't he? I know he turned heel towards the end of WCW but I don't know if there was a point between the Blade Runners and that heel turn where he wasn't a face.

(unless you count NWO Sting, I guess :v:)

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

jeffersonlives posted:

He did turn heel for about a month during the earlier stages of the Crow angle but after the fake Sting part, then turned back at Uncensored 97.

Of course! For some reason that totally passed me by when I was thinking about it - I had it in mind as "everyone wonders whose side Sting is on" but that was as far as it went.

A lot of my memory of WCW feels like it's painted in broad strokes, so to speak (this may be a defense mechanism). I had completely forgotten about the West Hollywood Blondes until I heard Review A Wai mention them, and then memories flooded back of Chris Jericho calling Lenny Lane "Larry" and demanding the return of his CDs.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

Holy poo poo.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

Jerusalem posted:

Jeans. You have to wear jeans or it can't be legally recognized as a Street Fight.

If you wear kneepads over the jeans, it's a Bunkhouse Brawl.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

triplexpac posted:

While we're talking about Flair in WCW, what was the deal when he cut his hair? Did they even do a hair match or did he just come out one day looking all lame and not Ric Flair-ish?

If it's the time I'm thinking about, he had a hair match with either Bischoff or Russo, I believe the latter, and lost through typical WCW screwjobbery. I only remember this because afterwards they shaved his hair to look like Hogan's.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

jalopybrown posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yApQl9whGLY 57 minutes in, it's Russo and David vs Ric and Reid, 59 mins if you just want the towel thrown in and head shaving.

There it is! That impromptu Hogan haircut is still as funny now as it was back then.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA
He'll be too busy enjoying his next-of-kin inheritance.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

The Cosby Mysteries posted:

Everyone that didn't watch wrestling in 2008 watch this tribute and thank the wrasslin gods for Vickie Guerrero and Brad Maddox.

Holy christ. How did you people survive?

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA
I personally enjoy OSW Review's impression of Vince's announcing voice.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA
In kayfabe reasoning, why is a wrist-clutch version of a move more effective than the basic version?

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

Tonfa posted:

I've been watching Jun Akiyama matches from 2000 and my question is, why didn't this guy become a huge star?

NOAH never really pulled the trigger on him. If he'd beaten Kobashi for the GHC title that probably would've cemented him; instead, he lost (although the match was awesome) and just kind of gradually faded away into midcard multi-man-tag hell and became just another dude.

e:fb

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

Red posted:

1. What was the first match you remember watching?
1a. What year (estimate) did this take place?
2. What was the first angle you remember?
2a. What year (estimate) did this take place?
3. What match/angle got you interested into following wrestling closely?
3a: What year (estimate) did this take place?
4. How old are you?
5. If you watched wrestling as a kid, who were your top 3 favorite wrestlers (rank favorite to least favorite, 1 to 3, with 1 being most favorite).

1. Vader and Sid Vicious murdering the living hell out of some jobbers.
1a. Around 1993 or so.
2. God help me, it was the angle where Vader powerbombed Cactus Jack on the pavement, and then somebody (Tony Schiavone?) went around trying to find Cactus Jack and it turned out he was in Cleveland and had amnesia. :cripes:
2a. Wikipedia says this was also in '93, so there we are.
3. Having returned from Cleveland, Cactus Jack shows up in the WWE even crazier, wearing a mask, and calling himself Mankind, and proceeds to get into this bizarre war of attrition with the Undertaker. My young mind found all the crazy psychological stuff and how the violence escalated more and more and more as it went on to be pretty awesome.
3a. 1995 and, um, onwards. Taker and Mankind kinda feuded on and off for the rest of the Attitude era, almost.
4. 27.
5. 1) Sting 2) Cactus Jack 3) Legion of Doom (they were past their prime at this point but I sure as hell didn't know)
Honorable mention: Kensuke Sasaki, my favorite Worldwide mainstay. Man, was I in for a shock when I got into puro ten years later.

Re: the first heel I liked, it was definitely Vader. As a kid Sting was my hero who could do no wrong, but I totally respected Vader for being able to maul him and also for being a huge scary motherfucker. I used to think it'd be the coolest thing ever if he became a good guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA
Re: signature moves, I like the Tarantula (or I guess the Dilemma, these days), Bryan's 'get sent to the corner, backflip, hit the ropes, flying clothesline' routine, and lately, Big E Langston's ground splash. He gets some serious air on that thing.

Also, shout out to Kana's eight million variations on the hip attack, it's like watching Chris Hero in 2004 finding new ways to bust out cravates, plus it usually looks surprisingly brutal. I mean, throwing your rear end at somebody is usually sort of a comedy spot, it's not supposed to be all "oh, I think you just concussed Meiko Satomura".