Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Bacon Terrorist posted:

Also the latest update showing the lucky backer who won the chance to be first backed to receive the game getting picked up from the airport in Ecto 1 is awesome!

Here's a link in case anyone is interested

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cze/ghostbusters-the-board-game/posts/1402352

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
I didn't even have to get out of my seat to grab my old dog-eared, yellowed page copy off the shelf:

Not that it's a beloved book of mine, Milne writes the entire thing in the present tense instead of the usual narrative past tense so the entire thing is like "Louis runs for his life. He has no idea where he's heading, and really doesn't care. Just as long as that - thing doesn't get hold of him" rather than "Louis ran for his life. He had no idea where he was heading, and really didn't care. Just as long as that - thing didn't get hold of him."
Not that there's actually anything wrong with that, it was just so odd to me that I couldn't read more than a few pages.

Note that the cover doesn't describe it as "A novel based on the movie" but "A novel based on the screenplay". I'm pretty sure that Milne just sat at his typewriter with the script sitting in front of him and transcribed it with descriptions of the action added in between the dialogue.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Producer: So that ghost in the logo, they must really loving hate that guy, right?
Writer: No that's just a generic ghost
Producer: No but I mean, they singled him out for the logo which means "We hate this, we oppose this, gently caress this dude", right?
Producer: Man, I bet they can't wait to get their hands on that guy! They'll really gently caress him up! A real balls to the wall slobberknock fight! Audiences will love it!
Producer: Great, great, have that script on my desk by next Tuesday. Ghost Fighters versus logo dude.
Writer: Sure whatever

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Lastdancer posted:

While I've enjoyed Feig's movies in the past, my concern for this one is, like you've said, that there will be an overabundance of stuff like cursing and dick jokes found in his previous films specifically because these elements are not what I think of when I think of Ghostbusters. What I remember is a film loaded with memorable quips spouted constantly by interesting characters and visuals that treated the subject matter with respect despite being a comedy film.

The original GB had cursing and dick jokes

quote:

Profanity

- many uses of poo poo

- 1 use of Goddamn

- 4 uses of rear end

- 1 use of rear end in a top hat

- 1 use of Bitch (Lets show this prehistoric bitch.....)

- 2 uses of Piss

- MANY uses of Hell

- 2 uses of Dick ("he's dickless" and "yes, this man has no dick. That's what I heard!")
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0087332/parentalguide

.... but I wouldn't call it an overabundance of cursing and dick jokes. It was a comfortable amount of dick.

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Feb 18, 2016

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

The Notorious ZSB posted:

I would actually argue the opposite. The property was amazing because of the amazing convergence of tools and talent. The original was special because of the cast chemistry and those writers.

There's been several movies that tried really hard to be the New Ghostbusters such as Evolution, MIB, RIPD and Pixels. MIB came close but the others fell wayyyyyyy short.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
I've been reading a few GB articles and just learned all about this crazy bitch of a musical instrument:

That's an Ondes Martenot, one of the earliest electronic musical instruments invented by Maurice Martenot in 1928. GB composer Elmer Bernstein used one of them to get the spooky theremin-like noises for the score in the opening library scene.

Here's one in action:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0aflcF0-ys

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Jamesman posted:

Evolution was good. :(

I realised I hadn't seen Evolution since it came out so I went and watched it again. It's a really good film and Duchovny and Jones are solid but I couldn't help but feel that young Bill Murray and Aykroyd or Ramis would have really elevated those roles.
I'd also completely forgotten that Aykroyd and Ethan Suplee had small roles in the film and Sarah Silverman appears as "woman who nearly takes her shirt off".

The film also has more Ghostbusters parallels than I'd remembered - the human antagonist is the army major who should have been on top of containing the problem but he doesn't listen to the heroes and when he tries to shut it down he instead creates a much bigger problem, in pretty much the same way that Peck doesn't listen to the Ghostbusters and shuts down the containment field.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

zVxTeflon posted:

The only bad thing about Evolution is Sean Williams Scott

The fact that the film starts with an extended scene of SWS being 'wacky' is a major drawback but this was just after American Pie and Road Trip and Dude, Where's My Car? so I guess he was supposed to be the big drawcard for the younger folks.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
I was wondering what the gently caress you guys were talking about, turns out The Rundown was called Welcome to the Jungle in Australia for some unknown reason.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Another one I noticed: their new equipment lab is based on the old firehouse interior

New:

Original:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

xezton posted:

Is it? Or is it the actual firehouse?
They open the trailer with a shot of the old firehouse. Maybe it's Holtzman's lab? Maybe it is somehow tied into the old movies? Dunno, but still cool!
The pillars and the bricks look different to me, seems like a set made to mimic the old set.
Btw, the original GB interior was a firehouse in Los Angeles, the exterior was the familiar old Hook & Ladder Company #8 in New York.

Escobarbarian posted:

"Well golly gee I don't know no science magic like you white ladies but I sho nuff make up for it with street smarts!"

Fabricated posted:

If trailer is any indication she'll be basically there to go "Aw shieeeet honey" and other sassy black lady caricature stuff, which is just...eugh.

Yeahhh that's not sitting well with me either. At least she looks pretty bad rear end when they get down to bustin' ghosts:

McKinnon also looks great. Wiig and McCarthy look terrible.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

paradoxGentleman posted:

I have not watched superhero movies in a while. Should I bother to play catch up if I am interested in those Wonder Woman and Ant-Man that were mentioned before? On the DC side of things I watched the first two of the new Batman movies and nothing else.

The new DC movies aren't related to the Christian Bale Batman movies. The Batman v Superman film will be Wonder Woman's first appearance but the Wonder Woman standalone movie will be telling her backstory so you'll probably won't need to watch any of the other movies before seeing it if you don't want to.
Antman And The Wasp will be a sequel to Antman so you might have to watch that one, but you probably won't have to have seen any of the other Marvel Cinematic Universe films. If any other established characters turn up you'll be able to figure out their characters/powers/motivations pretty easily.

xezton posted:

So how about that Holtzman reaction to the hearse eh? :D

Holtzman looks like a bunch of fun, I'm definitely on board for that.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
The downvote situation on the trailer is about how you'd expect it to be:

There's currently 56,849 comments but apparently Sony have been busy deleting the worst ones.

Edit: oh hey I wonder if anyone has made a reaction video to the new trailer yet ...

:suicide:

Edit 2: :nignog:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPv943x1kXs

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Mar 4, 2016

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

JoshVanValkenburg posted:

I honestly think it will go like Friday the 13th and Nightmare on Elm St... It will do okay, but not okay enough for a sequel to get off the ground. I would love for it to be incredible and launch a new Ghostbusters franchise for years to come, but I'm not expecting it.

Eh, there's also been a bunch of recent remakes that got sequels: Clash of the Titans, Halloween, The Hills Have Eyes, Journey to the Center Of The Earth and The Ring all got sequels and Planet of the Apes and the Texas Chainsaw Massacre* both got prequels. Upcoming remake sequels include Alice Through the Looking Glass and Journey 3: From the Earth to the Moon.

* They subsequently ignored the new TCM films and made another sequel to the original TCM and there'll also be a prequel to the original this year.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

xwing posted:

I'll have to rewatch the trailer on the 30 years deal. I think they could easily frame it as a soft reboot.

Most of the surviving cast of the 80s GB films are making cameos in the new film but they're not playing their original characters. Aykroyd is a taxi driver, etc etc.. That would indicate that it's a hard reboot.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Basebf555 posted:

It was sharp and funny enough to appeal to adults, and then when it hit home video those adults showed it to their kids. I first saw the movie because my parents took me to a dinner at another couple's house, and when dinner was over everyone sat down together to watch Ghostbusters. That kind of scenario probably played out in millions of households because of how the movie works on so many levels.

Its release was also perfectly timed with the start of the horror comedy film resurgence of the early 80s which became a tidal wave in the following years, with Ghostbuster's popularity probably contributing to that a fair deal.

GB was also a massive box office smash hit, making it the 34th biggest box office hit in film history (adjusted for inflation). Since Ghostbuster's release in 1984 there's only been 10 films that have beat it at the box office.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

xwing posted:

Come again? GB3?

The director and the screenwriter have both said it's a complete reboot and not a sequel:

Paul Feig posted:

We liked the idea that in today’s world there are all these ghost shows, Ghost Hunters and such, and you’re like, ‘Are they crazy?’ And so in our world today if a ghost appeared that would be a phenomenal event. It would be less if it were like, ‘Oh, yeah, that happened awhile ago.’

Katie Dippold posted:

One other reason to do it this way is today’s scientists don’t believe in the paranormal anymore. And so to say ghosts have existed for the past 30 years, it’s just a new world. In the original it’s so fun when the ghosts are unleashed on the city for the first time. It’s just such a fun thing. You don’t want to skip over it.
http://in.ign.com/movie/88802/preview/ghostbusters-watch-the-first-trailer-for-the-reboo

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

steinrokkan posted:

Yeah, when you edit out most of the new movie, the new movie looks pretty tolerable.

The pacing and music cues in the official trailer were poo poo

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

steinrokkan posted:

That's to fit in with the movie, which is also, quite obviously, poo poo.

It's a feature not a fault. It's thematic shittiness!!!

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
I wonder how many butthurt MRA fanboys are editing the new trailer and photoshopping the original Ghostbusters faces over the new characters' faces and dubbing in the old dialogue

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I wonder how many butthurt MRA fanboys are editing the new trailer and photoshopping the original Ghostbusters faces over the new characters' faces and dubbing in the old dialogue

Sasquatch! posted:

Yes, because he-man-woman-hating "men's rights activitsts" are the only people that could possibly not like this trailer. :rolleye:

I didn't like the trailer either. :ssh:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Gahmah posted:

That trailer was baaaaaad
Here is guuud

quote:

“I knew [the trailer] could be better,” Bevan said. “I added the original soundtrack, some original movie sound effects… and [cut] it into something I might enjoy watching.”

poo poo, I was joking about people replacing the new stuff in the trailer with old stuff from the original film but there we are.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Someone already dubbed the soundtrack of the original trailer over the new trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgqdLAySPcw

This one actually made me laugh.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3DbwtYzUCU

And then there's .... this .... :stare:
Warning: might contain slight traces of racism
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0d2bRaFcCb4

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
We'd like to get a sample of Infinitum's brain tissue

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

xezton posted:

So when I go back and watch the original Ghostbusters and see something like this:

Does that not date the film? Did people back in the 80's see that computer there and exclaim "OMG they're trying too hard to put current technology in this move UGH just goes to show how much it sucks"

GB2 had perhaps a better example when Egon researched Vigo the Carpathian via the "Occult reference net". That was pretty advanced for 1989 although it looks hilariously dated these days.

Edit: Janine's computer in the first GB is a DEC Rainbow 100, first released in 1982. They also appeared in Beverly Hills Cop, The Philadelphia Experiment, Buckaroo Banzai and Tales from the Darkside - Season 1, Episode 5, "Mookie and Pookie", all from 1984. Also Egon wired it up wrong!
http://starringthecomputer.com/computer.php?c=28
There were ad campaigns for the Rainbow 100 on TV so it wasn't incredibly widespread but it would have been fairly well known for a few years before Ghostbusters came out.

Edit 2: drat, this starringthecomputer.com site is actually pretty interesting, they have listings of actual computers appearing in movies and TVs all the way back to the late 50s. Even Santa CLaus Conquers The Martians featured a IBM AN/FSQ-7. A desktop computer in a 1984 movie wouldn't have been out of the ordinary at all.

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Mar 7, 2016

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

PBS Newshour posted:

Again, I am pretty sure that spoiler thing is bullshit. Like reddit being in the movie is something that is now possible in movies, but the way the guy brings it up it just sounds like he is "appealing to his base"

"And get this... Reddit is totally in the movie... Sorry guys"

A bunch of the stuff lines up with what AlexF says he saw in Germany but then again they might have used his post as a source and made up the rest. I guess AlexF could tell us whether he thinks this looked like the kind of movie that would namedrop Reddit.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Vintersorg posted:

That synopsis sounds like dreck though.

Yeah that's what convinced me it was genuine. :haw:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

xezton posted:

Looks like something big and important. Perhaps some sort of unit that contains/attracts ghosts?

Yep, that would be Rowan's machine for opening a portal/amplifying psychoknetic energy/attracting ghosts to NY. At this point in the movie he's possessing Hemsworth after Jones slapped him out of McCarthy's character.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

EDIT: ^^^ Wait, what am I missing with that line? Isn't Ray referring to the flat 'bench' thing that Gozer's standing on? Is it a hair joke? Have... have I missed that all this time? :psyduck:

It's a hairstyle "where the hair on the top of the head is usually standing upright and cut to form a flat-appearing deck"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flattop

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

PBS Newshour posted:

i would like to see your evidence for this

It's generally not considered to be a good thing if you can see evidence of farts

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

xezton posted:

No one's childhood is being raped.

Someone once said that if people feel their childhood was being raped they could simply avoid that by ............. growing up.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

xezton posted:

Do you often refer to a vagina as a "crack"?

I always assumed that referred to a butt. Calling a vagina a crack is new to me.

Definition #7 at Urban Dictionary which, as we all know, is a source beyond reproach

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Applewhite posted:

Oh no, another trailer came out and the movie looks even worse!
I already said the movie was gonna be good and I don't want to lose face by changing my mind, better double down and try to convince people that the greatest paranormal comedy of all time, and one of the greatest films of all time, was actually not that good...

"Yes, kids, you only like Ghostbusters, a film that defined a genre and irrevocably changed the face of American culture, because of nostalgia. If all of you would just grow up and be mature about this, you could laugh at the woman getting puked on by a ghost for what is surely a much longer period of time than was shown in the trailer. You want subtle humor and wordplay? What about when one of the characters wears a goofy wig?
When you think about it, the new Ghostbusters actually looks great when you compare it to the steaming crap-fest that was the original."

Don't forget that it was also a phenomenal commercial success

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

GB was also a massive box office smash hit, making it the 34th biggest box office hit in film history (adjusted for inflation). Since Ghostbuster's release in 1984 there's only been 10 films that have beat it at the box office.
For the 2016 Ghostbusters to be a comparable box office success to the 1984 film it'd have to make almost as much money as The Avengers did.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

ImpAtom posted:

Like the sequel to Ghostbusters, featuring the same cast, has a long ongoing plot about a river of dancing emotion slime.

... and Egon took a sample home and put his dick in it.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

boom boom boom posted:

I use people's reaction to Pacific Rim to determine their opinion on nuclear power

I'm a big fan of analog nuclear power.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Retarded_Clown_ posted:

On topic: I have yet to see any toys shown so far, though I think I may have seen a few LEGO sets of the firehouse. That may be for the original though. I'm sure though that in the coming months plenty of merch will be available.

The film is still four months from hitting screens so yeah, once Batman v Superman and Captain America: Civil War and their merchandising blitzes are out of the way expect to see some new GB stuff hitting shelves.

Edit: poo poo, GB 2016 drops after TMNT 2, Warcraft, Finding Dory, Independence Day and The Secret Life of Pets and will be followed by Star Trek Beyond, Ice Age: Collision Course and Jason Bourne. TMNT 2 should have died down by then but that's still some pretty stiff competition.

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Mar 10, 2016

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

boom boom boom posted:

will ghostbusters be better than the warcraft movie?

I loving hope so, for their sakes.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Scroto Baggins posted:

Remember in Ghostbusters when a doctor drugged a possessed woman? Good stuff.

You mean that scene in Ghostbusters when a doctor turned up for a date with a woman and just coincidentally happened to have medical grade roofies with him? I do remember that!

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Mar 11, 2016

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Groovelord Neato posted:

the joke in posting that is she's licking a dick.

The reference is that she doesn't need a man's dick since she has plenty pseudo-dicks of her own. It's a castration metaphor.

I'm kidding. OR AM I???? WHOOOooOOOOoooOO!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

precision posted:

I used to think his ur-goon act was just that - an act

If it is an act it's one he's been pulling off flawlessly and without dropping character for at least 14 years now

• Locked thread