Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

AlphaDog posted:

A friend of mine has been mocking me for buying a $110 keyboard since I got mine a year ago. I showed him this thread, and all the people saying something very much like what you said, and his opinion was that it was all in our heads and a keyboard's a keyboard.

His computer broke, and he needed to write something up for work, so I told him he could come round here and use mine for a couple of hours. He spent most of that typing, and then went out and bought the exact same keyboard as me (Leopold with brown switches) the next day, saying "It was like only ever having sat in the shittiest office chairs from K-mart and laughing at all the "suckers" in their comfortable chairs".

He'd used it for a few minutes at a time before, but after a couple of hours of typing he couldn't resist getting one.

If you're going to spend big on a part, it may as well be the one you're touching all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Agreed posted:

My experience is admittedly not very broad, but I love the linear actuation and great sensitivity (plus normal key size, nothing outlandish here) of the Corsair K60 (which I guess would be a K70 now with some extra features like all mechanical keys and backlit keys, features which Dogen notes are all improvements, not distractions). If key travel or insensitivity is a problem for you, these MX Cherry Red switches are a perfect antidote. I've tried them both with red o-rings and without, and I like them either way; they fit the larger o-rings if you really want to reduce travel and make bottoming out the key impossible. It doesn't have anything fancy apart from a swank media center control group and of course the fact that it's entirely mechanical, but it is one hell of a keyboard, great for anyone who likes a sensitive touch without totally losing the tactile feel in the bargain.

And if you do need macro keys, they have the K90/95 for $20 more than their respective non-macro versions (90 being the K60+macros, 95 the 70+macros.)

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Jul 6, 2013

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Agreed posted:

I have a sweet rear end idea. I'll just buy a K95, do the RMA then, and when the K60 replacement (whatever it shall be) arrives, I'll pull a Dogen and pass it on to a fellow friend who MUST KNOW the BEAUTY of these things.

In not-me-world chat, Cherry Blacks look interesting. Significantly higher actuation force, but linear. Huh. Weird. Maybe one day I'll get into keyboards like I got into headphones and guitar gear and audio equipment and just totally nerd out, put together a color-coordinated collection. If my wife doesn't punch me in the face as hard as she can (haha she can't throw a punch, I'm golden!).

Have you ever had a keyboard with macro keys before?

If not, and you just think they'll be useful, they probably won't be. They're out of the way and with a few exceptions there's just not a whole lot in games you'll need to use them for.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The Mamba is the only mouse I could find with a charging cradle that doesn't look like a Decepticon testicle.

I needed a cradle.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

These non-clicky keys on the K70 make plenty of click, so what do the clicky kind do? Do they click twice, from pressing and then hitting the base? Or do most people not type as hard as I do?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Dogen posted:

Well that's the noise of the key hitting the plate - of you bottoming out. Tactile keys have a 'bump' that you can feel when the key actuates. Browns have the bump with no additional noise, blues make a click when you hit the bump.

Right, so is that 2 clicks with a blue then? Bump, then bottom?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I'm almost able to type my password without mistakes on mine. I've had it since Thursday.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I had a Logitech macro keyboard before, so the main adjustment is that my keys are all a good few inches to the left of where I'm used to.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I use the regular caps because the gaming ones don't have the shift symbols on the numbers, and despite touch typing for years I have no idea which ones are on which number.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The few times you can't copy and paste serial keys are the only times I ever use caps lock.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Agreed posted:

My wife wants my K95 to glow more. BULLSHIT, it glows just right :3:

Does it not have the same levels as the K70? The high setting on the K70 hurts my eyes.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Dogen posted:

The K70 comes in black aluminum with red LED or silver aluminum with blue. I have the silver/blue and...

Seriously the low setting is almost too bright. The brightest setting is like the sun.

Yeah, aluminum/blue for me too. I would guess the red isn't as bad, but red/black is so overdone.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Well it depends where you get your number from. A game won't be a realistic speed.

I don't type 120 , but I know I type faster than Coleman.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

You don't turn off the backlight when you're not using it?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I think the backlight is less fancy too, or something. Not a big deal though.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

You don't know how he sits. Maybe his chair is way lower than the keyboard.

And also has slanted armrests. And also tilted backwards.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

If nothing else, because I don't have those symbol keys memorized.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Coxswain Balls posted:

Heads up for anyone who needs a Corsair RMA in Canada to make drat sure that they mark it as a warranty replacement in the customs form. UPS has been trying to charge me tax and their ridiculous brokerage since they say it's not marked as a warranty replacement anywhere on the parcel, and getting Corsair to contact UPS to fix the issue has been like pulling teeth. It's been sitting at a depot for three weeks, and Corsair's been dragging their feet with it. The previous person I spoke with told me to just pay the cost and I'd be reimbursed. I was about to go pick it up today, but I didn't see anything noted in the RMA ticket about reimbursement. I called in to confirm, and they told me that they don't see any notes saying to do that, and that they don't do any reimbursements like that.

All for two defective LEDs. Yeesh, if I knew it was going to take this long, I'd have just put up with it.

Well on the plus side when you have to RMA it again for more inevitable failures you'll know what to do.

The LEDS on the K70 are crap.

Edit: Or more likely the LEDs themselves are fine, and the boards are poorly constructed. The problem most people have is systematic LED failure.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Sep 9, 2013

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Agreed posted:

You left out the "but nobody really bought it" part, and the "some people might still hold a grudge" that contextualized my post as being pretty much exactly what you're saying :geno:

What's another board on the market with 18 on-board storage macro keys + switchable polling rates for ideal compatibility? Those are the two really stand-out features in my opinion, as far as the K95 goes. The K70 looks swank and that seems to be the start and end of its "exceptional" selling point.

The K70 has the polling rate stuff too.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yes, it comes with keytongs.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Coleman posted:

I use Caps Lock as my talk key for Vent/in games, so I remapped it to ScrollLock. That button isn't used at all, anymore, obviously, but it also gives it a function so that you can still bind it to games when needed.

Excel still uses Scroll Lock!

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

TheRationalRedditor posted:

I've lost F3 on my 6 month old K70 and it's not bothering me so far, but this is good to hear.

I'm down like 8 including all of my left modifier keys. I probably should do something about that, this thing is awful with the lights out.

But I live in Canada so it's probably a huge hassle. I remember someone last year had a big issue with import fees and UPS.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Aug 9, 2014

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Coxswain Balls posted:

That was me. Just make goddamn sure that they mark it as a warranty replacement on the import form and you should be fine. Unfortunately, some random LEDs are crapping out on my replacement, but after the crap that happened last year I'll just put up without them. The warranty is two years, so if there's some pressing need for a backlit keyboard again, I have plenty of time to request a new one.

Last time I mentioned it Agreed insisted it's just a thing that happens to LEDs, but I think with how early, frequently, and in bunches the LEDs in them tend to fail that Corsair is cutting some corners.

Wouldn't be the first time.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I've looked into the warranty exchange for my K70 since it came up here, and apparently they don't actually make the Silver/Blue version anymore.

People with it are saying they've been offered the grimdark version, a K95, or a refund.

I don't really want a K95, it's too big. So I think I'm going to buy the RGB when it comes out and then take the refund option. From their website the new RGB switches seem to be made differently from the current terrible LED ones.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Agreed posted:

You sure? The K95 will take the K70's wrist rest if you happen to use that, but I do agree that it appears the upcoming board is going to be a step up in quality. I like my K60 (Dogen is still The loving Man), I like my K95, but it's lost additional lights since I last kvetched about that aspect of it and try as I might I can't just make that "ok" in my head - it's something I paid for, and they kinda hosed it up. I dunno, principle of the thing, we'll see how many LED deaths it takes for me to more actively pursue a replacement instead of politely declining for the time being on the grounds that it was just one key, I'm a touch typist anyway, etc. - I guess somewheres around five more, +/- 2 :p

There's a huge topic on Corsair's support forums about the failing LEDs on these.

Apparently blue ones fail more often but red does plenty of failing too.

I have 15 dead LEDs on mine. It actually does cause problems because some are numbers and I can't always remember which key which shift symbol is on.

I still have a year left on the warranty so if the RGB does come out in September like it's supposed to I have plenty of time to RMA it.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

ijyt posted:

Is there a major difference I'm missing with the Corsair RGB and current K70/95 other than the colours?

The LEDs in the current K70 and 95 are bad. They may be improved in the RGB, but nobody knows.

Otherwise no.

In the US, the RGB is a $40 premium over the current ones.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Combat Pretzel posted:

Bad in what way? Because I think I want a K70, likely the RGB version tho (because I'd like white illumination in certain cases).

They die fast and in bunches.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They stopped making them with blue LEDs too so it definitely seems likely.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Wasabi the J posted:

Good; maybe everyone will stop using blue LEDs then.

loving hate eye-searing blue LEDs. It doesn't matter what brightness setting they're at, I swear I feel like I'm getting myopia or something.

REDBLACK is worse.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I want an RGB so I can make a waving American flag.

Anyone who doesn't is a commie.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The name Massdrop is meant to be taken literally.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Razers are knockoffs of Cherrys.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

pienipple posted:

Nope. Razer is using switches made by Kaihua/Kailh which are straight knockoffs of Cherry MX switches. Green = Blue and Orange = Brown. Supposedly there's more gold on the contacts to make them last longer than their Cherry counterparts.

Only the new Cherry RGB variants have the clear case.

And apparently Corsair is the only manufacturer that will be getting those because they say they co-developed it or something.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

cobalt impurity posted:

It doesn't destroy my way of life, but I'm going to miss it.

It is ruining mine. One of my monitors has 2 ports but is too close to another to fit anything there, so its hub is useless. The other one is full.

I had to use one of my front panel USB connectors for my mouse's receiver, like some kind of animal. What if I need to simultaneously plug in 4 devices now?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Rexxed posted:

USB passthrough means that both devices need to either draw 500mA or provide their own power. It's an uncommon feature on keyboards that need more power themselves for things like backlighting.

Yeah, it's just that the old K70 had it. Presumably the RGB needs more power so it was dropped.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

cobalt impurity posted:

^^^^^^^^^^
e: I read on the Corsair forums that Amazon pulled their listings because of a hardware revision that's coming out. Allegedly it's a small change in the Corsair logo, and they're swapping the USB plug with the "passthrough" symbol for a blank one or one with a keyboard on it too.

The K70 RGB needs two USB plugs to power it. I guess they didn't want to have a third plug on there just for a passthrough. I need a powered hub anyway, there's a lot of poo poo I only need sometimes but it's a pain in the rear end to crawl under my desk, and I don't have enough power to keep them all plugged in at once.

A Corsair rep denied it, Amazon is just sold out.

AlternateAccount posted:

Ugh, dammit, but I want this keyboard tomorrow.

Newegg has stock.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The lighting options on the K70 RGB are pretty silly.

I made an EKG, a scanning Cylon/Knight Rider light, and the James Bond gunshot intro.

And when I press a key, Captain America's shield appears.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Once they (hopefully) add in support for delays and timers it should get even sillier. For the Bond intro thing what I had to do was create a gradient that is blank until about 6 seconds into its duration. It was trial and error fooling with values to get the right timing.

Full on keyboard light shows.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The only thing I see with mini anymore are PS3 controllers, which are 10 years old but still being manufactured.

My mother's GPS uses it too but it's also quite old.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I just caught Razer Synapse writing 30Mb/s to my SSD. It looks to have run away like this for days. I'm over 200TB in about 37 days.

So if you needed another reason not to buy Razer products, there's one. It will literally kill other manufacturer's products.

Also the K70 RGB has lag problems that are making writing this post pretty annoying. Probably something that can be fixed in firmware, but something to be aware of.

• Locked thread