Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Are people really unironically defending this game from criticism? I know it's been like 5 years since an official Mega Man game but come on, this is worse than some fan games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Acne Rain posted:

I don't see what you're talking about in this thread
There's "I'm playing the game and it is not great but also it is not Satan" posts, but I see no one defending it.

Well good that it's not here but I've seen it other places.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I have no idea what is going on with Ray's voice acting. What were they even going for? Did they do more than one take? Did the voice directors even speak English?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

What I don't like about this game's writing is the obnoxious reliance on horrible jokey-jokes.
And halting the pacing of a level entirely for unnecessary exposition and drawn out one-liners.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Unleashed's daytime levels weren't very good. Unless you really like holding the square button and QTEs.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Just play the mode that automatically skips all the cutscenes like a normal person and quit bitching. It's an indie game with good gameplay but an amateur story, who cares?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

LemonLimeTime posted:

When has a crossover ever been good?

uh well there's this one game that you might've heard of, it's called "Super Bash Sisters" or something like that...

Katsuma posted:

It's me. I'm the one who played Freedom Planet in story mode and unironically enjoyed it. :(

Were everyone else's childhood saturday morning cartoons less violent than mine, or something?

tone shift is a balancing act, freedom planet loses its balance pretty quickly

Augus fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jun 29, 2016

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Even weirder is that after the torture scene happens, any possible consequences from it are immediately fixed no string attached and the tone goes back to being bright and happy until that previously-mentioned other sudden brutal tonal shift. So it's entirely unnecessary and is just trying to be edgy I guess? It's pretty hilarious honestly.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Gammatron 64 posted:

I'd almost say the games kind of come across as the opposite. Dr. Robotnik doesn't want to destroy the world, he just wants to take it over and make an "Eggmanland". And he's not even all that evil - just kind of misunderstood and he's like a strange sort of "frenemy" with Sonic. However he is considerably more evil and insane in the comic books so that characterization fits.

In the actual Mega Man games, it isn't entirely clear what Wily's motives actually are beyond his rivalry with Dr. Light and a desire to conquer the world for some reason. In the X series, Wily is responsible for Zero and the Maverick virus, and while he never shows up directly, he has a kind of ominous presence in the background. Wily always kind of stuck me as a more unhinged madman who just wanted to blow everything up.

That said, I think this is all fine because there's been 20 years of Sonic comics and Robotnik's character was well established in that. On the flip side, the Mega Man games have very little in terms of storyline or characterization so the comics fleshing out characters like Dr. Wily is good.

Depends which version of Robotnik you're talking about, actually.
Genesis-era Robotnik could be pretty drat malevolent, just look at Sonic CD. He was able to be a strong antagonist despite his dorky appearance.
Adventure-era Robotnik was someone who took himself very seriously and Sonic treated him as a joke, but he could also up the ante and become a serious threat.
After Sonic 06 he became more of an incompetent goofball as part of the series pushing back against the dark and edgy pit it had fallen into.
And then Sonic Boom takes it even further by just making him a sitcom antagonist frenemy, because Sonic Boom isn't really interested in telling an action-adventure story.

As far as I've seen, the post-Penders comics treat Eggman more like his old-school self, he's an eccentric goofball but he can and will cause serious damage if he's allowed to.

Eggman's actually an oddball case because while he's gone through many different iterations just like the rest of the Sonic franchise, he's also the only example of something that manages to be consistently great (more or less) despite all of these schizophrenic changes. Eggman's just an awesome character.

Wily's pretty consistent though. People didn't buy his robots or something, he's pissed, he starts breaking things with his robots and then begs for mercy when Mega Man breaks his toys. The final iconic confrontation in Mega Man 2 was him using a hologram to trick Mega Man into thinking he had turned into a super-powered alien. There's never been any effort put into showing real consequences and loss of life as a result of Wily's actions, while Eggman turns the world into a lifeless mechanical dystopia if he wins.

Augus fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jun 30, 2016

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

To fix Mighty No 9 you'd also need to fix the bad level design and boring and the weird gameplay choices that don't really make sense and make the pacing really awkward.

Air-dashing being infinite is silly, it removes any need for precise ground movement
Bosses need to stop regenerating their health if you don't dash into them immediately and also need to stop flying out of attack range and becoming invincible on top of that
Dashing into enemies doesn't add anything to the game but a score system.
Shade's level is garbage
The downward dash is impossible to cancel, and is really easy to press by accident causing Beck to drop 100 ft into spikes in slow motion.
The problems with presentation are actually a big deal. The game tends to rely on spectacle a lot but the presentation sucks the energy out of that. Jumping across cars speeding along a highway should not seem so boring.
Cryo is terrible and I hate her.
Instant death being the only source of difficulty most of the time isn't very fun. Neither are the spikes being placed in bizarre places just waiting to kill you for no particular reason.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I thought Shovel Knight was pretty easy but then on replays it was suddenly hard so I think I might just literally be a crazy person or something.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Penguissimo posted:

That or you were playing New Game+ mode.

No I wasn't

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Is the Striker Pack for PC or 3DS?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Mega Man ZX is really good. The Metroidvania elements are kinda dumb but everything else in the game more than makes up for that

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

LemonLimeTime posted:

Replaying Zero Collection and reminded how stupidly brutal getting the EX Skills is. Beating the games? No problem. Get an A or S rank on the 8-10 first stages? gently caress. That.

Has anyone been able to do it here? (mostly just for Zero 2 and 3)

Yep. It isn't terrible to get As barring a few select outliers, just gotta learn the layouts of the stages

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Simply Simon posted:

I value level design above everything else, so Zero 3 cannot win - Volteel, Childre, just too gimmicky and especially the first one is terrible. While Zero 2 has the best stage I've ever seen in a Mega Man game, Phoenix Magnion's.

I concede that weapon levels and cyber elves alone can be the deciding factor for people. I personally have always liked the weapon levels because it feels good to level up and get better, even in a Mega Man game; and Elves never bothered me, but even with the vastly reduced costs in comparison to Zero 1, they're still just at terrible idea in principle.

Zero 2 has that Air Fleet stage though, which looks cool but is terrible to play and I always hate getting up to that part.

I'm torn between the two, really. On one hand Elpizo is an awesome boss fight, on the other hand so is Omega

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Simply Simon posted:

Omega easily beats Elpizo too, no contest.

Actually yeah, the one-on-fight with Elpizo is awesome but the second phase where he turns giant is less so. Omega's pretty great for all 3 phases though.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I already have a DS and a doll to place on it so this is really cool!

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Zero 2 has the best intro stage ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxbEoUAqtAs

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

That's totally Flash Man's theme playing during the level. 100%

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

"I just wanted to give Zero a new, worse look" -Keiji Inafune

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Star Force is basically a straight downgrade from Battle Network. I don't know why they limited movement to only left and right (well, probably DS hardware limitation nonsense) but it makes the combat so much less fun.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

X4 is my favorite X game, followed by X1.
X4 lets you fight Ryu from Street Fightsr in the form of a robot dragon man

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

IronicDongz posted:

Zelda 2 is like my favorite old Zelda, that doesn't change that it's widely disliked

It's usually one of the first games Nintendo rereleases so it seems that people still buy it.
I personally quite like it, it's a fun weird mash-up of Zelda and Castlevania.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

As much as I love 2 and how it's pretty much perfect

That's a bit of an overstatement about the game that had the Boobeam Trap in it

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

KingSlime posted:

oh gently caress i'd play the hell out of that remastared megaman gb games concept

:yeah:

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

A site that hosts the game but didn't make it getting the DMCA notice a day after the game comes out? That doesn't make much sense to me, seems more likely that it's one of those dudes that goes around sending fake copyright warnings.

Anyway, AM2R is really awesome, it lives up to the quality of the Metroid series and you should play it. It's hard to think of better fangames that managed to be seen through to completion.

Dabir posted:

Uhh... thread title OK?

I'm not seeing any problems here.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

AM2R only got DMCAs taking down download links on other sites, no direct demand was sent out for its production to be halted. This has been confirmed by people involved in the project.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

A good poster posted:

They also removed the download from the game's homepage.

I'm guessing that was a decision made by the AM2R guys, they probably looked at it and said "well this is useless now" and scrapped it momentarily since the download links were all dead. The AM2R website doesn't actually directly host any downloads, they were all just links to other sites.

The details aren't all cleared up yet but basically they're saying the project isn't dead.

Augus fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Aug 9, 2016

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

LemonLimeTime posted:

Games › Let's talk about Metroid

You know Metroid is in fact about a Metal Man.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Metroid Pinball was also really awesome

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Schwarzwald posted:

It sounds like someone never beat the game in under two hours!

what does beating the game in two hours have to do with Anthony Higgs?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I would love to see all the gameboy Mega Mans remade, with II given special attention to put it in line with the others in quality. Like this concept that was poster earlier in the thread

LemonLimeTime posted:

Eh.

I personally really don't like MegaMan's sprite in MM7 to begin with anyways.
I quite like this 16 but rendition though:

From here:
http://www.themmnetwork.com/blog/2011/02/18/resurrecting-mega-man-mania-a-pitch-concerning-the-values-of-mega-man
The Gameboy Mega Mans really need more love, they are about as great as 8-bit Mega Man gets.

EDIT: I just realized that I'm replying to the same person who posted that remake concept here :downs:

A good poster posted:

Was this with the Gamecube versions, or the Wii remakes?

Gonna guess he's talking about the Gamecube versions. The motion controls aren't bad but they suffer from issues inherent to the Wii Remote pointer controls, like it being really easy for the game to lose track of the pointer with no quick and easy way to recenter it. Kinda a shame that Trilogy came before Nintendo caught on to gyro controls which were basically better in every single way. Also playing Trilogy hurts my hand after a little while.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

The biggest problem with the Trilogy version is that it doesn't have the cool effects that go along with each beam, like being able to see Samus's finger position using Thermal Visor (since the game explains her switching beams by moving her fingers) and her arm getting coated in ice when charging the Ice Beam. Those were cool as gently caress.

Corruption is not a bad game by any means but it is the weakest of the trilogy imo. I don't like the segmented nature of the world design, some of the uses of motion controls are pretty overtly gimmicky, the streamlining of certain elements like beams and missiles hurts the gameplay by limiting options and this kind of simplicity worked fine for the 2D games and all but Prime's gameplay benefits a lot more from being able to choose different beams and such.
Prime 1 is probably the most well-designed while Echoes is maybe more uneven but is my personal favorite.

legoman727 posted:

On a non Metroid Man note, if anyone's played MaGMMLC, could you do me a favor and list the boss weaknesses? I'm trying to do the post game arena and Dagger Man alone is obnoxious as hell, I'm going to have a hell of a time getting through the other 18 bosses.

Don't have an answer for this, but speaking of which does anybody have some recommendations of solid Mega Man fan games? I've already played Minus Infinity and Unlimited.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I played Rockman 4:BCAS. It's extremely fun and cool.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Someone actually looked at Toad Man and then said "Yep, these games are super dark and serious"

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Lurking Haro posted:

For those who are interested:
Mighty No 9 is now playable on Linux and Mac via Steam.
Steam-free version via Humble Bundle is coming up.

I misread that as Mega Man 9 :smithicide:

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Timid Mode should be nice so that I don't feel like utter garbage getting 0 Kudos on every stage my first time through.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Arrhythmia posted:

boomer kwanger has the best name of any robot master qtiyd

Duff McWhalen says gently caress you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Schwarzwald posted:

Honestly, if you're not enjoying the first game you're probably not going to enjoy the later games.

That's really not at all true, Zero 1 has pretty bad design compared to 2 and 3