Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?
This isn't very important... but does anyone know why TradeKing puts your order in at the previous day's after-hours close?

Two nights ago I put in an order for a stock to be bought the next day at market price. It closed ten cents higher in after market trading, but opened down at the previous day's actual closing. TradeKing submitted the order at the after-hours close and cost me an extra ten cents a share. Its no big deal at the end of the day, but what the hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?

Josh Lyman posted:

When you say after-hours close, do you mean 6pm ET, and when you say it opened down, are you referring to the first trade after 8am or the first trade after 9:30am?

It was SIRI. I know that Friday it closed in the 1.74 range, but in "after hours" it jumped in to the 1.80's. Well pre-opening at 0930 on Monday it had dropped back to the 1.70's again. I placed the order for "Market" on Monday morning to hopefully catch the start of the opening decline. But I noticed the trade wasn't made until after 9:30 - and it was made at 1.88 (the highest after hours close I think?)... except at that moment is was trading for about 1.78 in the open retail market.

I'll be perfectly honest and say that I'm not entirely sure how the pre and after hours market works in conjunction with my retail account. Although I know in the past I haven't been able to trade during them. Also, I just make occasional purchases in a small handful of stocks for the sake of a long term bet... so technically .10 cents isn't a big deal, but drat.

I usually do a limit on my orders and keep an eye on them, but I had to roll out and so I set it to "Market" hoping TradeKing would execute at the best price at the time (which they have in the past for me).

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

koolkal posted:

The ENTIRE market has gone up like 100% since 2009 so an incline should be expected unless it's a scam.

"Next time on American Greed... the NASDAQ composite index."

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Acquilae posted:

$10 billion taper and everything is downnnnnnn

...and back up

And look at it go and look at it go... it could go...

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Passive mad money investor/gambler....

I was worried about SIRI as I recently took some profits and reinvested around the last high a few months back and it's slumped since... but with all this buyout nonsense imagine my surprise when CNBC had it all over it's update ticker.

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Always thought Amazon would eventually become like the Costco of online retail. Pretty much all main profit comes from the Prime Membership fees and everything else is a much smaller profit margin.

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Same thing they said about the timeline. It only takes a matter of time.

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Dwight Eisenhower posted:

I can't wait until this thread is the "follow Gamesguy's trades for great goon profits" newsletter.

More like "Call 1-800-Gamesguy and leave me a message with your e-mail address and I'll send you my free report on how to become GOON RICH...".

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

PLUG be all like wooo. Then PLUG be all like oooh.

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Is there a specific strategy for targeting stock open prices based on closed market news, futures, etc. and then selling after the initial rise early in the trading day?... if there is one.

I've been dabbling with this a bit just with fun money that amounts to nothing and I'd like to read more if such a thing exists before committing more cash (gambling money).

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

SPEX

I completely forgot I had this until I saw it in the upward movers charts at 100%. Talk about a gamble.

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Whistling rear end in a top hat posted:

Do you think it's going to have another good day tomorrow? The chart reminds me of NEWL which had a few good days of 50%-90% gains on high momentum

Hard to tell. The futures are looking good for another up day, long term though its hard to say since their business is based essentially around them being patent trolls.

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

semicolonsrock posted:

Serious q for people who make investment decisions (ie sell or not) based on how much they bought a stock for: why do you do this?

Its pretty much the only way to legally gamble on the internet these days.

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Alas Boobylon posted:

The problem with NFLX isn't cable or satellite it's AMZN streaming eating their lunch

Isn't this a double dip though? Since HBO (mostly) is already available on Amazon.

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Are there any good IRC or chat channels people use? I stopped by ActiveTraders but it was pretty much a ghost town, I wonder if it picks up during trading hours.

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

greasyhands posted:

#daytraders on othernet used to be huge, and there were multiple sister channels. It's bee years since I went there though. But yes, they are all totally dead during non trading hours and have 1/10 the population

Thanks. Are there any good forums or places where traders go to chat during the day? When I try googling it all I get is paid chatrooms from swarmy looking sales websites.

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

NBG :getin:.

If you like compete gambling trading.

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Anyone getting in on PLNT? It's a tough market but I think their gonna do just fine.

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

DNova posted:

Is anyone gambling with NBG's swings?

A few times. Have to remember good news is bad and bad news good depending on the day of the week.

WTF SPWR. Left it on auto pilot and things looked good with First Solar but let's just forget the good news and tank this poo poo.

Untagged fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Aug 7, 2015

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

dogpower posted:

I'm deciding whether I should buy stocks or buy a motorcycle.

harleys appreciate in value like wranglers right. makes sense buy buy buy.

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

This market starting to feel like those moments right before your car tire falls off. One second it's good, one second it's bad, and then all of a sudden crash and burn.

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

jmzero posted:

More pressing, I think they'll see pressure from low cost competitors and difficulties getting current users to upgrade in perpetuity. Even if they don't, I don't think culture's current appetite for POV movie clips is likely to sustain itself. Their biggest competitor will likely be "not having a camera on your head". It could become uncool really fast.

I've recently seen several big named POV video people switch from GoPros to the newest generation of Sony Action Cams. Sony's been turning out a really good product that is cheaper and in some instances better than the GoPro. The space is getting crowded.

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Torpor posted:

https://www.google.com/maps/@29.1432856,-90.2172915,1689m/data=!3m1!1e3

I'm guessing that is a sign of how bad the oil and gas industry is in offshore GOM.

All of those nice utility looking boats that are sitting there instead of doing something helpful is probably not a good sign.

Edit: although I'm not sure when that was taken/ it seems like a lot of idle stuff. I wonder what it looks like now.

A few of those boats, especially the ones towards the top parked partially in the mud, appear to be older generation tenders. Probably waiting to get sold or scrapped.

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Harry posted:

Nikkei cratering again, might be another rough day tomorrow.

Means the markets up 3% today!

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Welp there's a CNBC headline implying people should invest in SPAM as a safe haven. :mmmhmm:

Should I move the cans I have from the pantry to the vault? Perhaps I should look in to a SPAM etf since physical SPAM is hard to store and the spot price can vary wildly.

No really, today is shaking up to be a funny market day.

Untagged fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Jan 7, 2016

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Is SUNE stressing SCTY or is the whole Nevada power thing that big of a deal to the stock.

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

China down 5% :unsmigghh:.

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Thought this might happen. Went in on SLV, GLD, among others up about 2% today. End of world stock plays paying off. :getin:.

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Another mini bloodbath overnight. Come on safety plays.

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Oh yeah come on SDS.

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Speaking of... My post debate SDS play did not bear any fruit. Guess I could just let that sit until the eventual collapse! :v:.

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Selling my SDS last week was a good idea. :raise:

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

greasyhands posted:

A lot of the solar manufacturers are essentially becoming utilities via PPAs...

Hoping my 8point3 shoots to the moon!

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

The VIX :newlol:

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Jim Cramer screaming about how this is all bogus and fake makes it time to sell it all.

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Seamonster posted:

I just learned my state (VA) just legalized medical. With a UNANIMOUS vote in the state senate :drat:

Oils. They just expanded the use from one to multiple conditions. A lot of headlines are missing the fineprint.

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Cheesemaster200 posted:

The question all investors should be asking themselves is: where else are you going to put your money?

Long SDS :getin:

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

The Butcher posted:

Mr. President please stop breaking the stock market. :mad:

And SKF.

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

This Kudlow interview on CNBC sure feels like it's going to be clipped for some future documentary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Doccykins posted:

if you thought that was bad get a load of this heathcare exec on now who thinks the pullback is 25% coronavirus and 75% Bernie Sanders

There's still a 1% chance of an asteroid folks!