Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
Okay I don't know how to share Instagram and don't even have an account but hopefully this works:
https://www.instagram.com/reel/CVaxGGqpf-v/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link
2023 Corvette Z06 reveal should be in an hour. A friend with a c7 Z06 already traded his in for only 5k less than he paid, bought a c8, while putting money down to reserve a z06 when they release.

Edit: well that didn't embed but it's the c8 Z06 on a dyno redlining at 8,600 rpms and sounds quite nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice
I didn't know what thread this belongs in, but since manuals were being discussed I definitely thought of this thread when I saw this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3VRK8au3dU

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Sab669 posted:

also has anyone ITT owned a stinger? I hate the idea of giving up a stick for my dd but there's really nothing I want on today's market and I'm over this RS.

Don't like five of us own Stingers at this point? I had a C5 Corvette for 13 years along with a daily driver for work, and I can honestly say it's an almost perfect compromise when I had a kid and needed just one car. It's not as fun as the Vette but it's fast and holds all the gear I need, only with a lift back it's easier than ever to load and unload. I can't see going back to a normal trunk. As for all the features I'm not one to ask because mines 3.5 years old and I've never even connected my phone to it.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice
Have been waiting a long time for Kia to finally announce pricing for the EV6 we wanted to replace my old '12 Optima with for my wife whenever she finally has to commute again, but oof $52k for the AWD minus hoever much of the tax rebate we'd qualify for. That's a tough sell. May check out a Mach-E at some point.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Russian Bear posted:

Do you really need AWD? I think the sweet spot is the RWD Wind for like 48k before tax credits.

Yeah I have a Stinger that's rwd and I'd like at least one of our cars to be able to get up my parents' driveway in the mountains. Plus if we were paying that much for an EV I'd rather pay a bit more to get that 4.6s 0-60 so the fun of it. The mach-e looks decent too though and there's plenty of time to decide. Despite being almost 10 years old the optima only has 80k on it so no rush.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Inner Light posted:

If you are considering the Mach-E at least limit yourself to the Mach-E GT :getin:

I don't think my wife wants to pay that much money to go faster than my car. When she had to rent a car in Denver last year she got stuck with a V8 Challenger and hated how fast it was. Although her concept of too fast is basically tied to how loud a car is, so an EV might not seem as fast.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice
I was on my Kia dealer's site the other day checking EV6's, and they all had a $5k markup regardless of trim level. E-mailed the guy I got the Stinger from and he said they're pretty firm on it.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice
Toyota's Racing in Dirt

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

wesleywillis posted:

Time to add my own poo poo to that fastest I've gone chat so I can feel like one of the cool kids.

Well if that's what we're doing I did 150mph for a hot second in my 98 Corvette and that thing couldn't have cared less. I don't think I had ever been above 100 at that point so that was butt-clenchingly fast, but the car had plenty more to give since top speed was 174. Although this was a large straightaway along the side of a mountain range, so after tapping 150 I slowed right down since eventually you hit a sharp turn and go careening to your death.
My 4 year old "new car" that I think is speed governed at 150? Never been above 90.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

The Stinger is one of the cars I looked at when looking at replacing my Liberty. The cargo space there inst comparable, the reality is it's barely better than a sedan so... why bother?

Look at this wrong poo poo. I throw six foot tall, 3 foot wide bookcases in my Stinger. Try doing that with a trunk. Just hauling all my gear for work is so much easier getting in and out of a huge opening instead of a trunk lid, which I know because I hauled all that same gear in cars with trunks for 19 years before I got the Stinger. But I'd have certainly bought it just the same if it had been a wagon.

Also saw my first EV6 on the road yesterday and the rear is as unappealing as I thought from photos, but it'll just be my wife's commuter/family car if we end up with one so I'm not concerned.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Kraftwerk posted:

Why must everything be consolidated beneath a stupid touch screen where you can play video games on it?

Cost-cutting to make up for all the batteries which is also why they don't go 400 miles for now. I'm sure once Bentley makes an EV it will cost a million dollars and have buttons, then buttons will be seen as a status symbol so they'll start working their way back down to luxury brands.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice
CF is crazy cheap if you just include fake CF looking stickers you put over plastic. Think of the speed boost from weight savings on these creaky dashboard components!

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

mobby_6kl posted:

Camaro SUV here we gooo

Okay but also Escalade coupe muscle car.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice
Kia confirmed it's the end of the line for the Stinger but they'll do a final "Tribute" edition of 1000 with just some aesthetic options. I'm surprised it even got to MY2023 but still happy to have my yellow 2018 which I'm looking forward to finally paying off this Winter.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Godzilla07 posted:

I have put my money where my mouth is by buying a new Mazda. Hell, I might even buy a CX-70

I put my money where my mouth is in 2018 by buying a non-luxury twin turbo RWD liftback sedan in a pretty color and look how the industry exploded with them since!

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice
Audi should do like BMW and stick to this new odds and evens naming scheme for like one year then come out with special editions of electric cars that get odd numbers and vice versa.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Powershift would you quit using the clone stamp tool to make these fake grilles so huge?

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice
I have to shoot video at an event for BMW tomorrow and I have no idea what car is being shown but thank you for showing that photo now so I don't embarrass myself laughing out loud in case someone pulls a curtain to reveal that.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

davebo posted:

I have to shoot video at an event for BMW tomorrow and I have no idea what car is being shown but thank you for showing that photo now so I don't embarrass myself laughing out loud in case someone pulls a curtain to reveal that.

Just to follow up, the event is just for the regular XM not this uglier special edition, but all is forgiven because they also brought an old M1 with them.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

moxieman posted:

Pics pleeeeeeeaaaaaaase if you can. gently caress M1s are gorgeous.

New car thread probably isn't the best place for a car as old as me so I'll just do a thumbnail that's a link to three photos.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Frond posted:

Speaking of the dead - the Kia Stinger, the car every online enthusiast wanted, is dead after 2023. I said it would just be another version of the Mazda 929 but it appears I was wrong - it was even less successful than that car here. Who knew that nobody actually wanted a fat 5dr. fastback sedan with horrendous reliability? I do seem to recall it’s boosters saying it would kill off the 86/BRZ( two cars it, uh, doesn’t actually compete with). I wonder what they have to say now.

Dang, are they known to have reliability problems? I haven't had any with my 2018 but I haven't put a ton of miles on it either. 2023 is the last MY but I was honestly surprised it made it that far, I was expecting it to be killed off for 2022. I figured people like me who wanted a fast and fun family sedan with the utility of a liftback would snatch one up, then after a few thousand units we'd all have our fill and they'd get back to making more boring suv's. I've been on a stinger forum website since well before the car's release and never saw a single person imply it'd be competing with the 86, but to be fair there are a lot of dumb car forums out there.

I will say I just put the summer wheels back on it earlier this week and the pilot sport 4's are such a nicer ride than the blizzaks I use in the winter.

Edit: I guess this wasn't a reliability issue but I did completely forget the part where they messed up the yellow paint at the factory and had to repaint all the metal body panels for which they wrote me a $5k check for the hassle. I enjoyed the money but was surprised considering how great the paint on my 2012 optima is still doing.

davebo fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Apr 22, 2023

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice
Yeah I guess that's worrying but I've got 99k miles on the theta II engine (which had a recall issue but mine's been fine) with no issues. Stinger only has 16k but now that I'm carting my kid back and forth to school the miles will start adding up eventually. Guess I'll hope for the best.
When choosing a pre-school-through-5th-grade my wife gave me the suggestions of a church school that'd be shorter distance, sitting in traffic with a ton of stoplights on the same street I drove to work for 20 years, or a secular school that'd be more miles, but shorter time, going against morning traffic, on the road in Maryland that inspired the song "Country Road" then turns to one with a huge chicane that my son calls "the big turn." I told her I was more comfortable with a secular education. The Stinger may not be my old Corvette, but it sure beats the SUV's all the other parents have.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice
Is that actually backed by any real world used car sales data? I feel like dull paint increases the speed a used car would sell but that you can get more money for nice colors, you just have to wait for someone who wants it.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Eyud posted:

RWD + snow tires is just fine, great even

Global warming is a myth. It stopped snowing in my area the moment I sold my Corvette and got a rwd daily driver with a set of blizzaks for winter.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Cage posted:

So another corvette?

I should have mentioned a baby was the reason for selling the Corvette in the first place. CPS doesn't like when you just stuff 'em in the trunk.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice
Is that the first z06 convertible or something? I know the first Corvette of each generation normally goes for like a huge sum at charity auction but that's just a one time thing, so it's not crazy that a convertible z06 would go for a huge markup if it's new, but I assume that's not normal?

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice
Well I like Doug because I only ever watched one video, when he bought a Kia Stinger GT. The idea that a Stinger owner could then buy a supercar gives me an unrealistically optimistic view of my own trajectory in life.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

KillHour posted:

I don't love the giant grille trend

I don't think it's helped a single vehicle.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice
But does a $300k Mustang still retain the new rear end in a top hat Button on the key fob that lets you rev the engine from your living room? Or did they have to ditch it for weight savings?

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

You see a lot of these in Virginia.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice
It's the nanny state's fault for insisting I have to drive my kid to pre-school in a "back seat" instead of whipping him around the back roads in the passenger seat of a Miata!

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Kraftwerk posted:

I have a friend who just had 1 kid. Not planning on anymore and for *reasons* they bought a Palisade.

Pfft, wrong Korean vehicle. I can fit my son, wife, best friend and our cat in her carrier all in my Stinger GT.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Geez did they make that weird trunk hump even bigger before sticking a spoiler on top of it? Wonder what that looks like in the rear view mirror.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Full Collapse posted:

The last one handled like a pig and this won’t help at all.

Yeah but because it was already too heavy and just a straight line muscle car, it makes perfect sense to continue that name as an EV I think. No one wants a 6k lbs Miata or Corvette, but this isn't THAT much heavier than before. Still, that feels like more weight than just a battery pack should be adding? Or are they just using worse, heavier batteries than everyone else?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice
If you removed the seats in the cab, your Mini could drive the Silverado.