Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

mycot posted:

Looking at that list just reminds me how random and bizarre Cartoon Network's Netflix choices are - only seasons 3 and 4 of a series? Only the second season of Samurai Jack? Granted, that's the season that has Aku's Fairy Tales so it's good enough for me, but still.

The CN execs have openly stated that they view Netflix as nothing but a way of advertising for the shows so people will be more likely to buy the DVDs or watch them as they air, which is why they only put a sampling of each show.

But on the other hand they've started putting full episodes of shows on their website after they air so maybe they're learning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Gaunab posted:

Remember the annoying orange show? I just did and I'm glad it ended.

I listen to Rob Paulsen's podcast and he shilled this show constantly because he and his friends worked on it. Even by the standards of his usual obnoxious self-promotion (like pretending that Jimmy Neutron wasn't ugly garbage because it was a profitable animated movie with "real" voice actors instead of celebrities) it was painful.

Really Rob is the worst part of it even if his guests can be fum, I just skip all of his soloand cross-promotion eps and jump ahead whenever he starts awardly hitting on girls or telling the same 5 jokes or ranting about celebrities doing voices.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Jack Gladney posted:

Has he ever talked to Grey Delise? She seems to have developed this Mrs. Robinson voice-actor cougar persona that's really weird.

Yes.

Pretty much any time Maurice Lamarche, John DiMaggio, or Billy West pop up on a podcast they're great, and the episode of Nerdist with Rob Paulsen and Maurice Lamarche just playing off of each other for an hour is fantastic.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
It really is amazing how CN somehow managed to go half a decade without making anything good between Samurai Jack and Gumball. It's not even like they had a case of brain drain to excuse it, Camp Lazlo was one big Rocko reunion and Foster's Home was like a 90s CN reunion but nothing of value came of it.

SlothfulCobra posted:

I kinda want it to come out just to see how much of a train wreck it is. The overarching plot of Kids Next Door was totally ludicrous bullshit and didn't make any sense when it wasn't doing movie parodies, and now they think they can just pick up where they left off after 7 years?

The one dad being a monstrous shadow Bill Cosby was one of the only funny things in that show and now they can't even do that anymore.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

ConanThe3rd posted:

Were they even going for that? I Thought it was just the stereotypical 50's father knows best Dad turned into a Bond Villian.

Like Corek pointed out, there was a dad that was a literal shadowy figure that was voiced by Maurice LaMarche doing a Kirk Douglas impersonation. I was referring to Kevin Michael Richardson's character, which was a ZIP ZOP ZOOBITY BOP SWEATERS AND JELLO PUDDIN POPS Cosby riff.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Y-Hat posted:

Remember when that show was poised to be Disney's big merchandising juggernaut? I think the fact that the characters look terrible in 3D did a lot to prevent it from fulfilling that promise.

It was still a drat good show and it sucks that it got the Disney scheduling treatment at the end.

It's enjoyed like five years straight of popularity and merchandising, that's about as good as it gets without becoming a shambling corpse like Spongebob.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Stephen Universe fans remind me more Homestuck fans than anything, both in their ubiquitousness (so many SU avatars!) and the way they always recommend the show to people outside of its niche.

"Looking for a feel-good workplace comedy now that Parks & Recs is over? Well it's not quite what you're looking for but I recommend Stephen Universe because :words:"

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
DC's live-action stuff is so good and being made in such quantities that I'm more than happy to live in the world where we have that instead of a pale imitation of the old animated DCAU.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

ungulateman posted:

I gotta say, after going back and rewatching some of the original Teen Titans, it makes the various criticisms levelled at TTG even more stupid. By far the worst parts of it (at least of season one) was when the show tried to be serious, and the Slade 'plot' if you want to call it that is loving embarrassingly 90s for a 2000s cartoon. TTG just skips the melodrama and recognises that when you stick five teenagers with superpowers in a building dumb things are going to happen.

The Slade plotline holds a special place in my heart because "Slade is actually Batman" was my first exposure to batshit internet theories about TV shows. And that flash animation where they took the audio of the episode where he chases Raven down and beats her up and made it into a sex acene was the first time I became aware of how gross fans could be :sigh:

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

raditts posted:

Quick, you're in charge of Nickelodeon. It's just occurred to you that the actors for The Fresh Beat Band are way past the age where it's embarrassing for everyone involved for the show to continue. What do you do?

Make them into a cartoon of course!

Apparently this was part of the reason why Disney Channel made Kim Possible, after dealing with Hillary Duff and her crazy stage mom they decided their next big star would be animated so if the talent started causing trouble it would be a lot easier to just replace them.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
I can understand getting salty about being replaced by a celebrity voice actor in the name of marketing or a cheaper soundalike to get out of pay negotations but this seems completely reasonable.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
The Simpsons is also a great example of how not having a show be creator-driven can be a good thing, since Groening wanted to end the show with a twist ending where Homer and Krusty are the person and Marge pulls off her hair and reveals bunny ears undernearh because she was one of his My Life In Hell characters all along.

It's pretty telling that The Simpsons had its best seasons after he threw a hissyfit over having to cross-promote The Critic and cut off his involvement.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
ATLA is a season and a half of good TV buried in three seasons of decent Americanime. Now that every other cartoon in production is full of serial storylines and grimdark villains it's not nearly as mind-blowing as it was 10 years ago.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Lava Lamp Goddess posted:

I always wondered where the show would have gone had it continued on the original planned pace with the movie ending and a continuation series.

I think that trying to have a serious overarching plot was a wrong move, as evidenced by the first Hey Arnold movie bombing so terribly. Finding out that Arnold's parents are actually alive in the jungle somewhere and he goes to rescue them and the big twist ending is that his last name actually is "Shortman" and it's not just a term of endearment from his Grandpa is the kind of thing that's funny to read about after the fact but probably wouldn't have meshed at all with the actual show.

Sockser posted:

Hey Arnold is the realest loving show and most certainly my pick for best cartoon of the 90s. Every character had at least some sort of story to them, and there were morals that weren't completely opaque and blunt like so many other shows.

In retrospect it very much feels like The Simpsons in the way that they created such a big cast of characters and was able to use them all to great effect. If anything it's even more impressive because Hey Arnold is so much more grounded and small-scale.

achillesforever6 posted:

And Grandpa beat up Hitler and single handedly won WWII

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByZ1-8eLCW4&t=646s

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

raditts posted:

What kind of childhood did you have where you see Freddy Krueger as a hero?

Well why would they sell Freddy Krueger dolls and pajamas to little kids if he wasn't a good guy? :downs:

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Rudoku posted:

Korra did really well when it premiered. That's when they got another season. It went to poo poo during season 2. It had that animation thing, the lovely villain, and no advertising at all. Hell, I never knew when it aired until season 3 got yanked from tv.

IIRC a lot of the goodwill that the beginning of the first season got was based on the fact that it seemed to be building up to something meaningful with the way that the conflict seemed to be based around class struggle and ableism and they seemed to be building some degree of ambiguity if not outright empathy around the villain and Korra seemed like an interesting protagonist. But then they wound up throwing it all away and having the villain just be unambiguously evil because reasons and somehow being less complex than a show aimed at a younger audience made a decade ago and Korra wound up being such a dull protagonist that the most memorable part of the entire series is the part where she's in a coma and completely absent.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

SlothfulCobra posted:

I'm not sure if this is more or less absurd than the Sonic fan movie.

It's by Joseph Kahn, the dude knows exactly what he's doing. He's the guy who gave us Torque, the movie where Adam Scott starts his car with a giant key.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
The Thundercats remake from a few years was really pretty and did a lot of good little things like having Wily Kit and Kat be cute and non-annoying but the actual script was weak as hell. In a better world it could have been a great adventure show.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

muscles like this? posted:

It had the problem of a bunch of stupid episodes at the beginning that took forever to actually pay off. The show had a strong opening but then it had a string of episodes that were just Thundercats run into someone with problem, they fix it. Then late in the series (I think it might have been the final episode) everyone they helped came to their rescue during a big battle.

There were a few clunkers ("Moby Dick Only Now The Ship Can Fly And Its A Desert So That's Totally Different And Cool Right?") but even the little stand-alone episodes were OK on their own, they just weren't as good as they should have been. The one about a race of plant people who live out an entire lifetime over the course of one day is something that could have been amazing in the right hands but as is it was just kind of cute and sad.

But on the other hand after being even remotely responsible for this...thing maybe the show deserved to die.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gufXf67qBcc

Electric Phantasm posted:

I will always appreciate the Tundercats remake for an exchange that went something like this:

*Mumm-Ra Talks poo poo about Lion-O's father*
"You don't know anything about him!"
"I know that I killed him!"

The Mumm-Ra redesign was pretty bitchin', having a bunch of catpeople fighting a mummy is something that's inherently ridiculous but they did their darndest to make it work.

Really the only redesign that wasn't great was the one for Panthro because it was literally just Jet Black from Cowboy Bebop, right down to the scar over his eye.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
I always thought that Sonic would do really well if they gave it the Teen titans Go! treatment. The characters are aready so simple and stylized you could bang out a bunch of cheap Flash-animated shorts where you just completely ditch the action and saving the day and just have it be a bunch of weird character-driven comedy bits. Most of the praise the Sonic Boom cartoon gets seems to be from the character bits with Eggman and Knuckles anyways.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
On the one hand, we have literally every study ever done on media consumption and tobacco use.

On the other hand, we have a bunch of goons going off of their gut feelings.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Y-Hat posted:

And yeah, Tiny Toons had some weird poo poo in it.

It's oddly appropriate that the show ended because a proto-furry started stalking the voice actress for Babs Bunny to the point where she dropped out of the show entirely.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Y-Hat posted:

Ah, that old tale. I read an account of that story and it said that the psycho furry stalker is still unrepentant about it and just as disgusting as he was 20 years ago. If anyone could find that article, I'd appreciate it, as would much of the thread. Any article talking about it will do in a pinch.

I did a quick Google search and all I could find was this write-up of the event and its aftermath.

:stonk:

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
The Brothers Chaps are putting out new Flash animations for Disney XD and they're, er, definitely no Homestar Runner.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QqLp8FnXUo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uv42ljNCs98

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

BioEnchanted posted:

Anyone else really looking forward to the Netflix Series of Unfortunate Events? I love the books and am looking forward to seeing some of the later locations in Live Action, especially the Heimlich Hospital and Hotel Denouement.

I think it's a show that's going to live or die based on the production values and design. If they make it like the movies or a kid-friendly Hannibal where its' all amazing sets and costumes and sound design it'll be awesome, if they make it on the cheap like a sitcom it will probably be terrible.

For its flaws the movie was gorgeous, it was cool to see some of Tim Burton's long time collaborators getting to break out from under his spirals-and-pinstripes brand and do their own thing. And Thomas Newman's soundtrack was fantastic, it's probably one of my favorites of his.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JoBnHYKcCRU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHZHlVVjEA4

Sleeveless fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Aug 29, 2015

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

mycot posted:

And that Steven Universe isn't anime Or is anime, I forgot which it is these days.

It's My Little Pony.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

icantfindaname posted:

There is no TV Animation Renaissance, seriously Cartoon Network never actually had a lull in the quality of its shows. Before AT/SU/Gravity Falls you had Flapjack and Chowder, before them you had Fosters and before that you had Samurai Jack and Dexter's Lab and its generation, and before that you had stuff like the DCAU shows and Rockos Modern life and Animaniacs, plus Avatar in there somewhere

The only "renaissance" there's been is a renaissance of people jacking each other off about how Adventure Time is the deepest cartoon ever and writing 10 page editorials about it in the New Yorker. I do think Cartoon Network has basically perfected the animated children's sitcom, but I don't think there's been any revolutionary jump in quality between the AT generation of shows and their predecessors

This is like saying that Disney never had a renaissance in the 90s because they still made Winnie the Pooh and The Fox and the Hound before that.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

mycot posted:

I definitely noticed that period of overwhelmingly jerk based comedy (and the deliberate rejection of it that seems to be going on these days), but I still have no clue what was the cause or reason of it. Was it just the general zeitgeist? Did Mascots with Tude end up turning into mascots that are giant assholes? Is there some massively popular character/show in that time period that I'm forgetting? I don't know.

Shrek made more money than god so everybody that made cartoons tried their hand at crass irreverent jerk-rear end protagonists and pop-culture references after that.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

icantfindaname posted:

Good loving riddance. Too bad nobody will ever make cel-based animation ever again, but atleast that's better than flash

Seeing pre-Flash vector animation is kinda cool, it makes me wonder if anybody will ever try using it intentionally for artistic effect because it still looks really different.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ek076NK6Rw

If you go far enough back there were even attempt at using analog computers for 2d animation in the 70s and early 80s but it never really caught on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlHbhOyV6Qo

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Cartman is just an overton window to make the assholishness of the creators delivered through the rest of the cast look grounded and reasonable by comparison.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Wander Over Yonder is a show I could never really get into because it's one of those shows where it feels like every episode is the same thing just with a different backdrop, so in that sense I appreciate the intro for illustrating that literally.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Macaluso posted:

I did like the one ghost voiced by Kevin Michael Richardson, who has the best voice in cartoons

He's come so far from Homeboys in Outer Space.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Looney Tunes is so established as a brand that people are going to reflexively dislike any changes regardless of the actual quality, even though odds are they haven't actually watched a Looney Tunes short in forever. It's like how nobody really goes to or likes the Hall of Presidents at Disney but any time they try and replace it there's a huge outcry.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

X_Toad posted:

This is a question about the recent "big" disney show which aren't Marvel or Star Wars related : is there some sort of mandate from the people upstairs about tickling people into submission? I've seen it in Gravity Falls (especially this one), Wander over Yonder and Star vs the Forces of Evil.

It's a fetish.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Y-Hat posted:

Throughout the show's run, Rocko's Modern Life used that weird sound effect whenever Rocko walked. The difference is that it was actually, ya know, good.

Also Dee Dee from Dexter's Lab inexplicably making squishy wet sounds with every footstep.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Whenever I watch anything Rebecca Sugar is involved in it reminds of that piss wizard comic KC Green did only with Tumblr poo poo instead of watersports.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Being embarrassing, poorly-animated trash makes it pretty faithful to the Scooby-Doo brand as a whole.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

ThermoPhysical posted:

Mystery Incorporated wasn't that bad.

Mystery Inc rules but it's like the sole bright spot like almost half a century of crummy Scooby-Doo cartoons. That and maybe the one miniseries with Vincent Price, and even then that's more due to camp/irony than anything else.

I'll give the live-action movie credit too because it was written by James Gunn.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Pakled posted:

I remember liking it when I was a kid and I haven't seen it in years but I get the feeling it's one of those late 80s/early 90s cartoons that really didn't age well.

But yes, Pup was probably the high point for Freddy as a character.

The zillion interchangeable "classic cartoon characterss only now they're kids and also totally hip and fresh yo" shows are the 90s kid equivalent of the half-hour toy commercial cartoons of the 80s, in that they're all awful and it's mind-boggling how many were made.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1VgXrLYFtw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Y-Hat posted:

The only thing I remember about the first movie was a scene inside the Mystery Machine where it's angled so that it looks like Scooby and Shaggy are smoking weed behind a wall. Then it cuts to them cooking something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXU46Z4FvUI