Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Analogical
May 20, 2013

EEOD? Why not, I could use a break from work

:911:

Internet Wizard posted:

MSA. I've got the 101 next week. The prep for this test has not been a good time.

You still have a chance. Fail MSA and ask for Farsi, or fail out of DLI.

Seriously, I'm you in four years. The outlook for us Arlings is terrible now that the war's over. Like 2/10 MSA linguists end up actually using Arabic, but you will still have to DLPT every year. Good luck passing, nobody here is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Analogical
May 20, 2013

Internet Wizard posted:

Assholes aren't really given the drop into an easier language option. My first roommate here got an LoA drop earlier this year, and he's still going to end up doing almost the exact same crap in the fleet, just without a language he has to maintain proficiency in.

There's also a guy who got dropped from the Asian schoolhouse a while back who got reclassed to MP. I guess he came out ahead though because he's about to pick up corporal, which isn't something any DLI grads will be doing any time soon.

At least I didn't get Pashto.

You're an MSA marine? If you pass there's a 50% chance I'm going to be your ops lead when you get to Co D. Do me a favor and study some dialect in your spare time. More money for you with the extra DLPTs, you're also more useful and I have to spend less time training you.

Analogical
May 20, 2013

Internet Wizard posted:

Yeah, I've already started cross-studying with a Levantine that started class at the same time as me, when we can.

I'm fully aware of how pointless MSA is compared to pretty much any dialect, but at least I'll have a retarded amount of college credits when I'm done here.

Yeah you can get a BA in Communications, if that's your thing, pretty easily. But be aware that there isn't much in the way of colleges to finish your education that are also TA affordable out here so have a plan.

Levantine is a lot more important than Iraqi, if you can swing a 1+ or a 2 in Levantine it'll save your life. Seriously. Coming here with just MSA is a recipe for misery, because you're right, you are useless without a dialect. So they'll take you and throw you into a non-linguist shop after 5 weeks of training you for it, essentially making the two years of training you've had up to that point entirely pointless.

But if you have Levantine, really or even Iraqi, a case can be made that you're better than that. It's a stupid system, but it's how it works here and despite IG complaints over the span of the last 8 years for wasted resources (literally tens of thousands of dollars in training AFTER you leave DLI you never use) they haven't changed it.

If you can get your hands on Yemeni material, study the hell out of that. There's no DLPT, only an OPI. Find a Yemeni teacher and talk to him in your spare (HA) time. Yemeni is a golden ticket, you literally write your own salary when you're out of the service, and while you're in you get the best opportunities. If you have any questions feel free to get back at me. There's a dialect book, I think it's from CASL, that I know some of the schools like ME2 give out in the third semester. Try to get your hands on that or ask an MLI, they should know what I'm talking about. Which ME are you in?

Analogical
May 20, 2013

Analogical fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Jun 22, 2016

Analogical
May 20, 2013

Friar Zucchini posted:

Welp. It's been a pretty crazy year and a half but that 2+ 2 1+ says I'm gonna hit the road in a week or so. Wonder how quickly I'll forget how to speak Terrist...

cool story r u a chick i'll gently caress sponsor u in gworgia

Analogical
May 20, 2013

Atall posted:

It is still available through JLU, just the lovely 6.7th version on the macbook is no longer supported.

You're better off fishing for the 4.x version somewhere.

Macbook? the gently caress

Analogical
May 20, 2013

Androies posted:

They actually cost the same/less than those lovely thinkpads the Army used to issue at DLI, and they're 100 times better. The IPADs I can't say much about, mine was pretty much a paperweight/gaming platform.

iPad or iPod touch? Jesus, when did DLI get actual funding

Analogical
May 20, 2013

Silvance posted:

I'm actually Pashto, which I've heard has an easier course here than Farsi, but I have very little reference level for that. I know Pashto flat out never hands out more than 2 on the OPI, which is fine since it doesn't actually matter.

They must have really improved the Pash course. When I was at DLI they were just standing it up and a 1+/1+ was gold back then but the instructors were mostly farmers too.

Farsi should be harder linguistically though it has more resources and actual instructors, so it's easier to learn normally. Silvance is about to hate his life, only one place you gon end up boy

Androies posted:

Another year, another 3/3 I have no idea how I got. If you fail the Farsi DLPT you're just bad at guessing.

You're not in Disgusta are you?

Analogical
May 20, 2013

Deathy McDeath posted:

Is it possible to take a DLPT if you're not enlisted? I've got an OPI score but I'd like to have a nice DLPT score to put on the resume.

You have to be some form of DoD, including contractor. There could be exceptions, but I haven't heard of them personally. You can try to tell the Army you want to re-up and see if they'll let you take it at MEPS, then never talk to them again.

Analogical
May 20, 2013

Silvance posted:

Well, by one place, I assume you mean Goodfellow? After that, it's Meade for me, which I've heard isn't too bad. Sucks though, because I had my orders to Germany in hand when they got revoked because of lack of need and switched me to Meade.

Nah I mean more of what you'll be doing in Meade. Try to pick up some other skills while at Goodfellow if you're able, and if you get a chance to switch, as Pash, down to GA I'd try to do that if I were you.

Analogical
May 20, 2013

Friar Zucchini posted:

The only "other skills" I'm learning here other than in class is just figuring out better ways to stay as far as I can from the MTLs as I can. I could move off post (just announced, commander says all TPG in good standing are allowed to) except considering that my white rear end is gettin the gently caress out this place in three weeks I doubt that's worth the effort.

Showing aptitude in anything other than language can be enough to move you out of the grind you're about to sit down into. A few years back a friend of mine from DLI worked with some MTLs on cyber at Goodfellow and now works in that area, still leveraging language. I'm not saying he broke into a class and took tests in cyber thats stupid as poo poo and doesn't happen, he basically just learned enough job-related terms to yell out all at once in a stupid elevator pitch to convince a tired MSgt to transfer him. You'll find that the DoD is very fluid in where you can work, but where you sit your rear end down can make all the difference in your quality of life and job satisfaction.

Analogical
May 20, 2013

Silvance posted:

Any reason you can give me for that? I was originally going to Wiesbaden, but the day after I had my orders in hand they were revoked because they closed Wiesbaden down to pashto linguists. I wanted GA because it's close to home but Meade is very centralized so I'm looking forward to it.

The mission at GA that a Pashling would be working in has a lot higher a lifespan than what you'll be doing in Meade and much cooler.

A big difference here though is what department the DoD puts you in which you wouldn't know yet until you've done "new hire orientation". How far along are you now? Once you get to the worksite I can give you some guidance on the lay of the land.

Analogical
May 20, 2013

Silvance posted:

I'm in Goodfellow. One month in and I realize why every soldier I've talked to who's been here for longer than I acts clinically depressed. This is where dreams go to die.

If you think that's bad you're in for a real treat.

Analogical
May 20, 2013

On the brightside you're about six months from BAH'd freedom. The AF and Navy barracks at GA/MD frequently overfill so you can move out even if you're not an E5.

Except Internet Wizard. Your barracks are always empty. I think gunny just moved out last week

Analogical
May 20, 2013

MassivelyBuckNegro posted:

Why would you assume that? Jacksonville sucks unless you like getting tattoos or strip clubs.

Or you can head down to Miami and get both at the same time.

Analogical
May 20, 2013

Big DoD says 3/3 is the only passing scores now and everyone subpar will be forced to retake language training until they reach it. Prepare your assholes boys. Apparently, they've been losing over 100m+ a year due to the sub 3/3s.

Analogical
May 20, 2013

No link or official statement yet that I've seen, my friend was told by the senior language advisor of an org he was getting orders to who talked about it with him when they discussed his languages. What was explained was that 2+/2+ will be the new 1+/2 to leave DLI, and then they'll get 2 chances to improve in the 3 or 6 week refresher courses available at their first duty station, but then the money cuts and they get reclassed. The Navy still technically only requires a 1+/1+ to hold a linguist NEC, so direct support units probably sidestep it.

They cited the 100+ people that fill casuals at each command for their entire contract taking expensive language classes over and over without passing, either because they can't or they don't want to. And that's just people trying to reach 2/2. At the same time though they've been saying they're raising passing to 2+/2+ for over a year and we've never heard anything officially about that either, so it could take longer than our time as linguists to fully implement. I mean, think about the loss of personnel. Granted there are a lot of 3+s running around in Arabic, most of the workforce is 1+/2 to 2+/2+.

However, the Navy is also cutting Arabic linguists loose. Anyone substandard isn't eligible for re-enlistment as a CTI right now, with re-language on a case to case basis. We're over a hundred linguists too heavy in Arabic and it's dialects, so it might be part of the force shaping, though this impacts civilian and contracted linguists too. I'm not sure what the numbers are like for the other branches. Anyone actually working can probably check with the DoD's SLA. My CLPMs didn't seem to know anything about it, but they never seem very plugged into the national chain.

Analogical
May 20, 2013

That'd be more realistic, they can't just drop that many personnel all at once. Sucks for the next gen though

Analogical
May 20, 2013

There are a few JSOC units that poach graduates who have a mix of 3/3 and good PT scores, you hear about it happening every now and then. Usually when they don't get anyone fit enough from their briefs at the gaining commands because once we all get to our missions we let ourselves go.

Analogical fucked around with this message at 22:43 on May 5, 2015

Analogical
May 20, 2013

We have a lot on Fort Gordon but they're generally not near us, they've over by the pool/Teresas (RIP). The norwegians were probably danes.

Analogical
May 20, 2013

I might be going back to DLI for a year. How gay is CIDU Mont now?

Analogical
May 20, 2013

Spockly posted:

So has anyone here gone through an Advanced Course? I'm curious how the day to day differs for the Advanced/Intermediate school houses compares to my first time through.

It's roughly the same as your first run through. I've taken intermediate and advanced courses and the only difference as you might expect is the difficulty of the material. Hours, homework quantity and general breakdown (i.e. reading hour, speaking hour) are all dependent on the schoolhouse but roughly what you're used to.

Analogical
May 20, 2013

Friar Zucchini posted:

That right there doesn't necessarily give a lot of information. I could pencilwhip some poo poo up in like half an hour or 45 minutes after formation in the morning and get away with it, but then I was talking to some Russian kids that literally lived homework, doing it in class breaks, lunch, after class and staying up late still working on it and could still barely get it all done.

I still pencilwhip my homework after breakfast during intermediate and advanced most of the time, and I'm not some star at the language. Like most things, that generally comes down to what teachers you get. There's always that one that's a stickler for homework, but in my experience in the upper level classes there aren't many instructors like that. When you're taking those classes, the focus isn't on passing a DLPT. You're there because you've already done that and the instructors know it. I've generally found most of them don't give a poo poo*, but those are also arabs.

* About homework.

Analogical
May 20, 2013

faddypaddy posted:

The thing is that PLTCE is the cheapest option when it comes to providing language training. Total cost is around 4000 compared to paying someone to stay in a hotel for the same length of time plus per diem for meals. I went to Meade for my first refresher and it cost more than two trips to Garmisch combines.

Too bad in my experience E7+s always snake the class spots to treat themselves to a vacation.

Analogical
May 20, 2013

Black Balloon posted:

It's cool man once you finally get through it you'll almost definitely go to Augusta Georgia with no chance of ever leaving and you get to work in the worst professional environment of all time!

Don't forget our open working environment!

Not many Farsi linguists will get sent outside Augusta for their first tour. If they're AF they could always get sent to Nebraska though. Meade is the holy grail of linguist duties if you actually want to have a decent career since everything happens there and nobody will fly you from HI or GA to MD for decent training that is free to people stationed there.

Analogical
May 20, 2013

HellishWhiskers posted:

Air Force is on almost-kind-of-Lockdown after three DUIs in the same weekend, one of which involved somebody underage driving into a fence from being too drunk fifty feet after making it through the front gate.

Good times.

gently caress else is new.

What's the new name for the Mucky Duck? I heard it changed.

Analogical
May 20, 2013

Navy policy changes announced this week pertaining to linguists:

2+/2+ graduation standard out of DLI. (Might be DoD wide?)

110 DLAB minimum for CTI instead of 100.

If you are sub-standard (under 2/2, for now) you can't test for advancement.

FLPP pay will only pay for one primary language and one secondary (dialect).

You won't get FLPP for languages outside of your mission scope. So if you grew up speaking Spanish or Turkish and were taught Arabic at DLI and put on an Arabic mission, you only get paid for Arabic. In the same example, if you switch to a Spanish mission you won't get paid for Arabic. Any secondary languages you're getting paid for must be from the same theater as your primary language.

If you're getting FLPP for a language you grew up speaking and you don't do language mission or have a language NEC as your primary that money will go away in the next 18-24 months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Analogical
May 20, 2013

OmNom posted:

I'm a civilian who applied for an 1811 position and took the DLPT as part of the process. I received a 3/3/2 (reading/listening/speaking) for Spanish; unfortunately I need further qualifications to move forward in the application process. Now that I have taken the test and have the scores what can I do with it in regards to federal employment?

List it as a bullet point on your application. If you have a clearance, do the same thing but put your resume on clearancejobs.

Spanish linguists are a dime a dozen right now unfortunately, so I'm not sure how much it'll help you overall.

• Locked thread