Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Has anyone had any experience with ordering things from ShopBLT?

I'm gonna bite the bullet and buy a i7-4790T next month before Skylake hits and cool OEM chips mysteriously stop being sold. Gonna recycle my current i5-4670T into a set-top box sized PC, which will also make use of the 1.5V SO-DIMMs I have for some stupid reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

I can't wait to see how entertaining the 14nm fab fistfight moshpit is going to be for the next few years as we'll be stuck with it

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Khagan posted:

So Cannonlake moves to 'Tock' now?
It moves to 'loud explosion'

Malcolm XML posted:

It'll be the new 28nm
Only this time Intel doesn't get to leapfrog away from the shitshow, they've been pulled into the ring and Samsung's been winding up their chairs for this one

Anime Schoolgirl fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Jun 24, 2015

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819117388

This E3-1265Lv3 just popped up on Newegg this week. This brought my server project up by a nice $240, ordering cool efficient chips like this WITH a replacement policy :eyepop:

Kind of wish I hadn't jumped the gun on the 4790T, but oh well.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

When trying to remove the 4670T from my B85 board, I let it tap the LGA pins and they bended. I then tried to unbend them and then pulled them off instead. Good thing it only cost $50!

:downsgun:

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

The thermal paste was like this on my 4670t for over a year.

Due to the amount of thermal paste spillage I'm never following Cooler Master's instructions ever again

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

HalloKitty posted:

Haswell. Haswell's got the FIVR.

... :v:
Amazing feature for laptops, not so much for *TX desktops where it makes almost no difference whether the PC is 30w or 40w idle, plus the VRM inside the chip hampered overclocking and Xeon. Skylake might have an increase in headroom over Haswell as a result of removing it, but I hope they keep it for laptops.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Gwaihir posted:

Well, you get more TDP flexibility on the part of the CPU and iGPU between the higher TDP on the top end pieces and the 5-10(?) ish watts saved by moving the voltage regulators back off the package. I'm sorta surprised they did that since the trend for so long has been increasing integration and simplification of packaging stuff drive by the THIN SMALL LIGHT mania for laptops and tablets.
Their mobile Skylake/NUC chips may still have FIVR, as it was an appreciated feature there.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Twerk from Home posted:

Do the -T CPUs use less power on an average / mixed workload, or just have a lower peak TDP but require a similar amount of total Watt-hours to execute a given workload? I guess I'm just curious if the low-TDP CPUs are made for thermal reasons or electricity efficiency reasons.

What about the ULV notebook CPUs? Does it take an i5-5250u less total electricity to do a workload than say, a top-end desktop i3?
S and T CPUs are binned to run at high clocks-per-watt at significantly lower voltages, so it's both thermals and energy efficiency. The best part about those cpus is that if the iGPU isn't used at all, they pretty much run at full 4-core turbo all the time so you get balls-out compute power per watt (#1 reason why I shop for T chips over K chips like everyone else does).

This isn't always the case with laptop and embedded ULV chips, which need pretty much everything running below a thermal power envelope and the i5s and ULV i7s are often dual-core+SMT parts. However, the standard sized laptop Haswell i7 chips are binned for amazing overall performance per watt and as a result are higher priced per unit than most everything else for consumers.

Anime Schoolgirl fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Jul 23, 2015

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Josh Lyman posted:

Welp, gonna have my Ivy Bridge 3570K until I die.
Even the Intel thread is hoping that AMD's Zen is worth a poo poo :allears:

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

The only real performance-boner reason to get any new Intel chip these days is to see how much compute power you can get out of a low-TDP binned chip and Haswell was an immense improvement over Ivy Bridge in that part. I wouldn't hold my breath for Skylake doing a similar jump if they took out the FIVR out of their mobile and low-TDP models.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

japtor posted:

Plus it seems like the GPU world is kind of on the tail end of the current/last generation stuff before HBM2 and AMD/NV's next architectures (and finally a node shrink?), I figure I might as well wait for that.
We also may have low profile cards worth a drat

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

T chips are great for the performance they give you and you can use them in silly mini-itx custom shells or slim and low profile cases. With an average cooler and not using the GPU, they run at 4c turbo basically all of the time, making the difference between them and a normal full-voltage CPU minimal.

The driving reason for this is that the wiring in my house blows and my room's wall outlet throws a shitfit at a higher than 550w power draw. But they're OEM chips and you have to pretty much be stuck with 1month+ OEM delays or comical 50% markups. Amazon and Newegg very rarely stock chips like these.

If you're like most builders, you tend to build stuff wider than 5 inches and have actual working wiring, and thus don't really need the power savings (you save like 75 cents a month between a K processor at stock clocks and T processor in most use cases, so that's not even really a consideration.) If you just want flexibility for coolers, I suggest using the S series as they run significantly cooler and lose just .1 or .2ghz, as well as the obvious advantage of being widely available.

Also, for T chips, the *65 and *85 T chips loose too much performance for going just 10 watts lower. They don't even clock anywhere near the standard consumer models with 4 core turbo.

Anime Schoolgirl fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Jul 26, 2015

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

NihilismNow posted:

Thank you for your info but i'd have someone take a look at that wiring before buying a special low power CPU.
We have, it's kind of a hard problem to solve because the switcher box doesn't really exist beyond the breaker (this is a problem with most houses in this neighborhood :psyboom:). The patch we had is that we set a really sensitive breaker that trips load to the problem wiring (which is just my room, hilariously) otherwise we'd have to dump five figures just to unfuck the wiring to the house and replace it with an electrical wiring setup from at least last decade, something we won't really have the means and resources for until at least 3 years.

HERAK posted:

Back on topic. Have intel mad any mention of using HBM on future cpus?
Nope but they're putting small amounts of DRAM on die just for the GPU (Skylake generation Iris graphics will use 256mb.)

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Intel still uses reverse PGA for standard-sized laptop mobile sockets mostly because large amounts of IO isn't necessary on laptops and end users actually want post-purchase upgrade options.

The real benefit to going LGA is getting a better pin count and thus more I/O out of the same space for sockets and using the same CPU package for solders+sockets as stated before, as you can only make PGA pins so small that they will bend upon landing. The voltage/inductance part is largely bunk as process nodes improve. AMD could go the comedy route and make PCBs as big as LGA2011 for 1100-1200 pins, though.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

true performance nerds buy xeon cluster farms

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Ak Gara posted:

If it's not going to include a heatsink why not just put the CPU in a standard envelope. Think of the money they'd save on postage!
It's not like they have to worry about pins :v:

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Botnit posted:

According to supposed reputable source price for 6700k is $313, $225 for 6600k. Seems good to me.
Seems more like the tray price directly from Intel. Boxed will likely be $339/$239 give or take 10 dollars, add 20 for early release markup

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Maybe it will OC well?
Losing the internal prone-to-cook voltage regulator might give it another 100mhz but don't kid yourself here

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

:eng99:

Sandy Bridge/Ivy Bridge boxes still not dying fast enough for Intel to actually sell these. At least they're shunting development on Broadwell Xeons to focus on Skylake Xeons.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

And if your Sandy Bridge dies, Haswell is like, right there for much cheaper than a Skylake configuration will ever be for the next 1.5 years and you can even reuse your RAM.

The desktop single-thread performance field has been a dead end for years. It's a good thing it's worth like nothing now.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Gwaihir posted:

What would mainstream users even do with more cores on a desktop chip?
4k video decoding :2bong: :catdrugs: :ducksiren: :birddrugs:

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Intel CPU and Platform Discussion: I should have just gotten a loving Xeon or something

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Twerk from Home posted:

Given that the non-OC parts also have a 65W TDP instead of a 95W one, the -K parts could end up being overall inferior this generation.
They've been massively inferior ever since Haswell. You lose a grand total of 5% performance going from a regular non-i7 K-series at stock clock to a T-series chip and negligible if you went with the 65w S-series.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Seamonster posted:

That it may be but...aren't the only other 14nm chips in the mobile space? I mean thats not alot to go on...
AMD will be using what's essentially Samsung's 14nm process so we'll see if that pans out to ~high performance~ single thread architectures in a bit over a year

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

The biggest gains were the internal VRM which turned out to be great for mobile, and since that's gone in Skylake I'd like to see how they compensated for that.

And maybe they'll release a Pentium NUC board worth a drat

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

While this must be it (I mean, what else could it possibly be?) I think nobody would complain about a $3 increase in price across the board for soldered chips, and the positive press must be worthwhile.
They've also had the performance crown by miles so they can afford to not care about people who turn up multipliers.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Generic Monk posted:

does 'portable workstation' mean those 2 inch thick dell business monstrosities
I think the point of this is that they won't have to be 2 inches thick

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Potato Salad posted:

How much do you have to have going on for it to really stress stuff out? A friend has been playing hefily-modded Skyrim on an i3 4330 + GTX 750 build, and frankly the CPU doesn't come close to bottlenecking.
A few really, really bad scripts. An efficient modding setup with SPERG and the like won't tax the first core beyond 50%, but a few bad mods will run into the event cap the first core can handle and the game will inefficiently try to shunt processes to other cores.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

HalloKitty posted:

Yay for awful thermal performance without delidding on Skylake!

If it's such a cost issue as they always say, why was it so viable in the Sandy Bridge days, when Sandy Bridge cost less comparatively than the newer CPUs?

If only they would offer a die with no GPU and the IHS soldered, it would no doubt cost less to produce overall, and be better in every way that matters to someone buying a top-end CPU for the desktop.
It's like Intel wants people to break these delidding them and buy more chips because that's not within warranty

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Skylake non-LGA2011v5 is still dual-channel

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Ak Gara posted:

USB 3.1 is twice as fast as 3.0 and is even faster than SATA3. I think my next upgrade would be 6790K if that ever exists.

Kaby Lake

Nam Taf posted:

I can wait a bit, but it just means I'll hold off on upgrading to Windows 10 for a few motnhs until Skylake settles down and (hopefully) drives the 2nd hand Haswell chips down.
As soon as sales slow down for a chip Intel stops producing them so don't count on that happening

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Tab8715 posted:

There no availability or Vendors announcing new Skylake Laptops.

http://www.engadget.com/2015/08/10/lenovo-thinkpad-p50-and-p70/

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Haswell i7-4790k boost and total speed including IPC is higher than skylake boost :laffo:

At least Xeon will run cold :shepface:

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

slidebite posted:

:stare:
I am curious to see how good of a job they do.
The fan will break in 2-3 months so it won't matter much

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Don Lapre posted:

Intel HSF's may not be the highest of the high end, but i cant say ive ever had a problem with their fans failing.

ElehemEare posted:

Please, elaborate.
The fans themselves break down pretty quick in my experience and sample size of 5 out of 6 and they're not easily replaceable and whatever LP junk I throw on there works a lot better anyhow.

The heatsink itself seems to have improved by virtue of being 4 times as large but I'm still wary of the fan on those things actually lasting if they're still using bottom-tier sleeve bearings.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Twerk from Home posted:

I'm curious about your environment now. I've used Intel stock coolers on several desktops over the years, and sure they're noisy and can't handle any non-trivial overclock, but I haven't had a single one break.
My room collects a ridiculous amount of dust for the airflow it gets (not much) which might not help for fans that have sleeve bearings exposed. I have a shop-vac in my room for this reason.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

canyoneer posted:

If you're using that shopvac to clean the fans, that would explain why your fans are failing at an abnormal rate.
It's for the rest of my room, just the level of ambient dust is hilarious

Maybe I should invest in a dehumidifier

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Oh boy, he already bought the board? That's even more hilarious :shepicide:

He's gonna have trouble getting past 4.3ghz on the G3258 no matter what board he uses (which is why I suggest either a bare-featured H97 no more than $55 after discount or an H81 board), he might as well go full retard and get a 4790k and direct contact cool the CPU

*crunch*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

HalloKitty posted:

So what the hell is Intel up to? Now we finally have the direction in which to go: a giant cache along with a 4/4.4GHz clock speed should be something worth lusting after. Hell, the fact Broadwell is used in a Z97 board is the icing on the cake. It looks like the 5775C can overclock a decent amount, at least north of 4GHz, and definitely uses less power than Devil's Canyon doing it. At this point, I want that more than Skylake.
Prerequisite: Zen has to be competitive

Otherwise, they'll give us basically the same chip forever and any actual improvements will likely be one-offs like the L4 cache on Broadwell.