Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Speaking of needle. Howabout that Vitor? Nobody :airquote: saw that coming, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Count Roland posted:

A few pages ago there was a question and several answers about why elbows aren't used more often. This sort of analysis is exactly the sort of thing I'd like to read and post about, so here are my thoughts. I use some judo terms here: uke is the person performing the technique, tori is the partner.

You have uke and tori backwards.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tori_%28martial_arts%29

Nik Dennis is also a good example of creative standing elbows.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

That's absolutely shocking. It's gonna be hard watching that guy coach for the rest of this season of TUF - he has been pretty visible so far. Some gross negligence causing death in that video, no matter how you slice it. I won't be surprised if someone ends up in jail or sued.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Yuriy posted:

The thing that's a little scary is that I've seen guys way more hosed up looking during and after a fight, and they ended up "fine"-ish

What makes someone like TJ Grant who got super super hosed up by concussions, or that dead dude different? Like does this poo poo just kinda happen?

Edit:

I mean TJ Grant maybe it's because he's been fighting a while, but if that was the kid's amateur debut unless he was like having gym wars, he couldn't have been that worn down

From what I understand the #1 factor is past and existing concussions, which is why TJ isn't coming back until he's 100%, and which is why Nik Dennis called it quits. It's why Travis Lutter was able to knock out Marvin Eastman with a glance. It's why Eric Lindross spent half of his career on the DL. Any headshot on an already-concussed brain can cause serious damage.

If Roufussport is as bad as Rose is making it out to be right now, there's a good chance that this guy had taken a number of serious headshots in preparation (probably "to toughen him up"), and that was likely the underlying cause.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Yuriy posted:

I don't know where these Rose stories are from about Roufous Sport, can you like describe what poo poo goes down?

Is it like Chute Box level?

Doesn't my main man Funky Ben train there

Check her twitter/instagram. Basically the short version is that she and a number of others are accusing the coaches there of physically and mentally abusing fighters in their care - putting 35ers and women in against big men for hard-contact sparring, berating them as wimps when they get hurt, pressuring them into continuing, &c.

https://twitter.com/rosenamajunas/status/534145581925797888 I think this one encapsulates it well.

CommonShore fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Nov 17, 2014

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Street Horrrsing posted:

From listening to Rogan's podcast with Duke, I got the impression his older brother was a psychopath in training, but they both became world champions. He still trains the same way, but he doesn't understand that he succeeded in spite of training like that, not because.

Something about that Rick Roufus vs Changpuek Kietsongrit video and the interviews in it gave me a sense of them not being very nice people.

e. according to twitter Karyn Bryant has an interview with Rose and Pat coming up p.soon.

CommonShore fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Nov 17, 2014

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Too many Pats. I had to scroll up to figure out if we were talking about dogtags-highfive Pat or welterweight-wedgie Pat.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Foul Fowl posted:

jardine was a treasure

I mostly unironically liked Jardine, and I was unironically sad when he was cut.

e. is Bader the new Keith Jardine, perhaps on a wrestling model instead? Good enough to be a threat to anyone in the division, has wins over top guys, but will never be the top guy and probably never get a title shot? Gets KOd in hilarious ways with enough frequency to make his fights worth watching? I guess the counterpoint is that Jardine's fights were often cool when he was winning them....

CommonShore fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Apr 23, 2015

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Giorgio Petrosyan?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

kimbo305 posted:

Trying to learn anything applicable from someone who's 6'11" and prob can't make the UFC heavyweight limit is gonna be tough.

Sato, maybe?

My favourite thing about Schitt is how when he double-collars someone and they get their hands in position to block knees he just starts kicking them in the legs from like 7 feet away.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Campbell MacLaren revealed on twitter that the production team just invented PIT FIGHTING because they wanted something that sounded slightly more formal than DRUNK GUY FROM THE BEACH.

Tank Abbot was also the first fighter to wear two gloves in the UFC.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

One enjoyable aspect of the UFC 12-35 era is that you can see the specific fights that led to specific points in the unified rules. Watch Militech-Burnet and see if you can guess which rule came from that fight!

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Count Roland posted:

Stopping a sub as a 3rd party is really difficult.

Actually, thinking about it, there's probably a whole art's worth of techniques just in that. How do you lock uke, to prevent him from further cranking a sub on tori? It would be something very specific, like the moves themselves.

I wish the refs could just slap or punch the offending fighter in the face, that would get their attention.

edit: grammar

You have uke and tori backward

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Count Roland posted:

Ugh, thought I might. I learned it backwards and have not been able to shake it.

I originally started Judo when I was like 7, and my dad was the sensei, so all of the basic vocabulary is as natural as English to me. Funny thing is I can't remember the Japanese names for ne waza aside from ude garami, and I think that's in part because they didn't start teaching them til we were teenagers, and since I had moved to a different sensei, I wasn't having someone randomly say them to me at all times of the day.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Size and strength aren't irrelevant when technique is more or less equal.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Muttonchips posted:

Thanks to everyone who answered my question (especially if you did it without being mean or snarky about it)

Interestingly enough, a video has surfaced of Miesha "Cupcake" Tate tapping out multiple male opponents in a row in a grappling demo. Doesn't look like they have as much experience as her, but they clearly have a muscle and size advantage and the whole video clearly disproves that whole "women can't fight men because they are weak" myth.

I watched that vid. They are a bunch of internet comedians, and it doesn't look like they have any real size advantage on her.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Muttonchips posted:

My bad- I didn't mean to go off on a hypothetical tangent. I was just trying to gauge the difference between women and men in combat sports. Seems very unlikely we'll see a male on female match in the UFC so it's basically pointless to speculate.

It's just that with all the talk of Ronda vs Mayweather fight, I wanted an informed opinion of the odds of a female fighter defeating a male fighter. I heard a lot of people talking about how Ronda would completely destroy Mayweather in a MMA fight, but after reading this thread, it's clear those people have no idea what they're talking about.

Asking about men vs women in combat sports isn't really a relevant question any more than asking what would happen if Demetrious Johnson fought Chris Weidman. They compete in separate divisions for a reason. What's more important is to just judge any fighter in respect to his or her own division. Any other absurd battle of the sexes type proposition is just a sexist red herring which trivializes the womens divisions as some kind of novelty act.

So who cares if Floyd fought Ronda? It's literally never going to happen, and it only gets brought up by people trying to build hype (for Ronda). Her entertainment value is in watching her faceplant Brazilian book keepers.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

EmmyOk posted:

Though I agree it is a dumb conversation Ronda is the person who most often brings up her fighting Floyd.

Trying to build hype for Ronda.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Muttonchips posted:

Here's an interesting fact. There used to be a time in UFC when there was no weight class. Demetrious Johnson facing off against Chris Weidman could have been a real possibility. Personally I would have love to see them bring back tournaments without weight classes. Post-diverticulitis Brock Lesnar versus Louis Gaudinot would make for an interesting match-up, imo. They didn't add in weight classes until UFC 12.

Those first few UFC tournaments consisted of tricking kickboxers and brawlers into a jiu jitsu tournament while the Graicies changed the rules on the fly to suit their needs.

Here's an interesting fact. You're hanging out in a thread that's full of people who have seen literally every UFC event and you're turning into a smarmy know-it-all when they're giving you polite and realistic answers to your dumb questions.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Gadamer posted:

I watched the Jorge Santiago vs Kazuo Misaki 2 fight mentioned in the OP and loved the commentators:

The OP hasn't been updated since 2011 - anyone have recommendations for some more recent (and easier to find) fights to watch?

Lawler-MacDonald

Gathje-Palomino 1 and to a lesser extent 2

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

origami posted:

Watch a highlight reel of Rousimar Palhares (including his ADCC run) and then watch Palhares v Alan Belcher

I'm going to watch it again right now!

Johnny Cash looks like he knows what's about to happen.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Nick Diaz > Lawler
Nick Diaz > Tibau
Nick Diaz > Gomi
Nick Diaz > BJ

Tibau is the most prolific lightweight of all time, and BJ is the greatest lightweight of all time, ergo Nick Diaz is the greatest lightweight of all time, and he beat Robbie Lawler.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I.N.R.I posted:

do amateur fighters cut weight too? if i had to guess, probably some do depending on the sport, but its not necessarily required to be competitive as an amateur right? like maybe its more important in grappling than say kickboxing or something. anyway, id like to know for sure.

I'm not a significant competitor, but I cut 9 pounds for my last judo tournament, and then used that weight cut to maintain weight for a bjj tournament two weeks later. Granted, part of why I did that cut was to see what it was like and if I could do it.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Mr. Nice! posted:

And what was your response? Will you be doing it again?
It was a pretty unpleasant experience, but once I got into the rhythm of things I just kept at it the way that I do for a hard workout. Essentially I cut my calories to 1800/day (lean pork, brown/wild rice, and peas for pretty much every meal), cut my sodium to as close to zero as I could manage, and did an extra light cardio workout every day. I didn't end up needing to do an epsom salt bath to make the last two pounds. The day of I ate nothing but peanut butter and a single apple, and a cup of coffee with coconut oil in it for breakfast. The afternoon of the judo weigh-in I just threw on three layers of clothing, moved mats to set up the venue, and then jogged laps around the gym until they opened the scales. It was from 154.5->145.5, btw.

If I do it again I'll start the cut 3 weeks out instead of one week, or maybe like a week for every 3 or 4 pounds I have to do. This one was last minute because I had been misinformed as to what the weight classes were going to be for that tournament, and I previously thought that I only needed to do 2-3 lb. I knew that I could do it because I once burned 7 pounds in one day, mind you inadvertently. Knowing that you've passed the finish line once before makes the journey quite a bit easier.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Gadamer posted:

Would we see a drastic shift in match ups if they turned weigh-ins to day of? It seems that if they did that roughly the same people would be fighting, just shifted up one weight class. The only conflict I can see is the really big guys who need to cut down to 265lb.

They'd just fight dehydrated.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Lid posted:

Has anyone tried to make weight by shaving off all the hair on their body?

One guy cut off his dreads

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

a retard posted:

What ruleset does modern Pancrase use? I tried to look it up and I get poo poo ranging from Unified Rules, to Unified Rules with elbows allowed, to Pride rules

I'm pretty sure it's just whatever causes the white guy/girl to get DQed.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Ty1990 posted:

When did the UFC implement the rule that they don't grant you a 1lb allowance for title fights? Maybe it's a wrong article but I'm reading about Travis Lutter's weight cut for Anderson and it's saying he needed to hit 186.5, not 185, in order to make weight.

Not the UFC's rule - it's a commission rule. Some commissions allegedly have different rules on this, too. A big hurfy controversy in GSP-Diaz is that the Quebec Athletic Commission supposedly let GSP weigh in at 171.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Tezcatlipoca posted:

The Barncat just won a fight with a triangle and Brian Ortega beat Diego Brandao with one as well. I don't remember if either were from the bottom or not.

Ortega's wasn't from the bottom. It was part of a :krad: sequence that started with a darce.

I think Barncat's was from s-mount but I can't remember clearly.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

The Sphinxster posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lXAGZtMxU8

I'm sure I first saw this here so thank you whomever.

:staredog:

Nice.

quote:

On December 8, 1977, he lost a notorious match against Antonio Inoki.[4] The match took a turn for the worse when Barichievich inexplicably began to no-sell Inoki's attacks and then attack Inoki, causing Inoki to shoot on Barichievich, legitimately palm striking, kicking, then finally stomping him into a bloody mess.

I also remember seeing footage of some scrub MMA guy trying to kimura Kurt Angle during a WWE event and Angle keeping up kayfabe and powering through it. Here it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_12qn29WKA

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

LobsterMobster posted:

Last year in Japanese women's wrestling organization World Wonder Stardom, YOSHIKO took on Act Yasukawa. Apparently they'd had some issues in the past and potentially YOSHIKO didn't want to drop the title to Act, but whatever the case, YOSHIKO instantly turns things into a shoot and starts punching the gently caress out of Act. Act, who already had some health issues, including limited sight in one eye, was left with a broken orbital, nose and cheekbone, ultimately forcing her retirement. YOSHIKO was indefinitely suspended and then released. As far as I'm aware, she hasn't worked again

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBXq5clKi7o

:staredog: at the vid
:staredog: at your knowledge of Japanese women's pro wrestling.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Captain Log posted:

It's sad how boxing used to be a bunch of fun to watch twenty years ago and now it's just junk. Klitschko is so God damned boring it's hard to comprehend and he only just lost to a giant British retarded person. In nineteen Klitscko fights I really can't think of a "Holy poo poo!" moment. Boxing is so very watered down and has too many weight classes that it's very hard to give a gently caress. I'll watch old videos from the 80's or even ancient stuff like Willie Pep and really enjoy it. I wonder what the sport needs to be truly rejuvenated.

I dunno. He had that one a few back where the guy caught him clean and he stepped out, scowled at the guy, and just knocked him out with his next attack as if he had been free to put the guy down at any moment in the entire fight and just decided to end it there. It was amazing in a vacuum but the more I think about it I get angry that he only did it that one time instead of in every fight.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Dangersim posted:

Yeah but who watches old bad fights

:thejoke:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Bluedeanie posted:

As far as I know there's nothing formal about this, but in every case where a fight fell through for someone last minute because the other guy hosed up and the ufc couldn't get a replacement together, they paid that guy his show pay. It won't compare at all to what he would have gotten in sponsors, ppv points and other bonuses from actually fighting, but DC likely didn't bankrupt himself preparing for a Jones fight that didn't transpire.

I wonder if there's something in the contracts that prevents DC from suing Jones over this. That would be amazing fun.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

mewse posted:

Wow, you're right, it's the same punch executed with skill

Differences: Duran didn't telegraph the punch, he closed the distance with his jab so he wasn't throwing it from a mile away, and he powered it with his rear leg (notice he ends up with his rear foot forward)

I clicked on the play button and refreshed the page like 6 times while swearing before I realized that this was a .jpg.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I think Ian McCall said that he takes a sextuple shot of espresso before he works out? It might have been a different fighter, but it sounds like the kind of dumbassed thing he'd do, anyway.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Lid posted:

Also this

Stephens torques his hip into the uppercut

Also helps that Stephens hits like a loving truck

But you'll also observe that the guys who hit like trucks also do poo poo like torque their hips into uppercuts.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

EmmyOk posted:

From watching fights and reading a bit I've picked up what most punches are and what they look like but I'm still pretty fuzzy on what's meant by a cross or cross-counter(?).

Cross is usually a synonym for rear hand straight.

Cross counter is a rear hand straight/overhand thrown overtop of someone's jab, right to the chin.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

LobsterMobster posted:

flyweight - the minimum size a fighter has to be to not get scared that a buzzing fly will carry him away

bantamweight - bantam chickens are smaller than average. these fighters can easily be shoved inside an egg

featherweight - a sack of feathers is twice as heavy as a featherweight

welterweight - a corruption of Walterweight, these fighters are the same size as prime Walter Matthau

Checks out. Also Atomweight is actually named for forums poster -Atom-, whose posts have little substance. Cruiserweight is a reference to certain shenanigans which happen in highway rest stops, as this division has the largest lean muscley men.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

MysteryNad posted:

jordan mein