Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

ozmunkeh posted:

Can you download the 180 day trial and stick it in a vm?
This. This is exactly the kind of test scenario MS had in mind when they created the eval versions of all their software.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

thebmw posted:

Can't you get a trial of that too?
Yup, you definitely can.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2008/en/us/trial-software.aspx

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe
I have a question about Exchange via HTTP on Exchange 2007/Office 2010.

To note: I've got all the external and internal hostnames set up correctly (autodiscover is resolvable outside of the building, etc.) and the UCC certificate is working great.

When I have a laptop in the building that I've configured Outlook 2010 on, they can then take that laptop outside of the building and not even need a VPN connection to connect to Exchange - it uses connection type "Exchange HTTP". What I'm trying to figure out is how to setup a laptop for this same type of connection that has never set foot in our office.

I've tried replicating the settings exactly how my copy of Outlook on my laptop is set up, but when I go to add the server name and click the "Check name" button after I've entered my name, I get this error: http://i.imgur.com/EwqeG.png

Am I missing something here, or do I have to have the machine here in the office for the initial configuration?

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

Linux Nazi posted:

It should automatically configure the RPC proxy settings with autodiscover, but where you want to verify that is going to be buried in the mail account settings here:

Yeah, I have all those settings replicated identically between the two machines, but I'm having 0 luck.

I guess I'll probably just do as sanchez suggests and VPN them temporarily until they can pull those settings down.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

Linux Nazi posted:

Yup! This is actually the exact function that the system attendant (mad.exe) provides. It acts as a proxy for AD requests.

In a healthy environment you shouldn't have to add any extra settings.
I just checked and the System Attendant service is definitely running. Any other suggestions?

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

Linux Nazi posted:

Try kicking it over for good measure. Otherwise see what the /rpcdiag comes back with on the client side.

It's worth sorting out the issue, since it's likely to happen again next time you have to provision a remote user's outlook client.

Also see if the remote analyzer tool qualifies you.

https://www.testexchangeconnectivity.com/

e: Check the RPC/HTTP and just have it use autodiscover.
Just ran through the Tester and it mentioned something about the RPCProxy ports not being open, so I've forwarded the port-open request to our network team. As soon as I hear back from them, I'll try it again.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe
Ok, so I've got it working - and forwarding the ports had nothing to do with the problem.

Apparently Exchange 2007+ loves talking IPv6 even when IPv6 is disabled. What I did was edit the hosts file on the local Exchange server with the following lines:
code:
10.0.1.65      nrp-cal-exch1.DOMAIN.local
10.0.1.65      nrp-cal-exch1
aka: both the NetBIOS name and FQDN of the server.

As soon as I did that (no reboots or anything were needed), the whole thing started working beautifully! I could even use the "Automatically detect mail settings" rather than using the "Manually configure server settings" in Outlook.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

babies havin rabies posted:

I spent the last 3 years in a Groupwise/Zimbra environment and I'm stupid rusty. Any of you Exchange 2007 wizards know the PowerShell command to grant calendar Author/Reviewer (Edit) permission to Jack@network.net for Jill@network.net's calendar? All that the Exchange Console lets me do is give Jack full permissions to Jill's entire mailbox. There probably wouldn't be anything wrong with giving myself full permissions to Jill's entire mailbox and setting the permissions for Jack that way, but there has to be a more elegant way to go about this. Also Jill is on vacation this week and can't do it herself.

Google keeps throwing up Set-MailboxFolderPermission but it looks like that was something that was added in Exchange 2010 since it won't work for me at all.

http://exchangeshare.wordpress.com/2008/05/27/faq-give-calendar-read-permission-on-all-mailboxes-pfdavadmin/ - it's not PowerShell but it'll do what you need.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

Linux Nazi posted:

For exchange 2010 (not sure on 2007) there is a cmdlet that will output this for you.

Something like:
code:
Get-ActiveSyncDevice|fl identity,name,devicetype,deviceuseragent
Will tell you the name of the device, the type of device, the version of the useragent, and the mailbox that is utilizing the device.
code:
Identity        : domain.local/Users/Test Testington/ExchangeActiveSyncDevices/iPad§ApplDLFFL6KDUJHG
Name            : iPad§ApplDLFFL6KDUJHG
DeviceType      : iPad
DeviceUserAgent : Apple-iPad2C3/808.8

Exchange 2007:
code:
[PS] C:\Windows\system32>Get-ActiveSyncDeviceStatistics -mailbox:bonerpillz | fl identity,name,devicetype,deviceuseragent

Identity        : [email]bonerpillz@i.have.viag[/email]ra\AirSync-iPhone-Appl12345ABCDE
DeviceType      : iPhone
DeviceUserAgent : Apple-iPhone3C1/810.2

[PS] C:\Windows\system32>

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe
We're definitely a BackupExec shop as the owner of the company wants to be able to go back up to a year to recover accidentally deleted items.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

Trinitrotoluene posted:

Sounds like you need to run her credentials through here https://www.testexchangeconnectivity.com/ and see what is going on
This. TEC has saved my rear end so many times on weird ActiveSync and Outlook Anywhere issues, it's not even funny.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

sanchez posted:

I've never restricted this.
Neither have I. Vendors and clients are just as important as co-workers and should be notified if an important message won't be dealt with just the same. This way they can make alternate arrangements with someone else at the organization should the information be urgent, rather than have it sit untouched with no one knowing that it's not being addressed.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

COCKMOUTH.GIF posted:

stuff
The first thing I'd be doing is running dcdiag on the DC and making sure that everything there comes out cleanly.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

Crackbone posted:

as I understand those OST files are encrypted
Unless this is something new, it shouldn't be. There's tons of OST to PST conversion tools out there (they're usually around the $40 or $50 range) and they can typically pull everything out without issue, assuming that the OST hasn't been damaged or corrupted.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

LmaoTheKid posted:

Funny, I had a problem this morning with my bosses outlook and disabled cached mode and the problem went away. I have a feeling ESET is to blame but I'm still trying to figure things out.

Basically, Outlook sat there for about 30 minutes and wouldn't update while his Blackberry was getting email all the time.

Obviously, I'm going to have to use it for our remote offices, but I'm considering disabling it here in the main office where the server is, if this problem keeps up.
Did you try re-enabling it after disabling it? When you disable it, the .ost file is deleted which, if it becomes corrupt, can cause the exact issues you were seeing. Just re-enabling it forces it to recreate that file and usually solves the problem.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

mindphlux posted:

this seems like a dumb question, but I've been stumped on it for so long I guess I figure I should just ask someone else.

is there a way to move outlook profiles between computers? like, the views, accounts, signatures, everything?

bonus points, with redirected folders on a domain network, is there a way to have profile data sit on a network drive?

I have a large network, where ideally I'd like a user to be able to sit down at any machine, maybe having never even logged on to that machine before, and get the same environment - outlook profile included. probably a pipe dream though.
Look into roaming profiles.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe
You have something like 3 weeks to have two SBS machines running on the same domain before one of them will start shutting down every few hours.

Or if you want to go outside of official support channels, forever: http://www.bursky.net/index.php/2012/02/disable-sbs-migration-grace-period-expiration/

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

Chillbro Swaggins posted:

Yeah I think you're right. Looks like backups are running at about 500mb/minute for the exchange job when other jobs are at 1500mb/min.

I'll check this out......
How are you backing it up? BackupExec? If BE, are you using GRT?

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

Linux Nazi posted:

great advice
What about what he wrote makes you think that they have any kind of roll back plan that they can go back to 2003, then do 2010, then properly move to 2013? There is no way that a company who shoehorned in things the way they did took any kind of proper precautions. None.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe
According to the URL, you're being blocked because they think you're spamming. https://support.google.com/mail/answer/81126

If you've actually got publicly routed IPv6 space, you're going to need to set up reverse DNS on the outbound address from your mailserver(s).

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

Alctel posted:

Just finished a Exchange 2003 --> 2010 Migration.

However everyone has billions of PST files for archives - does anyone have an easy way to move these onto the online archives?
http://exchangeserverpro.com/exchange-2010-import-pst-files-mailboxes/ or just have them drag and drop their e-mail into their mailboxes.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

Alctel posted:

So I will have to do it manually then for each user, ugh. Also all the PST files are named different things and saved all over the drat place (email policies before I started were a complete mess)
Well if they were named even remotely consistently, you could write a Powershell script to import them that way, but if not, you're going to be doing this for a while.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

Pham Nuwen posted:

At work we're running some experiments in a virtual environment. We'd like to have a VM running an Exchange server. We intend to send emails to that server via SMTP. We do not need to retrieve or read the emails once they arrive, the server simply needs to accept them. We're already doing this with a Linux server, so now we want to test with Exchange for completeness.

Everyone here is pretty much exclusively Unix, so we don't have any experience setting this kind of thing up. Talking briefly to the people who do corporate email, they recommended we set up one VM running Server 2008 R2 as our AD server, then install Exchange 2010 on another Server 2008 VM. Can anyone point me at good, reliable information on how to set up AD and Exchange in a very basic configuration? I have basically no Windows admin experience so I can't even gauge if an article is giving me the right information unless I try it.

We have people with MSDN access, so getting the software shouldn't be an issue. If Server 2008 + Exchange 2010 aren't the best choices, we can definitely use different versions.
AD: http://www.howtogeek.com/99323/installing-active-directory-on-server-2008-r2/
Exchange: http://www.enterprisenetworkingplanet.com/datacenter/Installing-Exchange-2010-Step-by-Step-3877601.htm

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

movax posted:

I just miss my push email from Google Apps :(
It never went away?

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

movax posted:

For personal accounts + new device pairings after earlier this year, you don't get push mail anymore. So if I want to ever upgrade my iPhone, I have to use IMAP/fetch like some kind of peasant.

(unless iCloud backups preserve the ActiveSync pairing)
It only doesn't work for newly-created accounts - I bought the iPhone 5s (a month ago) and push still works fine on it.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

movax posted:

Hm, I tried setting up my existing personal Google Apps account on my new iPad as an Exchange account and it doesn't seem to work :(
That's very odd because I have push working on my new phone. Email, calendars and contacts are all synced and working instantaneously. I'm not sure why yours isn't. Sorry dude. :(

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

NevergirlsOFFICIAL posted:

when my wife got her 5s she couldn't add Exchange, we had to do carddav/caldav and then "gmail" for email.
Had she used the Exchange method on her previous phone? Because the way I understood it is that if your account had EVER been used via the Exchange method, that would persist forever, but anyone who hadn't activated it once before the cutoff date would be stuck using the CardDAV/CalDAV method.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

Caged posted:

I switched iPhones and ActiveSync stopped working so I'm not so sure that you get to keep it if you used it.

iOS 7 also added Calendars and Contacts syncing to a Google account so you don't need to setup CalDAV/CardDAV. I have Google set to fetch every hour or so and the Gmail app installed to actually use for email.
That's very weird. I took some screenshots of my phone just now showing that it's using the Exchange connection type and that it's the iPhone 5s (Model ME299C/A = 5s). I don't understand why mine works and the two of yours won't. I'm starting to worry that mine is only active by mistake and - as in Office Space - they're just gonna fix the glitch.

http://imgur.com/a/b6POb

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

kiwid posted:

We're about to finalize our Office 365 migration but we have a lot of fragmentation when it comes to servers, software, robots, etc., that were relaying anonymously through our Exchange 2003 SMTP server. I know I'm going to forget about some of our stuff that's setup to email alerts and poo poo so what is the best way to resolve this? Should I retire the Exchange 2003 server and put in an SMTP relay on that IP address to send to an Office 365 smart host and then just monitor the logs to see what is still sending, or should I do something else?
Rather than watching the logs, set up a transport rule that forwards a copy of every message from that smart host to your mailbox so that you get notified immediately rather than having to manually check logs (if this isn't breaking any compliance rules for your company, of course).

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

kiwid posted:

Ah, yeah that makes more sense.

Next question. I have a company that builds a lot of our custom web applications that wants to be able to send password resets from a @ourdomain.com email address. I've never done this before for external use. Should I just modify our SPF record to allow them as a sender and tell them to use their own SMTP server or should I somehow give them access to send through our Office 365 account?
Adding their outbound mail servers to your SPF record should be more than sufficient. If you can, add their SPF record as an extension of yours rather than adding specific IP ranges in case they ever change providers or get a new block of IPs.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

Caged posted:

They should ideally have an SPF record setup on a domain they control the DNS for that you can just include in your own SPF record, means they can make changes without causing any issues.

It's like there's an echo in here...

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

Mierdaan posted:

It's finally happened. Trying to track down a deliverability problem, eventually it came down to...

Anyone have a good smarthost recommendation? :downs:

Get a basic VPS and set up Sendmail to act as one: http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/configure-sendmail-as-a-smart-host/

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

Gozinbulx posted:

Whats the current go-to Spam filtering software for exchange?
If you don't want cloud or appliance, we use ThreatTrack (nee GFI, nee Sunbelt Software) VIPRE for Exchange. It has both its own filters as well as a CloudMark subscription and works drat near perfectly for us. I don't remember the last time I got an actual spam message, and after a quick (anecdotal) consultation with a couple of random co-workers who just walked by my office, they agree.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

Swink posted:

I have a problem with staff going to remote sites, logging onto a PC and pulling down their entire mailbox over the WAN, maxing it out for hours.

What are my options in Exchange\Outlook 2010 for limiting the rate at which a client can pull down mail? I dont necessarily mind that they pull 4+gigs of mailbox over the wire, I'd just rather drip-feed it to them at say 200Kb/s.
Why not educate them on the benefits of OWA?

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe
Can someone answer a very stupid question for me: we have a single Exchange 2007 server which hosts both mailboxes and OWA. Is it possible to install Exchange 2010 as just an OWA host which would talk to the 2007 mailbox server and present them in Exchange 2010 OWA (vs. Exchange 2007 OWA)? I feel like this should be possible, but I don't want to spend hours and hours trying to get it to work, only to find out that it's impossible.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

Gyshall posted:

Yes, just spin up a new server with Exchange 2010 on it, and only install the Client Access role. Then update that server with the proper hostnames for your OWA, add your SSL certs and then update your DNS records to point at that server.

Not sure why you would do this since it makes more sense to just migrate to Exchange 2010 from a licensing standpoint, but it is possible.
Awesome, thanks.

The plan would be to eventually migrate all of the mailboxes to the 2010 server but that may not happen for a few months yet. I just wanted to know if I could get started now.

I appreciate the speedy response.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

Gyshall posted:

Yeah, in that case install all the roles you'll be using on the 2010 server, not just the Client Access one. 2010 and 2007 can coexist.

Here is some good reading for that - https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/jj542449.aspx
Ok, so I installed 2010 on a VM just to test and when I try and hit OWA with my credentials (my mailbox is on the 2007 server), all it does is redirect me to the 2007 OWA (and then errors out, but that's not important).

Is there no way to have the 2010 OWA show the contents of my 2007 mailbox, or am I hooped?

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

Gyshall posted:

Oh - no, 2010 OWA/CAS can only open 2010 mailboxes. What is happening is a proxy to the 2007 server, which is what I thought you wanted.
Yeah, I was hoping for some 2010 CAS -> 2007 MB action. Oh well.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe
We've been running Exchange 2007 (fully up to date) for years. We finally got permission to stand up a 2010 box and so over the past few weeks, when I've had time, I've been working on getting it ready (patching, configuring, etc.). I finally got it to a point where I thought it was ready, and so moved my mailbox from EXCH1 to EXCH2 as a test yesterday. My plan is to use it myself for a few days (or weeks?) before I unleash it on the rest of the company. Now ever since the move, if Outlook 2010 is in Cached Exchange Mode, it simply will not update. If I close it and reopen it, it will grab all the changes since the last time it was opened, but no new emails ever show up until it's restarted again.

Things I've done:
1. I've changed to non-cached Exchange mode; this works fine.
2. I've tried deleting and recreating the OST; this made no difference.
3. I've tried completely rebuilding my Outlook profile; this made no difference.
4. I've gone through Microsoft's Remote Connectivity Analyzer (https://testconnectivity.microsoft.com/); every test checks out fine.
5. I've added my Exchange account in the new iPhone app; it works and updates fine.

I'm at a loss as to where else to look. Suggestions?

And of course literally as I post this, the problem solves itself. *sigh*

nexxai fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Feb 11, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

AAB posted:

Exchange gang,
I'm trying to set a rule up to
"Quarantine emails with address from %domain%, not originating in %domain%"

For example, spam email comes in labeled as jim@email.com but not actually coming from the email.com domain, I want it to be quarentined. I can kinda remember where it was in exchange 2008 but not in 365. Hope that makes sense.

This is exactly what SPF is designed to protect you from, however I'm not sure that the ability is built into Exchange. Is there any way you can stand up an ASSP instance in front of Exchange so that it can act as a spam filter? It's actually pretty powerful (and free) and will do not only SPF checking but bayesian filtering and all kinds of other cool things too.