Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Effingham posted:

Pity they blew the big points on everyone speaking English

Crazy idea that popped into my head the other day while I was rewatching an episode of SG1.

Ra took the language of the people that led the slave rebellion, and as leader of the System Lords spread it among all the various worlds. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

IRQ posted:

They retconned a lot of how things worked in the movie. That was one of the more important ones for the show to make any sense.

Mostly retconned it. When possible they still did make different points of origin for different planets, at least.

Although I'm not sure what you mean about the other method not making sense. It'd be really cumbersome for a TV series like the language issue, sure, and so it's a good thing they got rid of it. But since as dumb as it is they did hold to that "six symbols for six points in space" thing throughout the whole series, I don't see how it wouldn't make sense for different gates to have different sets of symbols to represent each planets' constellations. Both methods make just as much sense to me, it's just one was pretty dumb for the Ancients to have implemented and the other isn't.

Of course, since "dumb to have implemented" can describe most everything the Ancients do, maybe they should've stuck with the movie method after all.

Idran fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Jun 19, 2011

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Gorilla Salad posted:

Why did Teal'c act so differently from every single other Jaffa we ever met?

I never thought he acted that differently from what other Jaffa from Chulak that we saw, really. And outside that, you could chalk it up to different Jaffa cultures. They were a galaxy-wide race, after all. Kind of silly to expect them all to act the same even with the influence of the Goa'uld.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

JetsGuy posted:

It's been a plot point more than once where someone glances at the DHD after the gate has been dialed, so I'm pretty sure the order doesn't matter.

I'm not sure about that; I remember one episode where they mentioned trying "every permutation" of a set of gate symbols and only found one planet that linked. (I think it was an early episode of Atlantis?) Since that would only be 720 possible combinations, it wouldn't take all that long comparatively to find it in that situation; just an hour if you were trying it on a DHD and each dialing only took like 5 seconds, a few hours if it was back at the SGC, but either way you could get it in a single day.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

JetsGuy posted:

Maybe the Atlantis gate system works differently?

I generally discount any kind of lines like "we've tried every permutation, every combination", because most writers have the math ability of my students who can't even add (this is not an exaggeration, I have had college students ask me how to add).

Me too when it's a ridiculously high figure, but when it's actually feasible to try every possible permutation or combination of something, I don't see any reason to discount it even if the writers didn't actually have any idea exactly how much that was.

I guess it could be that the Atlantis system works differently, though. And the way addresses are described to work, it wouldn't really make any sense in either system for order to matter. (Not that the way addresses are described to work makes sense in the first place, but still.)

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

IRQ posted:

The 1950s program managed to get one that wasn't Abydos, and presumably they didn't have Carter's magic computer poo poo either. So it's certainly possible.

Since they had no idea what the symbols meant until the movie, all Carter's system could have done in terms of trying combinations was make it so they didn't have to dial things manually, make it so they could try combinations faster. They were still just trying random combinations, they just got lucky. But you're right that someone on a planet could've gotten lucky with it too, yeah.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

tenh19 posted:

Once Teal'c got on tretonin, did his pouch close up?

Nope, there was that one episode after he was on tretonin where he got shot in the pouch and got emo about his spine not healing overnight.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

JetsGuy posted:

EDIT: To speak nothing of how retarded it is to use constellations to denote a point in space.

Not to mention needing six of them.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

JetsGuy posted:

My bigger issue is that its absolutely asinine as literally no constellation will look the same from a different star system, especially star systems on the other side of the galaxy. Constellations are completely arbitrary and just based on your perspective of the bright stars you can see from your part iin the galaxy.

To be fair, in the movie that's why Abydos had different symbols entirely, it was just a budgetary concern.

But even then:

Yaos posted:

They use 6 coordinates to define a volume of space in the shape of a cube. This way they can contact a Startgate without needing to know it's exact location, only it's general location. There is no way for anybody on Earth to have known this before going through the Stargate, and there is no way Daniel would have ever figured it out because he's terrible at math. He does not even know that the concept of zero is required for space travel.

Okay, I guess that would make sense, but that leads to the other problem: it would be impossible to actually use constellations for that, even just on Earth.

I'm not even sure why I'm harping on this, since it's not like Stargate has ever really been anything close to hard sci-fi. It's just this one thing has always really bugged me about it.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Effingham posted:

Hammond of Texas was my favorite character in the entire show. I was majorly bummed when Don Davis died -- he was by all accounts a genuinely nice guy.

I know the years wouldn't work out right at all, but I always liked to imagine some kind of connection between Hammond and Briggs from Twin Peaks. Two great shows, and after all, "deep space radar telemetry" is basically what Briggs did in Twin Peaks. :v:

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

tenh19 posted:

And if you do know the actual symbols but not the order, it is 6! (assuming you know the point of origin).

Yeah, from what I half-remembered from that episode that was specifically the situation I was talking about.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Yaos posted:

They claim they are going to make sequels to the original Stargate movie that have nothing to do with the series.

Emmerich and Devlin have been talking about this kind of thing literally since the series started. In fact, Stargate was supposed to be a trilogy, and in the DVD commentary for the movie they talk some about what they had planned for the later films, but they got distracted by making Independence Day and the plans for the later Stargate movies collapsed. They even approved a line of tie-in novels based solely on the movie and completely contrary to the show that was still being published into SG-1's 4th or 5th season.

Anyway, with how long it's been without even a word of success, I'd be surprised if they could get it off the ground now. Even with the TV franchise being dead. But I guess they've got a better chance now than ever.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

JetsGuy posted:

I think it's really funny that Stargate originally started from things like "Chariots of the Gods", and other books by Erik van Daaniken, a man who has outright admitted to fabricating (or at least manipulating) all the data in his "non-fiction".

They had a documentary about him and that book on the DVD for the movie, and it was just hilarious to watch. I'd heard about "aliens built the pyramids" theories, but I didn't know about this guy until I'd watched that.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

tenh19 posted:

Oh yeah, they're pretty far out there, but so far as I know, they're *theoretically* possible. When you're dealing with that kind of physics, everything's pretty much theoretical.

They're theoretically possible in the sense that "if you could get some form of matter with negative mass, you could create and sustain one, but otherwise they collapse too fast for even a subatomic particle to pass through."

Not antimatter, matter whose mass is a negative number.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

eating only apples posted:

I'm three-quarters of the way through season 1 and he's already died twice so I expect the number to rise dramatically higher than 4 over the next few seasons.

(Admittedly one death he wasn't actually dead, but everyone thought he was so I say it counts.)

Don't forget the movie!

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

IRQ posted:

No, Atlantis is never better than SG1's best. It's better than SG1's worst, but it's hard not to be better than the Ori arc.

Atlantis is a cheesier show, but once you accept that it's smooth sailing. Season 1 is a bit ropey because it's still trying to play it straight, but once McKay and Sheppard start riffing off each other more and they retool the Wraith a bit it gets a lot more fun.

Also the space corn. :catdrugs:

Space corn was SG1, not Atlantis.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

DirtyRobot posted:

The other thing about the DHD is that Rodney on his first appearance mentions that the dialing computer bypasses all sorts of really important safety features in the gate/DHD and they're lucky not to have blown themselves up yet (and that they were basically still at risk). So you'd think a DHD of some sort would probably be useful, even if the dialing computer had advantages.

It's got really useful advantages, though. All that information the gate sends out isn't something a DHD can display.

This is all based on circumstantial stuff from the shows, but the way I saw it, the Ancients built the DHD for use on other planets, but built the gates to explicitly allow for a dialing computer-like setup as a more advanced means of control. We know the gates send out a lot of information that you need some sort of more advanced interface to read. That's where the SGC dialing computer gets that information on travel time through the gate, details on energy output, matter stream status, all that kind of stuff. So there has to be some reason why the gate outputs that information when a DHD doesn't have any actual way of displaying it. That's also why I figure Atlantis seems to have an actual dialing computer of some sort instead of just a basic DHD setup.

Given how often we've seen McKay do it, it could even be that DHDs were actually made with the capability for diagnostic computers to hook into them for more detailed troubleshooting when necessary.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Rhyno posted:

The Alterans probably had wireless units that could pull up all that data if they needed to, SG personal have to manually jack in because they aren't up to the same level of technology.

Oh, that makes sense. Didn't even think about wireless stuff for that.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

JetsGuy posted:

When Kate Mulgrew admitted this, I really gained about a million tons of respect for her.

Haha, she did? Any chance someone has a link to that interview?

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

DirtyRobot posted:

Actually, I swear I recently saw some thing about Roland Emmerich being interested in making a Stargate sequel that ignored the TV series'.

He's literally been talking about that since the movie came out. It was supposed to be a series of movies back then, but he got caught up by making Independence Day and put that aside.

He hates the series too.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

IRQ posted:

All 4 will kill you if you're too close as well!

The Ancients were real dicks.

Wait, does the vortex form on both sides? I know the movie had that swirly effect in back, but I thought the kawoosh was only on the "front" of the gate in the show.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

JetsGuy posted:

...and that woman in the Season 6 episode that Jonas was apparently the only person interested in talking to.

Speaking of her, this was a background bit I had no idea about until I happened across it. That was the same character as the female Ancient in the flashback in the first episode of Atlantis. (I dunno why I never realized that since they say "Antarctica" outright in the flashback, but I guess I just didn't recognize the actress with it being so long since I'd seen the SG1 episode.)

http://stargate.wikia.com/wiki/Ayiana

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

bobkatt013 posted:

Also those clip shows would often be hugely plot heavy. Like one introduced Senator Kinsey and he was involved with 80% of them.

Plus, one of those clip shows gave us this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-9RyHmjK-4

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Chairman Mao posted:

Paul McGann is in this movie? The guy who was Doctor Who in the 90s?

He meant Paul McGillion, Dr. Beckett on Atlantis. But it's a real movie, yeah. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Dog%27s_Breakfast

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE posted:

First: Cool shirt I would quite like to have one. Second: You do know the Air Force was pretty heavily involved in the production of Stargate right? Like 2 different AF 4 stars had cameos on the show.

And one of those was the then-Chief of Staff of the Air Force.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

machinegunmessiah posted:

What was the name of the episode where SG1 was assaulting the base of some minor Goauld and acting like it ain't no thang? Telling the Jaffa to surrender, etc. I believe it was later in the series...

I think you're thinking of "The Other Guys" in season 6?

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Not that suddenly, and they still seem to barely ever use those either. And even then, zats are a lot more effective and flexible than stunners, with the whole two-shots-kill thing.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Avulsion posted:

Maybe they just assume that most gates will be located near the nicest part of the planet, and most civilizations will be located near the gate? Besides, until they got the puddle jumpers they didn't have any way of traveling more than a few dozen miles from the gates unless there was some pre-existing transportation infrastructure. It's not like they were going to take a disassembled bush plane through the gate to visit some pre-industrial town 100 miles away.

Luigi Thirty posted:

The Goa'uld aren't going to move a gate to the middle of nowhere. If there's a gate somewhere, it's because there's something of interest there or was at one time. Similarly if an advanced civilization's figured out how to work their stargate they're not just going to leave it out in the middle of nowhere for anyone to just invade through.

I'm pretty sure it was more just a joke about the sci-fi stereotype of planets having a single climate worldwide. Ice planets, desert planets, swamp planets, etc.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Rocksicles posted:

that's a rubbish perspective.

I prefer to see it has visualizing the mission reports, which is what everyone else who doesn't go off world has to do.

Isn't that pretty much the same thing?

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer
I thought they double-shot Jaffa all the time when they were in combat?

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Mrens posted:

Two points of basic biology that still puzzle me, why are the ancients aliens? Two possibilities, one is that the ancients are an alien species from another planet that look identical to us and our DNA is so similar that we can produce viable offspring. Why not just say the ancients are an offshoot of humans that rose up and died off before recorded history, which is also unlikely but more plausible then the former.

I'm pretty sure that with the whole "Ancient gene" thing it's supposed to be the other way around: humans are an offshoot of Ancients from after they escaped the Pegasus galaxy and settled here. I think there's more to it than that; there'd have to be considering evolution and all, after all. But yeah, if nothing else, they definitely actually do present us as a related race.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Met posted:

They threw out a lot of mechanics out of convenience it seems like. The frost on the characters after they travel through the gate. The earthquakes and tremors, especially on recently unused gates that wouldn't have any sort of stabilization built by the locals, and other things like that.

They did at least address these two in the show itself. It was actually in that same episode I think, someone said both effects were artifacts of an earlier version of the dialing program not properly interfacing with the gate, not with the gate itself.

Which honestly doesn't necessarily break from the movie either; I mean, we never actually saw the after-effects of the trip back to Earth from Abydos.

Senor Tron posted:

The big red button is point of origin isn't it?

No, originally the point of origin was a separate button on each DHD. The big red button is more like a "Send" button once you've dialed in the address.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Snak posted:

Even if you are an astronomer, how would you be able to recognize ANY stars if you were located somewhere else in the galaxy? I mean, how would you even start?

That's what I was wondering too. I mean sure, if you were dropped on Alpha Centauri or something, there'd probably be enough similarity to take a guess. But if you could've been anywhere in the galaxy, could you even identify a single specific star without either a general sky position or the context of a constellation with the naked eye? Honest question since you're an astronomer, JetsGuy.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Raygereio posted:

Constellations are just names for groups of stars that appear to be closely together and form patters in Earth's sky. But just because two stars appear to be close together from our point of view, doesn't mean they actually are. An individual star from a constellation can be extremely far away from the other stars in its constellation and can instead be close neighbours with a star from a completely different constellation.

Right, I know that. But when you're standing on Earth, the only reason you can distinguish, to pick out a random star, Gamma Draconis from any other K-type star is because of where it appears to be relative to the other stars in the Draco constellation standing on Earth. And if you were on another planet and you didn't know where you were in the galaxy, by the naked eye you probably couldn't identify Gamma Draconis because you wouldn't have the context of the rest of the constellation to identify it specifically. That's why I said that from a nearby star you could probably take a good shot at identifying where you were; most constellations would likely look nearly identical within, say, 20-30 light years of Earth, with just enough change to be able to pinpoint your location with a few calculations even with just looking with the naked eye.

I was asking how, without the context of Earth-based constellations as a reference point to identify exactly what star you happened to be looking at, how you'd be able to identify where you were at a random point in the galaxy by looking at the stars with just the naked eye.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Met posted:

Surely not "anywhere in the galaxy"

The furthest star you can see in our galaxy with the naked eye is about 4,000 light years away. The galaxy is about 100,000 light years across.

Oh haha, right, I didn't even think about that aspect.

And honestly I wasn't asking to nitpick, I was just wondering if there was something I wasn't realizing that'd make it possible, since it'd be pretty cool if so. A neat (if useless) skill, that'd be.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Noni posted:

The Trek episode in her original script was to be about lizard mongols, so it's not like racism was added; the directors just changed it from one form to another.

I thought it was lizard samurai?

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Apoplexy posted:

Wouldn't work because of how the entirety of what's coming through the one end of the Stargate has to go through entirely before it'll reform on the other side. See also: Atlantis's second episode. If you stick a MALP on a stick, it'd just stay in limbo in the Stargate system until the stick followed it, as the MALP and stick (and person attached to them, really) are one entity to the Stargate.

Except when it's a rope or air tube.

Mrens posted:

Is there any particular episode that spells out the specifics of wormhole travel, or was it always as vague as possible? I think I was into the second season before it hit me, oh it's NOT a two way street.

I'm not sure about in general, but the movie spelled out that specific part of things, which is probably why it wasn't specifically mentioned in the show for a while.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Mrens posted:

I think they said a MALP was disintegrated when it fell back into an incoming wormhole in 300 days.

Yeah, you're right for that one; we actually saw it even, and it didn't come back through at all in any form, it was just lost.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

kingturnip posted:

I just now realised how ridiculous it is that the SGC installed an iris so close to the event horizon - within the timeframe of a single SG:1 mission - and it actually worked as intended with no problems.
It's not even like they had the second gate to practice on.

To be fair, all we really know is it was installed between Apophis showing up and Jack etc. getting back from Abydos, which is slightly better.

Also I always figured it was basically just a big motorized chunk of metal attached to the inner edge if the gate, barely any tech to it at all. Not something they had to open up the gate for or anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer
What about those Stargate books that followed up on the movie alone and literally entirely ignored SG-1 entirely, and for a time were running simultaneously with the earlier years of SG-1?

I mostly ask just because I love the fact that that novel line existed; I can only imagine how ticked off the show's production company had to be about the splitting of their fanbase.