Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

resident
Dec 22, 2005

WE WERE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. IT'S CLEANER THAN A BROKE DICK DOG.

I was in NYC last weekend and decided to get tickets to the Crossing Brooklyn Ferry festival on Saturday. Caveman played a 45 minute set inside the Brooklyn Academy of Music opera house and completely killed it. It was easily one of the best live shows I've ever seen, both audio and visually, which is even more impressive considering they have only been receiving press coverage for around 6 months. Their stage presence reminded me a bit of Radiohead playing "There, There" with very strong rhythmic soundwaves that easily filled the venue. My friend saw them during CMJ last fall and said their live performance has gotten significantly better in only half a year. Their first album, CoCo Beware, came out last November.

Here's a lovely youtube from CBF. It does not do the actual performance justice at all.

And their official video for the song Thankful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

resident
Dec 22, 2005

WE WERE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. IT'S CLEANER THAN A BROKE DICK DOG.

Medium Cool posted:

I saw Tennis in Kansas City on Saturday, and it was a great show. Probably the weirdest location fora venue I've been to yet, we were in a strip mall next door to a dollar tree. There was also a half price books and records though, where me and my friends bumped into alaina moore and patrick riley. They were pretty nice, we talked to them for a bit, got a picture, and they signed our records later. The show was pretty awesome too, we had a great spot by the stage and they played pretty much everything I wanted to hear.

Are you not KC local? The location may seem odd but it is only about 4 blocks from KC's indie capitol, Westport. Record bar gets in the best bang/buck artists in the area. Many artists will go on to play venues that are 5-10x the size of it in other cities. It is a great place to see emerging indie bands, both headlining and opening.

I was also at the show, but just thought it was average. That was likely because I was exhausted from day drinking as much as it was the quality of the music.

resident
Dec 22, 2005

Schremp Howard posted:

Pitchfork's Saturday line-up is pretty kickin.

Definitely want to see all of Cloud Nothings, Flying Lotus, and Godspeed. In the between, I'm thinking scout out Atlas Sound, Liturgy, Cults, Youth Lagoon, Sleigh Bells, and Hot Chip. Sucks that Grimes is opposite Godspeed, but that's not too bad. Anyone I'm really missing out on? I fully expect to catch bits and pieces of some people, but that's cool too.

Atlas Sound was one of the better concerts I've seen but that was in a tiny theater at the Brooklyn Academy of Music and I have no idea if his show will translate to a festival. Nicolas Jaar has an interesting ambient/techno sound but if it's just him sitting at a PC pushing buttons I could see it being really dull. Danny Brown is kind of insane so I think he will be worth it if you like hip hop.

What is the Godspeed live show like? I can't really get into their albums and I think Grimes is going to be a lot more fun than listening to 1.5 Godspeed songs.

resident
Dec 22, 2005

Schremp Howard posted:

The Menzingers own and everyone should listen to them if they have any sort of punk inclinations. So excited to see them with The Bouncing Souls in a few weeks.

On that note, Pitchfork Fest Saturday was pretty amazing. Started the day off with Cloud Nothings in a downpour, and that couldn't have been any better. Their set got cut short because they blew out the PA, but it was awesome for what they did. Attack on Memory is easily one of my favorite albums this year.

Checked out a bit of Atlas Sound and Liturgy before it started raining again and ducked into the vinyl tent. Atlas Sound was kind of meh for a festival just for the type of music it is. Liturgy was pretty sweet, but the rain cut my view of them short. Went to see Cults after that, and while they can't recreate the sound they do on their album, it was still a fairly decent set that made me appreciate their self-titled a bit more.

After that was Flying Lotus. Simply incredible. It's easy to imagine him getting lost into the laptop with headphones on, but he really does make an effort to be as much of the performance as the music. The crowd got to be a bit annoying as people went nuts for his sampling of "Watch the Throne" and looked all confused and moody at "Kill Your Co-Workers."

Ate some food and then ventured over to Sleigh Bells, and I really don't get how people don't see them as a joke band. Guitars didn't seem plugged in, Alexis Krauss spent too much time trying to get the crowd into it (although they did go nuts for her) and look cool. I can't say I'm against the sound they try to do, as my taste is heavily influenced by punk and hardcore, but it does nothing for me.

Went to see Chromatics after that and was thoroughly disappointed. They have a cool sound that blends dream-pop and electro but could not have looked less interested in being there. Ended with a nice cover of "Running Up That Hill," but it was largely forgettable.

From there it was time to get a spot for Godspeed You! Black Emperor. Easily the highlight of the night and musically one of the best performances I have ever seen. Very strange, as yo can imagine, but extremely well done. Even with stretches of ambient noise based around a single violin note, everything could not have tied together more perfectly. It was disappointing that the festival decided to pit Grimes against them, but I figure she'll be around for some time, whereas I may never get to see Godspeed again. I'd make the same decision every time. I'd highly recommend Pitchfork to anyone who can find a cheap place to stay in Chicago.

Hot Chip was easily my favorite of Saturday followed closely by Flying Lotus. I got about 25 ft from the stage for them so the crowd was really dancy around me, and I could see it being significantly less entertaining from afar. I had no idea Alexis Taylor was such a baby man. Grimes was somewhat of a let down from a performance standpoint. The blue stage just had this electric buzz around it before she started and after the first note it was like a quickly deflating balloon.

Most surpising/standout act of the weekend was Araabmuzik. I previously saw his magic fingers at work via youtube but it was a completely different experience seeing him do it live. I wish I made an attempt to get close to the stage. I could see him doing top of the bill sets at Lolla/Coachella/ACL very soon.

resident
Dec 22, 2005

Indie music/cinema crossover discussion.... I loved Shut Up And Play The Hits last night and miss LCD Soundsystem. RIP

resident
Dec 22, 2005

Have they indicated if this is the final album mix? It seems oddly...unfinished, like a bootleg live recording.

resident
Dec 22, 2005

Elphiem posted:

Does anyone know any radio shows for Indie music, and are podcasted?

Often university radio stations have stuff like this.

NPR's All Songs Considered is mostly indie music with some pop, folk, world, and random genres thrown in occasionally. They have their main show podcasted as well as live concert podcasts and All Songs 24/7 streaming all the time at their website. One of the best features is that they have been doing the first listen on a lot of great indie albums over the past few years where whole albums will be available for streaming the week before their hard release.

resident
Dec 22, 2005

If you missed Frank Ocean on SNL last night watch it cause he loving owned. John Mayer was pretty good too.

http://pitchfork.com/news/47857-watch-frank-ocean-on-saturday-night-live/

resident
Dec 22, 2005

Skilleddk posted:

The new Crystal Castles album is really drat good. Not a single bad track, favorites are Kerosene, Sad Eyes, Insulin and god drat Child I Will Hurt You is the best mellow song they've done.

Grab tickets for their shows asap, they tend to sell out quite fast. They are really good live, I've seen them two times. First time was back in 2010, Alice had broken her ankle but still put on one hell of a show. 2nd time was back in July at a festival here in Sweden, she stagedived on top of me twice :v: and poured Jack Daniels all over my face. I've got tickets for a show in March, can't wait to see Sad Eyes live!

Except in Kansas City where they can't even sell enough tickets to have the show:negative:

To be fair it was like 60 bucks per ticket after fees and around here only people like Bieber, Madonna, and Lady Gaga can get away anything higher than about 50.

resident
Dec 22, 2005

Orillion posted:

60 bucks! In Paris, it's 31 euros (which is $39), which i'd say is already quite expensive... To be honest they're good, but not enough to afford a higher price. No wonder they didn't sell any ticket.

Yeah it was thoroughly ridiculous and I'm sure the organizers learned an important lesson. I paid around $70 after fees to see Radiohead in KC for reference.

resident
Dec 22, 2005

Mr. Tibbs posted:

I passed on the message!

Would you also tell them to please come to Kansas City on 3/10/13 instead of taking a day off between St Louis and Norman? TIA

resident
Dec 22, 2005

Sleepstupid posted:

Really digging this new tune I heard on Sirius XMU...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Io8PqddrRIs

Has a retro Beach Boys (?) vibe to it.

I actually like their other song on XMU better even if they are a bit behind the beach pop curve.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=deeq8HcWzzk

resident
Dec 22, 2005

The new Caveman self titled album came out this week and is now on Spotify. For those not familiar with them, they have a very dreamy, mellow psych sound with Brian Wilson harmonies thrown in. Their show at Crossing Brooklyn Ferry last May is still one of my favorites of all time so definitely go see them if you have the opportunity.

resident
Dec 22, 2005

My friend and I were stumbling home drunk after the Ghostface Killah show in Seattle last week and he wanted to show me this tiny bar called Electric Tea Garden. We had no idea who they were at the time but Religious Girls were playing that night. I was incredibly impressed by their energy live. It reminded me of some of the more raucous parts of Animal Collective.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQ8dyuvEhzQ

resident
Dec 22, 2005

Mr. Tibbs posted:

Just bought my tickets. I'm pretty excited for Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Beach House, Toro Y Moi, Washed Out, and Death Grips. I've already seen TVOTR, Deerhunter, and Foxygen and enjoyed all those shows as well.

Currently listening to the Camera Obscura stream. Very :3:.

Washed Out was...interesting the last time I saw him/them. He doesn't use the same vocal filtering as the album and the songs are more uptempo. It honestly kind of ruins it for me.

resident
Dec 22, 2005

That Haert's track reminds me of a classic Fleetwood Mac song that you've been listening to for years and never get sick of. The other songs on their new EP are pretty solid as well.

resident
Dec 22, 2005

"Bitter Rivals" is a loving obnoxious song. Late 90s rap rock is back :suicide:

resident
Dec 22, 2005

appropriatemetaphor posted:

I dunno, that kinda goes with everything towards the noise rock end of shoegaze yeah?

I listened through the new album, it's alright I guess. I ended up just going back and listening to their first album though.

I really liked their first album and felt it was a fresh sound at the time. Unlike a lot of popular indie bands their sound hasn't matured at all and it seems like they are clinging to a scheme.

resident
Dec 22, 2005

Legerdemain posted:

Also of Secret Machines, one of my all time favorite bands. I'd only heard he was ill a couple months ago, so this was a shock.

Secret Machines were my third concert ever, spring 2005 during my freshman year at Iowa St. Godspeed Mr. Curtis :smith:

resident
Dec 22, 2005

ThatsMyBoye posted:

New Real Estate is around and predictably beautiful.

I really hope my limited edition vinyl shows up early. I decided to order Days at the same time because it's been one of my favorite albums of the last few years.

resident
Dec 22, 2005

thehoodie posted:

Have any of you seen Real Estate live? I've been digging their new album and they are in town at a cool venue tomorrow, but I am not sure if I should go or not. Is it worth it to check them out?

I saw them in 09 opening for Woods and 12 at Pitchfork. They pretty much sound like they do on album, perhaps a bit more free form. They are not really must see but if you have the money and are looking for a reason to go out it's worth it.

resident
Dec 22, 2005

Anora posted:

Looked through most of this thread and didn't see a single mention of Alt-J. For shame KC people, you should have mentioned them.

They have a really unique sound, mostly from how the lead singer sings "poorly" but does it in a way that blends like magic with the music. Here's a couple of their really good songs:

Tessellate - http://youtu.be/Qg6BwvDcANg
Taro - http://youtu.be/S3fTw_D3l10 (Where the guitar player plays with a roll of tape, one of my favorites)

I'd like to shake the hand of someone that made it the past 2 years without hearing a single Alt-J song.

resident
Dec 22, 2005

This Doss remix by Recycle Culture is the best song I've heard on the Gorilla vs Bear blog in quite a while.

resident
Dec 22, 2005

guppiehaus posted:

How was Pure Bathing Culture's set? I loved their Moon Tides album and would love to see them live.

By the way here's the SALES song I was talking about earlier. I feel like everyone needs to at least give this song a listen. I rarely find a track that's such a pleasure to listen to https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnKz5Moaiz4

Here's TOPS - Way To Be Loved https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOTG-5Yk5ec. They just released a new album entitled Picture You Staring and it's pretty stellar so far.

It's been a good season for music.

I heard this sales song on gorilla vs bear. Very pro click. The rest of the ep is solid as well.

resident
Dec 22, 2005

If you have the opportunity to see Flying Lotus on the You're Dead tour do whatever it takes to get tickets. The visuals are easily the best I've seen since Daft Punk's pyramid stuff.

resident
Dec 22, 2005

I saw Chance the Rapper (and the Social Experiment) last night. He supplanted The Roots as the best live hip-hop show I've ever seen. His uptempo stuff made me jump. His downtempo stuff was emotionally impactful. You guys gotta see him live.

resident
Dec 22, 2005

Can confirm seeing Beach House sitting on the grass in the hot sun with a beer in hand is the bees knees.

resident
Dec 22, 2005

facebook jihad posted:

This album is loving insane and may have what it takes to knock Tame Impala's new album out of place as my favorite album of the year.

To the post regarding seeing him, I saw him live earlier this week. It was a great time but he's not as great a live performer as I was hoping. Really lacking in visuals which is crazy to me, you'd think an artist like him would be all about some visuals. Doesn't really stray away from his studio material either. Also be sure to listen to his new album before seeing him. It seemed to be about half new stuff and I think that detracted from my enjoyment of the show since I just listened to it today.

I thought the full live band instrumentation for Psychic Chasms/Era Extrana songs was really great. I assumed it would just be him bleeping and blooping on his computer so my expectations were low at the time. Seeing him play the theremin is worth the price of admission alone.

resident
Dec 22, 2005

I think Grimes has outlasted her shelf life. Go was dubstep garbage which I assume she realized and prompted her to throw away an entire album's worth of content. Realiti was good progression from Visions but that new track is worse than average pop you hear on top 40 radio and never think twice about. Carly Rae Jepsen managed to put out an entire album of content that is more compelling.

resident
Dec 22, 2005

Slandible posted:

I really warmed up to Flesh Without Blood, but Scream is doing nothing for me. Like a less fun Die Antwoord.

It's a cool concept, but the song doesn't really take off until 1:40 and then its all but over 25 seconds later. Based on these first three singles I have no expectations for any kind of album cohesiveness.

resident
Dec 22, 2005

I don't understand how they could overproduce Realiti and gently caress it up so much. The album itself is mostly really obnoxious sugarpop so if you are in the AG Cook fanbase you'll probably love it.

resident
Dec 22, 2005

abraham linksys posted:

:psyboom:

the pop of this album is so far away from the kind of pop that PC Music is putting out that I don't understand your point of comparison here at all

fwiw, best tracks on this album: Artangels (that guitar!), Kill V Maim, Realiti, Venus Fly, Butterfly

I'm not saying it sounds like PC Music. Just that the artist is trying to put a "personal spin" on pop music so they can disassociate themselves from other top 40 radio acts. I don't like it in either case.

resident
Dec 22, 2005

I know right!

resident
Dec 22, 2005

I was at a bar running karaoke next to a music venue I was going to see Mac Demarco at later in the night. This dude absolutely nailed Plush, and ended up being a member of one of the opening bands. Plush is now one of my go to karoake songs so that's my STP story.

resident
Dec 22, 2005

Depreston by Courtney Barnett was probably my #1 this year but that got posted already. I feel like that guy that is obsessed with "Desperado" in Seinfeld whenever it comes on.

Here are the 10 best songs of 2015 10 songs from 2015 I liked a lot that hopefully are new to at least some of you.

https://open.spotify.com/user/124445470/playlist/7DC7v5Izk9HpdTsuLKfb7j

abraham linksys posted:

you should really listen to Empress Of if you haven't yet. also hell yeah Beverly owns

here's me: https://open.spotify.com/user/anvolcano/playlist/3ZoMHbxoHUZiUOTTfylMO0

I'm kind of disappointed in myself this year, tbh. For the past few years, I've kept a Spotify starred playlist and cleared it at the end of the year, with the goal of adding one song a day (or at least ending up with >=365 total). Last couple years, I got up to around ~300, which was pretty good. This year, my starred playlist has only 206 songs, and probably only ~35% of that actually came out this year. I feel like there's a bunch of great music that came out this year that I completely missed, so I am glad I don't know like 70% of the songs on the playlists y'all have shared so far!

That Julio Bashmore song was great. I remember hearing Simple Love somewhere before but didn't realize he had a whole album out.

resident fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Dec 14, 2015

resident
Dec 22, 2005

While we are on the best of 2015 theme...what was everyone's favorite live show(s) of the year? Mine was Chance the Rapper at Bumbershoot and there wasn't a close second. It's really hard to believe he is only 22. He's already such an amazing showman and picked a great backing band to boot. My bar for good hip hop shows was high after seeing the roots a few years ago and he cleared it easily.

Yumi Zouma was probably second but I was hammered so they might not be as good as I remember.

resident
Dec 22, 2005

ThatsMyBoye posted:

The Ought album is really cool yeah, but that took me like four or five listens to find a groove in my brain for it. It's, like, just out there enough to not be immediately accessible.

Is it overall less overtly "anti-establishment/capitalism" than Beautiful Blue Sky? I thought the theme of that song was heavy handed and the pacing was super awkward so I never bothered checking out the rest of the album.

resident
Dec 22, 2005

I am in a bit of a conundrum. Should I go see Courtney Barnett at a small, fancy theater or Rhye at an equally cool venue on the same day? Leaning towards Courtney but I might be able to see her at a festival later this year.

resident
Dec 22, 2005

Are there any regularly updated playlists or active curators you guys follow on Spotify? Gorilla vs Bear is the only person I follow but he really only does year end and special event playlists a few times a year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

resident
Dec 22, 2005

Caveman released a new song last Friday. I loved Coco Beware and this is ok but it kinda sounds like someone in the band fell asleep with Red Eyes on repeat and woke up thinking they had written an original song in their sleep.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VjjrNN7OUE