Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Everyone talking about how lovely the AI is on Professional for RE5 wasn't kidding, the Wesker and Jill fight is just soooo loving unfair. Took me 2 hours because Sheva kept getting shot by Jill :negative: of course I probably would be find except my PS3 won't sign in so I can't find anyone online to streamline the process

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Policenaut posted:

Hey, check it out. Trophy list for RE: The Umbrella Chronicles HD

only 12 achievements? If they're planning on doing Darkside in HD then they better be able to match the achievements they had on the Wii version and that's like...30?

It's kind of frustrating when they do these re-releases and don't do anything with the achievements, I mean I bought a God of War 1 and 2 bundle for the extra controller and that one has like 30 achievements or more for each game and what do we get for RE4 of all things? loving chapter completion trophies :argh:

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

psychoticBacofoil posted:

"The game's third main character is meant to be someone young people can relate to."
I.E. Captain Generic White Guy Voiced by Nolan North Man who's "Edgy" and "Cool"

gently caress. :negative:

just bring back Rebecca :( you still have a chance of redemption Capcom

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

to be honest, I'm not surprised people didn't think it was Ada immediately in that new trailer. It didn't sound like Sally Cahill, and she's been doing Ada for every game Ada's featured in. At the same time, I think the girl with Leon had more lines than Ada did so it was easy to get confused and imdb doesn't have any info posted yet on Ada's VA so I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Incidentally, if they do finally tie up all the loose ends for the series, if that means we learn that Rebecca got zombified in Raccoon City, that is more than enough closure for me but come on, loving Sherry is doing "security duty" :argh:

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

I wonder if, even if it's a bonus thing or a file you find, they will finally address what happened to Rebecca? The last STARS survivor to get any spotlight outside of Mercenaries.

Also, what bets are we going to put on Ada for either a) dying but not really dying b) playing both sides against the middle and secretly working for another agency or c) both? I would bet $50 on option C given how she her character has been reworked since RE4

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Captain Walker posted:

Are there any "casuals" left playing RE5 on PS3? The last time I played that loving mercs mode I died with 2 seconds left on the clock and now I am afraid to play with the neckbearded pubbies because I'm so bad, but I can't stop playing this lovely game, so I'm playing Professional with AI Sheva. I need help if I'm gonna 100% this fucker.

if you're still interested I've got weekends available and wouldn't mind doing Pro again (this time without destroying controllers and my vocal chords from the stupid AI).

Feel free to PM or look me up on PSN, my name there is Quadras

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

codenameFANGIO posted:

Well why the hell would they do that ?! :mad:

To keep our hopes up, sort of like where Steve is and where Rebecca is. I will be ok if Capcom finally comes out and admits that Rebecca never made it out of Raccoon City in time and turned to dust from the nuke but until they do I will keep asking "where's Rebecca? Where's Rebecca" whenever a new game is announced.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

RocketDarkness posted:

Between Resident Evil 6 and Revelations, I've been on a pretty long RE kick. Ended up ordering a few of the Deck Building Game sets to try out with friends this weekend. We all love Dominion, so I'm sure this one will receive a warm welcome. Especially since it provides plenty of excuses to quip classic RE dialog at each other.

my friend got me that for Christmas a few years ago, it took a couple read-throughs to actually understand what the rules were but as a big RE fan, I caught on pretty quickly and it is a great way to waste and evening, especially once I got Alliance, which allows "Co-op play"

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

RocketDarkness posted:

Deck Building Game Trip Report!

Man, this game is a lot of fun, but it takes far longer compared to Dominion. Definitely want to set aside at least an hour, probably two if you're playing with a full house of 4 players. It has a nice pace, where everyone starts out kind of hesitant to explore, and then you can acquire better weaponry and get more confident, before running into a real beast of a monster that slaps you back into your place. Characters can unlock new abilities over the course of the game by killing monsters, which is a great feature. And it's fun to see people building decks based on the different strategies their characters can afford them. For example, in our first game, I chose Sheva. The rifles in this set gain a massive power boost when the top card of your deck costs 40+. Sheva's L1 ability lets her swap a card in her hand for the top card of your deck, which allowed me to always ensure I had a fully-powered rifle. Her L2 ability reduces each rifle's ammo cost by 20, which eventually allowed me to dual-wield sniper rifles to take down Uroboros Aheri, securing me the victory.

For game 2 we tried the Alliance set, which lets you use two characters. All sorts of crazy setups can be made, such as my friend, who used Krauser to acquire every knife in the game, and then used Ada to selectively explore the mansion, slaying a ton of weaker enemies with judicious knife usage. Good times! I'd definitely recommend it to anyone that is intrigued.

Your friends either weren't using Wesker properly or are too nice to use him. Whenever I play SOMEONE always gets Wesker and once he gets to level 2 the game is over because every turn you'll think "oh man, I can't risk exploring this turn" and then the person using Wesker will be like "welp, tough poo poo because you're exploring this turn :smugbert:" and proceed to get your rear end handed to you by Nemesis or Uroborous or anything really.

While it can be a bitch when you're on the receiving end, there are quite a few characters that have abilities that are basically made for you to grief the other players, like Rebecca's ability to steal cards and trash them "oh you've got an RPG? Mine now"

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Question about Revelations (for PS3): is there co-op? I like playing through the newer RE games with my friends but I haven't read anything about there being any co-op in this game so is that true or is it just not available that way for the console releases?

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

The game has no co-op in story mode on any system. It has co-op Raid Modes on all systems.

Mmmm ok, is the AI as terrible on the highest difficulty like it was in 5? I'm not looking forward to another 8 hours of shouting and swearing at a computer when I can't beat Wesker and Jill again :negative:

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

so the answer is "yes" then :v:

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

One of these days Billy will return from the forest and Capcom will confirm if Rebecca got out of Raccoon before it became ground zero :(

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Dan Didio posted:

They did confirm that, I'm pretty sure. I'm positive it's said at some point that Rebecca is still alive and kicking and Billy's still on the lam. Billy had to go back to the planet limbo because his people needed him, but Rebecca, Barry, Jill and Chris are the only surviving S.T.A.R.S. members as of Resident Evil 5.

Really? Man I used to know everything about Resident Evil so this slipping under my radar, drat. Well in any case considering that they brought Sherry back for RE6 I sit here thinking they need to have a S.T.A.R.S. reunion or something. We know Jill and Chris went to the BSAA and Barry went to Canada but maybe it's just wishful thinking.

After The Last of Us we know that grizzled men in their 50s are amazingly competent killers so it's time to bring back Barry

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Scyantific posted:

I'll probably jump on it. I never got to unlock the PRL42 Laser in the PS2 version and I liked the Mercenaries then so yeah count me in.

(Yeah I know the laser sucks dick but whatever, I'm an unlockable-freak)

are we talking about the same PRL 412? That thing when fully charged will one shot ANY enemy, and that includes bosses. Speaking of which when I used it when I first unlocked it it actually broke Saddler fight so bad that I didn't get the super-special RPG from Ada, why? Because Saddler was dead as soon as the cutscene ended and therefore she couldn't swoop in after enough damage was done to deliver that 30,000 worth RPG.

Speaking of this new remake, if they actually give you REAL achievements then yes I would consider this one the definitive version. I used to think the Wii version was the definitive because it used all of the stats and goodies from the Gamecube version but also included Separate Ways, not to mention the wiimote scheme works REALLY well. I will be happy if the achievements actually ARE achievements instead of simply "hurray, you beat this chapter, hurray you unlocked the hand cannon" like what we got when the HD versions came out for the consoles. Come on Steam, do us right

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Well after a good couple hours playing "HD" RE4 I have to say that the only thing I like about is that load times are near-instantaneous and I now have a legit copy of the soundtrack :v:

Other than that I think I'll stick to the WIi version since there at least Leon isn't shaking like Michael J. Fox whenever you go for a precision shot. That and I feel the "HD" is a mis-nomer, this is still the same blocky engine from 2004, of course did we really expect Capcom to go out of their way to make brand new assets or update their textures? Fffffffuck no. Also thank god I can remap certain controls because having your quickturn button being right next to your inventory button has lead to quite a few boss deaths already, that and the mouse controls are nowhere near sensitive enough to be as smooth as the Wii controls were (to me at least) I'm sure after enough practice I will be just as quick as I was on the Wii

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Wanderer posted:

Chris can fly a fighter jet. He does so in CV and in RE6. In order to become a pilot, a candidate has to go through four years of higher education followed by a little over a year of flight training. Even if he went into the Air Force Academy at 17 or something, that's really not enough time for him to be drummed out by 23 and a not-cop by 25, especially given how hard the Air Force tries to hold onto trained pilots.

Wasn't this also kinda :psyduck: because he's flying a Harrier at the end of CV and there was some talk about how you have to have qualified on other jets before flying that one?

Whatever, Resident Evil I have always found to be "The Rule of Cool" in all its glory.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Geight posted:

I dunno if it was mentioned but the recent RE4 Steam release got patched to fix the audio desynch in cutscenes along with general bugfixes, and also add in a "modern" setting for the mouse sensitivity which should make aiming a lot easier.

Also:
:haw:

I was peeved that they took out the eggsploit since I liked rolling around with 5 golden eggs. Also glad they fixed the Mercenaries where if you didn't have a high enough score in the Castle and you went to where the archers were a) the cult leader would not spawn and b) upon entering that room the Garrodors would also not spawn. They also fixed Krauser's bow, so now you will actually hit everything instead of 1/4 arrows disappearing into the aether.

I don't think they fixed ammo drops though, for some reason if you have a Rifle (in either Mercenaries or the main games) you will always always ALWAYS get more ammo pickups on average than any other weapon. I ended my first playthrough with over 100 rifle rounds and around 25 magnum rounds. I have NEVER had that much rifle and magnum ammo in the Wii edition, especially with having almost no handgun or shotgun rounds.

I also still haven't been given my pre-order soundtrack or artbook, what the hell Steam :(

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Lotish posted:

Remake RE2 with more aggressive monsters, but somehow give it RE4's upgrade system and a slightly less superhuman version of RE6's combo/counter system. Include a remake of RE3 as an unlock when you beat at least one side B game.

Sooooo take the counter idea from REmake and have upgrades similar to what we saw in RE5 instead of RE4? I mean, I love me some Merchant but I think that would just cheapen the atmosphere of RE2. That and I've always found that the game is short enough that it has a logical progression of when you start using your more powerful weapons and when it is easier to just run past enemies.

Granted as much as I love laying combos on enemies in RE5 I think if they just used the same counters that are featured in Darkside Chronicles then that will be more than enough seeing as Leon and Claire are not supposed to be trained at this point.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Neo Rasa posted:

If they mean from when RE6 came out in 2012, 2002 saw the release of Resident Evil Zero and Resident Evil Gaiden so Rebecca Chambers+Billy Cohen+Barry Burton+Lucia. I say this though because in 2004 the only RE was a mobile truncation of RE1 for cell phones as Outbreak 2. I actually never played Outbreak 2 but IIRC didn't all of those characters end up not being alive or really in the zombie hunting profession afterwards?

Let's also not forget that since the CG movies are part of the continuity then Claire was last heard from in 2006 for Degeneration. Here's hoping for another STARS reunion, with super-grizzled Old Man Barry and Dr. Rebecca Chambers, PhD

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Lunethex posted:

So who would be down to play ORC for an LP on PS3? If you need to unlock stuff there's an infinite EXP glitch on the very first chapter of the umbrella campaign involving cameras. Just destroy all of them leading up to a certain checkpoint and the last camera is after that checkpoint. You destroy it, get 500 EXP, and suicide with nearby explosives to repeat.

I'd be down, but I should probably buy the game first :v:

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Lunethex posted:

Send a PM to me on PSN at Lunethex if you want in on the ORC LP! Or a friend request. That works too.

done and done, how much DLC is there for ORC any ways? Am I gonna be "breaking the bank" or is everything fairly inexpensive now?

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

now why you gotta go and make up beautiful things that will never happen :smith:

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

weeeeeell he does say that the one time in Darkside Chronicles. Although that was in response to Claire acting jealous so I guess it's not the same

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

RE6 Leon looks surprisingly good :v:

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Man the years working for anti-virus NGOs has NOT been good to Claire, especially since she didn't look too different in Degeneration in comparison to Code Veronica and now she just looks loving haggard and it's only been like 4 years.

Guess that's what happen when the President is zombified, everyone and everything just goes to poo poo

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Alteisen posted:

So is damage just completely unavoidable sometimes in Darkside Chronicles or am I just bad.

Mostly with bosses here, I made Birkin look like a pin cushion and he'd still wack me across the face with his pipe, it was annoying, ended up grenading the fucker to death as my guns seemed largely useless.

some boss fights (actually quite a few of them) are scripted to last for a certain amount of time and in Birkin's first appearance the problem is that his windows really ARE that small so it is easy for him to wreck your poo poo within the first 30 seconds of the fight, then you have to last a really goddamn long time because you can't just do so much damage to him. I can't remember which other bosses this happens with but I'm pretty sure it happens at least once in all three scenarios

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

yes first malformation Birkin is the worst boss fight because his attacks hurt a lot, no matter what difficulty, and he moves so quickly that his stun windows are really quick. It doesn't help that the extra camera shake makes it even more difficult to pull off but I have found that for the beginning of the fight just unload on him with the SMG and you will likely stun him at least once, maybe twice.

Also I am not sure if he will still leave if you haven't done enough damage to him, I believe you do need him to get to a certain threshold but the problem is that if you've got fully maxed out weaponry you can get him to that threshold before you've even crossed to the other side of the room, meaning you have to hunker down for another minute or so.

I liked Darkside Chronicles for a lot of reasons but boss fights were not one of them; Super Tyrant took me like 15 minutes on my first playthrough, it gave me Wesker's Umbrella's End flashbacks :cry:

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Lotish posted:

I really like how done she is with all this poo poo.

aaaaaaahhhh nice to see that we're gonna see more oldey firearms :allears: especially since I liked using the Hunting Rifle in RE0

Also echoing how it is relieving to see an RE protagonist who is clearly sick and tired of this poo poo :fuckoff:

also to whomever said that the TMP kills flying Novistadors in one shot, ALL weapons kill flying Novistadors in one shot. I don't know why but I guess they're just that weak when airborne.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Red 9 is kind of objectively better in all ways except inventory space.

I have always found that the efficiency of your starting handgun far exceeds the damage per shot of Red9. Of course that's probably because having a higher headshot rate means more to me (who usually goes for the head or the knees) than doing 6 damage per shot :colbert:

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

no shooting an enemy in the head stuns them, it is one of the two melee set ups in the game, the other being the knee. The knee which I have always found more difficult to pull off in a row compared to headshots.

Also Lune I know exactly what you're talking about but I think the other reason I keep Leon's handgun is because I'm one of those weird people that keeps it for continuity (I also always equip it before a cutscene, yes I am weird)

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

So why did you mention it with regards to the starting handgun whose special ability is an increase in critical-hit instant-kill headshots? The starting handgun isn't particularly better at stunning enemies and once it gets its exclusive upgrade is technically worse at it! (Although as mentioned, worse means "it makes the enemy's head explode instead.")

what the gently caress are we talking about anymore :confused:

Ok here's how my handgun take downs usually go:

1. Shoot the ganado (or whatever) in the head, if merely stunned go to

2. deliver melee, if still alive go to

3. knife it a bunch of times, if it gets up repeat process, if dead

4. pick the next ganado

Some times I get lazy and just shotgun a group of ganados as well but seeing as this is more or less how all of my handgun take downs go I see no real utility or upgrade that the Red9 (or any of the other handguns, honestly) offers. That's all I've been saying this whole time

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

In It For The Tank posted:

Brad Vickers never forget.

no I think people do choose to forget him for quite a few reasons :v:

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

wow that contagion filled up fast, as if here was any doubt

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

RBX posted:

Here's some REmake Remastered gameplay.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xf5DzrYzBSk

Wait, has Biohazard always had Japanese dialogue or is that a recent thing? I thought even the originals just had English dialogue with subtitles to preserve the "American authenticity". It also sort of explained to me why the english dialogue was so bad

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Watch it be someone waaaaaaaaaay out of leftfield like Manuela

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Lunethex posted:

Rebecca has the God Hand.

I, for one, welcome our new overlord(s)

No seriously, I would be down for a reunion (of sorts) of the series' cast offs, in one corner you have a reluctant Claire Redfield who took the high road and wanted out of this poo poo and accompanying her you have Moira Burton...jury's out on her but she is a Burton nonetheless. In the other corner we have Rebecca Chambers (and Billy because it just wouldn't be the same without him), the one who probably should've gotten the gently caress out of Dodge too but instead she took a turn for the worse after Raccoon got nuked and she wants to have everyone know what it was like to go through her experience.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

wow, that is pretty cool, they put a lot of work into that. All for some throwaway character (she may as well be)

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Barry always comes prepared :allears: which is why his Samurai Edge is more-or-less the same one he had as a member of STARS, same with his Colt Python, by the looks of the barrel shroud.

That just means I hope that all of the S.T.A.R.S and RPD logos are still modeled

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Jimbot posted:

Have they said what kind of unlockables there would be? That has always been part of the appeal to playing the old ones was unlocking all kinds of goodies for completing the game or other benchmarks.

well thanks to the "Raccoon City Infection" campaign Chris and Jill's BSAA outfits are new unlockables. Other than that they'll probably just be the same ones from the original REmake, so Sara Conner Jill and the like