Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Just installed Mass Effect 3, and I was going to grab the Leviathan and From Ashes DLC as well since I understand they add a lot to the game (currently downloading the free Extended Cut DLC). If I'm going to be grabbing that, I figured I'd look into maybe picking up a couple of pieces of ME2 DLC as well just for completion's sake. I entered my ME2 product code and it redeemed the game on Origin for me, which is great, but it doesn't have a DLC/Add-On page in the game library like ME3 does. I remember Bioware had their own site/forum for this stuff back when I got ME2 originally that was notoriously difficult to navigate, but I thought that had all been swept up into Origin? Am I missing something easy to do in Origin or do I need to hunt up my old account details?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Fag Boy Jim posted:

Nah, you still have to manually download the ME2 DLC.

Thanks for the confirmation. I'll work out what I want and how many "points" I need, and hopefully I can purchase a number equal or close to that - from memory they come in set amounts, right?

Gonna feel good to finally drag my grumpy old man Shepard to the end of this trilogy.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Dan Didio posted:

I think they do, and I think they come in really wierd amounts, as I recall. The entire Bioware points thing was such a bizzare little experiment.

Yeah, I just added it up and if I wanted to get Kasumi, Lair of the Shadowbroker and Arrival for ME2, and From Ashes and Leviathan for ME3, it'll cost me 3520 Bioware Points, but the least I can buy and still get everything is 3600. I might wait a little bit and pick up the ME2 stuff, complete the game and then wait a little bit more and pick up the ME3 stuff.

Or gently caress it, maybe I'll just watch a video of the ME2 stuff and edit my old savegame when I import it to ME3 so it acts like I had them. That probably makes more sense.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

VirtualStranger posted:

Here is a simple list of all Mass Effect 2 DLC for the sake of convenience.

Thank you very much for the list, I do already have Zaeed thanks to the Cerberus Network. I'd like to pick them up (the story DLC) and play them myself but seriously, they're way too expensive for 3 year old DLC and I really can't justify spending that much for them in addition to getting ME3 DLC (which is also overpriced but at least is relatively new). I really wish they'd just do an all-in-one package for at least the story DLC. I don't understand the resistance to this, do they really sell well enough as standalones this long after the base game came out?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

morcant posted:

I have a question that might be dumb, but I'm hesitant about poking around in here too much, as I just finished ME2.

I'm aware that this upcoming ME3 DLC is the last one, which makes me hope there's some kind of DLC bundle or GOTY version coming along at some point. At this point, would it be better for me to wait for such a thing, or nab it on - :sigh: - Origin now?

I wouldn't hold your breath on waiting for a DLC bundle for ME3. :(

I bought ME2 when it first came out, but held off on buying any of the paid-DLC figuring I could get it all as part of an "all-in-one" package sometime down the line. Three years later with ME3 out and almost all of its paid-DLC also released, the ME2 DLC is still only available separately, and is at the same price it was when it came out. Despite all that I was thinking I would bite the bullet and get the ME2 DLC anyway, but as far as I could tell there is no way to add all the DLC to your cart and pay for it all at once, so if you're paying by credit card you have to have to make a series of separate purchases for it. With ME3, you can at least see and purchase the DLC through Origin in your My Games section, and not pay for it until you've grabbed everything you want to grab. With ME2, I had to search for it through the Bioware Social Network, and I needed to purchase Bioware points to get them, and it wouldn't accept my credit card so I had to do it through Paypal instead.

I found the whole process incredibly frustrating and off-putting and ending up not bothering to get any of the ME2 DLC and just jumping straight into ME3 with my old ME2 save that I last played in March of 2010.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Avocados posted:

Yeah I wouldn't shrug off the other missions like Shadow Broker, Overlord or Kasumi's. I felt those missions were better than the majority of the base game missions. Actually they're a few of my favorites. Zaeed's mission and firewalker aren't all that hot, personally speaking, so I can see why you're off to a bad start. Zaeed is a gem when you start taking him places and hearing his lines though. :allears:

I'd really give the rest of the DLC a shot, you'd be cheating yourself if you didn't.

I would have been delighted to play them, but not at the price they're still charging three years and one fully released sequel (with it's own near-complete DLC releases) later. I actually TRIED to buy at least Lair of the Shadow Broker but the process was just so ridiculous that I eventually gave up on it.

I'm sorry to keep banging on about it, especially since I'm sure everybody in this thread is already aware of the problems, but it really does boggle my mind how counter-intuitive and discouraging their DLC purchase system is.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

CPFortest posted:

Samara rules, with the exception of her outfit.

All I really remember of Samara from ME2 (I've only just started ME3) is an awesome conversation she and Shepard had where Samara basically said,"I like and respect you and am happy to fight by your side in this cause... but you're basically a monster and once it's all over I'll probably try to kill you if we ever meet again."

She just sounded so calm and reasonable about the whole thing. :allears:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

DrNutt posted:

And Kaiden is too busy being pouty to help in ME2.

Pouty? Don't you mean drifting as ash over a blasted crater? :colbert:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

VirtualStranger posted:

I saved Kaidan because I refuse to let Ashley live long enough to become whatever the gently caress she's turned into in Mass Effect 3.

ME1 Ashley: "Don't expect me to get in a tinfoil miniskirt and thigh high boots..."
ME3 Ashley: :hurr:

In all seriousness, I legit thought that Ashley was Miranda at first, and thought it was strange they'd adjusted her face model :negative:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I am so delighted that when you go to the Citadel now, your crew leaves the Normandy and go and hang out at various different places. In the previous games I always felt a little bad about only being able to pick out two members of my crew to go "ashore" with me.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

DrNutt posted:

Just think, you have Dragon Age 2 to thank for that! :shepface:

As a drunk lunatic (Tom Baker) once said,"Out of great evil, some good must come."

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Was it ME1 or ME2 where you get tricked into entering a set of tunnels with a giant bomb in the middle? You can defuse the bomb and then sneak outside and ambush the guys who left you there. If I remember right, it's a low gravity planet so you can use your biotics to lift enemies hurtling into the upper atmosphere :allears:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Well the mining facility in the Leviathan DLC is creepy as hell. Reminds me strongly of the vibe from the Reaper corpse mission in ME2.

"A dead God can still dream :stare:"

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I'm experiencing an odd problem with ME3, hopefully somebody can help. I use a wireless keyboard/mouse setup, and frequently the game will stop acknowledging keyboard input for random lengths of time - as short as five seconds up to 5 minutes. The mouse works fine, and sometimes (but not all the time) the key presses I made "catch up" and Shepard will do a little boogaloo for me. At first I thought it was the batteries in the keyboard dying, but I replaced them and the problem persists.

I've looked it up online and found a couple of people who have had a similar problem (only the keyboard refused to respond AT ALL for them), but their solution was that they had a program called "Comcast Constant Guard" running in the background that was disrupting the keyboard. I have no idea what that program is but imagine it has something to do with the internet provider Comcast? I'm not with them (I'm not even in America!) and a search of my computer didn't find it.

I also recently changed computers but am still using the same keyboard/mouse, and I didn't have this problem with ME3 playing on my old computer. The keyboard works without any problem whatsoever in other games, as well as for regular computer use (such as typing this message).

Any ideas? :shobon:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Batham posted:

Do you use Windows 8?

Nope, Windows 7 64bit.

That said, I seem to have fixed the problem by simply moving the usb receiver to a different usb port, so.... :shrug:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Milky Moor posted:

Leviathan and Omega are pretty poor - each for different reasons. C

I just finished Leviathan yesterday and I really enjoyed it! :shobon:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Syrinxx posted:

Jennifer Hale owns and there's basically no reason to play male Shepard ever

I've always enjoyed male Shepards voice/performance, but my Shepard is also a grumpy, scarred up, ugly old bastard and the voice just seems to fit. It always seems weird to me when I see videos of other Sheps (particularly the Bioware default model) and see he's some young male model. Perhaps it's because I've taken him through 3 games, but I just can't reconcile the voice with anything than an ugly, crabby old man.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Looking at a different DLC for the moment, I kinda like that so far in the game, Javik hates everybody but Garrus (who quite clearly can't stand Javik). It's kinda adorable and if I can't have the old school Shepard/Garrus/Wrex team then Shepard/Garrus/Javik is a pretty good alternative.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

So far I've found James kind of annoying, I'd actually prefer to have Cortez. Garrus is a mainstay though, I very rarely leave him behind - spacebros for life.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

ElProducto posted:

I know you're all way past it and on to the Citadel DLC but I can't believe Leviathan (or something like it) was not in the game proper. Two fundamental questions- where did the reapers come from and why are they here- that bafflingly don't appear in the game.

I feel the same about From Ashes, Javik adds so much more to the game (though it was released on the same day as the game itself, right?) that it's bizarre to me that the game can be played without him in it at all.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I know I'm a looooooong way behind you all, but oh God I just finished Priority: Tuchanka :ohdear:

Farewell sweet Mordin, you were the best of all the Salarians. Also I'm sorry about that whole destroying Maelon's data thing, Eve :smith:

Still, the bit with the Thresher Maw was amazing.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

It made sense to me at the time! How was I know that EVERYBODY but the Salarian Dalatrass would change their mind about what was for the best for the Galaxy!

At least Wrex is still my space-buddy :shobon:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

"My name is Garrus Vakarian, and this is my favorite place on the Citadel!"

I love little moments in the series like that :unsmith:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I love the loading screen of the mech descending into the water, and I find the whole ending to that DLC to be so satisfying.

The Reaper shows up to gently caress some poo poo up and realizes too late oh poo poo Mom and Dad are finally home! :derp:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

So is Kai Leng deliberately supposed to be one of those annoying guys who talks about how great he is, you kick his rear end then he gets to "win" in a cutscene and continue to goad you for sucking so you want to kill him for the sheer satisfaction of not having to deal with his plot armor anymore, or was he genuinely supposed to be a super-badass ninja that is just too drat "cool and awesome" for Shepard to handle?

Yeah, you can probably tell that I just completed Priority: Thessia :argh:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

rypakal posted:

Then again, I threw the collector base away.

I will defend that decision to my dying day - if there is one thing that has been painfully, hilariously well-documented in this game is that anything slightly dangerous that gets into Cerberus' hands will completely blow up in their faces - either they'll "go rogue" or everybody dies or they lose complete control of the situation and need somebody to come mop it up. There was no way in hell I would have ever let them get their hands on the Collector Base.

Edit: Same deal with killing the Rachni :colbert:

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Mar 11, 2013

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

PunkBoy posted:

Wait, Fem Shep doesn't get the casual leather jacket? That sucks that they get less casual wear (also the dress is pretty bad). :mad:

Which reminds me, I got Ashley back in my squad, decided to take her on a mission and went to see what alternate outfits she had. Why the hell is one of her alternate outfits a mini-skirt? :negative:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Well that's just downright depressing, that is.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Mr.Flibble posted:

Did you take take Javik with you?, if you didn't do it again with him or at least watch a youtube of it, it will be well worth your time.

I did yeah, and he was fantastic.

Liara: I think... I think it thinks you're Prothean, and here are my reasons for why :words:
Javik: Or maybe it's reacting to the ACTUAL Prothean standing right here :rolleyes:

I do love how much of an rear end in a top hat Javik is, and how everybody gets so excited to meet him at first and inevitably ends up hating him - though the moment on the Citadel where Shepard can convince him to make an inspiring speech is pretty great. As is his,"I'll tell you what you want to hear," bit to Liara and Shepard after Thessia is over.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

So I just finished the game, and finally I can stop hiding from all those spoiler bars :)

I had a read up on what the endings were like before the Extended Cut and hoooo-boy I can see why people were so pissed off. I initially went with the "lesser" ending (Control the Reapers/Shepard "dies"/the Earth is saved) and then reloaded and tried out the so-called perfect ending (kill the Reapers, save Earth, Shepard lives) and I far preferred the former. Though it was neat in the latter to see Shepard was still alive I think the cost was way too high, killing the Geth and EDI really rubbed me the wrong way and I didn't try the middle option (or the fourth gently caress ALL Y'ALL! option) because it seemed like too huge a decision for Shepard to make on behalf of EVERYBODY. I think the "lesser" ending with Shepard dying, but his memories living on as the new Catalyst and directing the Reapers to help the organic and synthetic life in the universe rebuild is a really great way to end the trilogy, and it's the way things are going to have been for MY Shepard.

I was a little disappointed in the lack of a more in-depth look at what happened to the Squad, as well as the absence of some of the other races in the big battle at the end - I had kind of hoped that each of those war assets would get a moment to shine in a cutscene or at least a brief bit of audio, but aside from a few token gestures there was nothing, I'd have loved to have seen the Krogan riding dinosaurs in battle, Hanar and Drell infantry forces, Elcor with giant guns strapped to their backs etc. All in all though, the trilogy has been an absolute pleasure to play through from start to finish over the last six years. I love the universe and I love the games, but I do have to wonder how (or if) I can deal with a non-Shepard game, I really got invested in my grumpy, scarred up, ugly old bastard and his crew of space-bros :unsmith:

Following on from what others have said, I'll definitely pick up Citadel at some point in the future and make that my last Shepard experience, it sounds like a nice, fun way to say goodbye to the character.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

ElProducto posted:

Just played through the series a second time, this time with Leviathan and the new ending. I may just be someone who gets sucked into fiction too much and might just be a sucker (I like the Matrix sequels), but I really love every game. I never got tired of playing all six god drat times, and really enjoyed how it all ended. I understand that I'm in a minority but that's okay.

I really enjoyed all three games too, including ME3 which I felt was just as good as ME2 right up to the end. Even the endings (I only ever played the extended cut) weren't all that bad, just somewhat of a letdown after I enjoyed everything else leading up to them so much.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Leviathan also has the benefit of being played a bit at a time, you can do a Leviathan-specific mission and then tootle off and do a bunch more stuff before returning to that particular storyline.

I just found it a shame that despite how the DLC ends (the surviving Leviathans agree to join in the war) the only sign you really get that this has happened is being able to make a couple of references to it right at the end of the game.

The scene at the end of the last mission when the Reaper arrives and the three Leviathan psychically overwhelm it and it falls into the ocean is loving awesome though.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I kept waiting for that thing to have an associated reason for being there, but nope, just a severed head forever screaming :allears:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Try interacting with your space-hamster after you get that :ssh:.

Holy poo poo, that's amazing (I looked up a video). How do you get to take it back to your cabin?

Also, apparently if you just keep clicking on it in the lab it eventually explodes.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I didn't mind the long hair so much, but giving her a mini-skirt (at least you didn't have to use that outfit) and apparently having her constantly use lip-gloss was pretty depressing.

I legitimately thought she was an oddly re-modeled Miranda the first time I saw her in ME3.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Camaro83 posted:

I have a quick DLC question. So I have all 3 games on PC now and I'm hoping to do a playthrough of all three in sucession at some point this year. I was curious what the necessary story DLC's for each game were. Also, does the DLC ever go on sale? I don't feel like dropping $10-15 a pop, especially as pissed as I am at EA right now over Simcity.

The DLC has NEVER gone on sale as far as I know, and always requires Bioware Points to purchase. It's incredibly frustrating, especially if like me you came to ME3 late and wanted to prepare by playing through all the ME2 story DLC that you never picked up earlier.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Milky Moor posted:

Tali, who is also an incredible anti-synthetic racist during the events of ME1, and is proven wrong by Legion in ME2, whose growth as a character comes from turning away from her anti-synthetic beliefs?

The main thing that makes me sad is:

Sovereign: Each of us is a nation unto itself.

Because... welp. :smith:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

BrokenKnees posted:

For PC, the BioWare points themselves will go on sale every once and a while but DLC even less often.

And by less often - never. The DLC never goes on sale. It's extremely frustrating.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

Seriously. The moment he mentioned "dead husband", Shepard was basically "so what you're saying is you're single?"

It's really disturbing when you have people up to your cabin to chat and out of nowhere a dialog option pops up where Shepard turns into a leering freak. It always reminds me of McBain,"I had another appointment in mind..... IN BED! :stare:"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Senethro posted:

I'm looking at the Origin store with the sale on at the moment and can't see an option to "Buy Mass Effect 3 And Give Me Everything". Did they not release a super edition with all DLC yet or am I just being blind?

You still can't buy a "Mass Effect 2: Everything Edition" either. The DLC will sell at full price individually right up to the point where they stop "supporting" it and you just won't be able to buy it anymore :smith:

• Locked thread