Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Burning Mustache posted:

I think :shepspends: was spawned in the Steam thread, and I think that's really all there is to it (not that any explanation beyond that would be needed for the emoticon).

I got the idea for :shepspends: from :shepicide: and generally watching the retrogames and steam threads months ago (last year in fact, I think). I did share it in the retrogames thread when I first made it, and then promptly forgot all about it until about two months ago when I finally purchased it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Koramei posted:

I think the Let's Play subforum gets like a ridiculous amount of all SA's traffic, like a 20% or something, so it generating a ton of smilies isn't that surprising really. Also factor in the cult-like following some threads get.

We should probably be thankful there's only been one emote (:syoon:) out of the Dangan Ronpa threads.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Not saying that one's bad (though I could've phrased what I said better), just that given how popular the DR threads are we could've been flooded with emotes. As to the avatar, some mysterious benefactor/malefactor slapped it on me in HelloWinter's Phoenix Wright LP.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

haveblue posted:

Half the people who care about the DR threads are too cheap to even buy an account.

Someone spent about $300+ (at least that was the general collective guess from what we could work out) to buy multiple spoiler-heavy ad banners.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Fuego Fish posted:

Try :pwnonkicide: then

It needs to fall forward more. Looks like he's just stopped half-way.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

KnifeWrench posted:

That's crazy! He doesn't even consistently cross them the same way! :colbert:

The second pic doesn't look much like him either. Must be a mirrored backup :downsrim:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Arnold of Soissons posted:

you are replying to :kheldragar:

That one was a case of someone unrelated creating the smilie and everyone in the thread thinking it was pretty good... and then Kheldragar had to go and buy it with his name as the tag.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Benny the Snake posted:

Holy crap, is that Monster Rancher?

Suezo says yes.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Kimmalah posted:

It was Twisty. He posted a thread about assassinating John McCain at some point and that got the FBI's attention.

You can't help but feel sorry for some of the weird poo poo the FBI has to deal with due to the Internet. I'm going to quote something from the Space Station 13 thread as another example;

(For context; Dr. Cogwerks is one of the game's server admins and coders)

Dr. Cogwerks posted:

Some weirdo was making rapey and creepy comments in game one night at about one AM. I yelled at them, they responded with a couple weird cryptic messages and then this, roughly: "well thanks for all the fun times here, i've got my rifle loaded and i'm gonna be shooting up a school full of kids in the morning, so this is goodbye"

User key was his first initial and last name with a number, that same account name was also used by a certain college student's blog and google+ page. Found his city and college from those, and the IP address he was playing from matched the ip registry for that college. Submitted the admin log, ip and timestamps to the FBI's online tips form, got several frantic calls back from city police and FBI agents over the next several hours and ended up getting calls from various detectives and fbi agents every hour or so from one am to three pm. No goddamn sleep.

Dude's dorm room was raided and he was arrested within about three hours of his comments, dorm was searched, computer taken to forensics, all that jazz. I dunno what happened past that though. I did have to write up some incident reports and attach a whole bunch of supplementary text and pictures about what ss13 is, how we log player communications and login info, how people find the game, how people register for the game, and a whole bunch of other stuff like that. Somewhere there's a screenshot in an FBI evidence folder showing a bunch of regular players farting, because it was impossible to find any portion of the game chat panel WITHOUT farting.

goddamn you all

Dr. Cogwerks posted:

It was a week after Sandy Hook, I wasn't really in the mood to just handwave it away.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Met posted:

Smiley roundup! We got a bunch of new ones.

:refurb:

:refurb: is Refurb :ms:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Peanut and the Gang posted:

We can share it. :)

I wondered why that was called Peanut. I love that happy little dancing thing. :peanut: :allears:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Choco1980 posted:

The Userd gag is always funny because every single time someone comes out of the woodwork to fall for it. Every. Time. Usually it's some random obscure schmoe with like less than a hunderd total posts assuming he's suddenly as notorious as the bigger Forums Superstars (tm) which is just icing on the cake.

It caught a couple out in the PFY Macro/Meme thread :allears:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

AdorableStar posted:

I don't think so, it seems to wiggle a lot more than cthulhu who seems to just be going back and forth.

You really should update that to CatJail 2.0 :allears:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Oxyclean posted:

I'm pretty sure the smiles came from the Undertale thread, but if i remember correctly, the blackout period thing was lifted awhile back since people day-1 LPing stuff was more of an issue of quality then anything else, and that's something that sorta self moderates now I think.

Yeah, it rolled down from six to three months a fair while ago then got dropped altogether for that exact reason - Bad and Youtube-dump LP's don't last long.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Captain McStabbin posted:

Lipstick Apathy apparently comes from donating only $5. Wish I went $6.66 for buglord.

How are you all getting those titles anyway?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

FutonForensic posted:

He's real and it's loving insane. He's insane, the thread's insane, the game and the community that supports it is insane.

Don't forget he had his own Games subforum that he got to moderate for a short while devoted entirely to mocking Star Citizen. From what I've heard, it ended like all goon projects in spectacular failure.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Oxyclean posted:

Any time you think someone's spent money in a dumb way, always remember there's probably who's spent more money on something dumber.

I'd say I've gotten at least $30 worth of entertainment out of watching people use :shepspends:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The Time Dissolver posted:

It's the character Kat Tut from the game Peggle.

e: WTF, I posted this reply immediately and now some hours later it's after many posts answering the question better? forumssssssssssss

You get what you dissolve :colbert:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

prefect posted:

There is dumber stuff people have paid :30bux: for. :D

Wasn't that one a placeholder to get another emote done/fixed?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Malachite_Dragon posted:

You joke, but one of my childhood friends had genuinely never seen goatse before. I fixed that and she didn't speak to me for three days.
:goatsecx:

People generally react poorly to you bending over and baring your rectal cavity at them.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

RareAcumen posted:

I'm gonna need context because I just know where the text is from.

Turns out Caro is still alive and the US government is/was working to get him out of that Syrian Torture Prison.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

fool_of_sound posted:

Caro was a crazy goon who decided to he wanted to be a sniper and/or medic in the middle east. He went to do so, got captured, and ended up in a Syrian torture death camp. Everyone assumed he was dead, which is when the avatar was bought.

He was not dead somehow, and now he's coming back for revenge against GIP.

Wait, he's back posting again? :suspense:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Isnt it also impossible to replace emotes without breaking the link to all existing uses? That pixel is there forever.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

prefect posted:

Not true. I had talked Ozma into letting me replace it by buying a fixed version, but people got mad when they found out, so I abandoned the effort. :shobon:

Huh. I swear an Admin a few years back, maybe even Ozma, looked into it and the answer was that it'd gently caress up all prior uses of it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Collateral Damage posted:

I'm going to regret asking, but what's with the clockwork woman?

She's an android. The kid made her, because she is an accredited Professor :eng101:.

Nichijou is not a serious show by a long shot.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Acne Rain posted:

I have not watched nichijou but it seems cute and fun and completely unharmful unless you just start crying when in contact with anything from japan

What's the uncute and unfun fyad title from

Nichijou is well worth a watch so long as you don't mind subtitles, it's entirely cute harmless slapstick fun. Incidentally the title translates to something like "Ordinary Life" as a misnomer :eng101:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Collateral Damage posted:

The newbie avatar change isn't retroactive afaik.

It is. Unlike regular avatars, all Stupid Newbie avatars likely point to a single file location so when the original is replaced with a new stupidnewbie.jpg, they all update.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Wilford Cutlery posted:

Do you have insulated stairs in your house?

I am well insulated.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

sebmojo posted:

That should be called :rhubarb:

Fine, fine, fine.

Actually surprised the Wiktionary article doesn't note that it's been around all the way back to at least The Goon Show as a general radio show thing.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Picnic Princess posted:

Yeah but this is pyf. We cling to our injokes like our lives depend on it.

Literally in your case, by the looks of your own redtext :randpop:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Solice Kirsk posted:

Koala's are always high as gently caress and loaded with STDs. Nothing short of a dinosaur extinction level event will kill those filthy bastards.

Not quite, they're actually digesting what little nutrients they can get from eucalyptus leaves. It's more of a food coma :eng101:. They didn't really have predators until British settlers rocked up with cats and dogs in tow, so they had no need to care about anything past eating lunch.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Filthy Haiku posted:

Mister Bibs is also a complete idiot on every other issue, subjective or objective. The hotdog thing is more of a punctuation of the whole Mister Bibs experience.

All you need to know about Mister Bibs is he was called out as being an idiot by Red Letter Media;

And the origin of it from an RLM stream on Star Wars: The Force Awakens;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71RJJ0umdjQ&t=3715s
Should start at the right spot.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

yesss, thank you

For the uninitiated:

I was bored, so have some of them avatar-sized for anyone wanting to spread the nightmarish horrors around.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

buglord posted:

what game is :rip: from, or just like, whats the source image because I love it

Oregon Trail.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Adding the smoke alarm was a clever touch.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Carbon dioxide posted:

Yeah, Jira's a ticketing system for administering Scrum- and Kanban like processes. There are a bunch of alternatives available too.

Slack is just a chat app/webpage where you can make channels, private chats, whatnot. You can also embed images or other files to quickly share them and it has markdown support so you can put in code snippets and stuff.

It's also excellent for automated notifications as well, because you can use webhooks to get messages about things like hardware failures right from your management software when you're not at your PC.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Mr.Tophat posted:

This is absolutely outstanding

I kinda think the skeleton should've crumbled to dust after a few moments, rather than sliding back out the door.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Has Radium's lovely coding been un-hosed far enough that mods/coders/Lowtax can edit smilies now? I noticed :actually: has changed from the pose to that lovely little gif.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I cant help but think that some of them just have a report form section or checkbox for property destruction that just reads "Goonswarm".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

LingcodKilla posted:

I’m not an officer. I removed the dumb gold buttons and shoulder straps.

Not with THAT attitude, you aren't :colbert:.