Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Klyith posted:

I had a thought that I've been toying with, for a more difficult Impossible battlescape. The idea is to reduce the sight radius of soldiers by 1, and increase the sight & weapon range of aliens by 1. I have not even tried this in practice, so I don't know exactly how the some thing would work. IE, will alien pods activate when they see you and you still can't see them, or does activation rely on you exposing them from fog? But the general idea is to produce some situations where aliens can shoot you from out of sight, for that authentic :xcom: bullshit feel.
Hey, this is a good idea. If you wind up doing this, let us know how it works out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

DrManiac posted:

So I'm starting again to finish my classic playthrough. Is the DLC mission pack that came out worth it?
I skipped it, and the reception it got here has been fairly tepid. It's $7 for 3 new missions (and some admittedly neat cosmetic options). I'd suggest waiting for a sale.

Edit: I should also mention that dear leader ~*Jake Solomon*~ has mentioned they switched gears for the later DLC, after seeing the lukewarm reaction this one got. So if you're looking for the goods, the bad news is it's not here yet, but the good news is it's coming eventually

Soup du Journey fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Feb 10, 2013

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Darkrenown posted:

I don't get this line of thought at all. XCOM using meld in no way whatsoever makes them the same as the aliens. The Ethereals apparently enslave entire races and go around invading planets to test new races for <whatever>. We've seen nothing to indicate XCOM wants to "enhance" humanity at large any more than they want to draft the entire planet into nanofibre vests, hand them a laser pistol and force them to invade some unsuspecting world for a lark.

XCOM is a small elite unit, and I'm going to go ahead and assume any troopers being melded volunteer for it, since making supersoldiers against their will would seem to run serious risks of them twisting your head off with their giant robot hands as soon as they get back in shape. If it turns out we actually drag screaming soldiers down to Shen's lab to lop off their limbs and then use drugs/psi to keep them under control, then yeah, then I'd be worried XCOM had taken a darker path, but until then it just seems to be a case of you using the alien's tech against them, much as you do with plasma guns.
Banzai might be overstating it a bit, but we do have a pretty complicated relationship with the tools we create. Alfred Nobel might not have been a military man, but how much of the infrastructure that dynamite made possible wound up getting leveled by other industrial grade explosives? Nuclear fission is probably our best shot at transitioning into a sustainable world economy, but we've also used it to blow ourselves up a couple of times. Then there's the issue of climate change, and how we're gonna cook ourselves because we've built our whole world on a dogpile of dangerous, but also Cool New Techs that we'd clearly be fools not to incorporate asap.

Basically, it doesn't really matter what XCOM wants, because once it's invented and applied, the tech is gonna get out anyway, and we're almost certain to abuse it somewhere along the line. That abuse, in turn, will slowly shift our understanding of what's possible or even acceptable. It's easy to imagine that something similar happened with the Ethereals or whoever back in the day.

Soup du Journey fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Aug 26, 2013

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

dumpster17 posted:

Maybe its related to how they have to pay to patch on consoles, so they're waiting until there's a matching income stream to do it. Though that's still rear end to customers.
Microsoft dropped that policy earlier this year. Not sure what's going on in Sony's neck of the woods

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Is it just me, or does the infiltrator being held at gunpoint at 1:02 kinda look like he's leaking that black sludge from The Bureau?

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

more friedman units posted:

I'd love to see a sequel that gave the Apocalypse-style megacity setting another try, but this time with factions that are more meaningful, political scheming, etc.
I always thought it'd be pretty sweet to just take Apocalypse and move it to Mars. It'd let Firaxis bypass all the lore that basically turned Earth into the Judge Dredd setting, which I found to be a weird fit, thematically. Mars would also allow them play around with some classic ufo lore: where XCOM let you interact with greys, MIB's and shadowy councils, Marspocalypse lets you gently caress around in Martian pyramids and Cydonia. Heck, with the game's megacorp angle, you could even throw Total Recall into the mix. Give the people air? Yes/No/Maybe

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I think I read somewhere that with the release of EW, they were trying to make it easier to mod game data (without going so far as releasing full mod tools). Has anything come of that? Would I be able to open up some .ini, or the .exe file, and change something like the rate at which new alien species appear, or is that still bundled up in one of the .upk's?

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

nnnotime posted:

I'm trying to update my simple mod and so far I don't see anything easier about it. Firaxis moved a bunch of variables into the DefaultGameCore.ini file, but you still have to mod the EXE to get the game to use any INI file changes.
That's a bit disappointing. Are any of the new variables interesting, at least? I take it alien progression didn't make it in there, yeah?

Soup du Journey fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Nov 13, 2013

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

nnnotime posted:

I don't know, yet, as my mod (Implassic) doesn't require me to scrutinize the variables in detail. I assume over upcoming weeks people will post details on new variables in the nexusmods forums.

You can find all the ini files in this folder in you Steam directory:
...\SteamLibrary\SteamApps\common\XCom-Enemy-Unknown\XEW\XComGame\Config\
Oh, I know where to find it, I just can't look, as I haven't bought the expansion yet. I suppose I should take the plunge, the other features sound pretty great

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Speaking of Exalt and difficulty, have any mods come out to spice them up a bit? Larger pod sizes maybe? Anything at all?

I've been waiting for the steam sale to pick EW up, but I haven't been keeping up with the thread lately.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Any word on who's doing the soundtrack this time around?

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Not a Step posted:

A three month delay seems like overhauling a major game feature.
yeah theyre trying to get the planet to rotate normally again

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Baronjutter posted:

Does this game ret-con the ending of Xcom or simply add on to it?
yeah it got retconned. that last mission was so shameful it was stricken from the record

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
yeah theyre awful. all the mans look like theyre security guards too

zero excuse for that poo poo

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
i think the faceless looks like greg foertsch

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Colapops posted:

Even if there aren't actual loadouts, remember that you don't have to build individual weapons this time around. I don't think we'll be fumbling about trying to remember who gets this weapon and who gets that item.

huh? so what do engineers do nowadays?

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

DrManiac posted:

Really liking them making the UI smaller and clearer.

The Geoscape actually looks fun this time around too.

geoscape looking a lot like eldritch horror with one investigator: stomp around the map hotspot by hotspot, put out fires, and keep the doom counter from running down so that you can keep the cthulhu way down in the holeprevent aliens from melting down enough people to make a reaper

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
yeah those little commentary vids are great.

im a stupid man with childish tastes. its nice to sit back after a busy day of saving fuckers from the plague and watch a short video where some guy talks like a laser fence

Psion posted:

Is that XCOM2 hub he links like 4 times at the start up yet? That was the only annoying part. "Soon!" argh stop that
yeah, seconding that. that was just straight up pissssssssssssss

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
im actually a rat catcher

edit: so b i guess... :(

• Locked thread