Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

I really like the Mead Five Star reinforced filler paper. It's heavier than regular filler paper, and the reinforcement means the pages won't tear out of your binder. Pair that with a Five Star NoteBinder, and you've got a great replacement to a traditional notebook.

Showy off test page picture with my various pens/inks:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

I was in the market for a fancy pen so I settled on a Carene, because it is fancy and distinctive looking, and all the reviews I found pointed to it being a nice writing pen. Amazon had a nice deal on the "Blue Obsession" and thanks to the magic of next day shipping I have this in my possession:

That's a really strong blue. It's a fine nib pen, and I currently have Heart of Darkness in it.

Close up on that sexy nib (even if I think it kind of looks like a toe from the side)

It writes really nicely too. I first popped in a Waterman black cartridge, but wasn't too happy with it. I then inked it with some bottled ink, and holy cow was that wet! It's a little uncomfortable to write with if you hold it in a death grip, which I know you shouldn't do with a fountain pen, so that's probably a good thing. And the metal cap, lacquer body does look a little unbalanced to my eye, and feels unbalanced too. All in all though, i'm pleased with the purchase.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Tochiazuma posted:

I have five pens but I only use four,
I don't use them much but yet I still want more,
I should start writing more things down and fill them a lot,
Because then I might actually use up all this ink that I bought.

:golfclap:

I think picking up a Falcon in the next couple of months should finish off my collection for the foreseeable future. Six is a nice round number, right?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Zadus Rejan posted:

The urge of buying a waterman carene has haunted me since a few years now....should I?

The only complaint I have with my Carene is that it looks like a toe.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Noctone posted:

New massdrop deals:

Pilot Falcon for $105 (as per usual, add a bottle of Iroshizuku for $20)

Im going to regret not picking up a bottle of the cheap Iroshizuku aren't i? :ohdear:

I've had my eye on the metal Falcon for a while, but buying the resin version at half the price should be a good way to see if I actually like the soft nib.

Edmond Dantes posted:

Oh poo poo, that is really tempting. I don't see the option for SF however, just the sizes; are all Falcon nibs "S", or did they run out of them already?

The S is for Soft, so all the falcon sizes have that prefix.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

When did Goulet redo their website? I don't like it.

Also, the Falcon I ordered from Massdrop arrived yesterday. This is a seriously light pen, and definitely the scratchiest writer in my collection. But I think I like it, certainly can be neat to write with though. The beefier metal Falcon does hold my interest as a pen to buy at some point down the road, maybe in the medium nib?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Use a syringe to fill the converter. Even then though it's going to be a little messy, but inky fingers is part of the fun of fountain pens!

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

I have no idea what I'm going to do with this stuff since my taste in daily use ink runs more towards bulletproof blacks (currently EL Lawrence is my ink of choice), but I have a bottle of the stuff headed my way.

Also, Jesus the capacity of the Con-50 is tiny. I feel like I have to refill my Falcon daily.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

404notfound posted:

It's here! It's here! :woop:

My bottle arrived over lunch today. Too bad all my pens are all full at the moment. A problem that will be solved by my solution to all my gripes with the resin Falcon (too light, tiny converter capacity): Metal Falcon :homebrew:

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

I just learned that you can screw a Falcon nib/section unit into a Metro body, but you can't put the cap on. Also, the soft broad falcon nib really brings out the shading in EL Lawrence.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Luisfe posted:

This is the greates thing I've seen
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4XpwLHPlhw

:stonklol:

that looks massively uncomfortable to write with.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

I just picked this up from UPS.

Medium nib btw. Such a pretty pen, and good lord is it smooth.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

FAUXTON posted:

Waterman Caréne. That might be a hair over $200 depending on nib/vendor but it's a goddamn gorgeous pen.

I have a Caréne too, and you're right it is a gorgeous, and rather hefty pen that writes really well. I also happen to think it looks like a toe.

I just happened to get a Vista last week. The Lamy is a touch longer than the Caréne, but the Caréne is wider, and imo a much better writer.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

My Lamy 2000 from Massdrop arrived just now. I haven't written much with it yet, but drat this is a nice pen :stwoon:

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

I got my annual bonus last week, then Pen Chalet had that 15% off sale yesterday, and welp I bought a Stresemann. :retrogames:

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

I just swapped out the flex nib in my Ahab for a Goulet non-flex, and even with a minimum of fiddling it's already a vast improvement over the flex nib, which I found to be balky and recalcitrant. Of course it probably also didn't help that I bent the tines on the flex nib after an unsuccessful attempt at tinkering,

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Obligatory Toast posted:

Yeah, the noodlers flex Ahab leaves a lot to be desired, but it has a maaaaaasive ink capacity compared to a lot of other pens.

Thirty-five bucks for a large capacity piston-filler is a nice deal

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

A late (or early depending on if you choose to consider delivery date versus order date) birthday present arrived today! :toot:

It's every bit as lovely and understated as I hoped for, and the nib is just right. Took forever to arrive, but worth it.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

I feel like such a badass, I picked up an extra-fine, red-black Pelikan M800 on eBay, because it's a gorgeous color and it was cheap. When I first got the pen I was crushed because it did not write well at all, very scratchy. Took a look at the nib under magnification, and one of the tines was ever so slightly out of whack. After just a bit of fiddling everything is much closer to being in alignment, and it writes so much better, which is a huge relief. Now to buy a bunch of red ink samples so this can be my primary editing pen.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

pienipple posted:

I've tried the DeAtramentis Document inks (just the blues and blacks) and those were completely waterproof and didn't run at all even when I soaked the page. The blues had hellacious nib creep that lead to finding ink in the cap, but the blacks were pretty well behaved. Haven't tried any of the other Document colors.

I find the DeAtramentis Document Black to be a longer drying Heart of Darkness. I'd do comps, but I don't have anything inked with HoD at the moment.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

pienipple posted:

When I used HoD it ran like crazy when I got the page wet, even long after it was dry. Document black didn't, and didn't take a noticeably longer time to dry. Both used in an M Metro.

I've soaked a bunch of pages with HoD on it and it's never run. Maybe it depends on the paper? I've done most of my tests on lovely laser jet paper at work that i was about to toss in the shred bin. However, I do agree that some of the so-called bulletproof Noodlers inks aren't as waterproof as they claim.

As for dry times, this is Document Black vs Nooder's EL Lawrence (the only black Noodler's ink I have on hand).

Oh, and the Document was written with my Lamy 2000. It's close, but the Document Black definitely takes a little longer to dry. I'm also incredibly picky about dry times. So ten seconds to you might not be a big deal, to me it's oh god oh god i want to get onto the next page.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

pienipple posted:

It was staples sugarcane paper. Maybe I can do a comparison tomorrow.

Do work, or do ink comparisons? Is that even a question?

Staples laser copy paper, both written with a soft fine Falcon

The HoD washed out a little, but the paper was tearing more than the ink was smudging. I was wrong about the dry times though, at least with this falcon they're pretty much the same.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

I've owned 2 TWSBI pens, one broke when the threads that held the section to the barrel snapped off, the other is still working. A fifty percent failure rate is pretty bad for a retail item.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

When you're getting a custom grind on a nib, what impact does the original tipping have on things? In other words, if I want a stub, will the line be finer if they start with a medium or a broad?

My gut says it depends on how much of the nib gets ground off, and not the tipping that's being worked on.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

So I got a package today:

First impression? This is a drat long pen, it's longer than a M805! Second impression, oh my god the 18k nib is ridiculously smooth.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

An expensive, but not :homebrew: expensive :homebrew: option is the Pilot Custom 92, you can find them on eBay for ~$100-130 +S/H which is a nice deal on a 14k piston-filler.

A Noodler's Ahab + goulet nib is around the same price as a Safari and you get loads more ink capacity plus a nib I like better.

The Lamy 2000 is the loving truth, and if you can afford it I highly recommend it.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

All of the Goulet-branded nibs fit the Ahab and Konrad (since they only sell #6 nibs) so buy whichever one fits your preference. I bought a Fine two-tone because it looks fancier than plain stainless steel.

Alternatively get all of them and play around!

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

GoodBee posted:

I just see two, the two-tone and the steel.

Oh right, I was thinking of all the different nib sizes available (everything from XF to 1.5mm Italic!)

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Solkanar512 posted:

I absolutely love my Pelikan M600 if we're talking about higher end pens.

The M600 is great, my only, and very minor, complaints are that it's just a shade too short unposted for my taste, likewise the section is a bit small, and I think the blue/black looks better with the 605 rhodium trim. Red/black on the other hand is dead sexy with the gold trim.

And to prove that I am never satisfied, I think the M800 is a touch too wide

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Aww yiss, speaking of 1670, my 1670 Massdrop showed up today. Emerald of Chivor is a fascinating color, and Bleu Ocean reminds me of Edelstein Sapphire, but sparkly. I also got Rouge Hematite to round out my 1670 collection, but haven't inked up a pen with it yet.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

The Wolfen posted:

So I can have one for a blue-black, one for a standard black, and one for fun experimental colors at all times.

Then you're going to be, "I need one pen for reds, one for blues, one for greens..."

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Ropes4u posted:

How big does that feel in the hand? I really want a giant fatty pen for my day to day pen, something as big around as a Dr Grip would be perfect.

The M600 is relatively svelte, the section (.4" diameter) isn't all that much thicker than a uni-ball vision needlepoint. If you want a fat Pelikan the M800 or M1000 is your jam.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Are all Sailor converters cheap pieces of junk that are easily accidentally disassembled, or did I just get a bad one?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Zenostein posted:

That said, it's pretty helpful to always grasp converters by the clear bit, so you don't accidentally unscrew the whole thing while you're loving around with it.

Yeah, that was the thing, my other converters, mostly Pilots and Watermans, don't come unscrewed from the base. So it was quite the shock when i was flushing the pen, the plunger stuck, and the base came unscrewed. Shouldn't be a problem now that I've greased everything up.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Amazon having Iroshizuku for under twenty bucks leads to some impulsive purchase decisions. Sure, my collection needs another red.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

My Man Shran posted:

Edit: what horrible pen nerd things have you people done this weekend other than get your TWSBIs fixed.

I spilled Diamine Ancient Copper on my jeans trying to fill a Metal Falcon, one pump of the Con-70 and it was ink everywhere. Really nice color though.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Lolcano Eruption posted:

How are you guys getting the last bits of ink out of a Noodler's ink bottle?

A blunt syringe works wonders.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Got myself a Sailor Pro Gear Imperial Black through eBay as a "Christmas present" to myself. I really love how the matte finish feels, and the broad nib is the perfect line for me. It's a shame Sailor doesn't make the Pro Gear like a quarter of an inch longer. Of course you can :justpost: but I don't want to scuff the finish.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

grack posted:

I actually skipped the VP and waited for the one of the Custom Heritage 912s to drop super low and got that instead.

Good lord, you ain't kidding on the Custom Heritage 912 prices :stare: and flat-top with Rhodium trim is extremely my jam design wise too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

grack posted:

Okay, Pilot 912 showed up today (I'm in Canada so shipping waits etc.) and holy poo poo is this pen awesome. I like the nib better than my (much more expensive) Dolcevita Oro. I may have to buy a couple more with different nibs.

I've been messing around with the music nib on my 912 for the past week, and dang it's a finicky writer.