Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
semicolonsrock
Aug 26, 2009

chugga chugga chugga

Tithin Melias posted:

Could someone explain what the "drama" is surrounding elementz? I've been watching league stream tourneys for a while and the dude seems to cop a lot of poo poo, and while "nerfed irelia, better bench elementz" isn't really a meme anymore, it'd still be good to know why he's so divisive (mainly because i know next to nothing about him)

It sounds like SaintVicious is an immature douchebag and Elementz doesn't appreciate it while the rest of the team just deals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

semicolonsrock
Aug 26, 2009

chugga chugga chugga

Libertine posted:

Because for his attitude Saint is probably the best jungler and shot caller in NA. There's a reason he's both the all-star Jungler and he's organizing and leading the NA all-star team. Curse has looked unstoppable all season and then has just started to really falter in the last few weeks and it sounds like Saint and Elementz just weren't on the same page. The management of Curse has made it pretty clear that the team is Saint's team, and he makes the decisions, so if someone doesn't work with him it's their problem not his. When you are playing at the bleeding edge of any competitive endeavor, there's not a lot of room for hurt feelings, and you pretty much need an entire team that is as hardcore as possible to win championships. I think it was the same thing with Regi and Chaox in TSM. Regi runs the team and he and Chaox were contradicting each other in matches and costing TSM games. When you are playing professionally for large sums of money, you just can't have that kind of discord.

Yeah but be that as it may holy poo poo Saint is an rear end in a top hat. I feel like people like that are going to end up guttered in the long run while people like elementz make it. God willing.

semicolonsrock
Aug 26, 2009

chugga chugga chugga

Failboattootoot posted:

Saint is a relentless rear end in a top hat. I used to watch him stream a bunch back in S2 when he was still on CLG and I learned a lot about jungling, but I especially learned that he is a massive shitlord.

On Elementz, TSM's manager tweeted that he wanted to talk to elementz about a deal or somesuch. Doubt he'd be on TSM proper but maybe as a coach, or possibly starting back up TSM black? Probably a bit late for that.

Is it ok to talk about caster drama? Does anyone have any idea what the hell happened today to cause GGMonteCristo to lose his poo poo? A bunch of Reddit drama or some such?

I imagine it could just be the general vibe.

Also, three questions:

How do you get a Korean LCS/OGN LOL subscription? You have to pay, right?

Also, does it pair with Starcraft?

And, can you share accounts?

semicolonsrock
Aug 26, 2009

chugga chugga chugga
On topic: Korean LoL is great. Everything feels tighter and more coordinated.

Grinning Goblin posted:

This is just insane, sad, and sort of sums up my fears about some of the people who are professional players at the moment. I hope that he can mature up at some point and realize that he might want to go to a school and get a college degree.

He can do that later if he wants to. Plenty of people make a legitimate choice to do something else instead of going to school. See: every athlete who goes into the NFL or w/e out of high school, a poo poo ton of entrepreneurs, etc.

semicolonsrock
Aug 26, 2009

chugga chugga chugga

Grinning Goblin posted:

I didn't expect people to jump on that post, but the reason why I said what I did is that he pretty much admitted to not having any other prospects and then also admitting that he has no idea how to really manage his money when going out or being able to judge how much something should cost. Even then, putting it on par with professional sports is a hilariously bad example because of how many athletes end up going bankrupt shortly after their retirement(I can at least confirm this with the NFL and NBA). I can't really comment on how much money he is making because I don't have those numbers. Although while he might not realize it, being able to write guides is an actually marketable skill, but he would also have to be familiar with what he is writing the guide on, which would probably require him to go to school for something or having some work experience.

I would be willing to bet that the average college freshman doesn't know a lot of those things either. Sure, it's risky and hard, but so are a lot of worthwhile things in life. Worst case scenario, he is in a better position to go to college later a la Stephano's supposed plan.

Libertine posted:

iG vs. WE was a really great series today. Both of them play extremely aggressive but extremely smart at the same time. You can see them jab back and forth forever and then one person makes a really decisive move to engage and like 7 different people die on either side. It's just crazy. The final game of the best of five was won when...

Malphite teleported into a ward in friendly jungle behind the sieging team, ulted into both carries and his whole team crashed on them with follow-up, killed 4, and raced down the Nexus turrets/Nexus.

where was this streamed? Can you link to a VOD?

IBentMyWookie posted:

Is there a vod site for asian games?

OGN LOL -- $6 subscription though.

semicolonsrock
Aug 26, 2009

chugga chugga chugga

HiggsBoson81 posted:

You could say the same thing about Raidcall. I just assume these companies are bored rich people who like video games, some people try to help Africa and donate millions to education, some people donate a couple hundred grand to video games. Seems like being a (relatively) high profile entertainment company is kind of a dumb way to launder money, but I haven't really tried to launder money before so who knows.

Or they are another playhem.

semicolonsrock
Aug 26, 2009

chugga chugga chugga

PlaceholderPigeon posted:

Speaking of Prolly, there is a pretty hilarious 20 minute interview on Gamespot w/ him here

I wonder how Chuuper is doing as ADC, but there wasnt much insight into that. Hopefully him being more into the game will make the teamwork more consistent, rather than him doing misplays.

Can't tell if he is really good looking or really ugly.

semicolonsrock
Aug 26, 2009

chugga chugga chugga

Savage Cracker posted:

Secret wish for an NA allstar team: Hotshotgg in top, saintvicious in jungle, regi in mid (whatever else in bot) and then full viewer access to team communication.

Yesssssss

This woudl be beautiful.

semicolonsrock
Aug 26, 2009

chugga chugga chugga

Libertine posted:

Yes he is, and I think it's the opposite, the difference between 2400 and 3000 is like exponentially extreme. Just thinking about someone getting that high of an ELO is absurd. I remember seeing some of his streams back then and he was so technically amazing. He looks even better now but I haven't seen him play in months.

ATN is arguably the most technically talented team who went through the qualifiers. All their players are just sooo good individually.

semicolonsrock
Aug 26, 2009

chugga chugga chugga

rhazes posted:

...some of the fairly brutal accents present in EU LCS.

I really like this way of putting it. I didn't actually realize there was like, a preshow to LCS. I've only seen the games. What else do they do?

semicolonsrock
Aug 26, 2009

chugga chugga chugga
DB has really stepped it up for these games; this just isn't the DB I'm used to seeing at all. I would have like to somehow have SiJ play DB and MYM play ATN though, or something like that. SiJ just seem better than DB.

semicolonsrock
Aug 26, 2009

chugga chugga chugga
MYM is taking it back in such a big way, dumpstering them.

semicolonsrock
Aug 26, 2009

chugga chugga chugga

Allyn posted:

That sounds about right. Korea could easily have 4 or 5 teams, though -- both CJs, NJ Sword (even though they're playing like poo poo right now), SKT 1, KTB would all be exceptionally competitive. SKT 2 and NJ Shield perhaps, as well. China probably a similar number. Whereas I don't think SEA could really justify more than 3 (and even the third would be Singapore Sentinels who :effort:). Last time round all three of those regions only had 2 teams, which was crazy in hindsight, for me.

IPL5 was one of the best tournaments League has had because SO many of the top teams were there, and that had 16. It was group stage into double elim though, and was really really long as a result. Would be good to find a middle ground.

How would you follow the SEA scene? I'm curious what their meta is.

semicolonsrock
Aug 26, 2009

chugga chugga chugga
If you want to see Azure Cats and how they play: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86F05zB3D9M OR https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzEB2WDSvCw

Spoiler alert: they are loving good.

e: also one of the casters is awful

semicolonsrock fucked around with this message at 22:53 on May 7, 2013

semicolonsrock
Aug 26, 2009

chugga chugga chugga

Ninkobei posted:

After taking the early lead 4-1 in a somewhat lucky gank (this would never happen vs a good team), they lose their advantage by giving up 3 deaths and letting their opponent back in it. Anyone can snowball after an early victory like they had.

Yeah the casters are terribad.

That's probably not the best example (though I think that even though strategically a better team might not do that, beating them in the fight mechanically was impressive too). Watch some of the other games linked, that was probably one of their worst. In the finals of that qual tourney (vs an arguably better team) they get a 20 minute surrender the first game and then have a 37:12 kill game the second game on their way to a 2-0. I would not be surprised at all if they knocked out CLG.

semicolonsrock
Aug 26, 2009

chugga chugga chugga

PlaceholderPigeon posted:

Was watching some of the OGN Match between SK Telecom T1 #2 and Najin Shield and man, some of those Hecarim ganks in the first game were..uncomfortable. It seemd like NOFE would be like "Okay I'm ganking!" and then he'd run in and there would be little support and SKT would just wreck him. Awkward. Feels like jungling at my teir where people aren't exactly sure where to go and instead of impressive entrances they sort of run in like a indecisive party crasher.

Also, watching Faker taking out J4 as Jayce after a failed 2v1 gank in game 2, Impressive stuff!

Finally, they all seem to ban TF as a matter of course? Like, red always bans out TF?

Yeah, Nofe didn't seem to have it figured out that it's really the R which lets you gank. Really sad game from NJ SH in general.

Also, yeah. Watch a few of the games where TF is picked to see why he is banned the rest of the time -- the impact they make him have on the game is ridiculous.

semicolonsrock
Aug 26, 2009

chugga chugga chugga
Can't wait for NickWu: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mO3Vw12p_vI

So, TAP is kind of sad to watch.

semicolonsrock
Aug 26, 2009

chugga chugga chugga

Libertine posted:

Blue Ezreal needs to die in competitive play. I don't think I've seen it win a single game.

Did you watch the first Quantic v TAP game?

GrahamBLY posted:

Is it true that TAP had never met before today (or whenever they flew in)? That seems crazy. They were definitely yelling at each other after game 1. Oh well, hope they see some sights and get more in their goodie bags than a pair of gunnars. QTC looks very, very tight.

Yeah not as a team. Though I think Nydus + Bobby do know each other.

semicolonsrock
Aug 26, 2009

chugga chugga chugga

exethan posted:

Blue Ezreal got ahead and performed extremely well.

Yeah, rhetorical :)

So I wish it was Quantic v MRN instead.

semicolonsrock
Aug 26, 2009

chugga chugga chugga

Comrade Question posted:

I was hoping for some unconventional picks by TSB from what little I read about them, but I guess now is the time to play it safe.

TSB is splitting damage sooooo well.

e: frommaple's team just too heavy :(

semicolonsrock
Aug 26, 2009

chugga chugga chugga
^ Whoaaaa

Studio posted:

I have, Atlanta was on prep duty at the event, not sure what's gone on.

Is Atlanta coaching Velocity too? Always seemed weird to me that he wasn't on a team.

semicolonsrock
Aug 26, 2009

chugga chugga chugga

Studio posted:

Yeah, and he has atrocious tournament nerves.

That's actually so unfortunate :( Such a cool player.

So... all normals games? Whoah. It's crazy that this works as preparation.

semicolonsrock
Aug 26, 2009

chugga chugga chugga

foutre posted:

e: Also, it's really cool getting your perspective as an insider on what's going on in the matches.

This. So concerned for VES right now :(

e: Can someone explain these lane swaps?

semicolonsrock
Aug 26, 2009

chugga chugga chugga
gently caress THAT

How do you miss

that

oh

my

god

So close to a steal.

semicolonsrock
Aug 26, 2009

chugga chugga chugga
Thresh pulls Cris in, is like, oh poo poo.

semicolonsrock
Aug 26, 2009

chugga chugga chugga
Wow, thank god. Rubber match inc. Feeling better about Velocity's chances. Still not sure how they'd fare vs. MRN though.

semicolonsrock
Aug 26, 2009

chugga chugga chugga

Miftan posted:

The sad truth is that I feel like whoever wins here will still be crushed by MRN.

e:

Couldn't have said it better. I think MRN's improved by a whole lot, but I guess we're about to find out!

Just sucks that the tournament scene has devolved to LCS and nothing. Gives these teams so much less of a chance to practice and improve.

semicolonsrock
Aug 26, 2009

chugga chugga chugga
Oh look, Renek's eating them. If only there was some way to predict this.

semicolonsrock
Aug 26, 2009

chugga chugga chugga

The Mash posted:

Vileroze was bad, bad, bad all game and my god does he need to cut off all the child molesting pubic hair on his head

Studio -- get on this?

A Velocity with Pr0lly would be terrifying.

e: Can't say I care about these teams. Looks like TS is winning, which is cool since then we get the LOCUST v. Dig grudge match.

semicolonsrock fucked around with this message at 00:52 on May 11, 2013

semicolonsrock
Aug 26, 2009

chugga chugga chugga
Fair.

So what makes Varus' ult so hard to land? I've never played as him.

semicolonsrock
Aug 26, 2009

chugga chugga chugga

foutre posted:

So Azure Cats is good.

Disgusting stomp. They and Quantic are clearly on a different level.

semicolonsrock
Aug 26, 2009

chugga chugga chugga
I'm thinking MRN and maaayybe CoL.

semicolonsrock
Aug 26, 2009

chugga chugga chugga
PLEASE LET VELOCITY IN I WANT EVERY GAME TO BE THIS GAME

semicolonsrock
Aug 26, 2009

chugga chugga chugga
Grats studio!!

Super awkward for Pr0lly now, huh? They would be so strong with him. Though vile is pretty hype. I really hope nien, mega, and prolly find new teams. Or just make a Nientonsoh, Megazero, Prolly, and maybe Lautemortis team. Or get NickWu jungling somehow, IDK.

Alakaiser posted:

Cris needs to ditch the sweatpants if he's going to be on camera. I take the fashion of my professional video game players very seriously.

Need an equivalent:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Cute-Starcraft-Boys/164011200315432

semicolonsrock fucked around with this message at 18:45 on May 12, 2013

semicolonsrock
Aug 26, 2009

chugga chugga chugga

Jonny Angel posted:

Welp, new favorite team.

I guess?

e: double :(

Anyway, I feel like this highlights how important it is to have another league. S4.

semicolonsrock fucked around with this message at 18:45 on May 12, 2013

semicolonsrock
Aug 26, 2009

chugga chugga chugga

Flayer posted:

Interesting how neatly the promotions/champions worked according to how they finished in the league system. Fnatic and TSM won the league and also became champions, Marn/CoL were the bottom 2 in NA and got relegated, AAA/Giants/DB were the bottom 3 in EU and got relegated.

No real surprises in the end with the possible exception of AAA who just fell apart with the loss of their regular Support player.

Velocity getting in was, I think. I mean, they rock, but I think MRN underperformed a little there.

semicolonsrock
Aug 26, 2009

chugga chugga chugga

Studio posted:

I just got home, but I'm tired so I won't do a full writeup until at least tomorrow. Let's just say there's work to do

Looking forward to it, and how much more Velocity can improve!

semicolonsrock
Aug 26, 2009

chugga chugga chugga

Jonny Angel posted:

So, word from reliable sources (including Studio, Phreak, and directly from LemonNation) is that Quantic have been wrecking TSM/Dig/Curse/CLG in scrims. Are there too many variables at play here for that to mean anything, or can we officially start boarding the Quantic Hype Train?

I would say they are definitely top 4, but I wouldn't assume that those scrims are going to look anything like their tournament results. Also it's pretty cool that 4ish teams with atlanta-trained members are in the lcs now, with GGU, Vulcun, Velocity, and Quantic. And ironically, despite them all being on "Atlanta's team", he's not in the LCS but they are.

semicolonsrock
Aug 26, 2009

chugga chugga chugga

Copycat Zero posted:

Is there anything stopping Velocity from listing Atlanta and Studio as subs (other than possibly Atlanta and Studio not wanting to play)?

I think Atlanta said in an AMA he might end up being one of the subs. So, nothing :)

Also, I found the most boring LCS game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCT17Zy59Z0

semicolonsrock fucked around with this message at 22:26 on May 14, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

semicolonsrock
Aug 26, 2009

chugga chugga chugga

A jargogle posted:

Last week he displayed some really great mechanics and clutch game winning teleports. I wasn't watching this particular game, but didnt BTT end up coming out with a 2-0 victory?

Where are these games from?

e: from an interview:
"I saw you picked Teleport on a jungle Elise. What was the main objective of that?"

JnT Taylor: Well, only the spider is safe in her web.

e: ohhh http://www.twitch.tv/kaostv

semicolonsrock fucked around with this message at 00:18 on May 15, 2013

• Locked thread