Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!
It's also worth checking out ebay. Just picking one at random, this x220 comes with a dual-core i7 (note, sandy bridge), 8 gb of ram, webcam, bluetooth, 9-cell battery, fingerprint reader, I think it has a WWAN card, and it's still under warranty until march 2015, all for $500 shipped. Granted, they replaced the hard drive with a lovely 5400 RPM drive, it doesn't have the IPS screen, and the WWAN card means no msata SSD, but still.

For thinkpad shopping on ebay, remember that you can look up the exact specs of any model via the MPN here and if they include the serial & MPN (or you ask the seller) you can look up the warranty status here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

Someone asked about external GPU's a few pages back and got unfairly shot down. DIY external GPU's are totally a thing and an option worth considering. Yes, even with just an ExpressCard port. You're looking at spending about ~$140+whatever you want to spend on a full-size desktop video card to able to have your cake and eat it too.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

QuarkJets posted:

This is a stupid concept on its face; not only do you need to pay hundreds of dollars to do it, but you're going to be limited by whatever Frankenstein connection you're using to hook up your laptop to a video card on your desk, so the performance isn't going to be nearly as good as the equivalent desktop. [...] For the same money you could probably just build a superior desktop

Hadlock posted:

The cost of one is roughly the same as a new PS4 and is about the same size, or refurbishing your desktop with more ram and a new video card. It's hard to justify the costs to the average user when there's better options out there.
Of course the performance isn't as good as a desktop, that's not the point. It's an alternative to buying a hulking gaming laptop. eGPU's handily beat gaming laptops (at least in synthetic tests) because of the performance gulf between a full-size graphics card and a cut-down mobile card. The equipment cost is under $150 + a video card of your choice; you are not going to build a superior desktop for that amount of money. Comparing the performance increase gained via an eGPU to spending that amount on upgrading your desktop assumes the person has a desktop to upgrade.

So you can carry around your small & light laptop all day then go home, plug in your eGPU, and have greater gaming performance for less money than if you had bought a dedicated gaming laptop. Given how heavily small notebooks without discrete graphics are pimped in this thread, it's totally something for a goon with an x230 to consider.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

My mom's Thinkpad t410S has two issues with the screen. First, she kind of broke one of the hinges.

Second, she has a weird stripe on the screen. It's been plaguing her for months. It's always the same width in the same place on the screen. Sometimes it makes that portion of the screen totally unreadable, sometimes just distorted like this, sometimes just very mildly distorted, and sometimes it's not there at all for weeks before coming back.

The stripe seems like it could just be a loose connector somewhere and is something I could maybe fix without buying any parts. The first will definitely require I buy...something but I'm not sure what. What parts would I need to buy to fix that? I've never fixed or replaced a laptop screen before.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

This was the hard drive in a t410s.

I am trying to get the data off of it. I have this set of adapters and none of them fit. What kind of adapter do I need to buy?

edit: fixed image.

Gobbeldygook fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Sep 16, 2015

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

Aaod posted:

I am looking to buy a thinkpad which when I priced it out on the site with the specs I need ran around 1k am I better off getting a refurbished model instead, waiting for potential back to school sales/price drops, or suck it up and buy non refurbished version if I plan on using it for the next couple years? Checked the original post in the thread and didn't see much mention of this sort of question so apologies if I missed it.
Try eBay. You can often find ThinkPad's from the previous generation that are still under warranty.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

Spacedad posted:

There's several windows programs I'd like to be able to use in a pinch on the go, either to manage files or to modify something. I plan on doing that with an artist tablet PC as well but being able to do that from a small & cheap but decent little laptop would give me more flexibility. (Also I can install and play my lower-end pixel-art-ish steam games.)

That said - I'm not 100% against a chromebook. The 'cheap PC' route might be served by a cheap refurbished chromebook; I sort of see using a cheapo laptop as basically a glorified TV remote. (In addition to typing and basic productivity stuff.)
Comedy option: Get a cheap laptop that is also a tablet. For example, you could buy this used Thinkpad Twist for $170.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

Spacedad posted:

:lol: wow

In all seriousness, I will be investing in a professional-quality tablet PC for myself later on.
To be clear that was only a suggestion for a cheap PC suitable for watching Netflix and playing Undertale with the bonus that you could doodle on the screen and absolutely not a suggestion for something on which you could do your serious animator work.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

100% Dundee posted:

I've been checking the Dell Outlet like a hawk every few days and watching prices, is there anywhere else good I should be looking around? Any specific models? The one's I keep seeing pop up that meet most/all of those characteristics are the Inspiron 13" and 15" or the Latitude 12" and 13". I'm not in a huge rush as my trip isn't coming up for a few months so I'll probably try to wait for some black friday/cyber monday/christmas type deals coming up, but it'd be really nice to know what to look out for!
For under $500 try a used Thinkpad t460 or x260 e.g. this.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

Papercut posted:

My wife's old Thinkpad L530 Windows install got hosed somehow during an update, and when I reinstalled Windows on it and tried to use the key on the sticker, it gave me a "product key no longer valid" type message. We don't really use the laptop for anything anymore other than Netflix, so rather than buy a Windows key I want to just install Linux. My only experience with Linux is running Ubuntu on virtual machines; is there anything special I'll need to know about installing it on this laptop?
Given that you're doing a clean install, no. I recently dualbooted a laptop to Ubuntu and soon found out the hard way what Bitlocker is.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

Statutory Ape posted:

whats it cost to get like a 1070ti w/ enclosre? $650? rather just build a SFF gamer out of a refurb and a lowpro at that point

especially considering you realistically still need the entirety of the rest of the desktop setup (monitor, kb, mouse, etc) to take full advantage of egpu , as i understand it
Some glorious spergs maintain a great eGPU website.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

Quixzlizx posted:

Are there any BF deals on a 13/14" ultrabook with a TB3 port? The best I've seen so far is $999 for an XPS 13, while I was hoping for something closer to $700. There are some good deals in that range, but no TB3 ports. I wasn't expecting TB3 to still be such a scarce feature.
Is a lenovo t470s close enough?

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

Strange Matter posted:

Where would I look to find such a thing? The Lenovo Outlet isn't showing me anything close to that right now. eBay?
Yeah.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

I opened my 470s and it wasn't responding, although it was powered on. Then I noticed a tipped over cup a few feet away. It was sitting in a very shallow puddle of water. I powered it off, opened it up, and it's currently air-drying. There was some moisture inside although not as much as I feared.

How long should I let it dry before trying to power it on? What are the odds it survives?

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

Gobbeldygook posted:

I opened my 470s and it wasn't responding, although it was powered on. Then I noticed a tipped over cup a few feet away. It was sitting in a very shallow puddle of water. I powered it off, opened it up, and it's currently air-drying. There was some moisture inside although not as much as I feared.

How long should I let it dry before trying to power it on? What are the odds it survives?
update: I disassembled it, let it dry for five days, and then it successfully booted it up. Thinkpad wins again.

I took this picture of Andy demanding breakfast not knowing the laptop he was standing on was sitting in a puddle of water. If you look to the back-right you can see the cup of water he tipped over.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

thehandtruck posted:

Cleaned my laptop's keyboard with water cause I'm really cool and smart and now half my keys don't work. Any recco's for a Toshiba something in the $400 range? Just using it for the usual garbage like zoom, netflix, etc. This one was refurbished and lasted 4 years so refurbs are fine.

edit: this is the one I had and looks like it's now 300, should I just get this lol

https://www.newegg.com/toshiba-tecra-z40/p/1TS-000F-00MV8?Item=9SIA3TXBDF6735&quicklink=true
just grab a cheap t470 or t460 off ebay, making sure it has a 1080p screen and a webcam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Unsure if this is the right thread or not...

The thin top layer of plastic(?) that covers my laptop trackpad has started to flake off.
  • The under layer is rougher and stickier.
  • It still works, but it just feels unpleasant to the touch.

Is there a way to fix the track pad surface myself?
  • Do I have to send it in to the shop?
If you can find a replacement part you can replace the trackpad yourself. Here's an example of what's involved for a t470.