Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

A tiny canvas picture. Acrylic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Strictly amateur world here - a little doodle I did for my mum.

Chooks in space

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

I don't do a lot of art, but our local art society were doing an 'Art on the seafront' event this weekend, and having made the mistake of talking to artists on the Saturday, they persuaded me to come along on the Sunday.

My perspective is terrible, and I overworked the chalk between the legs of the sea fort, On the other hand, I don't do a lot of large stuff, and don't do chalks and pastels at all.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Went to a drawing event where we got to wander around a Lightship that's been converted into an arts and community event centre.

This diving helmet was in one of the cabins

They had the ship's original optics set up in the hold.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Rather Tonic posted:

Thank you guys for the comments, it's really encouraging!

That sounds amazingly fun! Also, I really like your drawing of the diving helmet, especially the greens you're using in those shadows.

Yeah, it was really neat. I don't know where you are, but on the off-chance you're in the SE of England, it's called Explore and Draw, and they go to all sorts of interesting places.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Did a couple of little sketch pictures of some local WW2 pillboxes. Didn't feel like trying to negotiate the cliff down to them, and the tide was coming in, so didn't go looking for another route to them.

The actual view

Fine liners - as I only had a small bag, I only took a few colours. The brown I thought was quite light going by its cap colour turned out to be mega dark :(

Watercolour. Not really sure how I should have tried to represent the shallower parts of the water better. Maybe wait for it to have dried and brought the wash I used for the sea down over it?

And then I left because there were all the midges.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Handen posted:

Is anyone else here into extinct/rare pigments? These just came in the mail. :chaostrump:

My mum still has a bunch of her old paints from art school in the 60s

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Handen posted:

Got any emerald greens, chrome yellows/oranges, manganese blues, or flake whites she’d wanna sell?

Edit: For real though. If she’s sitting on a lot of old oil paint and wants to make some cash, let’s talk.

I think she's water colours and acrylics, not oils.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Trabant posted:

My "OK, gently caress this, gently caress me, this is the best it'll get, I give up" print of the year:

I think I did OK with the carving, I just could not get this one to print well.

Are you printing with a press, or by hand?

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Marker and white paint on Bristol board

I think I need to bring the lower left bit of moon in a bit

Angrymog fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Nov 27, 2019

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Did my Christmas cards. Used a rolling pin. Still really hard work.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

TheMostFrench posted:

Are you painting from a reference? Even if you are you might be able to add some small detail that enhances the perspective. Look at these, I assume this is what you mean by 'a road across the landscape' - Some roads do actually look like a flat block, especially if they are at the horizon line, but something like a small fence on one side or lane markers on the road make the perspective clearer. Anything you can think of like small stones or plants on or around the road help to give a reference for the eye.

Looking at those the key thing that adds perspective to them is that the lane that's away from the viewer is shorter than the one closer to the front of the canvas. You could use ruts from cart tracks for the same purpose. Though from a composition PoV, mightn't it look better with the road going from left to right behind the villa?

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

deep dish peat moss posted:

Everything I draw (including two sets of custom shoes now) is 80%+ fineliner pens and I've gone through an absurd amount of black fineliners (staedtlers/microns) these last few months. Can anyone recommend a good online supplier for (hopefully cheap) pens, and/or another brand I should look into, or some kind of refillable equivalent, or anything else I can do to save money on these things?

ex:

(more & hq: https://imgur.com/a/lYlPHMP )

These are pretty cool. The issue is that cheap ones might not be light fast, which is important if you're selling or displaying your work. Less so if they're just for your own enjoyment or you're only going to sell and display prints.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Been mainly drawing nonsense, but here's a miniature of one of my brother's cats. Water colour, actual art is just a bit smaller than a credit card.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Been taking part in a water colour class, here's one of the finished pieces.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

HopperUK posted:

I've been posting my miniature Bob Ross paintings over in the daily thread but I'm unreasonably proud of this one so I'm tossing it in here too.

Got liquid white everywhere doing this, somehow. Everywhere.

I really like this one - it's kitch, but it feels like a tropical sunset.

You mentioned having issues colour matching, so assuming his own-brand paints are a match for what he used in the videos, find a colour chart for them (seems to be pretty hard - maybe the info is on the actual tubes and you can ask on a relevant forum), then match them to whatever you're using.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Entenzahn posted:

Hey guys I hope this is the right thread but I tried my first watercolor project today and it was really bad and now I would like some advice.

Can you post a link to the tutorial too?

Anyway going by your materials, apart from differing skill levels between you and the demonstrator, the main thing that will affect how your paint works is the sort of paper you're using. Canson Montval seems to be a cellulose paper, which behaves differently from cotton papers; notably it doesn't like wet on wet techniques much because the water tends to sit on top of the paper, so it's very easy to move your wet paint around and accidentally go back to the paper. So if the tutor was using cotton paper, the techniques they used will need a bit of adjustment to work properly on cellulose paper.

Wood based paper can also start to disintegrate much sooner than cotton paper, but there are quality differences between different brands; e.g. I used an aldi pad for my pokemon pictures; it's so cheap they won't even commit to it being acid free; I also got some free practice paper from the SAA which was surprisingly rubbish (or it's possible that I was using the wrong side ), but my Hanneulle, Winsor and Newton, and even some lighter weight (200gsm) Gerstener paper are all quite robust despite being woodbased one and all.

Looking at the pictures I'd say practice some basic techniques like washes and gradated washes with your chosen paints and papers to get a feel of how they work before going straight into following a tutorial.

This was done on the Hanneuelle paper (with Arteza paints, so I'm not breaking the bank there) this on the Winsor and Newton

On both of them you can see the paint is behaving a bit strangely in places (most noticeably in the water of the swan), but I'm pretty sure that that's the paint at fault. Because the arch was done on very good quality wood paper, I was able to use glazes and wet in wet on it. (also helps that it's on a block, so it couldn't rumple up)

You can see the pokemon and fruit collection here - https://imgur.com/a/WznV2Zd they're done in a variety of media, but notably the paper was so bad, that some of my water colour pencils would lift when adding water to them.

Angrymog fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Apr 8, 2020

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Franchescanado posted:

I don't actually ever use that little watercolor pen though. I just keep it in the kit and bring regular brushes with me

I've found the little waterbrushes are really useful for wetting the paint without picking up pigment - just squeeze some water out and wait a bit.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Entenzahn posted:

This is the tutorial in question

Thanks for the link

Re: brush sizes, for getting paint out of half pans, a size four is the largest practical size imo, but you could use that to transfer paint to a pallete then pull paint from the pallete with a larger one.

Also, if you're in the UK, I recommend joining the SAA (I think I can provide some sort of friend code if you're interested), they're not always the cheapest, but the things they are cheap on, they're very cheap, and they have a lot of video tutorials and live workshops and so on.

re: paper if you buy bigger sheets it works out cheaper, and you can cut them down to the size you actually want to work with.

Another thing to find out is what pigments your paints are made off - e.g. my Senellier Burnt sienna is a pure pigment - PBr 7 iirc, but the same colour name in the Arteza tubes is a mix of PR1010 and PBr6. They look approximately the same when unmixed, but behave slightly differently when mixing and so on, so if you try a colour mix and it doesn't work right, check your pigment numbers vs. the instructors.

Angrymog fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Apr 9, 2020

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Paging Entenzan.

I started my project to try the same tutorial with different paints on different papers.

This is on Aldi multi-media paper, with Cotman (student grade), Sennelier (professional), and Kuretake (who the gently caress knows *) paints

The Aldi paper behaved much better than I thought it would - I honestly thought it was going to lift back to white the moment the second layer of water went on, and it dealt with being worked into quite well, all things considered. All sets were pan-based, and I suck at mixing greens. My Sennelier set doesn't have a yellow ochre (Pbr43), but has a Naples Yellow Deep (Pbr24), so I used that instead. I couldn't get a strong enough pigment mix with my greens (I suck at green) to do distinct trees, so just went for implied foliage. Like her I did the wind vane with a gel pen. Of the three paints, the Cotman didn't like being worked into over and over again; will be interesting to see if it does the same on better papers.

The aldi paper also tore quite badly when I pulled my masking tape off.

Also, everyone incase you haven't seen the notice in the chat thread or the daily doodles thread, we made a new art discord that will be actively maintained rather than just being part of weird discord empire.

https://discord.gg/25e2VpE

If you join, say your name in the lobby and you'll be given roles.

* Literally. I emailed and they don't have lightfastness and pigment ratings available to customers because their primary market isn't interested. They are however, very nice paints to use, and look gorgeous. They're also in huge shallow pans, so good for large brushes.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Entenzahn posted:

lol gently caress this is way better. you even used cheap paper too, guess I just need to practice more :v: thanks for sharing

I did the pink sunset too (just Cotman and Sennelier, not with the Kuretakes), on Aldi, Bockingford (sort of equivalent to the paper you used), and Daler Rowney's Langton Prestige (100% cotton) and the mid-range paper came out the worst I think; even did one of them twice on it. Will post if you want.

ETA: Used a size 6 brush.

Angrymog fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Apr 15, 2020

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Entenzahn posted:

Sure, I'd like to see that. Are size 6 brushes uniform in the US? Everyone recommends those but when I've shopped around here I noticed that depending on manufacturer they range from like 3-8mm, so some size 6 brushes are literally twice as large as others.

I have no idea, I'm based in the UK. I'm using Daler Rowney's Diana Kolinsky sable brushes (mainly because a local art shop had a gift pack with 6 brushes and some cotton paper marked down to £30; since the size 6 and 7 brushes are around that price each, I couldn't exactly pass it up), otherwise I'd be using a synthetic or synthetic/sable mix.

Will scan them and post in daily doodles thread tomorrow morning.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Chernabog posted:

My latest gear painting. This time I tried something different.

https://twitter.com/arianimation/status/1250638824461328384

I love this. It's like an arty version of one of those mix and match books.

re: same tutorial on different papers, I've posted here - https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3908678&pagenumber=20#post504164631

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Not even my cheap brushes do that, could be a manufacturing defect. Does it go back into form when you dip it in water?

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Chernabog posted:

https://twitter.com/arianimation/status/1274009280933289990

I improved the mechanism, they are a bit harder to set in but they are much more stable and turn more smoothly. Maybe at some point I'll try other things in addition to gears to get more kinds of motion, or maybe more 3D shapes.

Motorised one. Linked to a camera+facerecognition. It turns the gears when people aren't looking at it.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Makeout Patrol posted:

I'm trying to do some black-and-white comic art, using india ink with crow quill pens and brushes. The biggest obstacle right now is putting white lines on black fields. Ideally, I would be filling a black area with a brush and using white ink with the same type of pen nib I'm using for the black lines. Can anyone recommend an ink for this? I tried "Dr Ph. Martin's Bleed Proof White", but it's almost too thick for the nibs, and it stays sticky on the page forever, so if I ever stack the papers or close a sketchbook it smudges all over the place.

What about masking fluid or using wax to resist?

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

When getting your links from imgur, you want to select the 'bbcode' option, then when you paste the links into here, add a t in front of each img. Quote someone else's post that has images in to see how they do it.

I like these; what's the medium, acrylic?

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Choda Dog posted:

Mixed media. I use a variety. Combinations of spray paint, paint pens mostly oil based. Several different brands, but "Painters" is probably my favorite, gouache, sharpies, and a few others I am probably forgetting.

Found the code thing I was looking for thank you for the help! Is posting large images together in the same post going to break tables and against the rules?

Not a mod, but I'm pretty sure that that's why we use the timg version of the img tag. Though I think you probably ought to split them up into seperate posts just for readability

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Keetron posted:

Invite link: https://discord.gg/25e2VpE
There is an artober channel with a series of prompt lists in there.

Yeah, we're not doing Inktober, but we're doign lots of different -tobers; Bot-tober, Thirst-tober, Tarotober, Slow-tober are the ones with lists so far.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

I designed my own christmas card again this year, and had them printed out (£25 including shipping for 50).

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Shellception posted:

Hi thread! I am a goonette with too much free time on my hands. While I cannot really draw or paint anything too impressive, I am used to painting miniatures and also generally comfortable with creating tiny stuff. Lately I have been toying with seashells and coins to try and create small pieces of bisutery. It's fun!

I am now trying to decide if I want to produce those for selling (etsy or similar I guess) or if I'll keep then as quirky gifts for friends and family. They are not perfect by any means, there are some wobbly lines, messwd up paint and other stuff, but they don't look so bad from a distance (I think).

Both these and the bird paintings above are beautiful. Oils scare me - apart from increased ventilation requirements the whole 'your cleaning rags may catch fire' is a bit of a worry.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Choda Dog posted:

Been a while since I posted anything. I just finished this portrait for someone and thrilled I got it done in one day:

That is a sweet birb. I love the texture and colour

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Are you painting on paper that's specifically for acrylics or on standard paper, because it does make a difference.

Also, really neat idea, I might try it myself. I hope your players appreciate the effort you're making for them :)

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

HopperUK of this parish did a whole bunch of Bob Ross with acrylics.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

To get even colour and nice gradations in watercolour wet the area of the paper that you want to paint first, then go in with the pigment.

Also, use two jars of water - one to clean the brush, the other to pick up clean water.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

You can also use less water to make the paint darker.

Don't darken with black - darken with the complementary colour